Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Infest1908 View Post
    Hio

    @Mono. First one works already, even if it wont mark the choosen tile with the squareboxmarker after the first hit and doesn´t show the spline when you move the mouse away from that tile. But I will try to fix it. The other ones I will test out now. Big thanks

    Dijon about mouse rotation:
    I have it like this in BP_GridCamera. In addition you can invert the rotation behavior with a negative float value of "FloatCamRotationSensity".
    Originally posted by Infest1908 View Post
    Hio

    @Mono. First one works already, even if it wont mark the choosen tile with the squareboxmarker after the first hit and doesn´t show the spline when you move the mouse away from that tile. But I will try to fix it. The other ones I will test out now. Big thanks

    Dijon about mouse rotation:
    I have it like this in BP_GridCamera. In addition you can invert the rotation behavior with a negative float value of "FloatCamRotationSensity".
    Infest1908 I've been away for a while and I didn't see your post. Thank you for taking the time to show me how to do that. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

    Is the FloatCamRotationSensitivity an exist variable, or a new one that you created? Is there a particular range of values that you could suggest?

    Is the Input Action CamRotationMouse new as well? If yes, did you just set it up in the input manager? Is it keyed to a particular mouse button?

    Thanks again!

    Comment


      Originally posted by Dijon View Post
      Infest1908 I've been away for a while and I didn't see your post. Thank you for taking the time to show me how to do that. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

      Is the FloatCamRotationSensitivity an exist variable, or a new one that you created? Is there a particular range of values that you could suggest?

      Is the Input Action CamRotationMouse new as well? If yes, did you just set it up in the input manager? Is it keyed to a particular mouse button?

      Thanks again!
      I can chime in on this A mouse look sensitivity around 10 feels pretty good, but you can adjust it by feel. It is a new variable added to BP_GridCamera. As for clamping the pitch you can go as extreme as min: -89.9, max: -5 if you want a range perfect top down to just above the floor. You should indeed use a new input action that you can set up in the input settigs in the project settings. I've personally keyed it to middle mouse button.
      Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

      Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

      Discord

      Comment


        That's awesome, thanks!

        Have you ever had an issue with the Jungle Raid map where once you shoot with a unit, the game freezes. I'm just using the default characters but I don't see where it's hanging up. If you could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

        Comment


          Not sure if this was asked before might have missed it. Are there any games using this currently available? I wanna check out projects other people have released.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Dijon View Post
            That's awesome, thanks!

            Have you ever had an issue with the Jungle Raid map where once you shoot with a unit, the game freezes. I'm just using the default characters but I don't see where it's hanging up. If you could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
            Hmm, well that's not good. Have you made any modifications? Does it happen every time a unit shoots and how does it freeze? Do you hit the loop limit and the game crashes or is the game running, but the game doesn't proceed to the next unit in the turn order?
            Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

            Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

            Discord

            Comment


              No modifications to the jungle raid map, nor any of your code.
              Yes, it happens every time.
              You're locked out of the game (can't click on anything)
              Once it freezes, I stop the game so I don't know about hitting a loop limit. Unless the loop value is extremely high, it should have triggered.
              Game doesn't crash, it just locks you out (yes, you can't proceed)

              Have you been able to repro this? I may just have a corrupted install and could try re-downloading.

              Edit: I removed the local content and re-downloaded the project and it works OK. Something must have gotten corrupted.
              Last edited by Dijon; 06-27-2020, 11:41 AM.

              Comment


                Question from discord "I'm having trouble getting a door to open and close and be able to walk though it. So far this works but only for a door facing south. I used a child of the south wall blueprint to make a door. What I was trying to do was get the rotation of the door and have that go into the direction ENUM switch and use the correct get tile in direction so I don't have to have different doors for each direction"

                The execution pins from "set relative location" went to a rats nest of "Get tile locations" and a switch on EDirection. I actually got it working somewhat. with two box triggers on the same door seemed like a better solution. Seems to work on start in North south east and west. But i'm guessing that will cause problems if I have lots of doors on a level? The AI also does not go though the doors and cant detect me at all even with the stealth system disabled. Could that be related to the issue of if the door opens and your turn ends you can no longer move though the door but you can if your turn does not end?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Dijon View Post
                  No modifications to the jungle raid map, nor any of your code.
                  Yes, it happens every time.
                  You're locked out of the game (can't click on anything)
                  Once it freezes, I stop the game so I don't know about hitting a loop limit. Unless the loop value is extremely high, it should have triggered.
                  Game doesn't crash, it just locks you out (yes, you can't proceed)

                  Have you been able to repro this? I may just have a corrupted install and could try re-downloading.

                  Edit: I removed the local content and re-downloaded the project and it works OK. Something must have gotten corrupted.
                  Ok, thanks for letting me know. Good to hear that a clean reinstall solved it.

                  Originally posted by Joker of Souls View Post
                  Question from discord "I'm having trouble getting a door to open and close and be able to walk though it. So far this works but only for a door facing south. I used a child of the south wall blueprint to make a door. What I was trying to do was get the rotation of the door and have that go into the direction ENUM switch and use the correct get tile in direction so I don't have to have different doors for each direction"

                  The execution pins from "set relative location" went to a rats nest of "Get tile locations" and a switch on EDirection. I actually got it working somewhat. with two box triggers on the same door seemed like a better solution. Seems to work on start in North south east and west. But i'm guessing that will cause problems if I have lots of doors on a level? The AI also does not go though the doors and cant detect me at all even with the stealth system disabled. Could that be related to the issue of if the door opens and your turn ends you can no longer move though the door but you can if your turn does not end?
                  Hi, so this is something I would personally solve with the new UpdateTilesInRange function, which will help you not having to hardcode all the directions. If you use UpdateTilesInRange with bTraceForWalls set to true, you can input the door ar the origin index with a range of 1. You would have a collision volume overlapping the tile of the door that blocks WallTrace. If you open the door you set CollisionEnabled to false for this volume and then run UpdateTilesInRange. This will work for all directions.

                  As an aside, there is an issue with the blueprint you provided. The update execute pin in a Timeline executes every tick while the timeline is running. That means that in your code you add edges probably a hundred times or more. You should instead have called those nodes either before the timeline or on Finished.

                  For the AI I will need some more info. The AI has no way of knowing that doors can be opened, and just work with the pathfinding they calculate at the start of their turn. For them to consider moving through doors you might want to "open" all doors at the start of their turn (without animating them) so that the AI knows it can pass through them.
                  Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                  Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                  Discord

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                    New tutorial video is up! This is the next in my series of the toolkit's basic features. This one covers tile actors:





                    Did you follow my previous instructions exactly? Did you place the GridManager at location 0,0,0 (with a GridSizeX and GridSizeY of 1) and a subgrid at location 100000,100000,0 (and use this subgrid as your starting location by placing a unit there)?
                    Hi Monokkel,

                    Wanted to let you know that we FINALLY got the UpdateTilesInRange function working. It looks like we were having trouble because the subgrids we were using weren't inheriting from the grid_actor blueprint so we couldn't cast properly or something, we weren't getting access. So we are using new ones inherited from the grid_actor and it works! It updates the tiles correctly when they spawn and correctly prevents the player from clicking outside of them.

                    Did you have an update though on how we can solve the issue we mentioned earlier about getting players to be able to share a space?

                    Thanks!

                    Comment


                      Hello knut, I have some questions about sub grids, working with hex tiles
                      is there a way to make sub grids say 10 x 10 shaped like round or diamond shape,
                      what would be easiest way to make a sub grid with a hole in the center (remove certain tiles).
                      If these questions have been asked and answered could you point me to the page number..
                      Thanks.

                      Comment


                        Hi Mono

                        short one i guess. Where can I change the mesh/material of the spline and move/range tile appearences? Changing it in the gridmanager does not work for me completely. Thank you

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by RTE1984 View Post

                          Hi Monokkel,

                          Wanted to let you know that we FINALLY got the UpdateTilesInRange function working. It looks like we were having trouble because the subgrids we were using weren't inheriting from the grid_actor blueprint so we couldn't cast properly or something, we weren't getting access. So we are using new ones inherited from the grid_actor and it works! It updates the tiles correctly when they spawn and correctly prevents the player from clicking outside of them.

                          Did you have an update though on how we can solve the issue we mentioned earlier about getting players to be able to share a space?

                          Thanks!
                          Glad you figured out what was not working. Apologies that I was not able to discern what you were doing wrong.

                          As for units sharing a space, did you get to test out the files I sent you? It had tile sharing that worked with some assumptions about your game.

                          Originally posted by Skulldug View Post
                          Hello knut, I have some questions about sub grids, working with hex tiles
                          is there a way to make sub grids say 10 x 10 shaped like round or diamond shape,
                          what would be easiest way to make a sub grid with a hole in the center (remove certain tiles).
                          If these questions have been asked and answered could you point me to the page number..
                          Thanks.
                          I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are attempting here. Think you could try to draw it?

                          Originally posted by Infest1908 View Post
                          Hi Mono

                          short one i guess. Where can I change the mesh/material of the spline and move/range tile appearences? Changing it in the gridmanager does not work for me completely. Thank you
                          The best place to change the appearance of the move/range tiles is in the specific abilities you are using. Just set the Static Mesh directly in the Details of the TileMarkers component.

                          The appearance of the spline is still defined in the Grid Manager, though. You can change its value in the SplinePathMesh public variable of BP_GridManager.
                          Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                          Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                          Discord

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Monokkel View Post

                            Glad you figured out what was not working. Apologies that I was not able to discern what you were doing wrong.

                            As for units sharing a space, did you get to test out the files I sent you? It had tile sharing that worked with some assumptions about your game.

                            Hi Monokkel,

                            I didn't know it had tile sharing. I tried testing it but I am not sure how to get it to work. For testing purposes I placed 2 units, one as player 0 and the other as player 1 but it says waiting for other player to arrive. Is there no local option?

                            I also tried setting both as player 0's units (which my game will not be doing) and they can only start on a shared space but won't share a space afterwards. Same if I set one of the units as an enemy/other faction. Is there an option somewhere to allow space sharing between players to turn on?

                            Comment


                              Thanks for the reply.. I am having a problem uploading pics here.. I will try to explain better. (using hex tiles) Drag a sub grid into level, set size to 9 x 9.
                              In the very center, I would like to remove the tile including index, mesh etc.. so there is a hole. Is that possible without messing the whole grid system ?
                              Or is there a way to make the sub grid place tiles on a static mesh like the "old" height map example from long long ago ?
                              Hope this helps.. if not I could pm you some images.
                              Thanks.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Monokkel View Post

                                Ok, thanks for letting me know. Good to hear that a clean reinstall solved it.



                                Hi, so this is something I would personally solve with the new UpdateTilesInRange function, which will help you not having to hardcode all the directions. If you use UpdateTilesInRange with bTraceForWalls set to true, you can input the door ar the origin index with a range of 1. You would have a collision volume overlapping the tile of the door that blocks WallTrace. If you open the door you set CollisionEnabled to false for this volume and then run UpdateTilesInRange. This will work for all directions.

                                As an aside, there is an issue with the blueprint you provided. The update execute pin in a Timeline executes every tick while the timeline is running. That means that in your code you add edges probably a hundred times or more. You should instead have called those nodes either before the timeline or on Finished.

                                For the AI I will need some more info. The AI has no way of knowing that doors can be opened, and just work with the pathfinding they calculate at the start of their turn. For them to consider moving through doors you might want to "open" all doors at the start of their turn (without animating them) so that the AI knows it can pass through them.
                                Thanks for the help and sorry for the late reply took a break from unreal to work in blender. In the end I went with a Simpler approach. I removed collision from the doors so the player can see what tiles they can move to without opening the door. What I'm thinking of doing now is setting up a animation trigger when a unit gets close to a door they will kick it open or something so they don't just clip though it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X