No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol - I guess you could also just call them 'square' and 'rectangular' units.

Comment

Also to build on what HeadClot said. If you are going to be refactoring code, you might want to consider moving the camera and some other things out of the GameMode class. Eventually you will want to make this a networked game and GameMode will not exist on the clients machines.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
        Hey [MENTION=4318]Monokkel[/MENTION] - Since you are going to go back and restructure parts of the kit.

Make use of components. This would allow us to make use of functionality we need and exclude stuff we do not need. It will also save allot of headaches due to the logic being modular.

I am really looking forward towards the Large creature support and Networked Multiplayer.

Keep up the amazing work,
        HeadClot
        That is a good idea, HeadClot. I have considered adding components before, but did not find any obvious use for them. But I can see how both multi-tile units and units with skill-arrays are good candidates for components. I'll test it out and see if it is a good solution. Are there any other features in particular you were thinking of where using components would be beneficial?

Originally posted by antsonthetree View Post
        Lol - I guess you could also just call them 'square' and 'rectangular' units.
        Well yeah, that is a good way to describe it, though a square is technically a rectangle

Also to build on what HeadClot said. If you are going to be refactoring code, you might want to consider moving the camera and some other things out of the GameMode class. Eventually you will want to make this a networked game and GameMode will not exist on the clients machines.
        Yes, this is one of the thing's I'm doing. One of the reasons I am refactoring at all is to implement networked multiplayer, and a major reworking of the game mode is part of that.

Edit: I appreciate all the input from everyone. If you are someone who is reading this thread and has been using the toolkit and have been annoyed by anything or thought that something could be done better, now is the best time to let me know, since I am in the process of refactoring.
        Last edited by Monokkel; 03-24-2017, 04:12 PM.
        Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

hi i want to know if possible to do a dynamic combat in certain part like dofus but possible to have reinforcement. And i want to know too how can put the attack, skill like ff7 thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Seikei View Post
            hi i want to know if possible to do a dynamic combat in certain part like dofus but possible to have reinforcement. And i want to know too how can put the attack, skill like ff7 thank you!
            Hi Seikei. Could you be a bit more specific? I have not played dofus, and I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic combat or reinforcement. New units can be spawned at any time using the Spawn Unit function in BP_GridManager if that is what you are asking. I'm not sure what you mean concerning attack skill in ff7 either. Could you explain the end result you want to achieve?

Discord

Comment

in ff7 when go on combat you have option like xcom to do some attack
              attack (sword attack)
              magic( fire magic, ice magic, and lot more)
              item ( you can use what you have in your inventory like potion, or grenade)
              skip turn ( if you dont want to attack)

in dofus when you go on combat you be tranfer in some parallel to do your combat (no one can join exept at the trigger of the combat)
              the what i want is not go in parallel and able to get reinforcement so anyone can join the combat at any time
              and have a free mod when not in combat to go where i want.
              Last edited by Seikei; 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Check out the included tactical game example which has a skill system similar to the one you descrive (including skipping a turn). It is in Maps/SciFi/Jungle_Raid. I've made a video describing some of this here.

Your second question only seems to relate to networked multiplayer games, and probably only to MMO-style games at that. ATBTT does not currently have networked multiplayer support and even when it does (planned for the next update) I have no plans for adding anything related to having persistent worlds with large numbers of players. Anything like that you would have to add yourself, though I'll provide input to the best of my ability when you get to that point.

Discord

Comment

Hello Monokkel,

Something that you might be able to fit into your refactor is flying/hovering units. Similar to the ones in XCom. Probably just need a way to prevent adjacent tiles from hitting with melee depending on the flyers height. Flying may also affect the cover system too. Anyway just a thought.

Jake

Comment

Hello Monokkel,

What I am trying to do i create a base C++ class for all your blueprints and copy all the logic over. The idea is Eventually I want to convert what I can of the logic into code. So I created a gridmanager C++ class, put all the variables in there and have them function in blueprint. I then went through your construction script and basically copied everything over (functions and macros included). However I have came across a couple issues. I figure It would be because i missed something in the logic or typed in the wrong number, So I was hoping you can possibly put me in the right direction instead of me going through all of the script again to look for it.

The issues are with the collision plane and the Square Tile setup. The square tiles do not showup when "ShowDefaultTile" is checked. However when I click HexGrid to true, The square tiles do show up in the Hex formation.

With the Collision Plane, it scales to the grid size, but is bigger then what it is suppose to be.

Im sure there might be more, but these are the noticeable ones right away, and if i could just get some help on where in the construct script that these issues might be that would be awesome, if not I will look through it all carefully and see where i went wrong

Ill attach screenshots for a better explanation.

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

Matthew Douglas

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	908.9 KB
ID:	1125240Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	935.7 KB
ID:	1125241

Comment

Hello Monokkel,

Something that you might be able to fit into your refactor is flying/hovering units. Similar to the ones in XCom. Probably just need a way to prevent adjacent tiles from hitting with melee depending on the flyers height. Flying may also affect the cover system too. Anyway just a thought.

Jake
                      Hi Jake, thanks for the suggestion. Flying units are one of those things that is done very differently in various TBS games, so it is not something I see myself adding to the base toolkit, but perhaps I'd add some variant of this in an example map. Pergaps in the Jungle Raid map as I think you suggest. The main problem to solve for flying units is pathfinding, which would have to be quite different than for other units. They would not only have to ignore edge costs, but also move between tiles that don't even have an edge and move along an intelligent spline that could change altitude to fly over walls etc. In any case I will not be adding this to the next update as I'm trying to keep the list of needed features short and this is something I believe can be added on top of the rest at a later point.

Discord

Comment

Hello,

My name is Stefan. I am working on a turn-based game with the grid manager, version 1.6. My question is - when I add a grid manager in a level and add units / props, their placement index gets calculated automatically. The thing is, when I change the grid size (the number of rows and columns), the grid placement index does not get updated automatically, for items, already on the grid. I suppose I can edit the construction scrip of the GridManager and refresh / recalculate all the placement indexes once they are changed. Is there a simpler way around it that I failed to notice? Thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=433175]MatthewDouglas[/MENTION]: Hello Matthew. I've looked through the blueprints and tried to figure out what might be wrong, but I'm not entirely sure. If you want to send me a copy I can look through the code and try to find where there is a discrepancy. Very odd that the default tile shows when hex grid is set to true but not otherwise. Those should not be related. The size of the collision plane is done in a macro with lots of regular math nodes (I plan to change this to a math expression node), so imagine it is easy to miss something when converting. Try looking through it carefully again.

[MENTION=8854]polsds[/MENTION]: Hi Stefan. What I do if I resize the grid is to mark all the units and tiles in the Scene outliner and move them away and back again. That should cause all their construction scripts to update the actor's component locations and variables appropriately. Is this sufficient for what you are doing or are you resizing the grid manager constantly for some reason and need a more automated fix? If so you could always have the grid manager construction script loop through all actors of the Unit and Tile classes and perform the same operations on them as are normally done in these blueprints themselves.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                            [MENTION=433175]MatthewDouglas[/MENTION]: Hello Matthew. I've looked through the blueprints and tried to figure out what might be wrong, but I'm not entirely sure. If you want to send me a copy I can look through the code and try to find where there is a discrepancy. Very odd that the default tile shows when hex grid is set to true but not otherwise. Those should not be related. The size of the collision plane is done in a macro with lots of regular math nodes (I plan to change this to a math expression node), so imagine it is easy to miss something when converting. Try looking through it carefully again.

[MENTION=8854]polsds[/MENTION]: Hi Stefan. What I do if I resize the grid is to mark all the units and tiles in the Scene outliner and move them away and back again. That should cause all their construction scripts to update the actor's component locations and variables appropriately. Is this sufficient for what you are doing or are you resizing the grid manager constantly for some reason and need a more automated fix? If so you could always have the grid manager construction script loop through all actors of the Unit and Tile classes and perform the same operations on them as are normally done in these blueprints themselves.
                            I will probably just use the simpler solution of moving all the entities. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by polsds View Post
                              I will probably just use the simpler solution of moving all the entities. Thanks!
                              No problem! That is the best solution in most cases anyway. I could add something like what I mentioned to the construction script of the grid manager, but I don't think it would be worth the slight added time when compiling the grid manager compared to how useful it would be.

Discord

Comment

Super hyped for the next update, Network Multiplayer and Multi-cell units are the features I was most hoping for! Both are integral to my game concept and I was afraid they might be beyond my capabilities to implement. (I'm a 3D artist but have only basic familiarity with coding). If there is any way to assist or support your work on the next update I would love to help.

Regarding flying units: User Southwind's solution sounds pretty simple and effective. I wonder if it is also simple to set a kind of unit and attack types, such that 'Flying' units can only be hit by 'Ranged' attacks.
                                Last edited by jparker4; 03-29-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X