[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wisdom-HELLy View Post
    About making a cone skill, I've actually made it by using a double for each loop with a multisphere trace array.
    I first get all units by filling the array (multisphere trace should ignore any static mesh, self, and all unnecessary hits) and then apply receive damage event to all of them.
    I started with some line/sphere tracing but it was pretty heavy lifting when all I really needed to do was set indexes based on grid size and direction. (Quite a bit more math to it then that, but looping through Integers is so much more efficient than line tracing imho)

May still use some line tracing to change the attack tile indexes if the attack starts on the Unit, but that will happen a bit later

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
      Sounds reasonable! I'll look into it at the next opportunity, and will probably include it in the update. Let me know of any other minor (or major) annoyances you might encounter
      For sure! I will have a look around at my changes and let you know anything else I come across in the future.

Thanks!

Any plan to switch to Math Expressions within the toolkit now that they are going to be at least 2x the speed?

Comment

@Monokkel : Ended up rewriting all of the Hex Grid portion of 'Get Indexes in Range' to use Math Expressions instead of singular nodes. Tested, verified, and much faster considering my use case for it. Let me know if you want it for the update and I will send it over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	get_indexes_in_range_math_expressions.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	1087005

Comment

Hey, I planning to do just that Good to hear it did in fact make it faster. Sure, it would be great if you could send it over. Will save me some time.
          The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

Originally posted by isthisbad View Post
            I started with some line/sphere tracing but it was pretty heavy lifting when all I really needed to do was set indexes based on grid size and direction. (Quite a bit more math to it then that, but looping through Integers is so much more efficient than line tracing imho)

May still use some line tracing to change the attack tile indexes if the attack starts on the Unit, but that will happen a bit later
            Yes I know that it could be done with some grid math, but thinking of a next multi-level grid implementation I thought it was better to get pawns through sphere traces (if I have two units, one above and one below a ladder I could get both of them with a sphere trace).
            And about the performance I can say that result is not heavy as it seems.
            Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical Game
            STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Arcane_Legacy/
            IG: https://www.instagram.com/arcanelegacyofficial/
            FB: https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneLegacy/
            WEB: http://www.arcanelegacy.com

Comment

@Wisdom-HELLy: For your use case I can see that making sense I guess. Although you could also use Max-Z-Distance to accomplish the same thing (per your example). If you are doing multiple grids for say a 'rooftop', you could create a component tag on the CollisionPlane for a Child BP_Grid_Manager and do the initial line trace to collide with whichever CollisionPlane has that tag as well.

Lots of ways to do it, but I would say stick with what you know works

Comment

Both soloutions sound good. When I begin working on multi-level grids I'll probably be using grid-math due to personal preference, but I'll be checking out multiple solutions.

@isthisbad: I've tested out your math expression, by the way. There was a slight speed improvement, though a bit less than what I had hoped for. I used a sight range of 40 tiles (as a sort of maximum reasonable case), and here the Get Tiles in Range function saw roughly a 10% speed increase. When running the entire Find Tiles in Range function the total gain was about 3%. That's still enough that I think it's worth implementing, though. I'm all about opimization

Comment

@isthisbad: I've tested out your math expression, by the way. There was a slight speed improvement, though a bit less than what I had hoped for. I used a sight range of 40 tiles (as a sort of maximum reasonable case), and here the Get Tiles in Range function saw roughly a 10% speed increase. When running the entire Find Tiles in Range function the total gain was about 3%. That's still enough that I think it's worth implementing, though. I'm all about opimization
                  Glad to be of assistance! I was hoping for roughly 2x speed increase as they stated in the 4.9 patch notes, but any speed increase is awesome!

Comment

Yeah, thanks man! I didn't expect it to be twice as fast, as that would be the case if the entire function could be converted to a math expression. It would have to be some fraction of that, and it seems that there are other parts of the function that are much slower than the pure math parts.

Comment

Hey Monokkel - Is there any plans for a price hike to the Pack?

Just curious as - I am wanting to buy this but I am short on money until payday. :\

Comment

Hi HeadClot! I'm considering increasing the price at some point, but that won't be until I've added several more of my planned features. With the time it takes to make this stuff you should be very much in the clear to your next payday

Comment

Hi HeadClot! I'm considering increasing the price at some point, but that won't be until I've added several more of my planned features. With the time it takes to make this stuff you should be very much in the clear to your next payday
                          Thanks for the info Monokkel.

Glad to hear that it will be a while before the price hike.

Comment

Hey LDodds. That same question was asked on the previous page of this thread, where isthisbad pasted a modified version of a function I sent him some weeks ago for doing just this. I'm finally back home, though, so I can finally post my own current version. Here is the WIP function for spawning units at runtime (BlueprintUE link):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54878[/ATTACH]

It still has a few small issues, but it's mostly complete. I'll explain what it does. First it spawns an actor of the Unit_Parent class (the specific one is specified outside the function) at a certain location. The user can choose to either spawn the unit at an index or a transform. If transform is selected the location of this transform is first run back and forth through the VectorToIndex macro and the Vector Field Array to return the location of the closest grid cell center to the transform entered (don't want to spawn the unit between two tiles). Then the index value of the actor is set to the index of the tile it is spawned on. After this the unit is added to the Pawn Actor array and its faction to the pawn array, both at the index of the tile it was spawned. Lastly it is added to the initiative order, or it will never be selected. This always adds the spawned unit to last in initiative, and might cause issues if you allow switching between units (the default toolkit assumes players and enemies will have distinct turns, which might be altered if you alternate adding enemy and player units).

The way you have done it has a few issues, and I'll point them out so you can understand the inner workings of the toolkit better. When you add the unit to the pawn actor array, what you are doing is increasing the size of the pawn actor array by one by adding the unit to the end of it. The Pawn Actor array is the size of the grid with each index representing a grid cell, so if you add a unit to the end of it it will be placed at the last tile index +1, outside the bounds of the map. Instead you should use the Set Array Element node and set the index corresponding to the unit's location. "Has acted this turn" defaults to false, and so you do not need to set this to false when spawning a unit. Place actor at anchor and ignore snap to custom grid are variables that only have an effect when you're working on the game in the viewport, and not when you're actually playing the game, so modifying these at runtime serves no purpose. Lastly if you always want the max move of the spawned units to be 4 you would be better off modifying the default value of this variable in the unit's own blueprint.

I hope this helps you with your problem. And congratulations on reaching your Kickstarter goal
                            Hi Monokkel!

I've tried to use your function (and thank you for posting that) but I've found a strange issue.
                            After spawning the actors, I can see that Custom Grid Anchor component and SkeletalMesh are located in different places!

Maybe below screenshot can explain the situation better (my pawns are the green ones):

Name:	Screenshot 2015-09-08 13.58.54.png
Size:	597.6 KB
ID:	1087223

I cannot understand why it happens. Below is my Blueprint where I call the Spawn Functions (and function is the same of yours).
                            Please notice also that I've added the anchor function of the Grid Manager otherwise also the anchors will be outside of the map (and I cannot move any unit) :

Name:	Screenshot 2015-09-08 14.05.33.png
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	1087224

Can someone help me?
                            Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical Game
                            STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Arcane_Legacy/
                            IG: https://www.instagram.com/arcanelegacyofficial/
                            FB: https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneLegacy/
                            WEB: http://www.arcanelegacy.com

Comment

It seems I forgot to add one thing to the Spawn Unit function. It actually has nothing to do with the grid anchors (so you can remove that bit). I'm guessing your grid manager is not placed at location 0,0,0? The reason you're having this issue is that the function is not taking the location of the grid manager into consideration when spawning units, and thus the function only works if the grid manager is zeroed out (I really should stop testing with the grid manager placed at 0,0,0 as I keep making this mistake :P ). Add this to the function to make it grid location agnostic:

Name:	vwK9xgQ.png
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1087227

To explain further the grid manager thinks the units are at one location, since the pathfinding and other functions are already made to take the Grid Manager's location into account. The Vector Field Arrray hold vectors that store the location of tiles relative to the grid, so when you spawn a unit directly from a vector from this array it will show up in the wrong place if the grid manager is not zeroed out.

Comment

Hi,
                                is there a way to change it so the grid manager has less spacing/no spacing between the tiles?

Comment

Working...
                                X