[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
    Do your new, shaved off wall meshes work well? I tried making something similar at some point, but I had trouble allowing looking past corners and blocking vision through the corners of two adjacent walls at the same time.
    This is my basic setup for the walls for my modular rooms and hallways. Each terminating edge ends in a 45 degree angle to allow vision around corners. Unfortunately it's a bit ugly since there are little gaps in the floor, but it seems to encapsulate all the line of sight traces just fine. They work great as invisible walls.

Actually the stuff I’m making for the next update will let you create dungeons without placing a single Tile actor. I’ve created a solution that automatically generates walkability on any terrain and meshes placed in your level, as long as they are set to block path trace in their collision properties. Once I’m done with the update you can simply place room meshes (don’t have to be actors) of the appropriate size in the level and it should work instantly.
    Holy **** that's awesome! I can't wait for that update, it sounds like it's exactly what I need.

I do want to add this at some point. I’m an avid D&D DM, so one of my goals for the toolkit is to be able to recreate Dungeons & Dragons in UE4. This would require allowing for units taking up more than one tile. It’s Dungeons & Dragons after all; not Dungeons & Wyrmlings. I’ve thought of a few ways to do this. One way is to have larger units follow a separate pathfinding function that whenever it checks if the next tile in a search step is walkable also checks the walkability of surrounding tiles of the appropriate size. It would be slightly less efficient, but not terribly so. I’d still want to keep it in a separate function instead of checking a “is this unit larger than 1 tile” bool every search step for all units. I think “long” units that occupy a rectangular area might be a bit trickier, as their rotation will change which surrounding tiles they occupy, but I’m confident I can find a solution when I get to implementing large units.
    I've been in many D&D groups myself and I know this would be an amazing thing to have. I can already tell you that I'll personally push your wares onto my DM when you're done. I'm also really excited to see large units support being added in the future since it's something I too plan on implementing in my game.

Comment

Hi!

The system looks really cool. I bought it yesterday and I've been waiting to test it out, but whenever I try to download, it will only say "syncing." I've downloaded several other packs from the marketplace and they all work, so I don't think it's a problem on my end. Apparently this happens when packs are released before they are supposed to, but I know that the system has been out for a while and working fine. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TychoVII View Post
        This is my basic setup for the walls for my modular rooms and hallways. Each terminating edge ends in a 45 degree angle to allow vision around corners. Unfortunately it's a bit ugly since there are little gaps in the floor, but it seems to encapsulate all the line of sight traces just fine. They work great as invisible walls.
        To prevent it from looking ugly you should just make the collision volumes that shape, and not the walls themselves. An easy way to do this is to open the wall mesh without cropped corners in the editor, select the cropped wall with the appropriate collision in the content browser and click Collision -> copy collision from selected static mesh.

Holy **** that's awesome! I can't wait for that update, it sounds like it's exactly what I need.
        Yeah, I think this will be a pretty sweet update I'm scripting with a perpetual smile on my face as it's coming together really well. I just opened

I've been in many D&D groups myself and I know this would be an amazing thing to have. I can already tell you that I'll personally push your wares onto my DM when you're done. I'm also really excited to see large units support being added in the future since it's something I too plan on implementing in my game.
        I'm sure you'll find a lot of D&D players among fans of turn based strategy. There are few TBS games that don't owe a huge deal to D&D. It will probably be a long while before I can get to making my own games, though. So many features I want to add first

Originally posted by gocubsgo View Post
        Hi!

The system looks really cool. I bought it yesterday and I've been waiting to test it out, but whenever I try to download, it will only say "syncing." I've downloaded several other packs from the marketplace and they all work, so I don't think it's a problem on my end. Apparently this happens when packs are released before they are supposed to, but I know that the system has been out for a while and working fine. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!
        Hi! I became aware of this problem a couple of days ago. I sent a message to Epic, and they told me it was because they were uploading the patch I sent them a couple of weeks ago. They asked me to wait and see, but it's still stuck at syncing. I've notified Epic, but it's the weekend, so they probably won't fix it until monday. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but there isn't anything else I can do about it, unfortunately.
        The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

@Zeustiak: Thanks for stopping by I pretty much figured out breaking up loops on my own. I used a similar solution to the one I sent you a PM about a couple of weeks ago. I sent the same to Rama and he seemed to think I was doing the right thing, so I just went with my original idea. It seems to work pretty well. It is still almost as quick as a regular loop if you put loops per tick to infinite. Here are blueprintue pastes of for loop per tick and for each loop per tick respectively. Plug whatever activates the loop into Initialize and a tick event into the tick execute node. It has a regular Loop Body output and completed output as well as a Tock output (I should probably call it tick, but couldn't resist) that fires at the end of each tick after the code for that tick has been fired. These haven't been added yet, but they will be in the next patch. Epic just told me that my previous patch will be uploaded today, by the way.
          I was wondering how that would work, and it makes sense that you can max the loops per frame out it would self correct when the frame rate slows down. Thanks for posting the examples. I will definitely take a look at them when I implement my own solution.
          Map Generator 1.0
          Map Generator 2.0
          Map Generator 3.0

Comment

Same Problem

Hi!

I have the same problem, it just says "syncing", downloaded others without problem but can't download this. There is post on answerhub https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...n-syncing.html but no answer to the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by elpod View Post
              I have the same problem, it just says "syncing", downloaded others without problem but can't download this. There is post on answerhub https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...n-syncing.html but no answer to the problem.
              Yeah, like I said, Epic told me a couple of days ago it was because they were uploading my latest patch, but something must have gone wrong. I've contacted them again recently, but they are not answering. Probably because it's the weekend. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it tomorrow. Sorry if this is inconvenient, but I don't think there is anything I can do but wait along with you now that I've made them aware of the problem.

Comment

Hey. I bought it a day ago. But I still can't download it. What happened? It seems, that it is really great toolkit
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello again!

I was able to download the blueprints today, but it seems like a few of them are missing? It might have to do with the update, but some of the files like "BP_Grid_Manager" and "Unit_Player_Melee" don't appear. It also could be something I'm doing wrong. Just wanted to let you know! Thanks.

Comment

So the patch is up, but it seems like Epic forgot to add the config files again. I've notified Epic, but in the meantime you can download the config files here. Unzip and replace the config files in the folder of your project.

@gocubsgo: Except for the missing congig files everything seems to be included on my end. Try to create a new project, add the toolkit with the new project closed and see if it works this time. If not, I'll look into it.

Edit: I have managed to replicate the problem you are seeing. Some assets seem to predictably not be imported to certain projects. Grid Manager, Grid Camera, the example map and some of the pawns are not shown in the content folder when I import them to Stylized Rendering or StrategyGame, but do appear in blank projects, Vehicle Game and Sun Temple. They still appear in the windows explorer folder structures of all projects. This is extremely strange and I have notified Epic. For now, try adding the project to a new, blank, closed project if you're having problems with the import. Let me know if that doesn't work either for anyone.

Edit 2: By the way, this is what has been added in the new patch. This is the patch I sent Epic a few days after release, and it mostly contains bug fixes. I'm working on a new update that will have a lot of new features, but I still have some work until it is done.

- Added an option for changing between player pawns when clicking on them. Only works for pawns that have not acted yet this turn.
                    - Added some more variables that are useful for adding gameplay features. These include an "has acted this turn" variable for pawns and a turn counter in the grid manager.
                    - Fixed a bug where tiles in move range would always be transparent blue, regardless of the mesh used.
                    - Simplified the pathfinding by removing checking for edges and instead populating the edge nodes with unwalkable nodes at grid generation. This is easier to read, speeds up the pathfinding slightly and fixes a bug that created suboptimal paths to tiles on edges for hex grids.
                    - Fixed a bug that caused auto generation of walkability based on height to fail if the grid manager was not placed at0 on the Z-axis.
                    - Various minor fixes.
                    Last edited by Monokkel; 03-16-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

So the patch is up, but it seems like Epic forgot to add the config files again. I've notified Epic, but in the meantime you can download the config files here. Unzip and replace the config files in the folder of your project.

@gocubsgo: Except for the missing congig files everything seems to be included on my end. Try to create a new project, add the toolkit with the new project closed and see if it works this time. If not, I'll look into it.

Edit: I have managed to replicate the problem you are seeing. Some assets seem to predictably not be imported to certain projects. Grid Manager, Grid Camera, the example map and some of the pawns are not shown in the content folder when I import them to Stylized Rendering or StrategyGame, but do appear in blank projects, Vehicle Game and Sun Temple. They still appear in the windows explorer folder structures of all projects. This is extremely strange and I have notified Epic. For now, try adding the project to a new, blank, closed project if you're having problems with the import. Let me know if that doesn't work either for anyone.

Edit 2: By the way, this is what has been added in the new patch. This is the patch I sent Epic a few days after release, and it mostly contains bug fixes. I'm working on a new update that will have a lot of new features, but I still have some work until it is done.

- Added an option for changing between player pawns when clicking on them. Only works for pawns that have not acted yet this turn.
                      - Added some more variables that are useful for adding gameplay features. These include an "has acted this turn" variable for pawns and a turn counter in the grid manager.
                      - Fixed a bug where tiles in move range would always be transparent blue, regardless of the mesh used.
                      - Simplified the pathfinding by removing checking for edges and instead populating the edge nodes with unwalkable nodes at grid generation. This is easier to read, speeds up the pathfinding slightly and fixes a bug that created suboptimal paths to tiles on edges for hex grids.
                      - Fixed a bug that caused auto generation of walkability based on height to fail if the grid manager was not placed at0 on the Z-axis.
                      - Various minor fixes.
                      Thanks for the prompt reply! I was able to get the blueprints working by updating to 4.7.2 (I was using 4.6.1 before). As you said, it looks like the files simply don't appear in certain projects, but the uasset is defintely in the project folder.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply! I was able to get the blueprints working by updating to 4.7.2 (I was using 4.6.1 before). As you said, it looks like the files simply don't appear in certain projects, but the uasset is defintely in the project folder.
                        Great to hear you got it working! I hope you'll enjoy it Just post here if you have any additional questions. Remember to add the config files I added in the last post until Epic have uploaded them again. I hope they can get the strange error with certain blueprints not showing up in the content browser sorted out as well.

Edit: Everything seems to be working now, though please let me know if anyone else encounters any errors.
                        Last edited by Monokkel; 03-17-2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Bought this yesterday, works fine on my Windows machine, but I tried using this on two different Macs and it'd crash the entire editor anytime you try to drag the grid manager into the viewport. I dev primarily on OS X so it's kinda frustrating, any other OS X users experiencing this issue?

Generating report for minidump

Application version 4.7.3-2479750+++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7
                          ... built from changelist 2479750
                          ... based on label ++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7

OS version 10.10.2.5392
                          Running 4 x64 processors
                          Exception was "SIGSEGV: invalid attempt to access memory at address 0x18"
                          Last edited by VFe; 03-17-2015, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I've had it working on my mac since it first came out but I haven't updated to the latest rev yet. Is there a trick to getting the new stuff into a project that already has it? I tried add to project but it didn't seem to change anything...

J^2

Comment

Started a blank project with the updated toolkit, and no problems under OS X. At least, I think it's the new kit. Is there anything on your BP or toolkit that shows a version number? That will become necessary as more versions are released and people start having multiple projects with different revisions of the toolkit in them. Just a thought. Cheers,

J^2

Comment

Found a weird possible bug in this new lil test case of mine. Made a quick grid and pawns like so:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 12.18.43 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	1070563

Now, for whatever reason, any pawn standing on the upper right corner, where the red pawns starts, is invulnerable. The green can't hit the red while it's there, and if I get the green to that tile, the red acts as if he's vanished. Does this mean that I haven't gotten the update and the edge case fixes you added to it?

J^2

Comment

Working...
                                X