[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EagleEyeGamma View Post
    Yes I want to make sure its only repeatable if you attack new units that are super effective, and should you attack the same unit twice it ends your turn. The movement factors into re-positioning onto panels I've made that change the element type of a character. However it should stop if its not effective or does normal damage to a target that isn't super effective.
    Since your abilities seem to work a bit differently to the default abilities I would recommend replacing some of the unneeded stuff instead of working around it. No need to reduce the AP of the unit and then increase it again if the attack is super effective. That makes things a bit messy. Rather, remove the default functions where you pay an AP cost. Rather, reduce AP only in the situations where you want to; namely when you make a normal attack or attack a unit that has already been attacked. That should be cleaner and should make it easier to work with.
    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

Okay also I got this as an error when i try to build any idea why this is happening?

PackagingResults: Error: Expected an include at the top of the header: '#include "DamageModifiers.generated.h"'

Comment

Originally posted by EagleEyeGamma View Post
        Okay also I got this as an error when i try to build any idea why this is happening?

PackagingResults: Error: Expected an include at the top of the header: '#include "DamageModifiers.generated.h"'
        That's weird. You shouldn't get any issues with a header file if you're working in blueprints. DamageModifiers is your custom variable, right? Are you using C++ for anything or are you attempting to nativize or somethine like that?

Discord

Comment

Heya Monokkel, I have been working on switching out the ThirdPersonCharacter with my own MannequinCharacter in the Hybrid folder. I have tried it several different ways and can't get it to work. Any chance you could help me out with the steps necessary? It could be helpful to others in the future. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by McNuggets87 View Post
            Heya Monokkel, I have been working on switching out the ThirdPersonCharacter with my own MannequinCharacter in the Hybrid folder. I have tried it several different ways and can't get it to work. Any chance you could help me out with the steps necessary? It could be helpful to others in the future. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Thanks,
            Hey McNuggets. I'd be happy , but I need some more info. What have you tried and have you gotten any of it working or nothing at all?

Discord

Comment

hi knut

I haven't been here for a few months, and I hope all is well with you.

I fire up the new build And I noticed that the hybird example is missing from the experimental folder, did you move it to another place? or did you have some issues and just delete it?

thanks in advance

glade to be back

leo

Comment

Originally posted by leo bar View Post
                hi knut

I haven't been here for a few months, and I hope all is well with you.

I fire up the new build And I noticed that the hybird example is missing from the experimental folder, did you move it to another place? or did you have some issues and just delete it?

thanks in advance

glade to be back

leo
                I downloaded the newest version from the launcher now and it has the hybrid example. It is in Maps/Experimental/Hybrid. Try redownloading the toolkit. You should have it.

Discord

Comment

Hi Mono,
                  Not sure if I am in the correct Thread.
                  What a beautiful written engine, well done.
                  Just a quick question: I am trying to find somewhere in these threads, I am sorry if it has already been discussed, being able to stack units on top of each other.
                  would I need to add a array for the add and also use mouse right to be able to select the tile or am I still able to use mouse left.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRussell View Post
                    Hi Mono,
                    Not sure if I am in the correct Thread.
                    What a beautiful written engine, well done.
                    Just a quick question: I am trying to find somewhere in these threads, I am sorry if it has already been discussed, being able to stack units on top of each other.
                    would I need to add a array for the add and also use mouse right to be able to select the tile or am I still able to use mouse left.
                    Thanks for the kind words, Matt! For your question it depends on what you mean. The toolkit allows for multi-level grids, so you can have multiple units on overlapping tiles. For multiple units in the same tile it can be more or less tricky depending on what you want. If you want something like Civ, where each unit has multiple skeletal meshes but still constitute one unit as far as game logic is concerned, that is not terribly difficult. If you want multiple separate units on the same tile that can be selected separately and split you will need to do some significant tinkering. You would want to replace the GridUnits TMap with a new map that contains nested arrays or sets of units and would need to rewrite major parts of all abilities, AI and tile selection nodes to recognize this appropriately. Which of these is it?

Discord

Comment

hi knut

i saw on trello that you made some fix for the nativization, is that mean that we can nativize the grid manager blueprint?

Comment

Good Morning Monokkel, thank you for replying to my question. without drawing a detail which I can if it makes to easier to understand, unit 1 for example moves to tile index 1, end turn, unit 2 moves to tile index 1 which creates a overlap event and opens a widget for the player to add both units if need be or leave them as single units only showing one unit, if they are both added it would create a static mesh of showing a platoon style for example but as only one unit, there value would be added together, eventually I am aiming to add cinematic battle sequences for battles, but for the interim and ease battles will take place using you implemented system.
                        Hopefully this makes sense, I guess civilization, well the old one I use to play, you use to be able to stack units on top of each other and they use to fight as a single unit from the same tile per turn from memory, I am more chasing 2 units at the same time from the same tile to fight as a whole but without the use of single units from the one tile, but damage and hits will be taken from each unit.

Comment

hi knut

i saw on trello that you made some fix for the nativization, is that mean that we can nativize the grid manager blueprint?
                          Hey leo! If all goes well then yes. On my internal build inclusive nativization of the toolkit seems to mostly work. A remaining hurdle is that native blueprints do not seem to allow custom trace channels defined in the config files, which makes some of the toolkit features less flexible. Hope I can find some workaround for this. The performance improvement is quite good, though.

Good Morning Monokkel, thank you for replying to my question. without drawing a detail which I can if it makes to easier to understand, unit 1 for example moves to tile index 1, end turn, unit 2 moves to tile index 1 which creates a overlap event and opens a widget for the player to add both units if need be or leave them as single units only showing one unit, if they are both added it would create a static mesh of showing a platoon style for example but as only one unit, there value would be added together, eventually I am aiming to add cinematic battle sequences for battles, but for the interim and ease battles will take place using you implemented system.
                          Hopefully this makes sense, I guess civilization, well the old one I use to play, you use to be able to stack units on top of each other and they use to fight as a single unit from the same tile per turn from memory, I am more chasing 2 units at the same time from the same tile to fight as a whole but without the use of single units from the one tile, but damage and hits will be taken from each unit.
                          Good evening, Matt. From what you're describing I think you can avoid having to change the structure of the GridUnits TMap. In the case where you're just seeing one unit (but the other unit is still there, hidden), perhaps you can add the hidden unit to an array in the visible unit and store it in this way. For the platoon you could do something similar. Perhaps have a platoon type unit, which also holds an array of unit references. When adding or removing a unit from the platoon you could call a function to add or remove that unit's stats from the platoon's stats.

Discord

Comment

hi knut

this is great news!! this and the Convert expensive functions to cpp that you are working on will make a Significant addition to this allready awesome toolkit.I am impressed

cheers

leo

Comment

Beautiful, just what I was thinking. thank you in a lot of ways, its great that you devote your busy time to answering questions and helping us out.
                              I will give that a shot.
                              Thank you once again Monokkel.

Comment

hi knut

this is great news!! this and the Convert expensive functions to cpp that you are working on will make a Significant addition to this allready awesome toolkit.I am impressed

cheers

leo
                                Glad you're excited This is something I've wanted to get working for a long time, so I'm happy that I finally cracked it. This is something I've worked on sporadically, but Unreal Engine specific issues have held me back. The last UE4 update finally seemed to fix the most serious problems and after some testing I only needed to make one minor change to get inclusive nativization to work.

If you want to fix it yourself before the next update, all you have to do is to change the SpawnTiles event in BP_Ability_EnemyDisplay (going from memory on the names here) so that the array of vectors input is not passed by reference. That is enough for packaging to work, but note that there might still be many issues with the packaged project (custom trace channels not working being one of them).

Beautiful, just what I was thinking. thank you in a lot of ways, its great that you devote your busy time to answering questions and helping us out.
                                I will give that a shot.
                                Thank you once again Monokkel.

Happy to help! Note that you will need to run a custom pathfinding type in the ability you're using for movement to allow units to enter the tiles of other (friendly) units. Find the SearchAndAddAdjacentTilesCustom1 function in BP_GridManager and see where it is implemented. In this function you can see the chain of branches that potential movement tiles are funneled through to see if they should be added to the reachable tiles. At the end you can see that tiles are not added if they contain a unit. Make the following change to fix this:

After this you must modify the move ability you are using for your units so that they use this pathfinding type and when clicking a friendly unit the unit should move to the tile of that unit and execute your custom code. Take a look at EventServerInteract in BP_Ability_MoveAttack for an example of how to handle different outcomes depending on whether a clicked tile is occupied or not.

Discord

Comment

Working...
                                X