No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is what I am saying I can't change them at all. That is why I am wondering if there is something that locks them due to inheritance.

Comment

@Anzak: I can change it just fine. Have you created a child component of any of the default tiles? It seems like it since it says "inherited", even though the name is the same as the default one. In that case you cannot change collision as that's set from the parent unit. Instead oduplicate any of the four sample units if you want to modify the skeletal mesh.
      Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

I deleted the actor and recreated and no issues. Well no issues with the actor. It seems like every time I get one thing working 2 more break but such is the learning process.

Comment

@Anzak: Ok, good thing you got your first problem sorted, at least Can I help with your fresh issues?

Discord

Comment

@Monokkel: I am sure you could I just do not want to waste too much of your time as I work through the learning process. I spent a good 4 hours playing around with a logic error that if I had been looking at the code would have been clear right away but because of how Blueprints work I was not able to understand the issue for a long time. Right now I do have and issue that as new floor areas spawn they are not walkable if I turned off the grid like we talked about earlier. the problem is solved by showing the grid. I also have a loop condition that happens when I enter a trigger box that points to an area that already exists. I have some logic for cleaning up those boxes. I need to get a bit more logic in there to clean up. For example if I go forward then take 3 rights I come back to the first area. When I move back into the first area the trigger box on the right is still there and causes a loop as it tries to build to the right which already exists. I am thinking an array where I keep track of things will help. However I can not use negative elements which is a problem. Mostly it is learning Unreal better and learning how your tool kits does some things. I am sure I will ask questions as I go and I will try to keep them to the tool kit as much as possible.

Comment

@Anzak: Indeed, figuring stuff out on your own is often the best way to learn. However, it seems like you're trying to create levels procedurally; and in that case I should give you a nudge in the right direction to spare you some headache. If you use heightmap from tracing the toolkit generates an array containing the walkability of all tile edges at the start of the game by doing a line trace on all tile locations and checking if the PathTrace channel is blocked. If it is, the edges in the Edge Cost array are generally set to 1 (walkable). This is done in the Add Viewport Terrain To Arrays function, which is called at Event Begin Play in BP_GridManager. If you add new terrain to the level after this function has already run they will not be added to the array, and the toolkit does not know they exist as far as pathfinding is concerned. Make sure you add your procedural terrain before running this function.

If you want to get a deeper understanding of the toolkit I highly recommend that you watch my tutorial videos on YouTube. The fifth video in particular should give you a much better understanding of how all the blueprints work (it's as much a reference as a tutorial, running for almost three hours). Here's a link to my playlist, if you haven't seen all of them yet.

Discord

Comment

Thanks I thought I had watched them all I guess not. Could I call the add viewport terrain to arrays function manually when I add something. What I am doing right now is I am building the function of the D&D board games with the tile system that as you explore the edge of the map you get a new random tile. Once I get that function working I have some other stuff I will add to it. The point is you do not know what the next area will be until you reach the edge. This is important because there will be an array of preset rooms that as you add new rooms you take them from the array and add them. This means even if the array was exactly the same if the player goes left instead of right the map will be different. I am actually thinking of storing the state of the actor being on the edge and then calling a function when the turn is over to check if they are still on the edge.

Comment

You could call it after you add a romm, but it would be overkill, as it looks at every single tile and tile location in the game, which is likely to cause a noticable drop in framerate if it's done at runtime. I would instead suggest one of two methods. The first is to procedurally generate your entire dungeon at event begin play, but to make most rooms invisible. Then you would make them visible instead of spawning them at runtime. The other possibility is to add the new tiles added directly to the Edge Array when they are spawned. See my sixth tutorial video for an example of how to do this, where I do something similar when I change the edge array to reflect difficult terrain caused by exploding trees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeQM...jG9qgubj15jXKF

Discord

Comment

That is an interesting thought. I also considered just making each room a blank base tile make it invisible and then make it visible as needed and just spawn the walls. Rather then the whole room. Though would that not go back to my other problem with the empty floor being walkable? I guess if I set the collision to false when I hide it. Not sure. I will have to play a bit more. I will make sure to watch the two videos you linked to see if maybe there is something else I can take advantage of.

Comment

Hello again.
                      I must say that I'm really impressed with your video tutorials about the toolkit. Really good and informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Anzak View Post
                        That is an interesting thought. I also considered just making each room a blank base tile make it invisible and then make it visible as needed and just spawn the walls. Rather then the whole room. Though would that not go back to my other problem with the empty floor being walkable? I guess if I set the collision to false when I hide it. Not sure. I will have to play a bit more. I will make sure to watch the two videos you linked to see if maybe there is something else I can take advantage of.
                        If you do not show the default tile and set collision plane walkable to false, only the tiles you designate (or with through heightmap tracing) will be walkable. I'm partial to creating the entire dungeon at begin play if there is no specific reason that you need it to be determined at a later point, but either way should be fine. Good luck with finding solutions, and don't hesitate to ask if you're completely stuck on a problem.

Originally posted by AxelRantila View Post
                        Hello again.
                        I must say that I'm really impressed with your video tutorials about the toolkit. Really good and informative.
                        Thanks! I spent a lot of time on them, so it means a lot to hear that. Let me know if you have any requests for further tutorials (that goes for anyone who reads this thread)

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                          If you do not show the default tile and set collision plane walkable to false, only the tiles you designate (or with through heightmap tracing) will be walkable. I'm partial to creating the entire dungeon at begin play if there is no specific reason that you need it to be determined at a later point, but either way should be fine. Good luck with finding solutions, and don't hesitate to ask if you're completely stuck on a problem.

Thanks! I spent a lot of time on them, so it means a lot to hear that. Let me know if you have any requests for further tutorials (that goes for anyone who reads this thread)
                          A tutorial on having multiple different grid managers in one scene would be useful if it's possible. As would having a tutorial for multistory buildings (but i think thats later in the pipeline)

Comment

Originally posted by tamaster92 View Post
                            A tutorial on having multiple different grid managers in one scene would be useful if it's possible. As would having a tutorial for multistory buildings (but i think thats later in the pipeline)
                            Thanks for the suggestion, but these are changes that will require a pretty major reworking of some of the fundamental subsystems in the toolkit. Thus this is something that is a better fit for an update than a tutorial, which is what I have planned. I am planning on adding multi-level grids in the not too distant future, but multiple different grid managers are a lower priority at the moment.

I'm interested in knowing what People would use multiple grid managers for, as most cases I can think of are pretty niche. For dungeons one can simply use a single grid that is large enough to encompass all the rooms in the dungeon. The toolkit is efficient enough that there isn't that much to gain in terms of optimization for dungeons this way.

Another use I can think of is if you want multiple board games within a single room, if perhaps you want to make some sort of digital arcade with multiple turn based games. You could also make something like this using the same Method as for the Dungeons mentioned above, but I can see that it would be a bit awkward. What would you be using multiple grid managers for, tamaster92?

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                              Thanks for the suggestion, but these are changes that will require a pretty major reworking of some of the fundamental subsystems in the toolkit. Thus this is something that is a better fit for an update than a tutorial, which is what I have planned. I am planning on adding multi-level grids in the not too distant future, but multiple different grid managers are a lower priority at the moment.

I'm interested in knowing what People would use multiple grid managers for, as most cases I can think of are pretty niche. For dungeons one can simply use a single grid that is large enough to encompass all the rooms in the dungeon. The toolkit is efficient enough that there isn't that much to gain in terms of optimization for dungeons this way.

Another use I can think of is if you want multiple board games within a single room, if perhaps you want to make some sort of digital arcade with multiple turn based games. You could also make something like this using the same Method as for the Dungeons mentioned above, but I can see that it would be a bit awkward. What would you be using multiple grid managers for, tamaster92?
                              Personally it would be to have different shaped boards without having to block off access to some of it. A T shape for example would be easily achieved with two rectangle boards connected instead of one big square with some blocked out.

I can understand it being a low priority though, not exactly super important

Comment

Originally posted by tamaster92 View Post
                                Personally it would be to have different shaped boards without having to block off access to some of it. A T shape for example would be easily achieved with two rectangle boards connected instead of one big square with some blocked out.

I can understand it being a low priority though, not exactly super important
                                Ok, that's a bit of a corner case, but I can see how it would be useful in such cases. However, having multiple grids that you are able to move between would require changes to both Pathfinding and Find Tiles in Range, which would for every tile checked also make sure there might be any tiles that can be moved to/seen outside the bounds of the current grid. This would in the very least require some new branches.

This might not seem like that big of a deal, but every new addition to those very heavy function means a measurable slowing in the calculations. Even though this would probably not be noticeable to the user I would personally prefer map building to be a bit more awkward compared to making pathfinding less efficient if I was to make a T-map.
                                Last edited by Monokkel; 07-17-2015, 09:30 AM.

Discord

Comment

Working...
                                X