Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Monokkel View Post

    No worries about the questions. I'm just sorry I can't answer them properly yet. Unit switching and turn order stuff is a part of the toolkit that I still feel is unnecessarily complicated and ripe for a small refactoring. I'm guessing the reason for what you're seeing is that you're using a different ability in each example? The code for switching to other units is defined within the abilities (since they are the interface through which clicking and hovering the mouse is interpreted). If you use the same ability as in the first map, does the same thing happen? Another possibility is that it is caused by a bug that prevents unit switching when there is only one faction in initiative and you are on the last unit. I thought I had fixed this bug, but maybe not. Do you have units of another faction on the map where you are unable to switch?
    The first guess was the answer! I had switched the Sprint ability out with the general move ability, because I didn't want them to be able to move twice by default. Once I gave them both the Sprint ability again they were able to switch between each other! I'll have to take a look into the other abilities and see if I can just make it so no matter the ability they would be able to switch.

    Thanks a lot

    Comment


      Originally posted by Methosborgoff View Post

      I'm at work right now but if you have a chance before knut is done with his thesis I'm pretty sure there was another user who was able to get two units to move at the same time (seperate paths for each unit) quite a few pages back. That user posted a few gifs showing his progress. If I get a chance when I'm off of work I'll take a look and see if I can find it. I do remember this was after knut's major refactoring he did of the tool kit so some info on how to do this should still be relevant.
      thank you very much. ill backtrack the forum pages and try to find it.

      Comment


        Dear Knut! Hi! Where in a new version of BP_GRID_Manager can I find a property: Tile in Move Range Type and Tile in Sight Range Type

        Comment


          Hey Knut, I hope you can remember what I'm referencing from 2 pages back, but I was asking about adding a status effect to my unit when they walk over a fire tile. I'm trying to follow your suggestion of adding it during the BPI_Interact > Event Interact, but Add Status Effect requires a reference to BP_Ability. Do you happen to have a solution for this? Thanks!

          Comment


            Hey everyone, sorry for the wait. I've now finished my PhD and am officially Dr. Monokkel I have built up a bit of a backlog of other obligations in the last few weeks, so it will still take some days until I'm back in 100% support capacity, but pretty soon I should have more time for this then I've had in more than a year. Ok, so onto your questions.

            Originally posted by Zennisin View Post

            The first guess was the answer! I had switched the Sprint ability out with the general move ability, because I didn't want them to be able to move twice by default. Once I gave them both the Sprint ability again they were able to switch between each other! I'll have to take a look into the other abilities and see if I can just make it so no matter the ability they would be able to switch.

            Thanks a lot
            Good to hear my guess was correct. To enable switching from any ability you basically need to check if a clicked index contains a friendly unit (as part of ServerInteract), and if so you can call the default click function contained in BP_Ability.

            Originally posted by chriscast View Post

            thank you very much. ill backtrack the forum pages and try to find it.
            Let me know if you have any success with this. If not I'll try to look into how to set this up in earlier versions soon.

            Originally posted by Lexx View Post
            Dear Knut! Hi! Where in a new version of BP_GRID_Manager can I find a property: Tile in Move Range Type and Tile in Sight Range Type
            This has been changed so that instead of having one global setting for showing tiles in range it can be defined individually for each ability. Open the ability your units are using and you can find the tile markers as hierarchical instanced static mesh components within the ability.

            Originally posted by Zennisin View Post
            Hey Knut, I hope you can remember what I'm referencing from 2 pages back, but I was asking about adding a status effect to my unit when they walk over a fire tile. I'm trying to follow your suggestion of adding it during the BPI_Interact > Event Interact, but Add Status Effect requires a reference to BP_Ability. Do you happen to have a solution for this? Thanks!
            If you open the AddStatusEffect function you should be able to copy the nodes contained within to your fire tile. I don't think there is really any ability specific code there.
            Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

            Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

            Discord

            Comment


              hi knut

              Congratulations dr Monokkel!!
              I finished my phd 10 years ago, and I really know what a tremendous relief you must have right now after graduation (a 2-ton weighing stone came off your chest ). realy happy for you knut.

              But there's a price to it, after I've been silent for the last few months and I did not want to disturb you, I'll come back to bother you with many questions )

              cheers

              leo
              Last edited by leo bar; 05-09-2019, 03:52 PM.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                Hey everyone, sorry for the wait. I've now finished my PhD and am officially Dr. Monokkel I have built up a bit of a backlog of other obligations in the last few weeks, so it will still take some days until I'm back in 100% support capacity, but pretty soon I should have more time for this then I've had in more than a year. Ok, so onto your questions.


                If you open the AddStatusEffect function you should be able to copy the nodes contained within to your fire tile. I don't think there is really any ability specific code there.
                Yeah I was checking the code and noticed it did nothing with the BP_Ability reference, so I was wondering why it was there in the first place.

                Also, congrats on becoming a Dr! I know I'm new here, but I'm glad I got to be here for such an amazing accomplishment Keep up the good work as always!

                Comment


                  Hey Knut, is there anyway I could check if my unit has the "on fire" status outside the ability system? I'm trying to do it inside my tile so it doesn't add the same effect again, but instead refreshes the duration of the status back to its original length.


                  I'm also having trouble making the status effect do damage at the start of the units turn, but if you don't have anything off the top of your head for this one no worries I can try to figure it out.

                  Thanks!

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by leo bar View Post
                    hi knut

                    Congratulations dr Monokkel!!
                    I finished my phd 10 years ago, and I really know what a tremendous relief you must have right now after graduation (a 2-ton weighing stone came off your chest ). realy happy for you knut.

                    But there's a price to it, after I've been silent for the last few months and I did not want to disturb you, I'll come back to bother you with many questions )

                    cheers

                    leo
                    Thanks! And no worries, I actually enjoy providing support for the most part. It might have seemed less so the last few months because of the intense pressure of finishing my PhD, but don't feel bad about disturbing me with questions. After all, it helps this thread stay visible on the forums, which is one of the few ways I get any visibility, since there is no way to sort the marketplace by popularity.

                    Originally posted by Zennisin View Post

                    Yeah I was checking the code and noticed it did nothing with the BP_Ability reference, so I was wondering why it was there in the first place.

                    Also, congrats on becoming a Dr! I know I'm new here, but I'm glad I got to be here for such an amazing accomplishment Keep up the good work as always!
                    Thanks! Yeah, it does not really make sense to have that function tied to BP_Ability, I guess. Just a consequence of how I originally designed things. Might change that later.

                    Originally posted by Zennisin View Post
                    Hey Knut, is there anyway I could check if my unit has the "on fire" status outside the ability system? I'm trying to do it inside my tile so it doesn't add the same effect again, but instead refreshes the duration of the status back to its original length.


                    I'm also having trouble making the status effect do damage at the start of the units turn, but if you don't have anything off the top of your head for this one no worries I can try to figure it out.

                    Thanks!
                    As long as you have a reference to the unit with the status effect you can check it like so:

                    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                    Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                    Discord

                    Comment


                      Hey Knut, I hope you have a quick solution for this, because I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out. For my "on fire" status effect, I have it running when I want to, and the unit is taking the damage, but the health bar isn't updating visually so it looks as if my unit dies out of nowhere. Any idea why?

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	fire1.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1618067Click image for larger version

Name:	fire2.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1618068

                      I've tried messing with the delay, but can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Zennisin; 05-11-2019, 01:54 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Zennisin View Post
                        Hey Knut, I hope you have a quick solution for this, because I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out. For my "on fire" status effect, I have it running when I want to, and the unit is taking the damage, but the health bar isn't updating visually so it looks as if my unit dies out of nowhere. Any idea why?

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	fire1.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1618067Click image for larger version

Name:	fire2.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1618068

                        I've tried messing with the delay, but can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!
                        Take damage is a function that modifies the game logic (the value of current health), so it should not be called from an AnimateAction event, which are only for animation and other visualization (such as modifying the fill of the health bar). Rather than call TakeDamage you should call AnimateHurt.
                        Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                        Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                        Discord

                        Comment


                          Hey Knut, a bit ago I asked about animating the health bar during the walk animation to show the units getting hurt as they walk through the fire tiles, and you said you were working on it in the next update, or I could do some hacky things to get it to work now. Could you possibly go into more detail about the "hacky" solutions? Thanks!
                          Last edited by Zennisin; 05-12-2019, 10:33 PM.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Zennisin View Post
                            Hey Knut, a bit ago I asked about animating the health bar during the walk animation to show the units getting hurt as they walk through the fire tiles, and you said you were working on it in the next update, or I could do some hacky things to get it to work now. Could you possibly go into more detail about the "hacky" solutions? Thanks!
                            Hey, the hacky solution was a significantly more tricky hack than I anticipated. Sorry, but I'm going to have to look at this again tomorrow. I spent quite some time working on a hacky solution, but I'm not quite there yet.
                            Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                            Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

                            Discord

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Monokkel View Post

                              Hey, the hacky solution was a significantly more tricky hack than I anticipated. Sorry, but I'm going to have to look at this again tomorrow. I spent quite some time working on a hacky solution, but I'm not quite there yet.
                              sure thing! And thanks for looking into this for me

                              Comment


                                Total newbie here and trying to make a Fire Emblem-esque. Can't get a title screen to work. How would you go about adding a simple title screen (one that simply loads the example map in my case)? I tried doing it according to this tutorial and ended up unable to load the first stage (although the buttons worked well enough).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X