No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi again. Firstly for the lagging health bar problem I'm guessing you're modifying Current Health properly, but are doing something wrong in the Set Scalar Parameter Value part, so that the actual visual representation of the health only catches up when Set Scalar Parameter Value is called at some later point. Does this part look exactly like the one in isthisbad's screenshot in your blueprint?

Is what you're saying that empty tiles seem to be placed on top of the trigger boxes, meaning that actors moving to tiles with trigger boxes walk upwards to the top of the boxes? If so I'm guessing you're using "From Tracing" heightmaps and that the traces that detect which parts of your map are walkable are colliding with your trigger boxes. This can be fixed by making sure collision on these tiles is set to ignore the PathTrace channel (you should also set ti to ignore RangeTrace or your trigger boxes will block line of sight)

Your solution for teleportation looks reasonable enough, but you need to update the position of the unit in the underlying grid arrays as well or the Grid Manager will still think the unit is still at its old position, which will lead to some weird results. I've created a modified version of my Spawn Unit blueprint for you that moves a unit on the grid. Note that this function should not be used while the unit is moving, but after it has finished its move. Here are screenshots of the function (I'm not able to upload it to BlueprintUE for some reason):

First Part:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tcGOvsv.png
Views:	1
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	1087948
    Second Part:

Name:	4uMsJXw.png
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	1087949
    The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

My small 4.9 patch has now been uploaded by Epic. This is not a big feature update, but again a minor compatibility patch. Here are the changes:

v1.43 (21.09.15)
      1. Changed all Set Visibility nodes of markers to Set Marker Visibility Functions to prevent an error in the log.
      2. Removed Clear all Instances from the Clear range array, reachable pawns array and path meshes collapsed graph in the Find Tiles in Range function in BP_GridManager to prevent an error in the log.
      3. Changed all Get World Location/Rotation And Distance Along Spline nodes to the newer Get Location at Distance Along Spline (with coordinate space set to “world”) nodes.
      4. Removed unnecessary cast in HUD_Faction_Turn and changed the name of Tile Spawner 2 to Grid Manager Ref to make it consistent with other blueprints.
      5. Replaced the landscape in the landscape example level as it was having some collision issues.

None of these changes come with version markers, as they are all easy to find by following the pointers in the error log.

Comment

I picked up the pack a couple days ago and ran into what sounded like the same interaction issue mentioned in the 3rd post (keys and mouse wheel worked, but hovers and clicks did not), but the config files seemed ok. I have two machines that I work on, but only one of them had the issue. Long story short after a bunch of reinstalls and comparisons, everything is exactly the same on both machines. The machine with the issue however has two monitors of differing resolutions, with the Primary monitor on the right (where I use UE4). When I disable the Secondary (left) monitor, the UI finally behaved normally. I'm guessing it has something to do with how mouse coordinates are determined for the pointer, but I don't know if it'd be an engine bug or something you can fix in the BP. Either way it's working for now with a non-ideal workaround, but thought you might want to take a look if you can. Running 1.43 in a fresh 4.9.1 project.

Comment

Hi m2tt, I'm sorry you're experiencing these problems. I use a computer with two monitors, though with identical resolutions, and I have not experienced this problem. I have not had anything like this reported by any other users and I hope it's not a common issue. I'll try to narrow down what this could be about and see if it's caused by my blueprints or Unreal Engine more generally.

First I would open ATBTT_PlayerController and print a string right after the InputAction Click event in the event graph. If a string is printed when you click we can be sure input is working. In that case it seems likely that something is wrong when a trace is fired from the cursor so it does not hit what is exactly below the cursor. When you say that hovering does not work, do you mean that there is no hover marker displayed? To test if the grid is hit at all I would add a new Print String node after the Get Hit Tile Location And Index function, a bit further down the chain that starts with InputAction Click. Here print the outputted location and see what vectors you are getting. Something like this:

Name:	9bXXzx0.png
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1088081

Try using a very large grid (100*100 or so) to increase the chances of getting a hit if the trace is going wild. If you are getting result, compare the results you are getting with what you get when you click the same tiles with your workaround solution. Try to see if it is missing systematically. If you are getting 0,0,0 results every time something else might be wrong. Whatever you find it should hopefully bring us closer to finding out what the problem is. By the way, are you also getting the same problem if you package the project, or just when you play in editor? Do different ways of launching from the editor yield different results (Play in Standalone window etc.)?

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, and yeah by hovering not working I mean that the marker/splines are not displayed. I ran through the BP tweaks and the string is indeed printing 0,0,0 after the Get Hit Tile Location And Index node. It doesn't seem to matter how it's played, either editor window, standalone, or packaged the result is the same. I also tried packaging the game on the working machine, but when copied to the broken machine the packaged version exhibits the same broken behavior.

I haven't done much with input BPs yet, but I'll play around tonight and see if I can't narrow down where the game thinks the cursor is.

Comment

Ok, try this. I have created an extremely simple project without the toolkit. Just A box BSP, a default Player Controller set to show the mouse cursor and a super simple level blueprint that just finds what is clicked under the mouse and returns the location as a string. If this doesn't work with your dual screen setup there is something wrong with UE4, not my toolkit specifically. If it works we can try to narrow it down some more. You can download the project here.

Comment

Confirmed, I was able to recreate the issue in a completely blank project, so it's definitely not the toolkit, thanks for your assistance, though! It also seems to only crop up after I've RDP'd into the machine so I'll narrow down the steps and submit a bug to Epic.

Comment

No problem! I hope you'll be able to solve your problem soon with the help of Epic or the community.

Comment

Hi Monokkel, love the toolkit! It's saved me a lot of time. I was wondering how difficult it might be to integrate a visibility/fog of war set up with the toolkit. The specific instance I had in mind is in, for instance, a spy game where you'd want to sneak past guards who have defined vision cones that the player can identify and avoid. I'm thinking of something along the lines of Invisible Inc's system, if you played or saw that game. A different though somewhat related question is how to employ certain mechanics that would allow the player to hide more effectively, I.E. in or next to a potted plant for instance. I know this is probably a lot to ask, and it seems like you have some of these features planned for the toolkit in future updates but I thought I'd ask to try and get a grasp of how this might work. If nothing else, thanks again for providing this toolkit. You probably should have charged more for it but I'm happy to see it on the market place for gamers like me who pine away for the days of turn based strategy games. You're awesome, and I look forward to seeing what you do in the future!
                    Last edited by MicahM; 09-25-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Hello MicahM, I'm happy to hear the toolkit has saved you a lot of time I'm a big fan of Invisible Inc. and have played it a lot. I've thought a bit about various ways in which I could replicate some of its features.

Some parts of vision cones are pretty easy to do. You could simply attach a cone shaped collision mesh to the AI units and when a player character overlaps this collision volume you could do a line trace using RangeTrace from the AI to the player character to see if there is anything blocking line of sight. If there isn't you would put the AI in combat mode. Displaying the cone is a bit more tricky, as simply making the cone visible would have it clip through terrain. I think your best bet would be to use some sort of spotlight emanating from the AI's eyes corresponding to the size of the conical collision volume.

Regarding fog of war there is a user on the forums that has a cool tutorial for creating such an effect, though it's in C++. I have also toyed with the idea of not spawning any visible tiles when the game starts, but spawning them on the indexes the player unit can see every turn using the Find Tiles In Range function. I haven't figured out the exact implementation of this, but I think it could work pretty well, though it might not be exactly what you're looking for. You might also want to ask around in the rendering subforum, as they will be a lot better on the visual side of things than I am.

Comment

Here is a short, silly video I made in response to a comment on one of my tutorial vids, which asked whether it was possible to use a hexagonal grid as the terrain for a real time third person game. I threw this together in literally five minutes, but I thought it was fun to see the grid from a different perspective. The mannequin looks happy to be freed from the grid, at least

Comment

Thanks Monokkel, I'll take a look at those suggestions. In the planned features for the toolkit in the future, will they be combine-able? I noticed you said on the front page of this thread that the features would be contained in separate game examples. I understand totally why you'd want to make them discreet examples, but it would be nice to mix and match. Thanks again!

Comment

@Monokkel - I did find a feature that I think would be helpful. The setting for the game mode is embedded way down in the Gird Manager. Could you make it an option you can change in the Details panel or perhaps have it run from current game mode? I have found in trying a bunch of things I really need to be using the Game Mode for certain functions. However I do not want to mess with the base game mode so the best option is to create a child game mode and use that.

Comment

Originally posted by MicahM View Post
                              Thanks Monokkel, I'll take a look at those suggestions. In the planned features for the toolkit in the future, will they be combine-able? I noticed you said on the front page of this thread that the features would be contained in separate game examples. I understand totally why you'd want to make them discreet examples, but it would be nice to mix and match. Thanks again!
                              I've actually changed my mind on how I want to add additional features. I think the negatives of containing features in separate example maps outweighs the positives and I'll probably be including most additional features in the base toolkit in the future. This will make it easier for users to mix and match features and will also make it easier for me to keep everything up to date as I keep updating the toolkit.

Originally posted by Anzak View Post
                              @Monokkel - I did find a feature that I think would be helpful. The setting for the game mode is embedded way down in the Gird Manager. Could you make it an option you can change in the Details panel or perhaps have it run from current game mode? I have found in trying a bunch of things I really need to be using the Game Mode for certain functions. However I do not want to mess with the base game mode so the best option is to create a child game mode and use that.
                              Hi Anzak. Could you tell me exactly where in the Grid Manager the game mode is referenced? I've tried to keep the game mode out of the grid manager as far as I've been able, but I've probably missed a spot.

Comment

Monokkel, I have been having a lot of trouble passing data between objects. What I have found from doing the Endless Runner Level tutorial is that the GameMode is a key part of passing data between certain objects. To that point there are a number of things that I want to put in the game mode and potentially the Grid Manager. My thinking is rather than use them directly I create children and inherit all your work then I have a clean slate if you will to work from. This way my work and yours do not get mixed up. If I need to change something you have done I can overload it. Right now I am having a problem getting a Ref to the Child Grid Manager into the child game mode where I can grab vars to be used in a macro by other objects. Long and short is that to change the GameMode to the child I need to change it at the project level like normal however the Grid Manager also has a variable for the Game Mode but you need to open the Grid Manager and look under Misc to find it. It would be nice if that was something that could be changed in the details panel when working in the view port. Again just a suggestion I am sure you know way more than me about how everything communicates and it might not even be an option.

Comment

Working...
                                X