Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Where do I locate these last circled bits. I got all the rest added in but cant seem to find how to call the target grid terrain and hovered tile.

    And attached is how my current abilities blueprint looks
    Attached Files

    Comment


      Originally posted by AlbertFive View Post
      Where do I locate these last circled bits. I got all the rest added in but cant seem to find how to call the target grid terrain and hovered tile.

      And attached is how my current abilities blueprint looks
      Well, HoveredTile is a part of BP_AbilityBase already. Check show inherited variables in the variable list to find it. The GridTerrain map you have to create yourself in the grid manager. It is a map with integers as keys and BP_Tile_Terrain actor references as values.
      The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

      Comment


        I am having to adjust since it seems I was not doing some elements correct, I am trying to link the the grid terrain variable into the add at end but it says cannot connect to this type?
        Attached Files

        Comment


          Originally posted by AlbertFive View Post
          I am having to adjust since it seems I was not doing some elements correct, I am trying to link the the grid terrain variable into the add at end but it says cannot connect to this type?
          That means that they are not identical variables. How did you create the Add node here? Drag a pin out from the GridTerrain reference and then type Add. The context sensitive search should give you the correct node.
          The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

          Comment


            On the Grid terrain map elements it will not allow me to add tile types when when selecting them from the pull down list it remains as none.
            Attached Files

            Comment


              Originally posted by AlbertFive View Post
              On the Grid terrain map elements it will not allow me to add tile types when when selecting them from the pull down list it remains as none.
              Yeah, you cannot add references to specific actors (which are what references are) to a blueprint that is not itself instanced. No need for that, though. This loop adds all the tiles in the viewport during runtime instead.
              The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

              Comment


                I got everything added into the ability base terrain bp as shown in your sample code.

                but when I run I get this error.

                And this is my code

                Attached Files

                Comment


                  After doing some careful review it was the bp I was referencing.. here is video showing it working now..





                  I am now setting up widget inside tile. If I want to have a widget be hidden inside a tile unless the tile is clicked whats the best way to activate a wiget on a tile that is otherwise hidden until needed?

                  Comment


                    I am guessing the best way to do widget visibility on tile is create a new ability class and have in that ability have ability triggered on tile have it show widget for that tile?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by AlbertFive View Post
                      After doing some careful review it was the bp I was referencing.. here is video showing it working now..



                      I am now setting up widget inside tile. If I want to have a widget be hidden inside a tile unless the tile is clicked whats the best way to activate a wiget on a tile that is otherwise hidden until needed?
                      Originally posted by AlbertFive View Post
                      I am guessing the best way to do widget visibility on tile is create a new ability class and have in that ability have ability triggered on tile have it show widget for that tile?
                      Abilities are a good way to handle player input and displaying relevant in-game visualization such as 3D widgets etc. However, I'm not sure if you need a separate ability for this. Am I correct in guessing that you only want to show one such widget at a time? If so you can add this widget to the ability you have already created, you then place it over a tile when the tile is clicked and make it visible.
                      The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Monokkel View Post



                        Abilities are a good way to handle player input and displaying relevant in-game visualization such as 3D widgets etc. However, I'm not sure if you need a separate ability for this. Am I correct in guessing that you only want to show one such widget at a time? If so you can add this widget to the ability you have already created, you then place it over a tile when the tile is clicked and make it visible.
                        Each tile has its own widget such as forest tile would have its own widget for construction or cutting down tree's ect, flat flat would have its own widget for its tile type. but widget should only be visible when current tile selected.


                        Basically in the Parent class of the Terrain tile I added a widget class created event interact set visibility of widget.

                        now what would be the best way to activate that event from the abilites blueprint?


                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by AlbertFive; 04-08-2020, 02:13 AM.

                        Comment


                          Hey Monokkel,
                          first of all thank you for this wonderful toolkit!

                          I have been experiencing problems with the integrated object system(grid objects array, add object to grid function, remove object from grid function).
                          The fact that the array is made of FObjects Structures which contain an array of objects made me believe that the system is designed to allow multiple objects on one tile, the functions also seem to be made with the idea of multiple objects on one tile in mind. However, the add object to grid function seems to "limit" the objects to one object per tile. Also, the remove object from grid function does not seem to work at all. Maybe there is just something weird going on in my project but it would be very kind if you could have a look at it on your side.

                          I hope to hear from you soon.
                          Justus

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by AlbertFive View Post

                            Each tile has its own widget such as forest tile would have its own widget for construction or cutting down tree's ect, flat flat would have its own widget for its tile type. but widget should only be visible when current tile selected.


                            Basically in the Parent class of the Terrain tile I added a widget class created event interact set visibility of widget.

                            now what would be the best way to activate that event from the abilites blueprint?

                            You have access to references of the tile actors through the GridTerrain TMap, which you can use to call events. I can recommend reading up a bit and doing some tutorials on working with blueprints more generally. Many of your questions have to do with blueprint communications. It is something that takes some time to learn, but it is a requirement if you wish to master UE4. The official docs is a good place to start, but there are also many tutorials on blueprint communications if you search for it
                            The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by justus10000 View Post
                              Hey Monokkel,
                              first of all thank you for this wonderful toolkit!

                              I have been experiencing problems with the integrated object system(grid objects array, add object to grid function, remove object from grid function).
                              The fact that the array is made of FObjects Structures which contain an array of objects made me believe that the system is designed to allow multiple objects on one tile, the functions also seem to be made with the idea of multiple objects on one tile in mind. However, the add object to grid function seems to "limit" the objects to one object per tile. Also, the remove object from grid function does not seem to work at all. Maybe there is just something weird going on in my project but it would be very kind if you could have a look at it on your side.

                              I hope to hear from you soon.
                              Justus
                              Hey Justus, thanks for the kind words. The way you describe it is indeed how the object system is supposed to work, and the fact that you are only able to store a single object in a tile is a bug. I actually discovered this bug just a couple of days ago, but I'm uncertain how long it has been present. This bug seems to be caused by some change to the underlying UE4 code and how the engine handles manipulating arrays within struct. I have made the following work-around that should bring the GridObjects functionality back to how it worked when it was initially implemented (here is a pastebin):

                              The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                              Comment


                                Hi, and that for the reply on the Question section. The idea for "mouse grab and move" that i have, In the project that i am working on i need to be able to grab static meshes and move it where i want on the the map. I will have table and chairs and other stuff that the player can move around. Maybe pressing shift and the pointer turns into a hand so one can grab the movable object in the scene.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X