No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased today and my new install is the same as shown in mills screen shoot.

Comment

Well this is very strange indeed. It seems like Epic have taken down the new version and uploaded an old version of the toolkit! I will notify them at once and it will hopefully get sorted out soon. I apologize for not realizing this sooner.

In other news I've just made the mother of all tutorial videos. Nearly three hours of me droning on about every single blueprint graph in the toolkit. I will be adding separate links to separate parts of the video in the near future so that it will be easier to look up the specific blueprint you want to know more about. I don't expect anyone to sit through all of it in one go, but if you watch it one bit of a time you will hopefully get a much better understanding of how the toolkit works. Please let me know if anything in the video is unclear and I will try to remedy that by adding annotations.

Last edited by Monokkel; 06-05-2015, 04:20 AM.
      Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

That's good to know that's what the problem is. Hopefully they can get it sorted out soon. Thanks again!

Comment

Hopefully ill get access to the current version for the upcoming long weekend.

Comment

@mills and knocks: Yeah, I've sent it to all the different support mails, so lets hope they will fix it quick this time. They have previously taken quite a long time before responding to my requests, though, so chances are it won't be fixed this weekend, which sucks because a lot of users have bought it because of the sale. On the bright side, the old version that is currently uploaded is the version that is probably the easiest to read abd understand for beginners, as almost all the important blueprint functionality is contained within BP_GridManager. Anything you learn from playing around with or modifying the old version should be easy to apply to the new version when it is reuploaded. Still, I really hope they fix this soon.

Discord

Comment

I got a reply from Epic yesterday that they are working on reuploading the newer version. This hopefully means that it will be uploaded on monday, right after the sale has ended. I'll let people know as soon as the new version is up.

Discord

Comment

The newest version is up again! I recommend removing the toolkit from the vault and downloading it anew to make sure it's up to date.

Discord

Comment

Hey man, Having not dived into Networking at all; Would it be simple to convert the package into Multiplayer? I'm assuming simply changing the AI calls to a duplicate of Player should do the control-side of things; Right?
                  Last edited by KITATUS; 06-08-2015, 06:27 PM.
                  KITATUS
                  "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

@KitakusStudios: I don't know much when it comes to networking either, I'm afraid. I imagine turn based games would be some of the simpler to make work in multiplayer, though, since exact timing isn't that important and only a few things need to be replicated. You're on the right track when it comes to implementing multiple players by calling a duplicate player controller. That would be the main change, but some blueprints would also have to be adapted slightly. For instance, checking visibility in ATBTT_PlayerController should be set to flexibly look for pawns of whatever faction is opposing the current pawn. I haven't tried it myself yet, though, so there might be unforseen complications.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                      @KitakusStudios: I don't know much when it comes to networking either, I'm afraid. I imagine turn based games would be some of the simpler to make work in multiplayer, though, since exact timing isn't that important and only a few things need to be replicated. You're on the right track when it comes to implementing multiple players by calling a duplicate player controller. That would be the main change, but some blueprints would also have to be adapted slightly. For instance, checking visibility in ATBTT_PlayerController should be set to flexibly look for pawns of whatever faction is opposing the current pawn. I haven't tried it myself yet, though, so there might be unforseen complications.
                      Well I'll experiment over the next few days as I'll need it for my project and I'll send over the "Multiplayer" migration guide if you'd like :>

By the way, I'm not sure if I've done so already, So I'll thank-you for this package!

I've never seen an asset so cleanly packaged up with the support you provide; Before using your asset, I felt I knew all I could know about Blueprints but even using your asset as a tool to better my learning of Blueprints, I've learnt a tonne.

It's been a real treat and I look forward to future updates / new projects of yours!

So.. Thanks!
                      KITATUS

Comment

I bought this last week (coincidentally the day right before it went on sale, but not too big a deal since I used the $30 credit from Epic that I had been sitting on for ages to cover the bulk of it...), and have been tinkering with it quite a bit, and so far it works pretty well, but I am noticing a rather odd bug that crops up when setting tile costs to higher than 1 for certain circumstances.

Basically, an AI will move to a location and just stop right next to a space that costs more than 1 to enter, and just stop there and never end its turn.

After some tinkering, I've figured out an easy way to reproduce this bug is to setup a straight line of 7 tiles(like pictured below), with the cost for all but the center tile set to 1 like normal(Grass), but setting the center tile to a cost of 2(Water Hazard). Next, place a Player Pawn at one end, and the Enemy Pawn at the other, and reduce their movement to 3. This puts them within 3 movement spaces of the Water Hazard tile, but costs 4 to actually move into it, and results in the AI moving as close as the Cost will allow, but he never gives up his turn. If however you change the Water tile back to a default cost of 1, the AI will move into it and end its turn without a problem.

I tried digging through the Blueprints to figure out how to possibly fix it(and skimmed the thread real fast to see if anyone else had experienced this problem), but so far I can't make heads or tails of it...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Is the bug about the player being able to be on the same tile as the enemy exclusive to 4.8 or does that happen in other versions too? Is there an easy fix? :/
                          KITATUS

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
                            Well I'll experiment over the next few days as I'll need it for my project and I'll send over the "Multiplayer" migration guide if you'd like :>

By the way, I'm not sure if I've done so already, So I'll thank-you for this package!

I've never seen an asset so cleanly packaged up with the support you provide; Before using your asset, I felt I knew all I could know about Blueprints but even using your asset as a tool to better my learning of Blueprints, I've learnt a tonne.

It's been a real treat and I look forward to future updates / new projects of yours!

So.. Thanks!
                            Hey, thanks a lot! I'm basically just so jazzed people are using my toolkit that providing support is actually great fun I've spent lots of time trying to make stuff as intuitive as possible for other people, and that has ended up making the toolkit way easier to work with and modify for my own part as well. When I eventually get around to making my own turn based strategy game I'm sure I'll have a lot easier time making it than if I had never made my turn based strategy system into a marketplace toolkit.

A copy of the multiplayer migration guide would be awesome I'm happy to hear even a seasoned blueprinter as yourself is able to learn a thing or two from the toolkit. I'm basically highly specialized when it comes to blueprints, and am still completely blank on most aspects of blueprints that don't have to do with manipulating arrays, and I'll be sure to check out your guides when the need arises.

Originally posted by Shenku View Post
                            I bought this last week (coincidentally the day right before it went on sale, but not too big a deal since I used the $30 credit from Epic that I had been sitting on for ages to cover the bulk of it...), and have been tinkering with it quite a bit, and so far it works pretty well, but I am noticing a rather odd bug that crops up when setting tile costs to higher than 1 for certain circumstances.

Basically, an AI will move to a location and just stop right next to a space that costs more than 1 to enter, and just stop there and never end its turn.

After some tinkering, I've figured out an easy way to reproduce this bug is to setup a straight line of 7 tiles(like pictured below), with the cost for all but the center tile set to 1 like normal(Grass), but setting the center tile to a cost of 2(Water Hazard). Next, place a Player Pawn at one end, and the Enemy Pawn at the other, and reduce their movement to 3. This puts them within 3 movement spaces of the Water Hazard tile, but costs 4 to actually move into it, and results in the AI moving as close as the Cost will allow, but he never gives up his turn. If however you change the Water tile back to a default cost of 1, the AI will move into it and end its turn without a problem.

I tried digging through the Blueprints to figure out how to possibly fix it(and skimmed the thread real fast to see if anyone else had experienced this problem), but so far I can't make heads or tails of it...
                            Hi Shenku,

thanks for informing this issue. This is a pretty serious bug that is game breaking when it occurs, and I will upload a fix soon. 4.8 is right around the corner, and I'll upload a minor bug fix and compatibility patch when it is up. I have a larger feature update coming fairly soon as well, but work is extremely busy these days, so that won't be a for a few weeks.

Until 4.8 is out and I'll add the update, here is why the bug occurs and how you solve it:

ATBTT_AI_Controller was not taking difficult terrain into consideration when determining whether or not a pawn can reach a target. Because of this the AI thinks it can reach a target when it cannot. When it then tries to move but cannot because of the difficult terrain it ends its movement and checks again if it is able to reach the target and is stuck in an endless loop. You need to make two changes in the event graph of ATBTT_AI_Controller to remedy this.

First is the brach that comes right after the Find Path to Index function. Instead of checking the length of the path aray (which does not take difficult terrain into account) replace it with this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	UM6lAMO.png
Views:	1
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1079617

Then you must insert a new branch statement after the branch that the True exec in the screenshot above leads to. This will check if the target of the AI pawn's move is the same as the current index of the pawn (this happens if it has a move that is lower than the movement cost of the first index in its path). If the indexes are the same, end the unit's turn. Like this (the graphs depicted in the two images in this thread are right next to each other):

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbVHxLv.png
Views:	1
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	1079618

These changes should hopefully resolve all your issues. Please let me know if you encounter any new problems and I will try to have them resolved by the next update.

Edit:

Is the bug about the player being able to be on the same tile as the enemy exclusive to 4.8 or does that happen in other versions too? Is there an easy fix? :/
                            Which bug is that exactly? When does it happen and how do you replicate it?

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                              Hey, thanks a lot! I'm basically just so jazzed people are using my toolkit that providing support is actually great fun I've spent lots of time trying to make stuff as intuitive as possible for other people, and that has ended up making the toolkit way easier to work with and modify for my own part as well. When I eventually get around to making my own turn based strategy game I'm sure I'll have a lot easier time making it than if I had never made my turn based strategy system into a marketplace toolkit.

A copy of the multiplayer migration guide would be awesome I'm happy to hear even a seasoned blueprinter as yourself is able to learn a thing or two from the toolkit. I'm basically highly specialized when it comes to blueprints, and am still completely blank on most aspects of blueprints that don't have to do with manipulating arrays, and I'll be sure to check out your guides when the need arises.

Hi Shenku,

thanks for informing this issue. This is a pretty serious bug that is game breaking when it occurs, and I will upload a fix soon. 4.8 is right around the corner, and I'll upload a minor bug fix and compatibility patch when it is up. I have a larger feature update coming fairly soon as well, but work is extremely busy these days, so that won't be a for a few weeks.

Until 4.8 is out and I'll add the update, here is why the bug occurs and how you solve it:

ATBTT_AI_Controller was not taking difficult terrain into consideration when determining whether or not a pawn can reach a target. Because of this the AI thinks it can reach a target when it cannot. When it then tries to move but cannot because of the difficult terrain it ends its movement and checks again if it is able to reach the target and is stuck in an endless loop. You need to make two changes in the event graph of ATBTT_AI_Controller to remedy this.

First is the brach that comes right after the Find Path to Index function. Instead of checking the length of the path aray (which does not take difficult terrain into account) replace it with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42962[/ATTACH]

Then you must insert a new branch statement after the branch that the True exec in the screenshot above leads to. This will check if the target of the AI pawn's move is the same as the current index of the pawn (this happens if it has a move that is lower than the movement cost of the first index in its path). If the indexes are the same, end the unit's turn. Like this (the graphs depicted in the two images in this thread are right next to each other):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42963[/ATTACH]

These changes should hopefully resolve all your issues. Please let me know if you encounter any new problems and I will try to have them resolved by the next update.

Edit:

Which bug is that exactly? When does it happen and how do you replicate it?
                              Basically, Using the 4.8 migration, The player can move onto the same tile as the enemy. I'm assuming the code for this would either be in the GridManager or Unit_Parent; Right?
                              KITATUS

Comment

Basically, Using the 4.8 migration, The player can move onto the same tile as the enemy. I'm assuming the code for this would either be in the GridManager or Unit_Parent; Right?
                                Everything seems to be working perfectly on my end. How is the toolkit set up and what do you do to make this error occur? Is it every time you have a player pawn selected and click an enemy pawn within move range, for instance?

Discord

Comment

Working...
                                X