Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leo bar View Post
    hi knut
    sorry for the late input (just came back home).
    In my project I am using both method. more of the x com style method, but in some phases I use something like a chess turn.

anyway I just looked at your new update and again it is awesome!! every time you are making this tool so much more Versatile And the freedom to create new abilities in a much easier way which is great !! (you have some minor error in the experimental folder - the BP_GA_Trap -QueueAction and in the path line high, but there are easy fix).

my wife hate you

cheers

leo
    Thanks for letting me know about the errors, Leo, and give my apologies to the wife :P
    The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
      The developers who choose to follow this thread might of course not be a representative sample, but I'd still like to know what sort of initiative system each of you are using.
      Yeah, much like you said it's exactly the faction-based type that lets you switch units. My vote for default goes to that obviously. And like some others have been posting, in my case I'm also looking into switching from the turn-based, grid movement to real-time 3rd person controls once combat is over; though it is understandable if you wont go that specific into these presets.

I haven't been dabbling much into ATBTT lately cause I've been learning Blender to overhaul my 3d modeling pipeline, jumping from Max&Maya. Looking forward to seeing the results of this refactoring you speak of! You will hear more from this fopdoodle as soon as Blender releases me
      Artstation | 3D Artist | Krakow

Comment

hi there I bought this system and I am having a strange issue.. the grid just suddenly cuts off in a line though the grid is actually much bigger then the area I am at
        https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...SgXkpxVDcV.mp4

Comment

Originally posted by Justo View Post

Yeah, much like you said it's exactly the faction-based type that lets you switch units. My vote for default goes to that obviously. And like some others have been posting, in my case I'm also looking into switching from the turn-based, grid movement to real-time 3rd person controls once combat is over; though it is understandable if you wont go that specific into these presets.

I haven't been dabbling much into ATBTT lately cause I've been learning Blender to overhaul my 3d modeling pipeline, jumping from Max&Maya. Looking forward to seeing the results of this refactoring you speak of! You will hear more from this fopdoodle as soon as Blender releases me
          Good to know! I'm pretty much decided to have a faction turn based initiative system as the default.

Originally posted by micabreen View Post
          hi there I bought this system and I am having a strange issue.. the grid just suddenly cuts off in a line though the grid is actually much bigger then the area I am at
          https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...SgXkpxVDcV.mp4
          Well, that is not supposed to happen. If you give me the precise steps to reproduce the issue I'll look into it when I'm back home tomorrow..

Comment

well I used a 100X100 grid placed it out with a landscape movement works until that point I can't really tell you more of a step by step because I literally only put the grid out and worked on landscape thought all was well till I made it to that point .. sorry I can't help more . I think it may be number of tiles issue because trying a 200X 200 grid gives infinite loop error

Comment

I recently purchsed your product and have been really enjoying going through the tutorial, I have been able to find all of my answers in this way. The only thing I cant find is a way to intergrate other products into the toolkit. I have the mce ans wanted to use it in conjunction with the toolkit but, cant seem to get my combat manager to work due the way damage is handled. Just wondering if this is something you coild help me out with?

Comment

Hey Knut - we're facing some issues with deactivating ATBTT - for some reasons there are unit's missing in the initiative bar and the grid is displayed sometimes although we disabled ATBTT. Now we're wondering wether you could have a look on the way we disable ATBTT - as you mentioned before we're clearing the GridUnits array but maybe we're doing something wrong here?
                We're using this event from within the Game Mode:
                https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/-g-s9i5-/

This is called from within BP_Unit to hide the ability markers etc.
                https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/ljqq7-qj/

This event is used for the reactivation when a combat starts:
                https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/_fd9k04s/
                Last edited by Dan.Ott; 07-08-2019, 05:46 AM.

Comment

well I used a 100X100 grid placed it out with a landscape movement works until that point I can't really tell you more of a step by step because I literally only put the grid out and worked on landscape thought all was well till I made it to that point .. sorry I can't help more . I think it may be number of tiles issue because trying a 200X 200 grid gives infinite loop error
                  I've tried to reproduce your issue without success (100*100 grid, a hilly landscape covering all of it and heightmap set to true). I think you will have to give me the step-by-step instruction for reproducing the issue. Where is the grid manager placed? What variables have you modified?

200*200 will indeed give you an infinite loop error due to the amount of stuff happening at the first frame to generate the terrain. You can bypass this by upping the loop iteration limit in Unreal Engine. It is also possible to split the loop iterations over multiple ticks (which requires some work), or converting the slowest functions to C++. I'm curious what game you're making that requires such a huge map, though. 200*200 is an order of magnitude more tiles than the largest Civ and XCOM maps.

Originally posted by QuixoticTheKid View Post
                  I recently purchsed your product and have been really enjoying going through the tutorial, I have been able to find all of my answers in this way. The only thing I cant find is a way to intergrate other products into the toolkit. I have the mce ans wanted to use it in conjunction with the toolkit but, cant seem to get my combat manager to work due the way damage is handled. Just wondering if this is something you coild help me out with?
                  I don't know anything about mce, but I could try to answer more generically. I'll need to know a bit more about the specifics of your problems, though. I'm assuming mce stores damage somewhere. Getting it from there is probably possible though standard blueprint communication techniques. After that you should simply need to replace any reference to damage in the ability you are modifying with this other damage variable.

Originally posted by Dan.Ott View Post
                  Hey Knut - we're facing some issues with deactivating ATBTT - for some reasons there are unit's missing in the initiative bar and the grid is displayed sometimes although we disabled ATBTT. Now we're wondering wether you could have a look on the way we disable ATBTT - as you mentioned before we're clearing the GridUnits array but maybe we're doing something wrong here?
                  We're using this event from within the Game Mode:
                  https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/-g-s9i5-/

This is called from within BP_Unit to hide the ability markers etc.
                  https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/ljqq7-qj/

This event is used for the reactivation when a combat starts:
                  https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/_fd9k04s/
                  Hmm, I'm a bit confused by parts of your setup, and it is hard to understand exactly what is not working here. I'll try my own hand at this soon and will report back to you. Might take me a couple of days, though.

Comment

Dan.Ott: Ok, I've cooked up a solution that should give you a good starting point.

I've added the following code to the player controller (just as an example).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	1640145

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1640146

The "O" event disables turn based combat by calling a new event in the Turn Manager. This event clears the active unit, disables the active ability and initializes the action queue so that the ability deactivation is actually shown to the player. I also hide the active actor marker.

The "K" event simply shifts the location of all actors a couple of tiles to the side. Just a stand-in for your free movement system.

The "L" event clears grid unit and adds all the units back to the grid based on their current locations, making sure to update their GridIndex variable in the same fashion. Then I begin the turn of the first unit in initiative and show the active actor marker again.

One last thing: The DeactivateAbility interface function in the player controller by default activates the BP_AbilityBase_Idle when an ability is deactivated. You will have to disconnect this particular functionality (just disconnect ActivateAbility at the end of the graph). This is what causes the marker to sporadically appear even after you've deactivated the active unit. If you still need this functionality during turn based combat add a branch instead of disconnecting it entirely and set it based on a player controller variable you set to true or false as you enable/disable turn based combat.

Hope this gives you a good starting point.

Here are the pastebins for the Player Controller and Turn Manager

Comment

Monokkel wow! Thanks so much for your effort and the in-depth information! This seems to be the perfect starting point for us to continue thanks Knut! : )

Comment

Monokkel I am trying to make a large size turn based boardgame of sorts but there is def something amiss with grid manager. I tried deleted landscape and only using a 100X100 grid. same thing happens after I moved like 20 times. though there is much actual grid left on the map ther is a solid line made from the passable blue tiles but cannot move further past that area
                        I would be happy to share the project with you it is only proto type nothing even added except the tile toolkit.. I have not modified any bp's or anything if you could message me your email I will share with you .. I really want to use this for my project I think it will work great but gotta figure out what causes this sudden stop in tile access for sure maybe you have not tested fully with 100x100
                        to reproduce you could make a 100x100 grid and just keep moving out in a certain direction and you will end up at a point you cannot move further though the grid is still more room

Comment

Hey - regarding the infinite loop error - We faced that problem a couple of weeks ago - you can increase the Maximum Loop Iteration count via Project Settings > Engine - General Settings. That should help to get bigger sized grids calculated : )

Comment

Originally posted by Dan.Ott View Post
                            Monokkel wow! Thanks so much for your effort and the in-depth information! This seems to be the perfect starting point for us to continue thanks Knut! : )
                            Happy to help

Monokkel I am trying to make a large size turn based boardgame of sorts but there is def something amiss with grid manager. I tried deleted landscape and only using a 100X100 grid. same thing happens after I moved like 20 times. though there is much actual grid left on the map ther is a solid line made from the passable blue tiles but cannot move further past that area
                            I would be happy to share the project with you it is only proto type nothing even added except the tile toolkit.. I have not modified any bp's or anything if you could message me your email I will share with you .. I really want to use this for my project I think it will work great but gotta figure out what causes this sudden stop in tile access for sure maybe you have not tested fully with 100x100
                            to reproduce you could make a 100x100 grid and just keep moving out in a certain direction and you will end up at a point you cannot move further though the grid is still more room
                            Ok, if you're not able to figure out how to consistently reproduce the issue in a way that I can test you can send me a download link to your project in a PM and I'll take a look when I have the time.

Comment

to reproduce make a 100X100 grid and just kkeep moving in a set direction and before long you will reun into a line you cannot pass though the grid continues

Comment

to reproduce make a 100X100 grid and just kkeep moving in a set direction and before long you will reun into a line you cannot pass though the grid continues
                                Yeah, I'm still not able to reproduce the error. I guess you'll have to send your project over.

Comment

Working...
                                X