No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't edit the post for some reason in this machine; "error_information_x" keeps popping. I'll try again in another machine today and if that fails too I'll delete the post and make a new one with the updated info.
    Artstation | 3D Artist | Krakow

Comment

Originally posted by leo bar View Post
      hi knut

its funny, that is almost exactly what i did in the end for my solution. if only i explained it better for you in the beginning i would have saved a lot of time with your solution but i guess i heaved learned a lot during this process.

again thanks a lot for your time

cheers
      leo
      Ah, ok. Reading your earlier comments again I'm sorry I didn't pick up on your meaning. Glad you figured it out and learned something in the process, at least

Originally posted by Justo View Post
      Can't edit the post for some reason in this machine; "error_information_x" keeps popping. I'll try again in another machine today and if that fails too I'll delete the post and make a new one with the updated info.
      Try again a bit later. If not, people following the link will likely also see my comments.
      The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

Yeah, post updated successfully. If you want me to change anything later do tell and I'll be happy to do so. The problem must have been something with the PCs at work where they don't like us much posting anything online.

Looking forward to more ATBTT news! winkwink :^)

Edit: I see you posted the link in the 3/3 video description. Most of what I wrote came from video 2/3 though, which was more about the theory and graph explanations, in case you want to add the link to the description there too.

Edit2: Just thinking about your comments saying you still needed to apply satisfactory solutions to certain points in the toolkit. This might be a silly idea, but if it helps, maybe you could download xcom 2's mod source code which contains all the game's logic commented by the engineering team behind the game. It's all in chinese for my skill level, but in your case it could hopefully spark some new ideas for solutions, in case you wanted some.
        Last edited by Justo; 03-19-2019, 05:36 AM.
        Artstation | 3D Artist | Krakow

Comment

@monokel thanks for your reply. I will try it, but seems not so clear for me, Will let you know, if I succeed

Comment

Hi, I searched the thread but I may have missed the answer: How to scale grid size? Like, what is the official way of doing that? Because I want to shrink it to a very small level.
            In a post you mentioned this could be achieved by adjusting the default tile static mesh, and you were going to give some formal solution to that.
            Plus, I found "tile bounds x" and y in grid manager, but they are in "DO NOT EDIT" category.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Justo View Post
              Yeah, post updated successfully. If you want me to change anything later do tell and I'll be happy to do so. The problem must have been something with the PCs at work where they don't like us much posting anything online.

Looking forward to more ATBTT news! winkwink :^)

Edit: I see you posted the link in the 3/3 video description. Most of what I wrote came from video 2/3 though, which was more about the theory and graph explanations, in case you want to add the link to the description there too.

Edit2: Just thinking about your comments saying you still needed to apply satisfactory solutions to certain points in the toolkit. This might be a silly idea, but if it helps, maybe you could download xcom 2's mod source code which contains all the game's logic commented by the engineering team behind the game. It's all in chinese for my skill level, but in your case it could hopefully spark some new ideas for solutions, in case you wanted some.
              Thanks, I've moved the link to the second video. I have considered downloading the source code before, and I'm sure there is stuff to learn there. I have this weird thing that I want to solve every problem on my own from the ground up, which is sometimes counterproductive.

Originally posted by E-tales View Post
              @monokel thanks for your reply. I will try it, but seems not so clear for me, Will let you know, if I succeed
              Ok, sorry if I was not as clear as I could be. See how far you get from my description and if you get stuck again I'll try to go more in depth.

Originally posted by FuTou View Post
              Hi, I searched the thread but I may have missed the answer: How to scale grid size? Like, what is the official way of doing that? Because I want to shrink it to a very small level.
              In a post you mentioned this could be achieved by adjusting the default tile static mesh, and you were going to give some formal solution to that.
              Plus, I found "tile bounds x" and y in grid manager, but they are in "DO NOT EDIT" category.

Thanks in advance!
              In the newer versions of the toolkit you should be able to just scale the grid directly (setting the scale of the grid manager). I try to correct for the transform of the grid manager in all relevant parts of the code. There might potentially be a few cases I've missed, as I do most of my testing on a normally scaled grid, so if you see any weird scaling issues after doing this, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                In the newer versions of the toolkit you should be able to just scale the grid directly (setting the scale of the grid manager). I try to correct for the transform of the grid manager in all relevant parts of the code. There might potentially be a few cases I've missed, as I do most of my testing on a normally scaled grid, so if you see any weird scaling issues after doing this, please let me know.
                Understood. Please see whether this one reproduces on your side: after scaling the grid manager, and scaling the unit melee player pawn at the same amount, the unit does not snap to grid properly. Also, if scaled pawn, the health bar doen't scale with it.
                If it's just me, maybe I modified something accidently. If this also appears on your side, you can tell me where to look into, or where to modify, so I can more quickly position the issue, thank you

Comment

Also I want to ask this, although it's not necessarily about ATBTT: when I'm trying to debug snapping, and (I thought it might be within the construction script) press F9 on a construction script node, and move the pawn/ start the game, the breakpoint is not hit. Any ideas?

Comment

Understood. Please see whether this one reproduces on your side: after scaling the grid manager, and scaling the unit melee player pawn at the same amount, the unit does not snap to grid properly. Also, if scaled pawn, the health bar doen't scale with it.
                    If it's just me, maybe I modified something accidently. If this also appears on your side, you can tell me where to look into, or where to modify, so I can more quickly position the issue, thank you
                    Also I want to ask this, although it's not necessarily about ATBTT: when I'm trying to debug snapping, and (I thought it might be within the construction script) press F9 on a construction script node, and move the pawn/ start the game, the breakpoint is not hit. Any ideas?
                    ok, thanks for letting me know I'm currently traveling so I won't be able to look at this until tomorrow but it will probably be a quick fix. It is likely I've forgotten to adjust for the grid manager's transform in the grid snapping functionality in the construction script of BP_GridActor.

Comment

FuTou: Okay, managed to test this. Grid snapping seems to work fine on my end. Are you able to replicate this issue with a fresh project, and if so how? Also, I think construction script code might not work well with break points in UE4 generally.

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                        FuTou: Okay, managed to test this. Grid snapping seems to work fine on my end. Are you able to replicate this issue with a fresh project, and if so how? Also, I think construction script code might not work well with break points in UE4 generally.
                        Hope you had a good trip These days I've been looking into the issue in my tiny map, which is in a ArchViz scene, on the table. There are random issues, and snapping went good after I changed something (I'm not sure which one). Now it's having other odd issues, which I'm still checking. I'll ask you when I'm exhausted in finding the issue, haha.
                        For construction script, yes, I saw Unreal said only when it's ran at PIE state can it be hit with breakpoints, thanks.

Comment

As now I'm thinking, because I imported atbtt assets into a c++ project which had other setup, maybe there are some stuff that didn't come along well with asset migrating, do you think it could be the reason? I manally fixed the project input settings, but there could be other stuff that I'm missing?

Comment

FYI, yesterday I added grid manager actor location into account when dealing with "check outer Bounds" of BP_grid_camera. Guess maybe you can also check that

Comment

Hi Monokkel,
                              it turns out that although I did fix the input settings, there were other project settings that I missed. I just found I needed to add several trace channels, like "PathTrace" etc.
                              Since my project relies on some c++ modules, I had to migrate ATBTT into the cpp project instead of the other way around. There were history project settings, so I have to run a merge for all the config files now. Could you tell me the key project settings that I shall pay special attention to? Right now I found trace/collision and input are essential, are there others?

Comment

Hope you had a good trip These days I've been looking into the issue in my tiny map, which is in a ArchViz scene, on the table. There are random issues, and snapping went good after I changed something (I'm not sure which one). Now it's having other odd issues, which I'm still checking. I'll ask you when I'm exhausted in finding the issue, haha.
                                For construction script, yes, I saw Unreal said only when it's ran at PIE state can it be hit with breakpoints, thanks.
                                As now I'm thinking, because I imported atbtt assets into a c++ project which had other setup, maybe there are some stuff that didn't come along well with asset migrating, do you think it could be the reason? I manally fixed the project input settings, but there could be other stuff that I'm missing?
                                Hi Monokkel,
                                it turns out that although I did fix the input settings, there were other project settings that I missed. I just found I needed to add several trace channels, like "PathTrace" etc.
                                Since my project relies on some c++ modules, I had to migrate ATBTT into the cpp project instead of the other way around. There were history project settings, so I have to run a merge for all the config files now. Could you tell me the key project settings that I shall pay special attention to? Right now I found trace/collision and input are essential, are there others?
                                Ok, this makes sense. Normally when migrating to a new project I just copy over the config folder from the ATBTT project and that takes care of everything. The important stuff is what you have noted (input and trace channels).

FYI, yesterday I added grid manager actor location into account when dealing with "check outer Bounds" of BP_grid_camera. Guess maybe you can also check that
                                Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X