[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mono

1. Any advice on modifying the move range such that it's a floating point value, without touching the base classes? Currently Move is an integer, however I'd like to try 1.5 move per AP. There doesn't seem to be a clean way to do this without mucking about BP_Ability. Perhaps a GetMoveTiles function we can override?

2. Any updates on the multiplayer issue above? I am still using entirely replicated unit. It works OK, although there are definitely issues still, such as client unable to press tab to cycle units or see movement paths.

Thanks

My solution for 1. is to copy/paste BP_Ability_Sprint and make my own sprint variant. I added a moveTilesPerAP and replaced the calculation of possibleMove.

This worked out for me. Ideally I could have extended BP_Sprint, but at least I didn't have to modify BP_Ability!
    Last edited by mflux; 03-06-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mflux View Post
      Hi Mono

1. Any advice on modifying the move range such that it's a floating point value, without touching the base classes? Currently Move is an integer, however I'd like to try 1.5 move per AP. There doesn't seem to be a clean way to do this without mucking about BP_Ability. Perhaps a GetMoveTiles function we can override?

My solution for 1. is to copy/paste BP_Ability_Sprint and make my own sprint variant. I added a moveTilesPerAP and replaced the calculation of possibleMove.

This worked out for me. Ideally I could have extended BP_Sprint, but at least I didn't have to modify BP_Ability!
      Great that you found a solution. I would have done something similar. The various abilities (other than BP_Ability and BP_AbilityBase themselves) are intended mostly as examples. I would generally recommend not to extend these anyway and either create new BP_Ability or BP_AbilityBase child actors or duplicate and modify one of the example abilities (like you did). I find it best not to create a taller class hierarchy than what is necessary.

Originally posted by mflux View Post
      2. Any updates on the multiplayer issue above? I am still using entirely replicated unit. It works OK, although there are definitely issues still, such as client unable to press tab to cycle units or see movement paths.

Thanks
      The core of the problem has eluded me so far, but I have not been able to spend that much time on it yet. I will solve it, though. It does not seem to affect the toolkit a couple of versions ago, so it is likely due to some small quirk introduced in a recent update.
      Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

Hey Monokkel I am using your hybrid system and trying to get it to work with advanced locomotion system v4 I have gotten it work kind of is it ok if I Send you an example project? to see if there is a better way to do it I currently had to replace the camera system with a basic one instead and it breaks combat.

Comment

Originally posted by codeyhanson View Post
          Hey Monokkel I am using your hybrid system and trying to get it to work with advanced locomotion system v4 I have gotten it work kind of is it ok if I Send you an example project? to see if there is a better way to do it I currently had to replace the camera system with a basic one instead and it breaks combat.
          Hi codeyhanson, perhaps you could describe it a bit more before having to resort to me looking through the project, which can be quite time consuming. How does it break combat, and what are the specific modifications you have made?

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post

Hi codeyhanson, perhaps you could describe it a bit more before having to resort to me looking through the project, which can be quite time consuming. How does it break combat, and what are the specific modifications you have made?
            I changed the default actor to a different third person rig and made the trigger switch actor possession combat starts but the camera does not switch to the combat view.

Click image for larger version  Name:	switch.PNG Views:	0 Size:	173.4 KB ID:	1730955
            Last edited by codeyhanson; 03-10-2020, 02:26 AM.

Comment

I changed the default actor to a different third person rig and made the trigger switch actor possession combat starts but the camera does not switch to the combat view.

Click image for larger version Name:	switch.PNG Views:	0 Size:	173.4 KB ID:	1730955
              It might be that the OverlappingActor is not passed correctly if it is a child actor. If you use break points in the graph pictured, which of these nodes are activated during gameplay?

Discord

Comment

It might be that the OverlappingActor is not passed correctly if it is a child actor. If you use break points in the graph pictured, which of these nodes are activated during gameplay?
                Hey the break point did help me find something and might be onto a solution. Will post back here if I do find one for others trying to use the advanced locomotion system v4. I seen that the default player you have is actually the camera and not the hybrid unit and this has helped. If I am unable to get this to work will post the error logs that I get. Thank you.

Comment

Hey the break point did help me find something and might be onto a solution. Will post back here if I do find one for others trying to use the advanced locomotion system v4. I seen that the default player you have is actually the camera and not the hybrid unit and this has helped. If I am unable to get this to work will post the error logs that I get. Thank you.
                  Ok, good to hear that you're on the right track. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Discord

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	wall-e-bug.jpg Views:	0 Size:	413.1 KB ID:	1732488

I found a bug. The tile edges near Wall_E is incorrect. It's easy to reproduce. Just drag a grid manager into an empty level. Increase the grid size. Place 2 Wall_E like the picture above. Click Pregenerate Gameplay Grids and Display Tile Edges. You should be able to see the incorrect tile edges. It's not a display problem. Units can wall through this wall.
                    Last edited by UFO幽灵战舰; 03-13-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Monokkel,

What would be the most efficient way to disable object translucency when in the hybrid 3rd person camera? I don't want objects to be translucent while in that mode, but once the player gets into combat, then I would like the translucency of objects to follow the rules established based on camera position and height. As BP_GridCamera_Hybrid is a child of BP_GridCamera, it seems like I have to edit both in order to make that happen (unless I'm missing something in BP_GridCamera_Hybrid).

Thanks for creating and supporting such an awesome toolkit.
                      Jason
                      Last edited by earlocust; 03-25-2020, 06:44 PM. Reason: Updated descriptive information.

Comment

Originally posted by UFO幽灵战舰 View Post
                        Click image for larger version Name:	wall-e-bug.jpg Views:	0 Size:	413.1 KB ID:	1732488

I found a bug. The tile edges near Wall_E is incorrect. It's easy to reproduce. Just drag a grid manager into an empty level. Increase the grid size. Place 2 Wall_E like the picture above. Click Pregenerate Gameplay Grids and Display Tile Edges. You should be able to see the incorrect tile edges. It's not a display problem. Units can wall through this wall.
                        Hmm, that is odd. I'm not able to replicate the issue on my machine. Are you using UE4.24 with a fresh ATBTT project, or are you using an older version?

Discord

Comment

Hmm, that is odd. I'm not able to replicate the issue on my machine. Are you using UE4.24 with a fresh ATBTT project, or are you using an older version?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wall-e-bug2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1732770

Well, I made a mistake. The following step should be able to reproduce the bug.
                          1. Drag a grid manager into an empty level.
                          2. Enable Pregenerate Gameplay Grids and Display Tile Edges.
                          3. place a Wall_E into the level
                          4. Disable Pregenerate Gameplay Grids
                          5. Enable Pregenerate Gameplay Grids

I'm using UE4.24.3 with a fresh ATBTT project.

And there is another problem. Tile edges near a wall is asymmetric .

Name:	tile-edge-.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1732771

Comment

Originally posted by UFO幽灵战舰 View Post

Name:	wall-e-bug2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1732770

Well, I made a mistake. The following step should be able to reproduce the bug.
                            1. Drag a grid manager into an empty level.
                            2. Enable Pregenerate Gameplay Grids and Display Tile Edges.
                            3. place a Wall_E into the level
                            4. Disable Pregenerate Gameplay Grids
                            5. Enable Pregenerate Gameplay Grids

I'm using UE4.24.3 with a fresh ATBTT project.

And there is another problem. Tile edges near a wall is asymmetric .

Name:	tile-edge-.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1732771
                            Thank you for the detailed repro steps, UFO. Seems like I made a minor mistake in a recent update that causes this inconsistent issue. The reason is that the BaseEdges of BP_GridManager are not entirely consistent before and after the GenerateGameplayGrids, which results in inconsistent results for BP_GA_Tile, which looks at this array when generating its edges. I don't think these issues will exist in a packaged project, but they can appear if you switch back and forth between pregenerated grids. This minor change is needed to fix that (fixed version on the right):

There is a second issue here with the inconsistent corner blocking. This is again due to a sloppy oversight on my end in a recent update. The walls need to be set up so that they block edges between the tiles passing through this tile's corner. To fix this, change all the diagonal edges for the thin, blue wall actors to '-1' instead og '0', like so (fixed version on the right):

Both of these issues are caused by some embarrassingly sloppy mistakes on my end, so sorry about that, and thanks for pointing them out.

Discord

Comment

mflux: Thought I should let you know that I am still working on the multiplayer issue. I am rarely able to reproduce the issue, which is frustrating my progress. If you have a project where it consistently happens, could you send it over (by e-mail to knuteiliv@gmail.com). That would help me a lot in figuring this out.

I have solved a couple of peripheral issues if you're interested.

Adding a validity check in the level blueprint of the Multiplayer map solved the error message from running a dedicated server:

Also, selecting all units and tiles in your map and clicking the PlaceActorAtAnchor button (found in these actors' defaults) will solve some issues of units and tiles being centered incorrectly on map load.

Discord

Comment

Hey All,

I'm wondering what would be the easiest way to run level streaming with this.

My goal is to have a level with the grid manager and 2-3 rooms spawn the subgrid with AI/items inside, activated by the door (as a quasi fog of war). I can easily get the sub grids and items to spawn via a level stream, but I am having trouble having the streamed level smoothly integrate with the persistent level.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X