No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad that sorted it out! After the next update you should be able to shrink the grid appropriately again. Until then it should be sufficient to extend the grid one tile in every direction. It might even be enough to only extend the grid only south and east by one tile.
    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

Hey Monokkel, I have a doubt regarding the performance and ease of usability between decals and instanced static meshes for tiles. In the latest live stream, Epic mentioned that decal support is coming to mobiles in UE v4.9. Usability wise, I think decals are easier to work with. But I'd like to get your opinions as well since you've worked a lot on decals yourself. As for performance, aren't instanced static meshes generally far less expensive compared to decals if there are like a few hundred of them in the scene?
      Unreal Possibilities
      Wave Spawning System | Tower Defense Starter Kit | Grid Creation Systems

Comment

Hi Stormrage256. I've only really tested the performance impact of the two methods for desktop, in which case both ISMs and decals had little impact even for units with extremely high movement ranges. I still suspect ISMs should be slightly better, but for desktop it doesn't really matter. For mobile I would also expect ISMs to be slightly better. However the default ISMs use transparent materials, which is not ideal for mobile. I can't test it now, since I'm still on vacation, so I suggest you run a simple test using decals and ISMs with and without transparent materials and see if there is a difference in fps.

Discord

Comment

Hi,
          I am making multiplayer game with more than two players, where everyone have only one pawn(hero). I saw in the blueprints the way that you've managed to set the order of the pawns but i want this only with the players and in specific order, that is set by default?
          Can you give me some ideas or tips? Thanks in advance.

Comment

@Mariyan:
            With the way ATBTT_GameMode and ATBTT_Player_Controller are currently setup for a Single Player experience using Initiative order and Faction switching, you would be much better off creating and using your own Game Mode and Player Controller for this type of implementation. Otherwise you will need to heavily modify what Knut currently provides.

I would highly suggest going through his Blueprint Tutorial videos so you can get a better understanding of how each one is handled and what features are included with the asset.

Comment

Uhm this is kind of wierd and it might be a 4.8 incompatibility but the starting point of a unit seems to be constantly locked to the first tile, so the camera always jumps there and shows a pawn teleporting to the first tile, then moving across it and teleporting to whereever you clicked ._.

Ive had the toolkit for a long time and i know it used to work before, is it just 4.8 messing with the blueprints?

Kind of what isthisbad described, except i changed absolutly nothing and it happens in the example map.

Comment

@Mariyan: Hi, there have been a few other users who have asked me similar questions before, so look at the previous couple of pages for more info. Setting the order in which pawns are selected is pretty easy. All units are stored in the Initiative Order array in ATBTT_GameMode. Like isthisbad mentioned the code for selecting the current pawn from this array is done in the event graph of ATBTT_GameMode. Have a look around it and it should hopefully become clear how this is done.

For an in Depth explanation see my fifth tutorial video (which isthisbad kindly linked to) and click the link in its description to ATBTT_GameMode. Units are sorted in initiative order in the Sort Pawns in Initiative Order function (or a similar name. I cannot check until next week when I'm home). To make Your own function, add them to the array in the order you want them to be activated. All this is the easy part, while the tricky part is to make several changes to the toolkit to allow for multiple player factions. I have discussed this in more detail in earlier posts, but the main thing you will need to do is to change functions such as Pathfinding and Find Tiles in Range (both in BP_GridManager) among others so that they look for units of all opposing factions, and not just the enemy or player faction as it is currently done.

This will take quite a bit of work to get right, so I recommend that you have a good overview of the toolkit before you start. I recommend watching all my tutorials and working on some other parts of your game first until you know how most stuff works.

@Mopperl: Hi there. The toolkit does support 4.8, so I'm uncertain what might be causing your issue. Like I've mentioned this sort of thing happens when a false value is returned for some of my blueprints. Are you using the 4.8 Version of the toolkit, or an earlier version converted to 4.8? I would recommend uninstalling the toolkit, downloading it again from the marketplace page (make sure to select 4.8) and creating a brand new project with the toolkit using the Create Project button next to the toolkit in the vault. Hopefully this should resolve you problem, as it really should work out of the box with 4.8. If it still doesn't work let me know, and I'll think on it some more.

Discord

Comment

@Monokkel, isthisbad: Hi, thanks for your advice, much appreciated .
                  Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                    @Mopperl: Hi there. The toolkit does support 4.8, so I'm uncertain what might be causing your issue. Like I've mentioned this sort of thing happens when a false value is returned for some of my blueprints. Are you using the 4.8 Version of the toolkit, or an earlier version converted to 4.8? I would recommend uninstalling the toolkit, downloading it again from the marketplace page (make sure to select 4.8) and creating a brand new project with the toolkit using the Create Project button next to the toolkit in the vault. Hopefully this should resolve you problem, as it really should work out of the box with 4.8. If it still doesn't work let me know, and I'll think on it some more.
                    Yeah my bad, it seems to have been the whole converting to 4.8 of an older version that caused the issues it all works fine now Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mariyan View Post
                      @Monokkel, isthisbad: Hi, thanks for your advice, much appreciated .
                      Regards
                      No problem!

I actually set mine up a little different than what Knut suggested. Ended up leaving his Pathfinding and Find Tiles in Range functions alone and just set everyone except the Player as Enemy Faction, then created my own Faction/Team Enum for UI/Game Rules/Abilities/Etc that is set as a new variable on Unit Parent to reference later when the Pawn is placed on the Grid.

My main intention here being that I wanted to keep my hands clear of BP_GridManager for any future updates. Grid Manager holds all necessary logic for the grid itself, so keeping it pure is always good imho.

Comment

Also, just in case anyone was wondering how to add or place a unit on the grid during runtime, this is how I set mine up (Thanks to Knut for the assist in IM a while ago):

Click image for larger version

Name:	add_unit_to_grid.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	1084467

Basically it accepts a Unit Parent Class (What someone selected in the UI), the Index Tile in which to be placed on, and in my example I am converting from my custom faction list (which will be expanded on later) to the GridManager accepted Faction Enum. Once it creates the Actor and sets its values correctly; it adds that Actor to the proper GridManager arrays for the Grid Logic. The Unit is also getting returned in my function so that I can set some other values in the UI/GameMode after it has been created.

Side Note: If you are using the ATBTT_GameMode and you still want to utilize the Initiative order, you would need to add the 'Local Unit Actor' to that array as well.

Comment

Hi All

So apologies in advance - I'm a noob with Unreal and hence the ATBTT. Having skim read the forum having some issues with getting the toolkit up and running. I'm running a fresh install of 4.8.3 and recently purchased the toolkit. Have watched all of the videos (which convinced me to buy the toolkit) and seem to have the same problem that a number of people have occured, inasmuch that when pressing play after setting up the grid (hex) with a couple of actors, control seems to be passed to the camera and not the player.

@Monokkel: Firstly, this is a great piece of working and we cannot wait to start using it. Having used numerous engines (both custom and commercial), I really do think you're going to see some amazing work coming out with your toolkit. Apologies again as it appears that you're answering noob questions again but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

@Mopperl: Good to hear that was the issue. I had a hard time seeing what else it could be. I hope you'll have a bug free experience from now on

@isthisbad: That's a pretty clever way to add the new functionality easily without modifying too much of the core toolkit. Thanks for posting a screenshot! That will hopefully be helpful to Mariyan and others

Edit: @GrayMonkey: Hi there! Have you tried following the suggestions I gave to users who had similar problems? Try uninstalling the toolkit, going to the marketplace and downloading it again (making sure you have the 4.8 version selected). Then click the Create Project button right next to the toolkit in the vault to create a brand new ATBTT project (do not try to add the toolkit to an existing project, as this does not work out of the box, and requires some tweaking). Then try to play the example map in the editor and see if it works. If that doesn’t work I’ll try to think of other possibilities, but it’s what has helped other users before.
                            Last edited by Monokkel; 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by isthisbad View Post
                              Also, just in case anyone was wondering how to add or place a unit on the grid during runtime, this is how I set mine up (Thanks to Knut for the assist in IM a while ago):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54257[/ATTACH]

Basically it accepts a Unit Parent Class (What someone selected in the UI), the Index Tile in which to be placed on, and in my example I am converting from my custom faction list (which will be expanded on later) to the GridManager accepted Faction Enum. Once it creates the Actor and sets its values correctly; it adds that Actor to the proper GridManager arrays for the Grid Logic. The Unit is also getting returned in my function so that I can set some other values in the UI/GameMode after it has been created.

Side Note: If you are using the ATBTT_GameMode and you still want to utilize the Initiative order, you would need to add the 'Local Unit Actor' to that array as well.
                              Don't you need also to add the new spawned unit into the initiative array?
                              Thanks for posting the above, anyway
                              Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical Game
                              STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Arcane_Legacy/
                              IG: https://www.instagram.com/arcanelegacyofficial/
                              FB: https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneLegacy/
                              WEB: http://www.arcanelegacy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wisdom-HELLy View Post
                                Don't you need also to add the new spawned unit into the initiative array?
                                Thanks for posting the above, anyway
                                Read the side note in the post

If you are using the Initiative order for ATBTT_GameMode then you will need to include the unit in the Initiative array. I am using my own custom GameMode that does not include Initiative order, rather only by player selection of units and an end turn button to switch to different team turns. (This is mostly because I setup a 'Hotseat' type mode that requires you to end turn in order to switch to the other players units.)

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                                X