No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Monokkel Got the base platform completed now and the spawning (well really activating) of new platforms works as intended. However I am not sure how closely you looked at the macro I created for finding all the indexes under an object. It works great for large objects but not so great for smaller objects. 1 Tile or less and it does not return the right index. I will be looking at it to see where my math is in error. I am sure it is something silly I did not account for.

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
      I've tested it out, and it seems like ATBTT 4.9 works almost without issue on UE4.10. The only problem that seems to possibly be of any significance is that Get Hit Result Under Cursor seems to return the wrong location in the Height Map example sometimes. Other than that the default the default height for tiles in range need to be set about half and unreal unit higher to prevent them from clipping through terrain (can be done in the public variables of Grid_Manager). So for those of you who want to use 4.10 I would recommend just taking a copy of your 4.9 project and opening it in 4.10. I'll test it out some more and send an update to Epic soon, but that process usually takes a while.
      How long until the next gameplay update?
      Website/Portfolio: http://www.VictorBurgosGames.com

Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BurgosGames for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

Wishlist Neko Ghost, Jump! a 2D/3D Puzzle-Platformer : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ko_Ghost_Jump/

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.

Originally posted by Anzak View Post
        @Monokkel Got the base platform completed now and the spawning (well really activating) of new platforms works as intended. However I am not sure how closely you looked at the macro I created for finding all the indexes under an object. It works great for large objects but not so great for smaller objects. 1 Tile or less and it does not return the right index. I will be looking at it to see where my math is in error. I am sure it is something silly I did not account for.
        I didn't really look it through at all. Mostly copied what you had without paying much attention. When I implement something similar into the released toolkit I'll give it a more thorough look. Good luck in fixing the math, and let me know if you need any assistance.

Originally posted by VictorBurgos View Post
        How long until the next gameplay update?
        I'm slowly but surely working on the update. I won't give any time estimate, as I seem to overshoot it every time I make one. After this update I think I will go back to releasing smaller and more frequent updates. My reasoning for making larger updates was that users would not have to update their projects as often, making it easier to keep their projects up to date. However for updates of this size people will have to make so large modifications that they might not bother. I'll try to find a middle ground in the future.
        The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

Found my logic error. I was subtracting half the bounds from the location but since the bounds was already half the size I needed to subtract the full bounds. The index reduction I was doing after the for loop made it look like it worked correctly for larger areas but I was just really putting in a negative buffer and did not realize it.

Comment

Got my random room generation working finally. Time to move on the player turn sequence.

Comment

@Monokkel On your next release could you look into adding more entry points on the PlayerController and making them more modular in terms of functions. This way as people want to change the turn order or add new sequences they will have an easy way to get to the key items. I might recommend a start and stop to each type action. For example setting up movement you can have a start movement phase and an end movement phase same for attack. Then make a Sequence function or event that can be called as the pawn is activated. This way a person could just override the Sequence to change the order of things. Again just a suggestion and looking at how to make it a bit more modular.

Comment

Ok, I've sent my 4.10 update to Epic. The changes are extremely minor and only affect the example content, so you should all be able to just convert your 4.9 project to 4.10 without any fuss. Here are the changes:

v1.44 (being processed by Epic)
                1. Rebuilt the landscape in the heightmap example map as the old one was causing the Get Hit Tile Location and Index to sometimes return the wrong value.
                2. Changed the height of the meshes in the Tile_Cost tiles from 0.5 to 0.3 as it was clipping through the tiles in sight range/move range.

@Anzak: Glad to hear you got random room generation working It is something I'll certainly be looking into in the future, and I might hit you up then. Good idea on making the Player Controller more modular. I have already added a few things that should make the toolkit more modular (for instance the event graph of Unit_Parent), though I won't be adding your suggestion to the next update as I have already added too much and need to refrain from adding more stuff so that I take even longer. I'll consider adding it for the update after, though.

Comment

Good to hear I would certainly love to lend a hand. I was thinking about the Controller a bit more and I look at a turn based game as a sequence of phases. If you had a function or set of events that allowed for phase control that would be very helpful. I am planning to almost completely override the PlayerController. Much of it will be copy and paste from your controller. Once it is done I will share it back with what I had in mind for a phase control. Keep up the awesome work I love seeing the new updates. Oh one question will the major update you are working on be 4.9 compatible? I am not planning to go to 4.10 at this point as there is nothing in 4.10 that I need at the moment so until there is a content pack that I want to add that needs 4.10 or I find a feature that I can not live without I am planning to stay at 4.9 for the forseeable future.

Comment

Ok, cool. I'd love to check it out when I'm done and see if I will want to do something similar.

I think the time I would spend making every update backwards compatible with every previous version of Unreal Engine would take so much time that I would never be able to add something new, so every new update I release will only be tested on whatever is the newest version at that point. I will try to help people individually who have problems using older versions, though. Still I'm curious why you don't simply convert your project to 4.10? It takes no time at all and since 4.10 is mainly a bug fixing update I doubt you will need more than an hour tops to get everything working perfectly.

Comment

Right now I would rather take that time to focus on the changes I need to make for my project. I don't get a lot of time to work on it so I feel my time is better spent focusing on getting features I need working. When your next major release comes out I will move to 4.10 and use the time to make all the changes needed for both 4.10 and your release at the same time.

Comment

Ok, that's fair. If you haven't I would still recommend trying to open your project in 4.10 and see if it works without you having to do any modifications at all. Chances for that seem to be pretty good.

In other news I just found a new, superior way of storing edges that will make creating multi-level grids a lot easier among other things. Unfortunately it will take some time to implement this, so this update will take even longer to get done...

Comment

I got my modified version of the 4.9 toolkit to work with 4.10 without any issues (Other than gameplay bugs I created myself and that it my fault).

But I do see that the 4.10 version is available in my vault

Comment

@Monokkel have you seen this?

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Videos...eo=mI7eYXMJ5eI

Looked like an interesting video I watched about the first 15 minutes but have not had time to look at the rest. However my turn based game has to go on hold for a bit. Things have change around my house and I have to look at a few different ideas for projects rather than the sand box I am playing in right now. Hopefully I can get back to my turn based game in Jan but we will see how it goes.

Comment

@AxelRantile: The 4.10 version is basically identical to the 4.9 version. The only things I did was to decrease the height of the meshes of the tiles with added movement cost slightly, as they were clipping through the tiles in range. I also rebuilt the terrain in the heightmap example as it had some collision issues. None of these fixes should have an effect on your project, so there is no need to upgrade.

@Anzak: Yeah, I've seen that one. That was made the same month that I released the toolkit. Ian Shadden made A* pathfinding in blueprints similar to what I did before I moved to Dijkstra's algorithm (though certainly more efficient than my early attempts). It is a slightly different way of doing things that uses lots of invisible actors instead of large arrays. The procedural generation stuff is also very cool. I've looked a bit at the project, but didn't find much I could use to improve my own work as our approaches aren't that similar. I take a new look every now and then, though.

Sad to hear you will have to take a break from working on the project. You've made some pretty awesome additions that inspire me to take the toolkit in different directions myself. Hope to see you back in January

Comment

probably doing this wrong but I hooked up an int var in one of the enemy pawns bp. put a print in the end to see the results as well. I put 3 of the pawns in a lvl and was hoping that each death would add to the int value. each death just results in the same value with no addition. if this is horribly wrong I apologize for being an artist trying scripting . i was just hoping to track the deaths of enemies to do a end lvl/load setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X