[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post

Hmm, not sure exactly what is going on here. Thanks for the detailed explanation, but I'm a bit too pressed on time to test this out personally these days. I have suggestions for a few things you can test, though. If you spawn a single unit with this setup, do you get the same issue? If you spawn a significantly smaller number of units to you get the same issue? What if you add a gate, checking if GridUnits does not already an index on the tile you spawn the unit? What if you use just the regular unmodified BP_Unit_Anim blueprint, all using the default ability? If you can provide answers to these it will help narrow it down, so that I can come up with a suggestion.
    Hey, no worries, man, I didn't see your last post on the new mini-human before writing, so by all means ignore silly bug questions and enjoy your time with the little one. They really do grow up crazy fast. Congratulations!!!!

Originally posted by codeyhanson View Post
    Congrats on the baby you where totally right on the components thing I needed to add it to the enemies as well and needed the ExtraAttributes and that fixed everything thank you. will understand you have limited time but wondering a similar thing as above post when I use the following below in the hybrid example noting change but the trigger for combat I added the following to spawn a unit with AI checked and enemy but when it becomes its turn all I get is end turn and the unit does noting. Click image for larger version

Name:	spawn.PNG
Views:	177
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1796605
    codeyhanson, this may or may not be helpful, but so far I've fallen back to randomly spawning units NON-realtime and doing a trace check if there are any top down objects in the way (trees, rocks, buildings, whatevs). One thing of note, this doesn't correctly check if it hits another editor-added unit and also doesn't guarantee a fixed number of enemies are actually spawned. Still have to work on that this afternoon, but planning on re-looping over the grid until the enemy unit count meets the desired number, then breaking the loop).

Best to you all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	non_realtime_random_spawning.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	1797004

Comment

So here is a video link for the camera problem if anyone else has any ideas basically in the experimental build if you add the ability's component to the player character it will cause the camera on the turn base mode to get out of place on the 2nd combat u can see this is the video below. first go in video is the glitch or error 2nd go around I remove the ability's and it works just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5L8...ature=youtu.be

Also thank you for the reply darthje5u5 but in my case it did not help.
      Last edited by codeyhanson; 08-04-2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Congratulations Knut! I hope your baby is doing good and mother is recover good as well. Hope you enjoyed sleep while you could. About my last question regarding ai and the hybrid map. I have my ai tree set to stop when combat begins but in order to do this I have to use my own ai controller. What I would like is to switch npc's from my ai controller to yours for when combat starts and back again to mine after combat. Any ideas how/where I can do that or do you think it's best to use my ai controller for both (that's gonna be quite some modifications but I'm ok if I cant avoid it). Thanks and welcome to being a dad.
        Last edited by Methosborgoff; 08-05-2020, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the baby you where totally right on the components thing I needed to add it to the enemies as well and needed the ExtraAttributes and that fixed everything thank you. will understand you have limited time but wondering a similar thing as above post when I use the following below in the hybrid example noting change but the trigger for combat I added the following to spawn a unit with AI checked and enemy but when it becomes its turn all I get is end turn and the unit does noting.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	spawn.PNG Views:	12 Size:	139.2 KB ID:	1796605
          Hmm, hard to know for sure without testing (and time is a bit tight atm), but I can tell you what I would test first. Does this work with regular BP_Unit_Anim units? If so, this might be tied to the ability system.​

Originally posted by darthje5u5 View Post

Hey, no worries, man, I didn't see your last post on the new mini-human before writing, so by all means ignore silly bug questions and enjoy your time with the little one. They really do grow up crazy fast. Congratulations!!!!
          Thanks! I'll try to respond when I'm able, but my responses will likely take longer for a while, and I might only rarely have the time to test stuff myself in engine.

Originally posted by darthje5u5 View Post
          codeyhanson, this may or may not be helpful, but so far I've fallen back to randomly spawning units NON-realtime and doing a trace check if there are any top down objects in the way (trees, rocks, buildings, whatevs). One thing of note, this doesn't correctly check if it hits another editor-added unit and also doesn't guarantee a fixed number of enemies are actually spawned. Still have to work on that this afternoon, but planning on re-looping over the grid until the enemy unit count meets the desired number, then breaking the loop).

Best to you all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	non_realtime_random_spawning.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	1797004
          Thanks for chiming in with the suggestion. Personally I would keep it to arrays as much as possible. Checking the GridUnits TMap before spawning would ensure you don't spawn on top of any existing units. Checking GridLocations ensures there is a valid tile there. Checking GridEdges you can check that there is a tile there and that it is connected to at least one other tile.

So here is a video link for the camera problem if anyone else has any ideas basically in the experimental build if you add the ability's component to the player character it will cause the camera on the turn base mode to get out of place on the 2nd combat u can see this is the video below. first go in video is the glitch or error 2nd go around I remove the ability's and it works just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5L8...ature=youtu.be

Also thank you for the reply darthje5u5 but in my case it did not help.
          Thanks for providing the video. Unfortunately I'm still not sure what the issue could be here. Some unpredicted interaction between the experimental hybrid code and the advanced ability system that I have not tested for. I would have to test this out myself. I will try to get to it as soon as possible, but it might take a few days before I have the time.

Originally posted by Methosborgoff View Post
          Congratulations Knut! I hope your baby is doing good and mother is recover good as well. Hope you enjoyed sleep while you could. About my last question regarding ai and the hybrid map. I have my ai tree set to stop when combat begins but in order to do this I have to use my own ai controller. What I would like is to switch npc's from my ai controller to yours for when combat starts and back again to mine after combat. Any ideas how/where I can do that or do you think it's best to use my ai controller for both (that's gonna be quite some modifications but I'm ok if I cant avoid it). Thanks and welcome to being a dad.
          I think shutting off the AI Controller and starting it up again should be simple, though I cannot be sure without knowing your exact setup. Isn't a simple UnPossess call working?
          Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

Thank you so much and take all the time you need with the Baby no rush really this is a hobby of mine till I get further in we are a small team of 5 trying to make a 3D stardew valley like game with your combat system.
            Hmm, hard to know for sure without testing (and time is a bit tight atm), but I can tell you what I would test first. Does this work with regular BP_Unit_Anim units? If so, this might be tied to the ability system.​
            to answer your question it works fine with the debug units yes. its only units with the ability system on it.

Comment

Heyho, congratulations from my site aswell, I can feel with you, my mini-human is 1,5 years What I can tell you is, that everything gets easier with every month till now.

Chance to kill is now working fine though it needed some more modifications too, big thanks again.

Is there any chance to make it 100% sure for AI turns in a row, that the next AI unit will only start calculating/acting by any meanings when the first AI unit is completely done (exhausted). I am using the turnmanager initiative without modifications and sometimes the next AI unit starts calculationg things even when the first one is still moving f.e. I tried a bit with the macro "waiting for ongoing actions" but have no success till now.

Maybe you can give me a quick hint what you would do to make this 100% sure.
              Thanks in advance and enjoy your time with the mini one

Comment

I too would kill to see a Gears Tactics style movement system added.

Comment

Thank you so much and take all the time you need with the Baby no rush really this is a hobby of mine till I get further in we are a small team of 5 trying to make a 3D stardew valley like game with your combat system. to answer your question it works fine with the debug units yes. its only units with the ability system on it.
                  Okay, next question. Does the grid manger in your hybrid map have the cover system and stealth system components? they are necessary for the advanced abilities to work properly. I have tested out the hybrid map with advanced units and I cannot reproduce the crash you are reporting.

Originally posted by Infest1908 View Post
                  Heyho, congratulations from my site aswell, I can feel with you, my mini-human is 1,5 years What I can tell you is, that everything gets easier with every month till now.

Chance to kill is now working fine though it needed some more modifications too, big thanks again.

Is there any chance to make it 100% sure for AI turns in a row, that the next AI unit will only start calculating/acting by any meanings when the first AI unit is completely done (exhausted). I am using the turnmanager initiative without modifications and sometimes the next AI unit starts calculationg things even when the first one is still moving f.e. I tried a bit with the macro "waiting for ongoing actions" but have no success till now.

Maybe you can give me a quick hint what you would do to make this 100% sure.
                  Thanks in advance and enjoy your time with the mini one
                  Thanks! So far the magic far outweighs the tragic when it comes to having a kid, so if it just gets better I have a lot to look forward to

Hmm, the WaitForOngoingActions macro should do what you are describing already. I guess something is not working the way I'm intending. Are you able to reproduce this in a fresh project and give me the repro steps?

Originally posted by LumberingTroll View Post
                  I too would kill to see a Gears Tactics style movement system added.
                  I'm afraid you are going to have to elaborate. I have unfortunately not have the time to play Gears Tactics yet (though it is high on my list). Can you describe in detail the mechanic you are after? Perhaps provide a video?

Discord

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply glad to hear you are having magic with your kid hope to have one my self soon. OK I started a brand new project and show what I do start to finish glitch 1 is at 3:24 where the camera problem happens glitch 2 is at 5:04 where the spawn units with ability's happens. I do have both cover and stealth if there is anything I'm missing in the video or you need me to test let me know please and thank you. I tried to make the video as short as possible its about 5 mins 30 secs long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM3-IN1dfkQ

Comment

Yes I think I can
                      Basic level, game mode initiative (I think its optional), add initiative bar, set move_attack to from pathfinding costs, add ability system, set move attribute to 1, set action points attributes to 6, add 8 ai enemies, set their current health to 50 (optional too I think) add the heal ability to all of them, give your own unit some more health.
                      Add a print string to BP_Turnmanager after "run on actor selected". You will see, that sometimes it prints out the next unit even when the previous one is still acting.

Greetings
                      Last edited by Infest1908; 08-12-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

ok there is alot to filter through in this thread. soo if someone can point me in the correct direction cause my searches are yielding confusing results.

i guess i should list a few things i am trying to do.
                        goal: make a text turn based tactical rpg.
                        1. I want to make two teams for starters that are both controled by ai (figured that already)
                        2. ai from team 1 needs to read from its list of actions given to it from various text files
                        3. at the end of each round (both teams turns) return a combat log
                          - return all actors alive
                          - all actors current health
                          - any debuffs or buffs (later on down the road)
                        4. need to make scripted events along with mandatory spells that must be cast enemy ai (team 2)

Comment

Sorry for the late answer, people. Been busy with the baby, and the questions here were tricky enough that I had to test some things in engine before I could answer. Ok, here goes:

Thank you so much for your reply glad to hear you are having magic with your kid hope to have one my self soon. OK I started a brand new project and show
                          what I do start to finish glitch 1 is at 3:24 where the camera problem happens glitch 2 is at 5:04 where the spawn units with ability's happens. I do have both cover and stealth if there is anything I'm missing in the video or you need me to test let me know please and thank you. I tried to make the video as short as possible its about 5 mins 30 secs long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM3-IN1dfkQ
                          So for the camera issue, the camera panning when shooting a laser does not seem to play nice with the camera interpolation between thrid person and top down. Did not have time to fix it properly, but you can simply disable camera panning in the laser ability to prevent the issue:

for your second issue, this seems to be a more general ATBTT issue. I do not automatically setup the ability system component for units spawned at runtime with this component. You can modify the unit spawning code so that it is properly set up, like so:

Hope that gives you the results you are after!

Originally posted by Infest1908 View Post
                          Yes I think I can
                          Basic level, game mode initiative (I think its optional), add initiative bar, set move_attack to from pathfinding costs, add ability system, set move attribute to 1, set action points attributes to 6, add 8 ai enemies, set their current health to 50 (optional too I think) add the heal ability to all of them, give your own unit some more health.
                          Add a print string to BP_Turnmanager after "run on actor selected". You will see, that sometimes it prints out the next unit even when the previous one is still acting.

Greetings
                          Hmm, ok. So you have a pretty strange setup, which I guess might help explain this issue. Wait for Ongoing Actions works great if there are actual actions to wait for. But if your enemy units only have the heal ability and there is nothing to heal, they will never queue any actions on their turn, which might make it possible for the turn manager to skip between the units more quickly than I intended. This is an unforseen effect of when units have no valid abilities. I will need to look into this a bit more closely to figure out a good solution. Until then, could you describe why you need unit selection to wait for ongoing actions in your particular game? Helps for me to know the possible edge cases when I'm making changes like these.

Originally posted by LuxJahi View Post
                          ok there is alot to filter through in this thread. soo if someone can point me in the correct direction cause my searches are yielding confusing results.

i guess i should list a few things i am trying to do.
                          goal: make a text turn based tactical rpg.
                          Hi Lux, noone who makes a game like the one you describe has asked for support in this thread, so you won't find answers to your specific questions in earlier posts. I'll see if I can help you though.

[*]I want to make two teams for starters that are both controled by ai (figured that already)
                          Yes, that is as simple as checking the "bAIControlled" bool in the unit blueprints.

[*]ai from team 1 needs to read from its list of actions given to it from various text files
                          This is more of a general UE4 data question than an ATBTT specitic one. UE4 does not have any built-in functionality for reading external text-files that I'm aware of. I did code this for a project I did at work in C++, so it is possible, though. Probably simpler if you can format it in a way that you can import as data tables. As soon as you have access to the data there are various ways you can set things up so that what abilities a unit has is defined in the data tables. Could be simple or difficult depending on exactly what you're after.

[*]at the end of each round (both teams turns) return a combat log
                          - return all actors alive
                          - all actors current health
                          - any debuffs or buffs (later on down the road)
                          That should be simple. Loop over all actors and log their health and status effects.

[*]need to make scripted events along with mandatory spells that must be cast enemy ai (team 2)
                          This one I don't really understand. Could you give some concrete examples?

Really curious what sort of game you are making here. Are there any published games similar to this that you can mention?

Discord

Comment

Nah they got Move_Attack too. Just additionally the heal ability. So just a normal setup + heal ability. The only thing, that is a bit special, is that the ai has multiple actions in one turn, during to "from pathfinding costs" and multiple action points.

Edit: while testing along, I figured out, that it mostly happens, when the second (or third and so on / the first one works) AI Unit in a row moves with move_attack after using an ability (heal f.e.). There is then no (or to short) action qued for the movement. Therefore it skips the "wait for ongoing actions" The "Move Timeline" works fine too, as far as I have checked via breakpoints. But even when "Call on Unit End Movement Animate" is not reached for the first AI unit, the next unit gets active to early.

But thats really only happening, when the ai uses an ability first and then starts moving. When they are only moving everything works fine.

I have two potential places:
                            1. Is it maybe, because the array is cleared here? (screenshot) Just unhooking the "clear" crashes the engine for me when I click "play" btw
                            2. Or because the actions within "heal" ability f.e. are run with the immediate tag
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Infest1908; 08-15-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you so Much both things worked 1000% now that is resolved I can really focus on making my own ability's and system have already converted the laser to an arrow and will be following your videos to add my own creatures and animations. also now that I know the camera issue came from the laser ability it will help in future if I do decide to do stuff with the camera to always check to make sure they are playing nicely with other camera operations. again thank you I hope you are having so much fun with your family.

Comment

1. Congrats on the baby! new life is good life take care of it
                                2. That would make a lot of sense why i couldnt find anything
                                3. ok soo it needs input into data tables first and then the ai can use the information? cool, i kinda figured as much but, im also new to all this.
                                  - where can i find the data tables for movement?
                                  - my first goal will be to force each of the ai actors on team 1 to move to only one specific tile based on the text file each turn
                                4. i know there is a section in one of the videos about getting the tile location to print to the screen. i will look at that video again and start there with making the loop
                                5. as far as scripted events i wanted to make scripted events kinda like boss encounters in wow. I want certain creatures to skip ability assessments and be forced to cast certain spells or move to certain areas based on certain criteria and if its been met
                                  - im assuming its somewhere in the blue prints.
                                  i have been watching and listening to the ability system videos darn near repeat and its confusing cause it feels like the word "ability" gets used sooo much.
                                  to use ability you must ability> ability> ability then ability will ability
                                  i just need to watch em closely and do it in short intervals so i dont get ability sickness (its working)
                                6. lastly, there are no published games for whats going on in my head. I wouldnt mind chit chatting about it, just not on forums. i have already had 2 ideas stolen from me. im not mad they made a bunch of money off them but, im sad cause they didnt take care of the ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X