Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zennisin View Post

sure thing! And thanks for looking into this for me
    No worries, and sorry that it takes time. Not from lack of trying. I'll find a good solution, though, and notify you when I have it.

Originally posted by Alby_Albinodino View Post
    Total newbie here and trying to make a Fire Emblem-esque. Can't get a title screen to work. How would you go about adding a simple title screen (one that simply loads the example map in my case)? I tried doing it according to this tutorial and ended up unable to load the first stage (although the buttons worked well enough).
    Hey, sorry for the late reply. Check out the login menu map in Maps/Multiplayer for an example of how to login from a menu. The basic steps are to create a widget for your menu, add it to the viewport through the BeginPlay event of some blueprint (possibly the level blueprint). Then you can bind an event to a button or something else, which you can tie to the OpenLevel node.

The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
      Hey, sorry for the late reply. Check out the login menu map in Maps/Multiplayer for an example of how to login from a menu. The basic steps are to create a widget for your menu, add it to the viewport through the BeginPlay event of some blueprint (possibly the level blueprint). Then you can bind an event to a button or something else, which you can tie to the OpenLevel node.
      Hey, thanks. Worked like a charm.

Got these errors from the compiler after loading the next level, though. Are these because the Title Screen level that utilizes the widget does not have GridManager stuff in it? If so, is there any way or reason to clear and/or suppress these errors? They don't seem to have any effect on the actual gameplay (my first level loads fine) when I test the game itself.

A few other quick questions I have on my mind, too:

1) How can I modify the camera to act more like a Fire Emblem game's camera? (As in "fixed camera, 100% overhead view, etc.").
      I noticed that there is a blueprint called "BP_CameraControls", but I'm not entirely sure how this interacts with the game and am a bit apprehensive to fiddle with it.
      (I guess it would look somewhat similar to how Hydra's Lair's camera looks, but more zoomed out)

EDIT: Never mind, found out you can easily do this by modifying BP_GridCamera's position in the blueprint editor and then changing the arm length. Then you can even move bool config values around to remove rotation and zoom.

2) How do I turn off unit rotation? It's kind of weird seeing my sprites turning upside down and then head-moonwalking towards an enemy lol.
      EDIT: I watched Knut's "Action System 2/3" Tutorial video and figured out the location of the unit rotation, of which I quickly snapped off and it works as I hoped it would.

3) Is it difficult to change the color or aesthetic appearance of the health bars? If not, where should I look to do that?

Should be all for now. Thanks for the help earlier.

-----------------------------------------------

EDIT: I have a feeling that a lot of my problems stems from the fact that I have a pretty good idea of how to accomplish something but I have no idea where things are located. I've seen a few videos from your Tutorial Series on YouTube and I noticed a Blueprints explanation video that was 2 hours and 40 minutes long. However, I also noticed that later on in the playlist there's a video that says you overhauled the Blueprints' organization in an update after your Blueprints video. Would it still be relevant to watch the Blueprints video, or would I just be better off watching videos from the tutorial past the update video? Or should I do both here?

Thanks again for the response.
      Last edited by Alby_Albinodino; 05-20-2019, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Hey, thanks. Worked like a charm.

Got these errors from the compiler after loading the next level, though. Are these because the Title Screen level that utilizes the widget does not have GridManager stuff in it? If so, is there any way or reason to clear and/or suppress these errors? They don't seem to have any effect on the actual gameplay (my first level loads fine) when I test the game itself.

A few other quick questions I have on my mind, too:

1) How can I modify the camera to act more like a Fire Emblem game's camera? (As in "fixed camera, 100% overhead view, etc.").
        I noticed that there is a blueprint called "BP_CameraControls", but I'm not entirely sure how this interacts with the game and am a bit apprehensive to fiddle with it.
        (I guess it would look somewhat similar to how Hydra's Lair's camera looks, but more zoomed out)

EDIT: Never mind, found out you can easily do this by modifying BP_GridCamera's position in the blueprint editor and then changing the arm length. Then you can even move bool config values around to remove rotation and zoom.

2) How do I turn off unit rotation? It's kind of weird seeing my sprites turning upside down and then head-moonwalking towards an enemy lol.
        EDIT: I watched Knut's "Action System 2/3" Tutorial video and figured out the location of the unit rotation, of which I quickly snapped off and it works as I hoped it would.

3) Is it difficult to change the color or aesthetic appearance of the health bars? If not, where should I look to do that?

Should be all for now. Thanks for the help earlier.

EDIT: I have a feeling that a lot of my problems stems from the fact that I have a pretty good idea of how to accomplish something but I have no idea where things are located. I've seen a few videos from your Tutorial Series on YouTube and I noticed a Blueprints explanation video that was 2 hours and 40 minutes long. However, I also noticed that later on in the playlist there's a video that says you overhauled the Blueprints' organization in an update after your Blueprints video. Would it still be relevant to watch the Blueprints video, or would I just be better off watching videos from the tutorial past the update video? Or should I do both here?

Thanks again for the response.
        Hi Alby, I see you already figured some of this out on your own, but I'll try to help you with the rest. For your errors, this is likely because you are still using BP_ATBTT as the GameMode for your menu map. BP_ATBTT tries to access the grid manager and fails. Change the game mode in world setting to fix this.

For a top-down camera your solution should work fine, but if you have a 2D game, having an ortographic camera should work even better. Check out my 2D example game in maps/2D. It uses a top-down ortographic camera as well as sprites for units.

Should be simple enough to change the appearance of health bars. Create a duplicate of the health bar material and modify it as you'd like. Then change the material of the healthbar material billboard of your base unit to this new material.

Comment

Hi Alby, I see you already figured some of this out on your own, but I'll try to help you with the rest. For your errors, this is likely because you are still using BP_ATBTT as the GameMode for your menu map. BP_ATBTT tries to access the grid manager and fails. Change the game mode in world setting to fix this.

For a top-down camera your solution should work fine, but if you have a 2D game, having an ortographic camera should work even better. Check out my 2D example game in maps/2D. It uses a top-down ortographic camera as well as sprites for units.

Should be simple enough to change the appearance of health bars. Create a duplicate of the health bar material and modify it as you'd like. Then change the material of the healthbar material billboard of your base unit to this new material.

Heh, to think I was about to pop in and edit my post again. Thanks for the tips on the camera and stuff. I've spent the past 6 hours watching the tutorials you put up (up to about the Timeline Manager tutorial) in anticipation of your response.

The thing is that I'm trying to get something mildly playable ready by this Friday. I feel as if that's within the realm of possibility with what I currently have and what I feel can be done from watching your blueprints; I'm just trying to see how many features I can cram into my demo before then.

From skimming titles and comments from your videos, however, I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to implement every thing I'm thinking of adding on my own with your tutorials, so if you don't mind answering, I have a few more questions for you.

---------

1) I'd like to elaborate on the third question (the only un-self-answered) question I previously asked: MP Bars is what I was trying to make. I designed an MP Bar to appear right underneath the HP bar, as shown in image 1 of the album posted below. I followed similar steps that you posted earlier to someone else asking about an "AP" bar by doing the following:

-I copied the Health Bar Material and turned it blue.
          -In BP_Unit->Config->Attributes, I added new variables MaxMana and CurrentMana to mirror how Health was tracked by the Health Bar.
          -In BP_Unit->Version, I duplicated HealthBarMaterial and renamed the dupe "ManaBarMaterial" since HealthBarMaterial was referenced by the Setup and Modify functions for the Health Bar.
          -In BP_Unit_Anim, I duplicated SetupHealthBar and ModifyHealthBar and changed (what I think is) "Health-related" variables to my new "Mana-related" variables.

However, upon construction, any and all MP bars for every unit appear as such in the first image regardless of value. There's clearly something wrong with what I did, so might you know what I could have forgotten or made mistakes on that I should fix to make this bar functional?

Album for 1) is here: https://imgur.com/a/tOQSh8u

----------

2) I'll preface this second question of mine by saying I haven't had the time to view your Turn Manager video yet (It's pretty late right now where I am as I type this and I won't have time to see it until at the earliest tomorrow night) so if you think that I'd be able to figure out how to do what I'm asking of you here by watching the Turn Manager video and figuring out how it works, it'd be perfectly fine for you to tell me to just watch the video.

Anyways, Fire Emblem's turn system is a little bit different from your Toolkit's default way of handling turns.

-Fire Emblem's turns begin with the cursor either on the tile that was last referenced by the game or the cursor jumps back to the main character depending on the player's game settings. Units by default are "un-selected" and must be pressed to open up their movement options. If the player puts in a movement instruction and decides it is unsatisfactory, they can press a back button to cancel the move instruction and return the unit to its original location. Once units are done acting, they are greyed out to indicate they're "exhausted".

-The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit's turns begin with the cursor automatically "selected" upon the unit with the highest initiative value for movement options. There is no way to "de-select" a unit other than selecting another non-exhausted unit, which selects that unit for movement options instead. If the player puts in a movement instruction and decides it is unsatisfactory, no option exists to cancel the move instruction and return the unit to its original location. Once units are done acting, they show an exhausted icon to indicate they're "exhausted".

Do you have any tips or tutorials you can give me for matching Fire Emblem's turn setup exactly?

--------------------

3) When I was fiddling around initially with creating a title screen for the game, I remember going into World Settings and completely messing all sorts of things up. Although I'm a lot more informed now, I'd still like to ask for absolute clarity the following:

In World Settings, to change the Game Mode of the level in order to remove warnings from BP_GridManager/etc., do I change the value under "GameMode Override" to a different Game Mode? If so, what should I change it to? Should I create a brand new Game Mode for Title Screens or is there a Game Mode already within the toolkit that I can use for this purpose?

That's all for now. Thanks a lot again for the help, Knut. I really appreciate what you've done with this toolkit.

Comment

Heh, to think I was about to pop in and edit my post again. Thanks for the tips on the camera and stuff. I've spent the past 6 hours watching the tutorials you put up (up to about the Timeline Manager tutorial) in anticipation of your response.

The thing is that I'm trying to get something mildly playable ready by this Friday. I feel as if that's within the realm of possibility with what I currently have and what I feel can be done from watching your blueprints; I'm just trying to see how many features I can cram into my demo before then.

From skimming titles and comments from your videos, however, I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to implement every thing I'm thinking of adding on my own with your tutorials, so if you don't mind answering, I have a few more questions for you.
            I'll try my best to answer.

1) I'd like to elaborate on the third question (the only un-self-answered) question I previously asked: MP Bars is what I was trying to make. I designed an MP Bar to appear right underneath the HP bar, as shown in image 1 of the album posted below. I followed similar steps that you posted earlier to someone else asking about an "AP" bar by doing the following:

-I copied the Health Bar Material and turned it blue.
            -In BP_Unit->Config->Attributes, I added new variables MaxMana and CurrentMana to mirror how Health was tracked by the Health Bar.
            -In BP_Unit->Version, I duplicated HealthBarMaterial and renamed the dupe "ManaBarMaterial" since HealthBarMaterial was referenced by the Setup and Modify functions for the Health Bar.
            -In BP_Unit_Anim, I duplicated SetupHealthBar and ModifyHealthBar and changed (what I think is) "Health-related" variables to my new "Mana-related" variables.

However, upon construction, any and all MP bars for every unit appear as such in the first image regardless of value. There's clearly something wrong with what I did, so might you know what I could have forgotten or made mistakes on that I should fix to make this bar functional?

Album for 1) is here: https://imgur.com/a/tOQSh8u
            Hmm, from what I can see your setup seems reasonable. Where are you calling these new functions?

2) I'll preface this second question of mine by saying I haven't had the time to view your Turn Manager video yet (It's pretty late right now where I am as I type this and I won't have time to see it until at the earliest tomorrow night) so if you think that I'd be able to figure out how to do what I'm asking of you here by watching the Turn Manager video and figuring out how it works, it'd be perfectly fine for you to tell me to just watch the video.
            The turn manager stuff is probably what I'm the least happy with in the current version of the toolkit, and is ripe for a refactoring. It can be modified to get almost any form of turn order, but it is sometimes cumbersome to work with, so I understand if you're struggling.

Anyways, Fire Emblem's turn system is a little bit different from your Toolkit's default way of handling turns.

-Fire Emblem's turns begin with the cursor either on the tile that was last referenced by the game or the cursor jumps back to the main character depending on the player's game settings. Units by default are "un-selected" and must be pressed to open up their movement options. If the player puts in a movement instruction and decides it is unsatisfactory, they can press a back button to cancel the move instruction and return the unit to its original location. Once units are done acting, they are greyed out to indicate they're "exhausted".

-The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit's turns begin with the cursor automatically "selected" upon the unit with the highest initiative value for movement options. There is no way to "de-select" a unit other than selecting another non-exhausted unit, which selects that unit for movement options instead. If the player puts in a movement instruction and decides it is unsatisfactory, no option exists to cancel the move instruction and return the unit to its original location. Once units are done acting, they show an exhausted icon to indicate they're "exhausted".

Do you have any tips or tutorials you can give me for matching Fire Emblem's turn setup exactly?
            There are a few different questions here. To select no units at the start of the player turn and when a unit ends its turn, make the following small modifications to the turn manager:

For deactivating the current active unit, a function like this should do most of what you want:

For greying out your units, you can apply your effect to the EndActorTurn event of your unit and remove it as part of RefreshActor.

The rewinding turn stuff is a bit more tricky. The ways I can immediately think of are a bit convoluted. You could for instance store the previous GridIndex, Health etc of each unit on the individual units and use this info to reset if needed. A more complete solution could be to keep a save file that stores all relevant information for all units and for each turn (or unit action within that turn). Could get tricky to work with, though. I'll let you know if I think up a more elegant solution.

3) When I was fiddling around initially with creating a title screen for the game, I remember going into World Settings and completely messing all sorts of things up. Although I'm a lot more informed now, I'd still like to ask for absolute clarity the following:

In World Settings, to change the Game Mode of the level in order to remove warnings from BP_GridManager/etc., do I change the value under "GameMode Override" to a different Game Mode? If so, what should I change it to? Should I create a brand new Game Mode for Title Screens or is there a Game Mode already within the toolkit that I can use for this purpose?
            If you don't need any special game mode functionality for your level (and you probably don't for a menu), just set it to the default Epic game mode called GameMode.

That's all for now. Thanks a lot again for the help, Knut. I really appreciate what you've done with this toolkit.
            Thanks and no worries! Hope my answers were useful.

Comment

Hmm, from what I can see your setup seems reasonable. Where are you calling these new functions?
              Found out that I didn't run the Setup function and found out that it was referenced in the construction script, where I remedied that situation by constructing it after the Health Bar was constructed. It seemed to measure the correct Mana amounts afterward just fine.

As for the "turn off auto select unit", your fixes worked great.

I made that and hooked it up to a key press (K) to see if it worked. It didn't appear to do so, though, so I'm not sure what went wrong. Does it have to be "DeactivateActiveActor" as the custom event? Because it's just a named Custom Event. I'm not sure if that's actually connected to something or not.

The rewinding turn stuff is a bit more tricky. The ways I can immediately think of are a bit convoluted. You could for instance store the previous GridIndex, Health etc of each unit on the individual units and use this info to reset if needed. A more complete solution could be to keep a save file that stores all relevant information for all units and for each turn (or unit action within that turn). Could get tricky to work with, though. I'll let you know if I think up a more elegant solution.
              Yeah, I'm not entirely sure if I'm ready to take on something complicated like that yet. It's definitely looking like I'll have to figure out how to implement such a thing muuuch later. If you do come up with a more elegant solution, do share, though. I'd love to know.

If you don't need any special game mode functionality for your level (and you probably don't for a menu), just set it to the default Epic game mode called GameMode.
              Okay, thanks.

-----------------------------------------
              Right now I'm focusing on setting up weapons and inventory, reconfiguring the attack function, adding additional stats to units for battle processing (defense, speed for double attacks, skill for accuracy and critical hits), and the like. Inventory management development's sending me up a tree lol.

I guess I just have a few more questions at the moment if you don't mind answering more inquiries.

1) Which blueprints do I interrupt at which time in order to accomplish these tasks?:
              -Adding a "footsteps" sound effect to the movement of all units (Starts when movement begins, stops when movement stops)
              -Whenever the cursor hovers over a tile, play a sound. (Should make a lot of noise if you run your mouse over many tiles at once)
              -Detect when the cursor is hovering over a unit to show a mini widget and after a key is pressed while hovering over the tile with a unit on it, open up a widget that displays their stats

2) How would I go about modifying the "Mind Control" action to make a "Talk" option that can recruit enemy units for your team more permanently? I'm planning on having this action open up a dialogue widget or something to show two characters conversing and then it ending with one character joining the player's side permanently.

3) Can you change the appearance of specific tiles on BP_GridManager or is the only way to change the tile meshes of specific grid tiles through changing all of them (as in the image I posted above this question)? I tried placing tile blueprints over the individual locations over the GridManager but that just covered up the markers on the grid. What I'm trying to accomplish is making a completely flat sprite-based grid.

4) On the topic of sprites, I'm trying to animate a sprite's hurt animation as shown in your Custom Unit (3/3) YouTube tutorial (My attempt as shown above), but instead of a StaticMesh basic cube I'm using a flipbook of a sprite animation I made. In order to produce the effect I was going for, I was thinking of making the sprite animate so that it drifted away from the enemy that just hit them on the map, so I used the following blueprints like this with the timeline set up like this. However, this doesn't actually do anything to the sprite (I mean, I'm guessing that in order for a unit to get knocked back from the enemy I would have to figure out how to get the enemy unit's position which I definitely didn't do, but the sprite didn't even change its color according to the timeline.

Sorry if I've come off as overbearing with all these questions.

EDIT: Okay, really strange interaction with the "Game Over" detection here. When I sever this connection and adjust it as you've done so, if an action with a unit kills the final enemy unit on the map, the game refuses to end until I select another unit. I don't know for sure why, but if I were to guess, it's because the game checks for "is the game over" at the start of the following action.

This can be an issue since there's no way to manually start the next action if the final unit on the player's team defeats the last enemy unit. For the time being (and likely looks like it'll be like this when I release my demo in a couple of days for some fellow students to see), it looks like I'll be keeping this connection the way it was. How could someone change the functions so that the "win game" condition is checked on the end of the same turn? (Or a more elegant way of ending the game without having to select another unit that can act?)
              Last edited by Alby_Albinodino; 05-22-2019, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Found out that I didn't run the Setup function and found out that it was referenced in the construction script, where I remedied that situation by constructing it after the Health Bar was constructed. It seemed to measure the correct Mana amounts afterward just fine.

As for the "turn off auto select unit", your fixes worked great.
                Good to hear!

I made that and hooked it up to a key press (K) to see if it worked. It didn't appear to do so, though, so I'm not sure what went wrong. Does it have to be "DeactivateActiveActor" as the custom event? Because it's just a named Custom Event. I'm not sure if that's actually connected to something or not.
                Are you running your input event from an actor that actually receives keyboard input? Try calling it from a keyboard event in the player controller, perhaps?

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure if I'm ready to take on something complicated like that yet. It's definitely looking like I'll have to figure out how to implement such a thing muuuch later. If you do come up with a more elegant solution, do share, though. I'd love to know.
                Probably a good call. I'll let you know if I think of something simpler.

1) Which blueprints do I interrupt at which time in order to accomplish these tasks?:
                -Adding a "footsteps" sound effect to the movement of all units (Starts when movement begins, stops when movement stops)
                Check out anim notify events. Google that and footsteps + unreal engine and you should find some tutorials.

-Detect when the cursor is hovering over a unit to show a mini widget and after a key is pressed while hovering over the tile with a unit on it, open up a widget that displays their stats
                In the hover event (event server hover,) of whatever ability is active you can check the GridUnits TMap in BP_GridManager at the hovered grid index.

2) How would I go about modifying the "Mind Control" action to make a "Talk" option that can recruit enemy units for your team more permanently? I'm planning on having this action open up a dialogue widget or something to show two characters conversing and then it ending with one character joining the player's side permanently.
                Switching factions just means setting the faction variable and AlliedFactions variable to appropriate values.

3) Can you change the appearance of specific tiles on BP_GridManager or is the only way to change the tile meshes of specific grid tiles through changing all of them (as in the image I posted above this question)? I tried placing tile blueprints over the individual locations over the GridManager but that just covered up the markers on the grid. What I'm trying to accomplish is making a completely flat sprite-based grid.
                The default visible grid is mostly there for debugging and is not that easy to modify. I recommend setting ShowDefaultTile to false and visualizing the grid in whatever way you choose. Check out the 2D example map (2D/Hydra's Lair) for an example on how to use a sprite based grid.

4) On the topic of sprites, I'm trying to animate a sprite's hurt animation as shown in your Custom Unit (3/3) YouTube tutorial (My attempt as shown above), but instead of a StaticMesh basic cube I'm using a flipbook of a sprite animation I made. In order to produce the effect I was going for, I was thinking of making the sprite animate so that it drifted away from the enemy that just hit them on the map, so I used the following blueprints like this with the timeline set up like this. However, this doesn't actually do anything to the sprite (I mean, I'm guessing that in order for a unit to get knocked back from the enemy I would have to figure out how to get the enemy unit's position which I definitely didn't do, but the sprite didn't even change its color according to the timeline.
                Again, check out the 2D example map. The units there do something similar when they attack.

Okay, really strange interaction with the "Game Over" detection here. When I sever this connection and adjust it as you've done so, if an action with a unit kills the final enemy unit on the map, the game refuses to end until I select another unit. I don't know for sure why, but if I were to guess, it's because the game checks for "is the game over" at the start of the following action.

This can be an issue since there's no way to manually start the next action if the final unit on the player's team defeats the last enemy unit. For the time being (and likely looks like it'll be like this when I release my demo in a couple of days for some fellow students to see), it looks like I'll be keeping this connection the way it was. How could someone change the functions so that the "win game" condition is checked on the end of the same turn? (Or a more elegant way of ending the game without having to select another unit that can act?)
                You're right in your interpretation of what is happening here. You should be able to also check for game over in the EndActiveActorTurn event. Just be sure that InitializeQueuedActions in BP_TurnManager is called after the game ends, or the associated actions will not animate.

Comment

Hey Knut, congrats on being a Doctor now (a bit late to the cheers, I know).

So you know I've been eyeing your Ability System videos and putting timemarks, and now I was trying to get my hands dirty in abilities to see for myself some points. I was trying to re-create the counterattack ability you made in this post by duplicating the MoveAttack ability and adding that additional branch you talk about in ExecuteAbility(). It seems to work fine for AI units, but apparently if the unit is player-controlled, the Branch never comes out as True, and thus skips the counterattack.

Using breakpoints I found that in those failed cases Target Index has a value of 0. Do you know why could be?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	breakpoint.png
Views:	17
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	1623746

The branch I added looks like this, though again, afaik I just copied 1:1 what you made before:

Name:	ExecuteAbility.png
Views:	18
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1623745

Cheers! Hope you're doing awright.
                  Artstation | 3D Artist | Krakow

Comment

Originally posted by Justo View Post
                    Hey Knut, congrats on being a Doctor now (a bit late to the cheers, I know).
                    Thanks! Also a bit late on my reply, sorry. Still catching up on some of the stuff I pushed forward due to my PhD work.

So you know I've been eyeing your Ability System videos and putting timemarks, and now I was trying to get my hands dirty in abilities to see for myself some points.
                    Yeah, I saw that. Thanks again!

was trying to re-create the counterattack ability you made in this post by duplicating the MoveAttack ability and adding that additional branch you talk about in ExecuteAbility(). It seems to work fine for AI units, but apparently if the unit is player-controlled, the Branch never comes out as True, and thus skips the counterattack.

Using breakpoints I found that in those failed cases Target Index has a value of 0. Do you know why could be?

Name:	breakpoint.png
Views:	17
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	1623746

The branch I added looks like this, though again, afaik I just copied 1:1 what you made before:

Name:	ExecuteAbility.png
Views:	18
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1623745

Cheers! Hope you're doing awright.
                    I think there might be a naming conflict here that is causing trouble. There are two TargetIndex variables here. One is the one stored in the ability itself. Another is the one stored as a local variable in the function (blueprint functions automatically converts input variables to local variables). I think you're using the TargetIndex variable of the main blueprint instead of the local one of the function. As the AI and player store the target index differently, I'm guessing this fails in one of the cases. This is my bad for not naming them differently. If you right click the graph and search for the TargetIndex variable select the lowest one that is least indented. That should be the local variant.

Comment

No worries, and sorry that it takes time. Not from lack of trying. I'll find a good solution, though, and notify you when I have it.
                      Hey Knut, I was wondering if you had any updates for the animations while moving?

Comment

Originally posted by Zennisin View Post

Hey Knut, I was wondering if you had any updates for the animations while moving?
                        I've been working on this the last few days and I think I finally had a breakthrough a few hours ago. Networking was always the challenge here, but my new approach seems to work. I'll need to do a bit more testing, but a new version should be out fairly soon that simplifies animating actions within other actions.

Edit: The main issue remaining is how best to handle units dying on their own turn. This code was ripe for refactoring anyway. Fixing this might take a couple of days, but then I should send out a new update.
                        Last edited by Monokkel; 05-28-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I've been working on this the last few days and I think I finally had a breakthrough a few hours ago. Networking was always the challenge here, but my new approach seems to work. I'll need to do a bit more testing, but a new version should be out fairly soon that simplifies animating actions within other actions.

Edit: The main issue remaining is how best to handle units dying on their own turn. This code was ripe for refactoring anyway. Fixing this might take a couple of days, but then I should send out a new update.
                          The only good work around I found to units dieing on their turn was to put in code to always leave them with 1 hp. But if you can tell the unit to end its turn then die when when it recieves a fatal blow from a counter attack or an overwatch attack that might help

Comment

Originally posted by MercJones View Post

The only good work around I found to units dieing on their turn was to put in code to always leave them with 1 hp. But if you can tell the unit to end its turn then die when when it recieves a fatal blow from a counter attack or an overwatch attack that might help
                            Thanks for the input. There are several possible hacky solutions, but I should probably rather change the underlying system so that such hacks won't be necessary at all.

Comment

Hey, first off fantastic package. As someone very new to blueprints its a brilliant resource to look through and learn from. I was following along with your Custom Units - Custom Rigs tutorial on youtube, but am having an issue. I'm getting this error with AbpRef. The idle is playing, but nothing else is working with movement or attack etc, as it is failing to cast to ABP_Unit. Guessing its something very basic I've missed, but felt I had followed the tutorial along correctly.

Name:	Screenshot_68.png
Views:	43
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1625332
                              Thanks!

Comment

this sounds great! For what it's worth, in my game it's perfectly acceptable for a unit to die on it's own turn depending on the decision they make. They could even die in the middle of their run from tile A to tile B.

Comment

Working...
                                X