Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hey there! I could use a little help with adding an option to the Find Tiles in Range function of the Grid Manager
    As I understand it while checking what pawn is in attack range the function looks at the Current Move and Range variables of the unit. I want to add an option to the function that allows only showing pawns in Range (without considering Current Move). I have difficulties understanding all the details of the function so any tips on where/how to implement an option like that would be amazing!

    Comment


      Hello again,

      I am using terrain and therefore - decals. We have different decals for different tiles the game marker in hovering on, depending on cost and range. So my question is, how do I set "Hover marker default material" dynamicly in blueprints? The programmer before me used meshes (instead of decals) and he did it this way:

      Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1125754

      I suppose I have to do the change in the ATBTT_Player Controllers as well? I forgot to mention - I am using version 1.6.
      Last edited by polsds; 03-30-2017, 06:56 AM.

      Comment


        Originally posted by jparker4 View Post
        Super hyped for the next update, Network Multiplayer and Multi-cell units are the features I was most hoping for! Both are integral to my game concept and I was afraid they might be beyond my capabilities to implement. (I'm a 3D artist but have only basic familiarity with coding). If there is any way to assist or support your work on the next update I would love to help.

        Regarding flying units: User Southwind's solution sounds pretty simple and effective. I wonder if it is also simple to set a kind of unit and attack types, such that 'Flying' units can only be hit by 'Ranged' attacks.
        Happy to hear that! These features are indeed pretty hard to implement, which is one of the reasons I've waited so long before attempting to code them. Be warned that it will be quite some time until I've completed them, though. Adding features always takes more time than I expect, and though big units are mostly done at this point and I've got many of the basic features working with multiplayer there is still a long road ahead. Thanks for offering your assistance! One thing I've wanted to add, but haven't been able to because I'm not experienced at animation is a basic ladder-climbing animation. Ladders and the like is something I think I could code quite easily, but it would look really weird without an animation. I have tired to look for creative commons climbing animations, but have not found anything. Is this something you know how to do?

        As for flying units, as mentioned there are many ways to implement this. The one u/Southwind suggested might work in some games, but there are many hidden complexities such as flying over a wall seperating two tiles so that the tiles do not share an edge. I will wait until after the next update until I experiment with something like this.

        Originally posted by Hinado View Post
        Hey there! I could use a little help with adding an option to the Find Tiles in Range function of the Grid Manager
        As I understand it while checking what pawn is in attack range the function looks at the Current Move and Range variables of the unit. I want to add an option to the function that allows only showing pawns in Range (without considering Current Move). I have difficulties understanding all the details of the function so any tips on where/how to implement an option like that would be amazing!
        Hello! Find TIles in Range does not generally have anything to do with the move range. If you run the Find Tiles In Range function on its own all it does is to find tiles in sight range of an index out to the max range defined in the function's input. The reason you might be confused is that at the start of a unit's turn both the Pathfinding and FindTilesInRange functions are run in sequence.

        Originally posted by polsds View Post
        Hello again,

        I am using terrain and therefore - decals. We have different decals for different tiles the game marker in hovering on, depending on cost and range. So my question is, how do I set "Hover marker default material" dynamicly in blueprints? The programmer before me used meshes (instead of decals) and he did it this way:

        [ATTACH=CONFIG]135294[/ATTACH]

        I suppose I have to do the change in the ATBTT_Player Controllers as well? I forgot to mention - I am using version 1.6.
        Here is a very basic setup for switching the material of the hover marker when pressing '1':

        Click image for larger version

Name:	77SHxIi.png
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1125758

        Does that help you understand how to set it up as you want?
        Last edited by Monokkel; 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM.
        Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

        Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

        Discord

        Comment


          Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
          Happy to hear that! These features are indeed pretty hard to implement, which is one of the reasons I've waited so long before attempting to code them. Be warned that it will be quite some time until I've completed them, though. Adding features always takes more time than I expect, and though big units are mostly done at this point and I've got many of the basic features working with multiplayer there is still a long road ahead. Thanks for offering your assistance! One thing I've wanted to add, but haven't been able to because I'm not experienced at animation is a basic ladder-climbing animation. Ladders and the like is something I think I could code quite easily, but it would look really weird without an animation. I have tired to look for creative commons climbing animations, but have not found anything. Is this something you know how to do?

          As for flying units, as mentioned there are many ways to implement this. The one u/Southwind suggested might work in some games, but there are many hidden complexities such as flying over a wall seperating two tiles so that the tiles do not share an edge. I will wait until after the next update until I experiment with something like this.



          Hello! Find TIles in Range does not generally have anything to do with the move range. If you run the Find Tiles In Range function on its own all it does is to find tiles in sight range of an index out to the max range defined in the function's input. The reason you might be confused is that at the start of a unit's turn both the Pathfinding and FindTilesInRange functions are run in sequence.



          Here is a very basic setup for switching the material of the hover marker when pressing '1':

          [ATTACH=CONFIG]135301[/ATTACH]

          Does that help you understand how to set it up as you want?
          Perfect! Thanks!

          Comment


            Originally posted by polsds View Post
            Perfect! Thanks!
            Happy to help!

            4l50, c0n6r47ul4710n5 0n 7hr34d c0mm3n7 #1337!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Congratulations-Wishes-Banner.png
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1125759
            Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

            Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

            Discord

            Comment


              Hi Monokkel,

              I ran into a problem when I tried to use terrain with the grid manager. First of all, the terrain is huge. I placed the grid manager underneath, with height of about 1000 units, which is sufficien to cover all my "mountains". The grid size is 200 x 400. I am using tracing for the heightmap. When I place the main player high up on the terrain map, the movement marker does not show, or more like, it shows in red (which means the tiles next to my unit are unreachable or unwalkable).The spline does not spawn, as well. If, however, I place my main player on a lower position, start the game and gradually reach the same high point, the spline spawns correctly, and the whole system works as it should.

              Upon further investigation, I noticed that it has to do with the placement index of the player pawn. The index, aparently, goes out of bonds. As I said, the grid size is 200 x 400 = 80 000 tiles, i.e. 80 000 indexes. Then why does the placement index in the second image goes to that large number?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	2
Size:	903.2 KB
ID:	1125935 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	2
Size:	883.2 KB
ID:	1125936

              Comment


                [MENTION=8854]polsds[/MENTION]: are your heightmaps set to multilevel or from tracing? If it is multilevel the grid manager will use traces at the start of the game to determine whether there are multiple levels. If it finds that there are two levels of meshes blocking PathTrace that are a sufficiently large distance apart it will add a new level, effectively doubling the size of the grid (160000 tiles in your case). If you have selected mutlilayer I'm guessing that the trace hits the landscape and then continues downwards and finds the collision plane of the grid manager (disabling "collision plane walkable" prevents this). Check if this is your problem and let me know. If this does not fix it I'll consider other possibilities, though I do not immediately see any.
                Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                Discord

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                  [MENTION=8854]polsds[/MENTION]: are your heightmaps set to multilevel or from tracing? If it is multilevel the grid manager will use traces at the start of the game to determine whether there are multiple levels. If it finds that there are two levels of meshes blocking PathTrace that are a sufficiently large distance apart it will add a new level, effectively doubling the size of the grid (160000 tiles in your case). If you have selected mutlilayer I'm guessing that the trace hits the landscape and then continues downwards and finds the collision plane of the grid manager (disabling "collision plane walkable" prevents this). Check if this is your problem and let me know. If this does not fix it I'll consider other possibilities, though I do not immediately see any.
                  Well, I am using "from tracing" with the heightmap. Disabling or enabling "collision plane walkable" seems to have no effect.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by polsds View Post
                    Well, I am using "from tracing" with the heightmap. Disabling or enabling "collision plane walkable" seems to have no effect.
                    You are pushing the size of the grid quite a bit further than what I have really tested for, but I don't think that is it. I've tried to recreate your grid/terrain and I'm not seeing the same problem. The toolkit does hit the loop limit at begin play, however. I'll need to look into the specific issues for very large grids. But like I said, I'm not seeing your problem. Are you using the latest version of the toolkit?
                    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                    Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                    Discord

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                      You are pushing the size of the grid quite a bit further than what I have really tested for, but I don't think that is it. I've tried to recreate your grid/terrain and I'm not seeing the same problem. The toolkit does hit the loop limit at begin play, however. I'll need to look into the specific issues for very large grids. But like I said, I'm not seeing your problem. Are you using the latest version of the toolkit?
                      No, I am using version 1.6.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by polsds View Post
                        No, I am using version 1.6.
                        That explains it. This is a bug that was fixed in 1.7. The issue lies in the construction script of Unit_Parent. Here is what you need to change it to:

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	eypz3Us.png
Views:	1
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	1125943
                        Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                        Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                        Discord

                        Comment


                          Hey [MENTION=4318]Monokkel[/MENTION], I was able to find all the solutions to my problems, Just missed some pin placements and stuff, it is all good now!

                          Thanks again!

                          Comment


                            Hi Monokkel
                            I have an issue on a pawn rotation implementation during the initialisation.
                            after I select an other pawn, everything work fine, even with the first pawn.
                            any idea is welcome...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	rotation_pb_init.png
Views:	1
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	1125953

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by 0thy View Post
                              Hi Monokkel
                              I have an issue on a pawn rotation implementation during the initialisation.
                              after I select an other pawn, everything work fine, even with the first pawn.
                              any idea is welcome...
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]135869[/ATTACH]
                              Hmm, I don't know why this should not work. Maybe the game is just not in focus so no input is registering? If you have not already, try clicking anywhere in the viewport after playing in editor and before pressing left or right. If this does not work, try adding a Print String node anywhere in your node structure to see if the events fire at all. If they do, try printing the name of the current unit using PrintString to see if it is empty. If it still does not work, report back to me and I'll see if I can figure it out.
                              Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                              Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                              Discord

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                                That explains it. This is a bug that was fixed in 1.7. The issue lies in the construction script of Unit_Parent. Here is what you need to change it to:

                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]135811[/ATTACH]

                                Ok, cool. And where do I add the Grid Locations array? Do I add it to the grid manager BP class?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X