No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the quick reply, its working great .

Comment

I love the kit, but there are a few things I get stuck with due to a lack of understanding. Is there any detailed documentation or tutorials for the kit?
      Also, for this latest update (I've yet to play with it but cant wait), I was wondering what approach should I take to make my enemies do both ranged attacks, and melee attacks (assuming the player gets quite close to them)?

Comment

Originally posted by LDodds View Post
        Cant wait, thanks for keeping this going!
        My pleasure I'll probably take a break for a few weeks and work on some other stuff for a little while. The final sprint went on for a lot longer than I planned.

Originally posted by cbdeakin View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply, its working great .
        Thanks for making me aware of the bug so I could fix it
        The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

Just out of interest, is there out-of-the-box support for larger units? Imagine a fantasy game with a troll unit, for example, that would take up an area / space of 3 tiles by itself?

Comment

Originally posted by DanielBennifer View Post
            Just out of interest, is there out-of-the-box support for larger units? Imagine a fantasy game with a troll unit, for example, that would take up an area / space of 3 tiles by itself?
            There is not such support out of the box, no. It has been requested quite a few times, and the reason I have not added this yet is that it is very difficult to make a general solution. Particularly having one system take into account both hex, square and (particularly) multi-level grids is very challenging. It is much easier to implement this for a game where all this is specified in advance. I want to add this in the future, but probably in a concrete game example.

Comment

The new update is out! I'll be making a video covering the new features when I have the time, but for now take a look for yourselves. The two most obvious additions is the new example game utilizing cover, skill systems and advanced AI which can be found in Maps/SciFi/Jungle_Raid and the VR example map in Maps/VR.

The jungle raid map utlilizes some fantastic creative commons assets created by u/invluse on reddit (here is a link to a description and all the assets). These assets are licensed under creative commons zero, which means that anyone is free to use them for commercial use without even crediting the creator (though I still think anyone who uses them definitely should). The skeletal meshes in this asset pack were not rigged, but have been rigged by unreal user u/Bankworthy (thanks!).

The contents of this update are a tad more experimental than my usual updates. I have experimented with a lot of different stuff, so there are problably quite a few bugs that I haven't gotten to. Please let me know if you run into anything that doesn't seem to be acting the way it should. The blueprints contained in Jungle Raid are intended to serve as an inspiration and as a possible way of doing things, not as the best possible solution for all games. All of the features in this map are not completely generic, which means that users might have to make adjustments to implement them in different sorts of maps.

For anyone who owns a Vive I recommend checking out the VR game example and tell me if you have any feedback. This map is pretty basic, and just has the minimum required to get input from the motion controllers to interact with the toolkit. In the future I will be looking into expanding this example and add support for different sorts of input ++

Enjoy!

Comment

Hi, congrats on the new update release!

ATBTT is an amazing toolkit, thank you for your hard work in creating it.

I have a question regarding multiplayer. Can you give an educated guess as to whether ATBTT could have multiplayer added? Do you think there might be any fundamental reasons why it might not?

A simple 'listen' server setup seems doable. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ver/index.html

And at the core, I feel like it shouldn't be too terribly difficult, and mostly a matter of setting up the Actors to be replicatable, as well as all properties, and then add RPC's to all the effects and such to make sure each player sees the same things going on. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ng/Blueprints/

Is there any reason those additions would be especially difficult/impossible?

THANK YOU again for this great toolkit and for taking the time to answer questions!

Comment

Originally posted by Malibu Lizard View Post
                  I love the kit, but there are a few things I get stuck with due to a lack of understanding. Is there any detailed documentation or tutorials for the kit?
                  Also, for this latest update (I've yet to play with it but cant wait), I was wondering what approach should I take to make my enemies do both ranged attacks, and melee attacks (assuming the player gets quite close to them)?
                  Sorry, I seem to have missed your comment since we posted almost at the same time.

I do not have a written documentation, but I have made more than five hours of tutorials that are available on my YouTube channel. Check the first post of this thread.

In the latest update enemies can have any number of skills and will compare these to each other to determine what skill is best used in a situation. If you add a melee skill and want enemy units to prefer using this over ranged attacks when player units are close you should modify the functions that sets the AI Estimated Value variable of this skill to output a higher value the lower the distance is to an enemy.

Originally posted by jparker4 View Post
                  Hi, congrats on the new update release!

ATBTT is an amazing toolkit, thank you for your hard work in creating it.

I have a question regarding multiplayer. Can you give an educated guess as to whether ATBTT could have multiplayer added? Do you think there might be any fundamental reasons why it might not?

A simple 'listen' server setup seems doable. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ver/index.html

And at the core, I feel like it shouldn't be too terribly difficult, and mostly a matter of setting up the Actors to be replicatable, as well as all properties, and then add RPC's to all the effects and such to make sure each player sees the same things going on. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ng/Blueprints/

Is there any reason those additions would be especially difficult/impossible?

THANK YOU again for this great toolkit and for taking the time to answer questions!
                  Multiplayer is one of the most requested features, and I want to look into implementing it in the future. I'm considering making this a priority now that the new update is finally out, though I have not entirely made up my mind yet. I believe the toolkit is well suited for adding multiplayer, and some users have done so with success already. I think what you describe with using a listen server makes sense, though I have not experimented with multiplayer yet myself, so I cannot answer from personal experience. If you decide to try it out, let me know if you find any major roadblocks.

Comment

This is purely hypothetical, but have you ever considered making custom versions of the toolkit to fit individual needs, for a fee higher than that of the 'base' toolkit? Or making multiple turn based toolkits (one focused on rpg, one on old school strategy, one on multiplayer, one on tactical games, for example) to sell separately but at slightly price then the main toolkit? I know this is more of a spare time project for you and takes alot of personal time, I'm thankful people like you contribute to the UE marketplace, which hopefully one day will match the Unity marketplace in terms of quantity. I don't know if UE marketplace assets make much income for the developers but I hope they do in the larger more complex assets I've seen, like this, the ccg toolkit, the sidescroller shooter toolkit, the tower defence/fps toolkit, and others I've seen that seem really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Malibu Lizard View Post
                      This is purely hypothetical, but have you ever considered making custom versions of the toolkit to fit individual needs, for a fee higher than that of the 'base' toolkit? Or making multiple turn based toolkits (one focused on rpg, one on old school strategy, one on multiplayer, one on tactical games, for example) to sell separately but at slightly price then the main toolkit? I know this is more of a spare time project for you and takes alot of personal time, I'm thankful people like you contribute to the UE marketplace, which hopefully one day will match the Unity marketplace in terms of quantity. I don't know if UE marketplace assets make much income for the developers but I hope they do in the larger more complex assets I've seen, like this, the ccg toolkit, the sidescroller shooter toolkit, the tower defence/fps toolkit, and others I've seen that seem really cool.
                      Sure, I did consider something like this at some point, but in the end I think that would be worse for both me and users of the toolkit. Many of the modifications and improvements I make for the toolkit could benefit many genres of turn based strategy games, and having multiple versions would mean that I would have to implement any such changes in all versions, increasing my workload. I also thinks it helps sales for users to know that if they make one purchase they will get all future features I add. My goal was always to make the sort of asset I would love to have bought when I first started using the engine, and as someone interested in all sorts of TBS games, a generic framework is what I have made. This only goes so far, though, as many interesting features are specific to certain genres. For this reason I have made example games demonstrating more genre specific features, such as the included 2D dungeon crawler map and the new XCOM-style tactical combat map.

Comment

I just purchased your toolkit last week and experience using Unreal only a few weeks longer than that maybe. I have a project all setup in SVN source control, and while it may be easier for me to just start a new project to utilize your new version of the toolkit, I find this may be a good exercise to see how upgrading your toolkit in an existing project becomes viable as we go into the future and an inevitable 1.8 gets released with more great features.

So would I go about upgrading my project with the new update. Maybe a better question is how do you use the toolkit in a project: Do you keep the base blueprints in the default folder of AdvanceTurnBaseTileToolkit and create child blueprints of everything placed in the root project folder? A normal programming project would have an asset folder or 3rd party library folder, so in my experience that is what I would expect, but I am unsure the practices of Unreal. It seems some people just basically create their game in the existing blueprints provided by your toolkit, adding more functionality that way.

I guess the simple question boils down to:

Do you have a solution to easily upgrade 1.6->1.7?
                        Last edited by Curiosichi; 02-22-2017, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Hello Curiosichi, there does not really exist a perfect way of upgrading from one version to another, though I do my best to make it easier by marking clearly where changes have been made. If you have the intention to upgrade to new versions in the future the best strategy is to to as you suggested and create child blueprints of the main ones. When it comes to folder structure that is actually something I'm doing a major overhaul of at the moment. Future updates will have the most important parent blueprints in a core folder and variants of these in other folders. The way I'm doing it at the moment is okay, but some of the folders are a bit redundant and asset naming could be more consistent. But in any case what you should be doing if you want upgrading to be as easy as possible is to make a separate folder for all your custom assets and child blueprints of the base toolkit blueprints (with its own folder hierarchy inside).

Comment

Hello, I tried to play around with the AI controller to make AI not consider a player unit that is "cloaked" as a potential target. I added a check inside Find Units in Range in the AI controller. Result: The AI doesn't move to player unit, however a marker does appear under the player unit and the AI unit simply move to the tile at index 0.

Do I need to do the cloak check in multiple places? Is there a place I can do it once?

Thanks
                            Last edited by haigotron; 02-23-2017, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by haigotron View Post
                              Hello, I tried to play around with the AI controller to make AI not consider a player unit that is "cloaked" as a potential target. I added a check inside Find Units in Range in the AI controller. Result: The AI doesn't move to player unit, however a marker does appear under the player unit and the AI unit simply move to the tile at index 0.

Do I need to do the cloak check in multiple places? Is there a place I can do it once?

Thanks
                              I'm going to assume you're using the latest update for this as I added some stuff there which makes this sort of thing easier to add. I would recommend adding this in the Choose Target part of the AI controller. If stealth is common in your game I recommend replacing the Keep Indexes With Relevant Units function with a duplicate of this function, where you also check if units are cloaked. In your duplicate function create a new boolean input, perhaps called Exclude Cloaked Units. After the branch in the function checking whether a unit has the appropriate faction add a new branch where you check if the same unit is cloaked. If it is, remove it from the Local Index Array. Remember to replace the Keep Indexes with Relevant Units function in the event graph of the AI controller with your new function.

Comment

I've created a child blueprint to add to the 'unit_skill', the child blueprint is basically a weapon blueprint, that holds all weapon information like, mesh, sound effect, damage, range, and all of that kind of stuff. I've also made my own Damage interface blueprint so I can freely pass variables from weapon blueprint, Unit blueprints and skill blueprints, and use my own formulas to calculate damage. I'm pretty sure I replaced all 'Receive damage' events with my own Damage interface but it's not firing off when I test my game. Please explain to me, exactly how the scifi examples handles damage, so I can figure out what I've missed out, maybe didn't replace, or a step I skipped during the transition from your damage to my own?
                                I apologise if this question feels quite vague, I just don't know what kind of information you would need to help me out.

Comment

Working...
                                X