[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had some questions.
    1. In the BP Turn Manager blueprint, I noticed there's a game state. Things like Pre-Game and FreeRoam. Was this ever implemented? And how would I activate free roam? Ok, actually, I just discovered the hybrid game mode lol. Man.... you rock dude. Should put some videos out on that if you haven't already.
    2. How would you add newly spawned ai into the turn order? Say one ability is to create a new ai unit.
    3. I want to have a large map, but there's seems to be problems with a really big grid layout. What would be the best approach to this? Having multiple grid managers? Is that something that could work? Or somehow ignoring parts of the grid? It doesnt necessarily have to be a seamless flow, it could be broken up into "combat areas" if that makes sense. But I'd rather avoid a loading screen to another level or something similar... * on second look, there might not be any problems actually. Set it to 100 by 100 and got good results.
    Last edited by ridley075; 06-11-2020, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Hi
      1. I've set up my 2D camera in UE4 (can't Zoom), but on the Android it can Zoom,pan and Rotate.Why?
      the map setting is the 2D camera

2. I couldn't find how to set up checks to attack one of my friends in Server Interact. PossibleTargets? How to check can‘t attack friend

3. Why does the 2D protagonist move without scope at the beginning? How to open it?

Last edited by yb; 06-12-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RTE1984 View Post

Yeah, you won't have to click to select your unit / character. Players do not target each other in a direct way, meaning they do not attack each other. There will be a card system that can affect other players but none of them involve attacking. I can send you the PDF rule book if you think it would help. It will definitely give you insight into future questions I'll probably have, haha.

Originally posted by Infest1908 View Post
        Hi again

so I have four hopefully simple questions:

I want to have the mechanic of two clicks for ability move (or if it´s easier for more/all Abilities [Ability base]) for mouse input. Equal to what is already implemented for touch input. I already tried to skip some branches for the normal mouse input to directly point to the touch outgoing of the branches but with no success. The pawn is walking in strange directions then
        Making the following change to BP_AbilityBase will make all abilities require clicking the same tile twice:

is there a wait function implemented. That will set the initiative to a high value and pospone the units turn to the very end? If not where to start best?
        I think I had something like that in one version, but it seems to have been deprecated. I assume you're using BP_TurnManager_Initiative for your game? The order of units in initiative for that TurnManager is simply based on where they are in the InitiativeOrderActors array. After a unit's turn it sets bExhausted to true. A new turn starts when the turn manager tries to start the turn of a unit which is already exhausted. Thus to find the end of the turn you can loop through InitiativeOrderActors until you find the first actor of which the CheckIfExhausted interface returns true. Then you move your desired unit in the array from its current location to the index in front of the exhausted unit's one.

What is the best way for flying units or where to start? I am after the heroes of might an magic thing of flying not that xcom complex system. So that the unit can fyl over obstacles but not land on them. But I am open for a solution like invisible tiles above obstacles which can only be "walked" by units with a "fly" tag for example, or working around that with maximum hight accessable tiles for flying units
        There are many different ways to do this, and which is best depends a lot on your game, but here is a suggestion: Create a new Set of integers in BP_GridManager. This set defines which grid indexes have obstacles that should block all but flying units. Then motify SearchAndAddAdjacentTiles so that it checks if the tile it is considering for pathfinding is in the new Set right after it checks if the cost of the tile is lower than Move.

Only proceed to the add to PathsMap step if the index is not found in the set. Next modify SearchAndAdjacentTilesCustom1 in a similar way, but for this version, instead of not proceeding if the index is found go straight to where the index is added to LocalOpenListChildTiles. By adding it to this array pathfinding will continue from this tile, but by not adding it to PathsMap the unit will not be allowed to move onto the tile, thus allowing it to move through the obstacle.

Next create a new actor based off BP_GridActor which at BeginPlay adds its GridIndex to your custom Set variable and you have your custom obstacle. Lastly, set the PathfindingType variable of your flying units to Custom1.

Are big units still not supported for hex grids?
        Still not, sorry.

By the way: The more I digging in the project the more I see what you have already done and taken care of. Really incredible Do you accept any kind of donations? as I think that is more worthy then the ~42€ I have paid.
        Thanks, but what you've paid is enough

Big thanks in advance from germany to sweden
        Norway, but danke schön

Originally posted by ridley075 View Post
        Had some questions.
        1. In the BP Turn Manager blueprint, I noticed there's a game state. Things like Pre-Game and FreeRoam. Was this ever implemented? And how would I activate free roam? Ok, actually, I just discovered the hybrid game mode lol. Man.... you rock dude. Should put some videos out on that if you haven't already.
        1. Glad you found it It is in a bit of an experimental state, so not something I would want to make a video on yet. I might refactor it for the next update, though, at which point I'll consider a tutorial.

2. How would you add newly spawned ai into the turn order? Say one ability is to create a new ai unit.
        Spawned units are actually added to the turn order automatically if you set the variable bAutoInitiativeOnSpawn to true when spawning. It will add the unit to the end of initiative, though, and it will not work well with all the turn manager (come to think of it, I should refactor this part to be more modular). For more control add the unit to the InitiativeOrderActors array manually where you want it.

• I want to have a large map, but there's seems to be problems with a really big grid layout. What would be the best approach to this? Having multiple grid managers? Is that something that could work? Or somehow ignoring parts of the grid? It doesnt necessarily have to be a seamless flow, it could be broken up into "combat areas" if that makes sense. But I'd rather avoid a loading screen to another level or something similar... * on second look, there might not be any problems actually. Set it to 100 by 100 and got good results.
      Good to hear 100*100 is enough for you. ATBTT works great at that size and lower. If you want to push much larger thatn 100*100 then you probably want to do some optimizations to prevent slow map loading. I have various suggestions for people who want to go that way, since the optimal solution depends a lot on the game in question.

Originally posted by yb View Post
      Hi
      1. I've set up my 2D camera in UE4 (can't Zoom), but on the Android it can Zoom,pan and Rotate.Why?
      the map setting is the 2D camera
      Hi, I guess I never tested the 2D map on mobile. Do you want to disable panning/zooming on mobile or enable it on pc?

2. I couldn't find how to set up checks to attack one of my friends in Server Interact. PossibleTargets? How to check can‘t attack friend
      The 2D example is build with the assumption that you have just one unit, so it does not bother checking if a unit is friendly when you click it. You can add the following to ServerInteract in BP_Ability_2D to prevent attacking friendly units:

3. Why does the 2D protagonist move without scope at the beginning? How to open it?
      BP_Ability_2D is set up so that if there are more than 2 actors in InitiativeOrderActors it is in turn based mode, while if it is less than 3 it is in free roam mode. As the TurnManager has a place in InitiativeOrderActors, 2 actors means that only one unit is active (the player). You can change this to a check that loops through InitiativeOrderUnits and checks that there are no units of Faction Enemy in initiative order instead. If you search for InitiativeOrderActors in BP_Ability_2D you'll find the three places this is checked, which you can modify.
      Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

And for an announcement: I have just set up a Discord channel for ATBTT! There you can discuss anything ATBTT or turn based strategy related with other developers. It is also a better bet than the forums for PMing or e-mailing me, as the forum PM system is broken (Your recent PM to me is displayed as blank, mrorpheus ) and my e-mail is filled to the brim with academic spam. To be clear I still prefer that people use this forum thread for any complex support questions.

Here is a link to the Discord server!
        Last edited by Monokkel; 06-18-2020, 05:53 PM.

Discord

Comment

Hi Monokkel thank you.

1 question
          s
          But in the " BP_Ability" not have this codes can check Factions,why?

2 question
          In the 2d map, how to make the enemy act after our action end?

Comment

@yb: BP_Ability is made to be a simple base ability, so I try to limit the amount of code in it. It is arguable that it might be a good idea to have a function for checking the faction of a clicked unit in BP_Ability, but it is also fairly quick to add to any ability that needs it.

For your 2D map question, perhaps instead of answering one and one question you can describe to me a bit more about how you want your game to function? If you want something that works similarly to the regular Example map, just in 2D, then it is probably best not to use BP_Ability_2D as a base for your abilities. Could you tell me how you want your whole game to work? Is it similar to some published game?

Discord

Comment

Hio

@Mono. First one works already, even if it wont mark the choosen tile with the squareboxmarker after the first hit and doesn´t show the spline when you move the mouse away from that tile. But I will try to fix it. The other ones I will test out now. Big thanks

Dijon about mouse rotation:
              I have it like this in BP_GridCamera. In addition you can invert the rotation behavior with a negative float value of "FloatCamRotationSensity".
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Infest1908; 06-13-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the camera setup, @Infest1908. I was assuming I'd have to do some more serious refactoring to get mouse look to work, since the way the grid camera moves is a bit strange, but your solution should solve it. Hope you don't mind if I include something close to this in a future update.

As for showing the move spline for a single click you have to set enable hover to false for the ability, or the spline will immediately disappear from the next hover call.

Discord

Comment

No Problem, yes of course throw it in
                  Thanks I will try it out.

Comment

Hey! this is a great asset. I have one question about something that I cannot seem to figure out (See pictures below - I made a video recording of the issue but I can't seem to upload it here, so I have done some screenshots of the video)

I am using the hybrid gamemode and hybrid unit on a custom level. When I enter the combat trigger that I placed, the unit flies off to the corner of the map, however the grid plays out as if the character has actually not moved at all. If I click on a tile to move there, the unit will start moving from the odd location all the way to the tile that I clicked on (Whilst clipping through the floor). Does anyone know what is happening here? I have played around with a few things but I am stuck.

Let me know if you need more info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	1776424Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	1776426Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	1776427Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	1776428

There is also the issue of the gun not attaching to the character but I think I saw the fix for that somewhere, so I will look into that once the issue above is figured out.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Has the quote button on the forums stopped working for anyone else? Just me?

@Infest1908: Great, thanks!

@ShadowHereticx:
                      So this error indicates that the unit has been added to the grid on the corrent grid index (since the grid manager treats this tile as the start location for movement). However, something jumping to the corner of the grid is likely the result of some function supposed to return a GridIndex returning false, which is interpreted as GridIndex 0 (at the corner of the map). Look at the code that happens immediately before the unit mesh is moved to the corner of the map. Try printing the values or using breakpoints to see where it returns 0. Have you changed anything from the hybrid example map?

Discord

Comment

Okay, it is time to unveil a project I've been working on for the past few months. The Dungeon Crawler Toolkit is a new asset for the Unreal Engine marketplace. It includes everything you need to make a first-person dungeon crawler in the style of Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master and Legend of Grimrock!

The project actually started out as an ATBTT example project. Over the years several developers using ATBTT have asked me if the toolkit is suited for this sort of game, so I wanted to try my hand at it. For some reason I thought it would be quick and simple, but the project just grew and grew.

First, I had movement, but then you needed to have objects to interact with. And then you needed loot, but if you needed loot you needed weapons, and if you had weapons you needed stats and if you had stats you needed classes and if you had classes you needed spells... And so on and so on. It very quickly became clear that this would have to be a standalone asset, and though there are still a couple of things shared with ATBTT (some of the grid-based level generation and pathfinding) it is very much is own thing.

It has a full character creation system, inventory, monsters with AI, powers and spells, custom grid-based movement and more. It is highly data driven, allowing you to add new monsters, items and spells by expanding the appropriate data tables.

In case someone is worrying that this will take my focus away from ATBTT, there is no reason to do so. I am making my own game in ATBTT and I love working on it. I believe that working on a different project in parallel will actually end up benefitting ATBTT greatly. It is easy to get tunnel vision when working on a single project for so long, and returning to ATBTT after working on DCT for a while let me identify many places for improvements that I did not see before. The next ATBTT update might be the most ambitious one yet

Hope there are some of you who are interested in making this sort of game, or just toying around with the blueprints. This project is probably quite a bit more niche than ATBTT, but I'm hoping there is still a market out there. I am putting the final touches on it now and will likely be submitting it to Epic in a couple of weeks. If this peaks your interest, please check out the dedicated forum thread here.

By the way, the Dungeon Crawler Toolkit uses free CC0 models by Quaternius (his Patreon can be found here https://www.patreon.com/quaternius). I made sure to ask for permission for them as a courtesy, but since it is CC0 anyone is free to use the models for anything, and there is no obligation to credit the creator (though it is still a nice thing to do, of course)

Last edited by Monokkel; 06-17-2020, 03:34 AM.

Discord

Comment

Knut, That is just awesome. Another great product. I will be checking this out for sure !! Congrats and hats off to you.

Comment

Heyho looks very cool, ofc I will check it out

1. Can you please quick tell me where exactly the exhaused bool is set when a unit ends his turn? I am still working on the wait function. (Initiative GameMode)

2. While making a copy of the end turn button I saw that this will lead to the "normal" turn manager even if there are override functions present in the initiative turn manager. Is that intended? Or should there be some kind of "getTurnMangerInState" or somthing before?

Btw. I have edited my cam rotation post with a clean up version of the mouse rotation.
                            thank you
                            Last edited by Infest1908; 06-17-2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Hi, just buyed the template and looks great!

Quick question: if I create a new level without grid it still lock on the game camera and also throw some errors ( Blueprint Runtime Error: "Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_FindGridManagerInState_GridManager". Blueprint: BP_TurnManager Function: Execute Ubergraph BP Turn Manager Graph: EventGraph Node: Branch).

How can I do so i can have some maps unrelated from the game system (for menu, character selection etc)?

Comment

• Working...
                                X