No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something else I just noticed. Although the toolkit says add to project, when you hit that button, it brings up the create project dialog...

J^2

Comment

Originally posted by J. J. Franzen View Post
      Started a blank project with the updated toolkit, and no problems under OS X. At least, I think it's the new kit. Is there anything on your BP or toolkit that shows a version number? That will become necessary as more versions are released and people start having multiple projects with different revisions of the toolkit in them. Just a thought. Cheers,

J^2
      Yeah, I tried with both 4.7 and 4.6 versions(with the respective versions of the BP as well), I get the same error above every-time. It's the latest version of it since I only purchased it yesterday.
      Last edited by VFe; 03-17-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Hi VFe and J.J. Franzen, thanks for giving me the bug reports. I do not own a Mac, and have thus not have the opportunity to test the toolkit on one. That J.J. Franzen gets it working shows that using a Mac itself isn't the problem, though I have no idea what might be causing it. I will contact Epic and see if they can help me sort it out. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem yet, but it might be a problem with the new patch. If I send you an older version could you check out to see if it works? If nothing works I guess you'll have to ask for a refund to Epic. I hope we can find a solution, though. If anyone else reading this thread is having the same problem, please let me know.

@J.J. Franzen: Ok, a few things to answer here. Firstly, it seems the pack can no longer be added to projects, only to create new projects (though it still appears as add to project in the vault). I'm unsure if this is an error by Epic, or if they never wanted people to be able to add it to projects in the first place (since it alters the config file). I'm trying to get an answer about this from Epic. If you want to add it to a project anyway, what you have to do is create a new project with the ATBTT and migrate its entire Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit folder to the project you want to add it to. You also have to copy the config file from the new ATBTT project to the one you want to add it to.

You have an eye for finding bugs quickly, and I thank you for it. The invincible pawn bug is caused by a very small error I did in creating the pregenerate gameplay grids function. It is extremely easy to fix, and really annoying that I didn't catch it. It is caused by the toolkit making the arrays containing pawns one index too small, causing the last index (the corner tile with the problem) to count as empty. I will send a hotfix to Epic immediately. In the meantime, this is how you fix it. In the Pregenerate Gameplay Grids Function, remove the highlighted minus node.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tGsyWF2.png
Views:	1
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1070586
        The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

Always happy to help fix things, even if it's just finding what's broken. Do you have some form of versioning in place that I can check to verify I have the proper latest version in place since updating from the marketplace only updates the source, not anything already in a project? I think it will come in very handy down the road. I haven't been able to get much done with your toolkit yet as I've been cranking out tiles and such for Zues, but I'm reached a good pausing point so I'm going to take another stab at making a proper ipad interface over your system. If I come up with something interesting is it something you'd like to get or are you working on something like that yourself? Cheers,

J^2

Comment

Good idea to include some for of versioning. Do you know how this is commonly done in marketplace releases? There are probably a few ways I can do it, though if there is a standard solution it would probably be better to use that one.

Great to hear you're still working on the meshes. Can't wait to see how Zeustiak's world generator will look with proper meshes.

Thanks for the offer of creating a proper ipad interface. I have started working on mobile support myself, but I got sidetracked working on height maps and grid auto generation. I plan to return to it soon, though. I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to stuff I'm developing, so I probably wouldn't implement any sokution you found directly, but if you developed one I would love to have a look at it for inspiration in making my own

Comment

Well, yours was the first, and only, blueprint asset I've bought so I haven't seen any examples of someone using a version system yet. You could do something as simple as adding a variable to your main grid BP that simply contains a version number in it. Just increment it each time you submit an update perhaps?

Also, I completely understand not wanting to use anyone else's BP. Hell is other people's code. Cheers,

J^2

Comment

Hi Monokkel, I just had a few questions.

1) Do you have a list on what you are trying to implement in the future? I was just curious to know what else you were doing with the toolkit. It's an awesome kit and fun to mess around with. I'm still trying to learn UE4 and this kit is a nice place to start even though I still don't understand half of it.

2) This is more of a question for everyone really. I have been trying to figure out a good way to add healing to vehicles in a sci-fi fantasy style game. Imagine if you had a large army of tanks or planes, how could you heal them other then the basic "repair" at a facility or mobile repair unit? I feel like fantasy style healing spells would feel a bit weird to use on mechanical objects. Just thought I would ask around and see if anyone has ever played anything with a good fantasy healing system for mechanical units.
                Last edited by DukuDragon; 03-19-2015, 03:06 PM.

Comment

@J.J:Franzen: Using a variable as a version number is probably a good way to do it. I could even place the version variables at all points in the blueprint graphs where the newest changes have been made. That way you can search for the variable and find all the appropriate areas, perhaps with a comment describing the changes.

As to your soulution for touch support I'd still very much like to see what you come up with

@DukuDragon: For your second question you're not asking about the game mechanics of healing, but how you are going to justify instant healing in a world without magic, right? If it is sci-fi enough this isn't much of a problem, following Arthur C. Clarke's third law of prediction, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. You could just say it's a cloud of nano-robots or whatever. And what is wrong with repair facilities and mobile repair units? Is there something about these solution that you feel are limiting from a game mechanical standpoint?

As for your second question I've long though about making a list of planned features. I guess now is as good a time as any. Ok, here goes:

Planned Features (Percentage Completed)
                  - Have movable and visible tiles in range meshes conform to the underlying landscape (95%)
                  - Auto generate walkability and grid maps based on terrain without having to place tile meshes (80%)
                  - Add more options for displayng and calculating visibility and pathfinding (sprinting, multi-turn movement (Civ-style), displaying walkability and visibility simultaneously) (50%)
                  - Adding the option of spreading demanding operations over multiple ticks, improving performance on weaker hardware (50%)
                  - Improved support for using sprites and 2D assets (30%)
                  - Touch controls (10%)
                  - Increase modularity of blueprints.
                  - Add example maps of more specific TBS genres with custom code:
                  --- 4X strategy (building and exploring)
                  --- XCOM-like (Cover system ++)
                  --- D&D-like (Dungeon visibility, complex game mechanics)
                  - True height maps with overlapping grids.
                  - Multiplayer support.
                  - Units larger than one tile.

I think those are the big ones, though I've probably forgotten a few.
                  Last edited by Monokkel; 03-20-2015, 08:23 AM.

Comment

That's an awesome looking feature list. Can't wait to get my grubbies on it. Cheers,

J^2

Comment

Very nice! I can't wait to see the new features in action. I'm really looking forward to the terrain features.

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                      @J.J:Franzen: @DukuDragon: For your second question you're not asking about the game mechanics of healing, but how you are going to justify instant healing in a world without magic, right? If it is sci-fi enough this isn't much of a problem, following Arthur C. Clarke's third law of prediction, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. You could just say it's a cloud of nano-robots or whatever. And what is wrong with repair facilities and mobile repair units? Is there something about these solution that you feel are limiting from a game mechanical standpoint?
                      As for the above, I don't mind the repair facilities and mobile repair units at all. I will probably end up going with that style anyways but I was just trying to think of other ways to justify the healing of mechanical units. I do like the nano-robots idea though and it would look pretty cool as a particle effect.

Comment

Hi Monokkel, I'v got a question. How do i change the actor(pawn) movement speed?

Comment

Originally posted by be LSDeath View Post
                          Hi Monokkel, I'v got a question. How do i change the actor(pawn) movement speed?
                          Hi. With the current setup speed is dependent of the move speed of the pawns. That way, a pawn with a max move speed of 6 moves twice as fast across the grid as one with a max move speed of 3. I thought that made sense, and would eliminate the sorts of situations you see in some games with enemies with slow walk speeds but high movement/turn slowly snailing their way across huge distances. I know a lot of people might want to do it differently, so I'll want to implement different solutions in the future. At the moment you can adjust the relative speed of all pawns on the map by increasing the public variables Pawn Movement Speed Scale, Pawn Movement Speed Acceleration and Pawn Max Speed in the Grid Manager blueprint. If you want to modify the way speed is handlet, take a look at the "Follow Path" part of the main event graph in the Grid Manager blueprint.

Comment

I'm currently working my way through the videos and I've built up quite a list of questions. I figured it might be easier to put them all here rather than randomly through the YouTube playlist.
                            after going through my questions I'm sure allot of them will be a simple yes I guess I would like a quick explanation for how this toolkit could do them.

1: The visibility range is cool though I've been wondering. can you have a building or base with a roof that you can't see enemy pawns inside unless you have a pawn in the building? also to be able to walk on top of the roof?... could this be done with invisable tiles/rooms?

2: Another thing I was wondering about is say you have an open map with trees and rocks laying around can you delete sections of a grid and put a river or crevice in the map than place a bridge over the gap? if it's a crevice it would be cool to place a ramp on either side going down into it than up to the normal level.
                            2B: is it possible to have sections of water/mud that units can walk or swim through?

3: Can you hide in a block say a wooden crate and have that crate take damage?

4: Can you have a half block high wall and have it absorb hits and take damage?
                            4B: If 2 pawns are standing behind each other can a 3rd pawn shoot a spear or lazier beam through both them and have it so the pawn behind take less damage?

5: Can you have pawns use equipment to change their stats and abilities?
                            5B: would it be possible to have say vehicles where one or more pawns can ride in and have the vechial take damage and only kill the pawn(s) if the vehicle blows up?

6: With an empty pawn will I be able to set up options so the player can change what faction it's apart of? (story reasons)

7: When you were talking about looking around blocks it got me thinking. what if you had a window or a clear block of ice is there a way to look through it but have it be a solid object?
                            7B: If I wanted to place say a rock between squares can I change the way pawns see and behave when it comes to moving and attacking around those objects?
                            7C: If I have oddly shaped blocks like a pillar or paramid can I set it up so the movement and visibality changes around that object?

8: can you controll what direction a pawn is facing and have features set so it takes more damage from the side or has less evasion from behind?
                            8B: can you change the death animation bassed on the direction the pawn is being attacked from?

more a comment than a question. I would like to see animations able detect and than climb short walls, fences, and ladders too. Also having the death animation take height into account so it could fall down a hill or off a wall.
                            -Thanks for going through my list of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kairon Woulfgang View Post
                              I'm currently working my way through the videos and I've built up quite a list of questions. I figured it might be easier to put them all here rather than randomly through the YouTube playlist.
                              after going through my questions I'm sure allot of them will be a simple yes I guess I would like a quick explanation for how this toolkit could do them.
                              Hi Kairon, I'll try replying to all your question in turn. First I would like to note, though, that the toolkit can be modified to include most features you can think of, but that it will in most cases require work on your part. I have created the toolkit with the goal of making a generic framework for all sorts of grid based turn based strategy games. These sorts of games are very varied and have a lot of different rules, so I've focused on creating features that are common to most or all such games.

In the future I plan to make example levels that show off some more genre specific features (see my planned features list), but that won’t be added for some time. As such, I do not have out of the box solutions for a lot of the things you are asking, as most of them are quite game specific. However, I will give you estimates for how difficult I believe it would be to add the different features you are mentioning, as well as short explanations of how they could be added.

1: The visibility range is cool though I've been wondering. can you have a building or base with a roof that you can't see enemy pawns inside unless you have a pawn in the building? also to be able to walk on top of the roof?... could this be done with invisable tiles/rooms?
                              For the first part of the question, you can have pawns inside a building with a roof, and by default you would naturally not be able to see through the roof mesh. There are a few ways you could add this, though. One simple way would be to add a collision volume inside the building. Set it up so that when there are one or more pawns with faction set to player inside the volume, the roof becomes invisible (the roof should be an actor, so you can modify its mesh's visibility on runtime).

For the second part, you can have pawns walk on the roof on the building, but not if the inside of the building is also walkable. The toolkit does not currently support layered grids, where a pawn can stand on a tile directly above or below another pawn. This is a requested feature that I plan to add in the future, but it will take me a while to get there.

2: Another thing I was wondering about is say you have an open map with trees and rocks laying around can you delete sections of a grid and put a river or crevice in the map than place a bridge over the gap? if it's a crevice it would be cool to place a ramp on either side going down into it than up to the normal level.
                              2B: is it possible to have sections of water/mud that units can walk or swim through?
                              If I understand the first part of your question correctly, then yes, that’s something you can do by default. Just set the walkability of your rivers and crevices to whatever is appropriate. For a crevice that can be entered and exited on each side you could place invisible walls along its edges or you could use automatic walkability based on height. After my next update you won’t even need to place a single invisible tile, as walkability will be generated automatically for such terrains, as long as you make sure they conform to the grid.

I have to note again concerning bridges, that you cannot at the moment have bridges where you can walk both on and below the bridge.

For rivers and mud I think you might be talking about difficult terrain that takes more movement to walk across? This is included by default. For swimming you’d have to add swimming animations, of course.

3: Can you hide in a block say a wooden crate and have that crate take damage?
                              It is possible to add destructible terrain, and not terribly difficult. You have to create a new sort of terrain tile with a health variable and set it up so it can be targeted by attacks. When it is destroyed you just need to update the walkability grid.

Hiding in blocks would mean you’d have to add a lot of stuff depending on what you’re going for. You can easily make a tile that blocks visibility but not movement, so that it can be entered. However you would need to add animations for entering/exiting crates, behavior for how AIs react when they lose track of a player pawn etc.

4: Can you have a half block high wall and have it absorb hits and take damage?
                              4B: If 2 pawns are standing behind each other can a 3rd pawn shoot a spear or lazier beam through both them and have it so the pawn behind take less damage?
                              For the first question you’d again have to add destructible terrain plus some sort of cover system. I have plans to add a cover system similar to XCOM for one of my example maps, and I’ve thought of a few ways you may do this. One is to do separate visibility traces at head and leg height, and give half cover if one is blocked and full cover if both are. You could do something similar with pawns blocking one another, perhaps by having invisible blocking volumes surrounding all pawns that block a new, custom trace channel. If this trace channel is blocked when checking visibility to your target, deal less damage to the target and also deal damage to the pawn on the grid index corresponding to where the new trace hit.

5: Can you have pawns use equipment to change their stats and abilities?
                              5B: would it be possible to have say vehicles where one or more pawns can ride in and have the vechial take damage and only kill the pawn(s) if the vehicle blows up?
                              Changing the stats of pawns is pretty straightforward. Just get and set their public ability variables. You’d have to add all the specifics of an inventory system with adding/removing gear yourself.

The simplest way to do vehicles with multiple pawns would be to “destroy” all the pawns when they enter a vehicle and treat the vehicle as a single pawn. Then you could deal damage to the vehicle like a normal pawn, and if it is destroyed you could spawn the pawns occupying the vehicle on surrounding tiles and apply damage.

6: With an empty pawn will I be able to set up options so the player can change what faction it's apart of? (story reasons)
                              Faction is a public variable, so changing faction is as easy as changing the variable.

7: When you were talking about looking around blocks it got me thinking. what if you had a window or a clear block of ice is there a way to look through it but have it be a solid object?
                              7B: If I wanted to place say a rock between squares can I change the way pawns see and behave when it comes to moving and attacking around those objects?
                              7C: If I have oddly shaped blocks like a pillar or paramid can I set it up so the movement and visibality changes around that object?
                              Walkability and visibility are independent, so creating windows and such is simple.

You have to be a bit clearer on question 7B. Visibility is determined by the collision volumes, which can be whatever shape you want. If you’re talking about granting cover to enemies standing behind a corner, see my previous comment on cover.

Visibility is determined by individual collision volumes set to block the custom trace channel RangeTrace, and those volumes can be whatever shape you want. Walkability can be set individually for each edge and corner of each tile, which is in my experience good enough to create believable walkability for most types of terrain.

8: can you controll what direction a pawn is facing and have features set so it takes more damage from the side or has less evasion from behind?
                              8B: can you change the death animation bassed on the direction the pawn is being attacked from?
                              This is also a much requested feature. It should also be quite simple to add. Just change the rotation yaw of a pawn when you click a rotate button or something similar. Then when attacking, compare the look at rotation between the attacking and defending pawn with the rotation of the defending pawn and modify the damage accordingly. You should similarly be able to select a custom death animation, though you’d of course have to modify the animation blueprint.

more a comment than a question. I would like to see animations able detect and than climb short walls, fences, and ladders too. Also having the death animation take height into account so it could fall down a hill or off a wall.
                              I’m not an animator and I’m not allowed to include animations available freely online on marketplace releases, so it seems unlikely I’ll be able to add such features unless I hire someone to make those animations. I do however intend to include the options of having pawns ragdoll when killed, which would allow them to plummet off cliffs and the like.

-Thanks for going through my list of questions.
                              Don’t mention it To reiterate, most things are possible to add to the toolkit, but you do need to be proficient with blueprints or C++, same as for any other game genre. If you end up purchasing the toolkit I suggest you start by making the parts of your game that do not require you to heavily modify it. After you’re done with the basics and want to add your own functionality you should hopefully have a good enough understanding of how the toolkit works that the process should be simpler.

Comment

Finally got this working on OSX as a note. Issue seems to be when you create/add it fresh the first time the GridManagerBP tries to compile it would allocate a really large portion of memory and then subsequently crash the editor a with memory access violation.

This only happened if I tried to add it to a scene fresh(where it'd add the grid and try to compile at the same time). Long as I make a point to compile the gridmanager before I try to use it in a scene, it works fine. This ultimately seems like a bug with UE4 itself and not this package, this is just the first BP where I ever witnessed that behavior.

So all that said, this is a great tool. The only feature I think that'd be nice to add is more control over the turn structure out of the box. Like Player/Enemy turns and then "per unit" initiative(i.e. turn order is determined per unit by some variable as opposed to per faction). With just that change I feel like this tool becomes really useful for a large variety of SRPG type games with very little tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X