No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, there is no such function, I'm afraid, and I cannot immediately think of a function that would achieve this. I guess if you have a limited number of such objects you could add an integer array to them that holds the index it is placed on plus any additional tiles you know it will cover (using index +1, index +GridSizeX etc.). That's the best solution in can think of off the top of my head.
    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

@Monokkel: Sorry for the late response. Thanks again for the help with the power ups teleporter

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
        Thought I'd show off one of the things I'm working on, since I just got it working like intended: XCOM-style movement borders

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38592[/ATTACH]

I've got lots of other stuff in the works as well, but I'm pretty excited about this one. Not only does it allow for some cool options for visualizing movement, but storing the edges of the tiles in movement range allows for a few other cool features. Like I said, so much more to come.

Hello!

Just bought the tookit and it's awesome, but I couldn't find anywhere an option to enable this XCOM style frame movement shot, I guess this is not yet implemented?

Cheers,
        Hrvoje

Comment

Hello!

I've been playing around with your toolkit and ran into some trouble that I've been trying forever to fix. For some reason, when I migrate the files I need from a new project to an existing project, I can only get custom tiles to work on Map_Height_Example and no other map (including Map_grid_Example). What happens is that everything visually snaps to 0,0,0 even though their location suggests otherwise. If I uncheck ignore snap to custom grid, it'll allow move it but once I check it again, it'll snap back to the 0,0,0. I can't seem to figure out why it's working fine on one example map you provided and then breaks on every other map I try to do this on. If you could provide me with some newbie troubleshooting, it'd be really helpful. I'm sure it's something really obvious but I can't seem to figure it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	676.1 KB
ID:	1091019

Comment

Originally posted by deflip007 View Post
            @Monokkel: Sorry for the late response. Thanks again for the help with the power ups teleporter
            Happy to help! Let me know if you need help with adding any additional features

Originally posted by horva View Post
            Hello!

Just bought the tookit and it's awesome, but I couldn't find anywhere an option to enable this XCOM style frame movement shot, I guess this is not yet implemented?

Cheers,
            Hrvoje
            Hi there, horva. Indeed it has not been implemented yet. It will be in my next update which should hopefully be out in a couple of weeks. I've been a bit too ambitious with this update, so it has taken a lot longer than expected. It is worth noting that my solution for displaying the walkable area as a frame is not perfect for all sorts of implementations, but it shows one way of doing it, which should make it a lot easier for users to make their own variations if they are needed.

Edit: A screenshot of what to expect:

Name:	NzXBhSH.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1091024
            Last edited by Monokkel; 10-09-2015, 04:20 PM.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
              Happy to help! Let me know if you need help with adding any additional features

Hi there, horva. Indeed it has not been implemented yet. It will be in my next update which should hopefully be out in a couple of weeks. I've been a bit too ambitious with this update, so it has taken a lot longer than expected. It is worth noting that my solution for displaying the walkable area as a frame is not perfect for all sorts of implementations, but it shows one way of doing it, which should make it a lot easier for users to make their own variations if they are needed.

Edit: A screenshot of what to expect:
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]60574[/ATTACH]
              That is looking awesome dude. The XCOM developers have also changed from their previous implementation to something like this one this time around.
              Unreal Possibilities
              Wave Spawning System | Tower Defense Starter Kit | Grid Creation Systems

Comment

Thanks Stormrage256 It doesn't look this good for everything, though. These frames are comprised of multiple rigid edge meshes, which works great for flat levels, but variable height becomes a problem in some cases, though I have found ways to mitigate this in many situations. For organic terrain I have also made it possible to use edge decals, but these cannot overlap without doubling brightness in the overlapping corners of the frame, which means I had to make it more like a dotted line.

It's always a challenge with this toolkit to always make sure every new feature works with both hexagonal and square grids, with landscape as well as placed tiles, with heightmaps and flat maps, with continuous maps as well as sparse dungeons. This is one of the reasons updates take so long. In the update after the next one I will be adding true, multi-leveled heightmaps, which will add another layer (literally) of complexity. I'm getting better and better at it, though

Discord

Comment

A quick test seems to indicate that the toolkit works without any issues with UE4.10 Preview. So if using preview versions is your thing, simply open a 4.9 version of the toolkit in 4.10 to convert it. If any errors show up I will not release a patch until 4.10 is actually released, but I will post what modifications can be made to counteract any such bugs in the meantime.

Discord

Comment

Hi Monokkel.

I've been lurking and reading through the thread for a few weeks. The toolkit looks awesome, and the updates you're planning even more awesome. I'm just starting out with UE4, so please excuse me if my questions are a naive or noobish.

I'm looking for ways for pawns to be moved around by elements of the terrain. I know this is probably not exactly what you had in mind for the toolkit and some work will be required to make it happen. It's important for me that the player doesn't have a static world when they play, but has something that's alive and evolving in front of them. It'll be another challenge to get the AI working with this obviously but I'll try to deal with that later. Is there a way to move tiles within the grid, or would it be easier to create any moving terrain as actors and then create a blueprint to move them + any pawns on the same tile to simulate the same effect?

If a simple example helps envisage what I'm talking about: Imagine a shoot out at an airport where some pawns are on a moving walkway and others are still (or with a multi-level grid you might do the same thing with an elevator). Would it be possible to move the actual tiles on the walkway along without causing damage to the grid arrays, or should it be done by just moving the pawns?
                    On the forum, Kev will do.

Comment

Hi kevdotward, I guess it takes a while to read through this thread at this point I'm glad you like the toolkit and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

As you seem to understand the toolkit is all about the arrays. For the most part the toolkit doesn't care about where the transforms of actors might be, be they tiles or units. The important part is to make sure the underlying arrays hold the correct information about edge costs and pawns at the appropriate tile indexes.

To answer your question I will assume you are moving the terrain in a turn based manner. That is something like a unit pulling a switch to move a platform, which then moves and stops before the next unit's turn. If it is moving in real time while the units move in turns it quickly gets quite crazy.

So to get back to arrays, moving a platform with a unit on it to another location would look like this for the arrays: the edge costs of the starting index of the platform are changed to edge costs matching the new terrain which is left after the platform is moved (say 0 for all edges if the platform was hovering over an abyss). Then the pawn array and pawn actor arrays at this index are set to empty. Then the edges on the end index of the platform are set to the same values as what the start index had before it was altered (probably 1 for all edges). Lastly the pawn actor array at the end index is set to the actor who was moved and the pawn array at this index is set to the faction of this unit.

To the underlying toolkit logic this would all be well and good, but you wouldn't see anything change on screen. You can display this visually in any way you would like (this flexibility is one of the reason I made the grid logic independent of the actual location of actors), using matinee, lerping the platform and actor to the new location or any number of other such solutions.

To sum up: change the arrays at the appropriate locations to values reflecting the end state and move the actors however you like. Hope that helps

Discord

Comment

Thanks Monokkel. That all makes sense, thank you for replying so quickly as you always do.

Your assumption that the platform movement would be turn based is correct, I can't really imagine how a real time implementation would work. I'm looking to implement an initiative system something like your discussion with VFe and Hinato in post 236 of this thread, so I should be able to use counter increments to schedule regular movements like escalators or trains or whatever moving across the grid.

The thread did take some time to read through, yes. It seemed easier in some ways than the three hour YouTube video though (I didn't manage it all!) It must have been a challenge to make that one. Between your videos and this thread it's great that so many of the questions I had have been answered already.

Hope the updates are going well.

Oh, and Kev will do on the forums.
                        On the forum, Kev will do.

Comment

Having quite a bizzare spawning issue at the moment.
                          Im hardcoding the index's for testing purposes, and even then my actors are spawning in the wrong locations but behaves aslong the character is where it SHOULD be.
                          Help?

Name:	12080379_10208643489114308_2097502092946919799_o.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1091331

The reason why my unit is spawning 35 indexes away from my base, is because my grid by X is 35, placing the unit next to the base, as seen in the first image

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-16 00.53.01.png
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1091332

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-16 00.53.33.png
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1091333

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-16 00.53.48.png
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1091334
                          Attached Files

Comment

@Kev: Let me know if you need any help with implementing your initiative system The blueprint video tutorial is pretty massive. One problem with my next update is that I've probably made changes to at least half the blueprints in the toolkit, which means I will have to riddle the tutorial with comment boxes or redo it, which takes an entire work day :P

@LDodds: That sight is a pretty common sight when I'm adding new stuff to the toolkit. It means that the location the actor is placed on in the world is different from the location corresponding to the index in which the pawn is stored in the Pawn and Pawn Actor arrays. First I need to ask if your grid manager is placed on location 0,0,0. If it is not you will have to add the location of the grid manager to any location you get from using the vector to index or index to vector functions. Secondly I would not use the Index To Vector on Hex Grid function, as it is unnecessary. It is only used when initially creating the vector field array, which means that after that you can just get the index from the vector field array, which is much more efficient. From what I can see you're doing it should still be working, though, which might mean there is something wrong with the Spawn Unit function... Check if your grid manager is placed at 0,0,0 and then come back to me and I think I can figure it out.

Discord

Comment

Hey there,
                              Yeah you were exactly correct, the grid manager wasn't at origin
                              Now its at 0,0,0 it works as intended
                              Thanks for the quick help!

Comment

No problem! It can be pretty confusing that the vector field array holds locations relative to the location of the grid manager instead of actual locations in the game. I'm considering changing this in a later update (though not the next one. Its big enough already :P )

Discord

Comment

Working...
                                X