Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonkeyPants View Post
    A couple very quick, probably very stupid questions;
    So I did what you suggested above, as far as starting the camera free, and it worked, except now when the game starts it hovers over an enemy, and I can't seem to figure out how to prevent it from doing that.
    Also, I would like the camera to be zoomed out a little more than the default when the game starts, but I can't seem to find that value in the camera blueprint that allows me to do that. I tried simply moving the camera itself in the blueprint viewport, which works, except then I can't zoom back IN again. I'm wondering if there's a smoother way to manipulate that in the blueprint itself.
    I haven't been too good at documenting the camera stuff, so I understand that it can be a bit confusing. Firstly as of the latest Version you do not need to place the camera actor manually in the scene; this is done automatically in ATBTT_GameMode.

When you say that it hovers over an enemy, do you mean that the camera’s starting location is above the enemy pawn, or that it flies over to it/has follow cam. If it follows automatically you should be able to disable this by setting the default value of the variable Is Panning in the camera actor (BP_Grid_Camera) to true. If it’s just the starting location, you should be able to fix this by changing the spawn location of the camera actor in the event graph of ATBTT_GameMode (at the right hand of the top left section of the graph). To change how far out the camera is zoomed at the start of the game, you have to modify the default length of the Spring Arm component in the camera actor. Maximum and minimum zoom distances can be set in the public variables of the same actor.

Following the above steps should hopefully solve the problems you are having.
    Last edited by Monokkel; 05-07-2015, 10:59 AM.
    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

In the old version of ATBTT, you can change the camera maximum zoom from the camera blueprint by changing the relative public variable value.
      I think that on new version you can change the same variable value.

Edit:
      Sorry Monokkel, I didn't saw your reply.
      Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical Game
      STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Arcane_Legacy/
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/arcanelegacyofficial/
      FB: https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneLegacy/
      WEB: http://www.arcanelegacy.com

Comment

Yep, that did it. The spring arm thing is super obvious upon retrospect, too. That one's on me. Thanks again!

Comment

@WisdomHELLy: Don't worry about it. Thanks for covering for me Maybe I should do something to make the camera options more visible again, now that the camera does not need to be placed. I could create an optional override for the camera public variables in the Grid Manager.

@WisdomHELLy: No worries. Glad it worked!

Discord

Comment

Thought I'd show off one of the things I'm working on, since I just got it working like intended: XCOM-style movement borders

Click image for larger version

Name:	8kNEAFo.png
Views:	1
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	1075985

I've got lots of other stuff in the works as well, but I'm pretty excited about this one. Not only does it allow for some cool options for visualizing movement, but storing the edges of the tiles in movement range allows for a few other cool features. Like I said, so much more to come.

Discord

Comment

@Monokkel This looks awesome dude. Looking forward to it. Does it work with sloped tiles like the ones you showed in one of your recent videos?
              Anyways actually I think this implementation is better looking than XCOM's. They draw it through the middle of the tile causing it to have sharp turns in certain types of edges.
              Unreal Possibilities
              Wave Spawning System [50% OFF] | Tower Defense Starter Kit [50% OFF] | Grid Creation Systems [50% OFF]

Comment

@Stormrage256: Thanks! Hearing it's better than my inspiration is the highest for of praise Getting it working with decals is fairly trivial. Using it for maps with height that do not use height maps is a bit more tricky, however. The current implementation uses a flat border of several instanced static meshes. If these are different in height, the border will break. It should be possible to remedy this with rotation, but not for all types of maps.

Discord

Comment

I can't wait for this to work with 4.7! Once it's working, It's an insta-buy from me
                  KITATUS
                  "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
                    I can't wait for this to work with 4.7! Once it's working, It's an insta-buy from me
                    Great to hear, but it should already work with 4.7. Where does it say otherwise? Have I forgot to change some text?

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                      Great to hear, but it should already work with 4.7. Where does it say otherwise? Have I forgot to change some text?
                      Darn! I meant to say 4.8 - One of my friends I was talking to was telling me that it has a few bugs in 4.8 (Which is understandable, I mean preview #1 has only just come out) - Something about players / enemies constantly resetting to tile #1 and just getting warnings from the Blueprint. I don't have the conversation on hand but I think that was the general gist of things.
                      KITATUS

Comment

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I haven't generally tried to make the toolkit compatible with preview builds, since everything is subject to change. I'll look into it when I have the time, though. The solution is probably simple.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                          Ok, thanks for the heads up. I haven't generally tried to make the toolkit compatible with preview builds, since everything is subject to change. I'll look into it when I have the time, though. The solution is probably simple.
                          Just bought it! Hoping to help you track it down; I know things change all the time in preview; But it wouldn't hurt tweaking stuff now for you if I find it.

What I've noticed is as lot of the casts are now invalid. I assume this is a different way casts now work (Which is going to confuse the heck out of me!) - But I also think that the problem of every pawn and enemy is having problems with spline generation.

If I understand it, (I haven't dug into your code too much at the moment!), You're drawing a spline to the tile the mouse clicked and then moving the player there. For what I can see, the spline isn't being drawn and is stuck in it's default state at tile 1.
                          KITATUS

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
                            Something about players / enemies constantly resetting to tile #1 and just getting warnings from the Blueprint.
                            Looks like I wasn't crazy! Someone else has experienced that obscure bug I only witnessed once XD

Comment

Originally posted by VFe View Post
                              Looks like I wasn't crazy! Someone else has experienced that obscure bug I only witnessed once XD
                              I'm experiencing it too; So that counts as three people :P
                              KITATUS

Comment

Like you've suggested, a cast is probably not working and is returning 0 (false), which is the first index of the grid arrays. Unfortunately I'm at a conference, and won't be back for a few days, so I can't check it out. By all means try to figure it out before then, but if not you should probably just use 4.7 for now.

Discord

Comment

Working...
                                X