[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LDodds View Post
    Would I be putting that in Grid Manager, Tile Parent or separate Grid Actors for each different terrain?
    That depends on how you are choosing the terrain initially. If you are placing the terrain based on a procedural method you would populate the terrain TMap as part of this function. If you are choosing terrain manually by placing down tiles the terrain type should be placed in each such tile or grid actor. GridActors automatically set their grid index, so populating a terrain TMap would be as simple as looping through all actors of this type, getting their terrain enum value and entering it into the TMap at the GridActor's grid index.

Note that if every tile in your game has a terrain type then placing individual tile actors for each which has a separate static mesh is not very efficient. If you have a fairly large map I would instead probably create a new, invisible actor that only holds the terrain value. At startup you could loop through all these actors and convert their location to a grid index then and there. If you have one type of terrain that is "default" and a lot more common than other terrain types you can also consider having this be represented by not having a value in your terrain map. Say that 50% or more of your tiles are grass. If this is the case you can save on memory by not storing this in the map, but instead treating a nonexistent key in the terrain array as a grass tile.
    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

Hello, i just picked up your tile kit as a fledgling programmer. I have this idea to do a massive world built on a tile based grid. I had the thought to do dynamic loading/unloading of grids... but im not exactly sure how to go about it. I figure the easiest way would be to set up a blueprint to load adjacent master_grid blueprints, and unload ones further out, but im having an issue getting characters to move between master_grids. do you have any suggestions? is this even possible? or do you suggest a different way to build a grid based open world?

Comment

Heya Knut, I mentioned you for the Polycount artist nominations of this year.

https://polycount.com/discussion/com...omment_2665031

Tech developers and programmers are totally accepted in the category, and I know you deserve it, so there's that. If nothing else, maybe it'll make one or two guys more google you and buy your content. If I got any of the facts wrong, please let me know Have a nice day.
        Artstation | 3D Artist | Krakow

Comment

Hello, I'm considering buying and would like to ask a few questions if it's ok.
          Im a nooby for programing, but am a production artist and I would like to goof around and make a classic roguelike similar to your 2d example except with 3d tiles featuring 2 lvls of height.
          Would your awesome toolkit be able to accommodate these things?
          I'm well aware that your development goes more in a direction of xcom similar strategy that's why I'm asking. Then there's attributes and skills - at what lvl is that supported?
          And another one, is the unity store turn based toolkit also yours? If so, are they at the same lvl of development?
          Thank you a lot for your time, and happy holidays
          Can't wait to play around with your toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Paladin91 View Post
            Hello, i just picked up your tile kit as a fledgling programmer. I have this idea to do a massive world built on a tile based grid. I had the thought to do dynamic loading/unloading of grids... but im not exactly sure how to go about it. I figure the easiest way would be to set up a blueprint to load adjacent master_grid blueprints, and unload ones further out, but im having an issue getting characters to move between master_grids. do you have any suggestions? is this even possible? or do you suggest a different way to build a grid based open world?
            Hi there. The toolkit is not built with massive, continuous worlds in mind so if this is your end goal you will need to to quite a bit of modification. The best approach depends a lot on the requirements of your game. This is also not something I have tested myself, so my suggestions of what will work best is based on a fair amount of guesswork.

If your game world is real time and free-roaming until combat begins (like in Fallout 1 or 2, for instance) then you can have movement controlled through some other means and when combat starts, place down a grid manager encompassing the combatants, running grid setup, adding the units to the grid and starting combat. For large grids or if the grid manager uses a lot of procedural grid building options this might cause you to drop a few frames, though, so manual conversion of startup functions to C++ would be recommended.

Other options might be possible depending on your requirements. How is your world built? Do you have multiple overlapping levels? What is the maximum movement and range of units in your game? Is it important that units can keep moving to any tile anywhere on the map even after turn based combat has started? Do you need to be able to display the entire map at any time for the player to look through?

I would probably not recommend trying this if you're just starting out as a programmer or with UE4 generally, but I might be wrong, of course. It might be that you can achieve your desired results through only moderate modification of the toolkit, or you might have to build a lot of it from scratch. A bit hard to tell beforehand, unfortunately. This is the sort of thing I would want to test out personally if I had more time, but time is in very short supply for me at the moment. Let me know if you make any progress or have any additional questions.

Originally posted by Justo View Post
            Heya Knut, I mentioned you for the Polycount artist nominations of this year.

https://polycount.com/discussion/com...omment_2665031

Tech developers and programmers are totally accepted in the category, and I know you deserve it, so there's that. If nothing else, maybe it'll make one or two guys more google you and buy your content. If I got any of the facts wrong, please let me know Have a nice day.
            Thanks, that is very kind of you Justo You got the name sloghtly wrong with Advanced Turn Based Grid Toolkit instead of Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit, but that is my bad for choosing such a horrible name in the first place. There is a story to why the name is so bad and I regret the choice daily

Originally posted by Arakdai View Post
            Hello, I'm considering buying and would like to ask a few questions if it's ok.
            Im a nooby for programing, but am a production artist and I would like to goof around and make a classic roguelike similar to your 2d example except with 3d tiles featuring 2 lvls of height.
            Would your awesome toolkit be able to accommodate these things?
            I'm well aware that your development goes more in a direction of xcom similar strategy that's why I'm asking. Then there's attributes and skills - at what lvl is that supported?
            And another one, is the unity store turn based toolkit also yours? If so, are they at the same lvl of development?
            Thank you a lot for your time, and happy holidays
            Can't wait to play around with your toolkit
            Hello there! Although the examples used in the toolkit lean toward an XCOM-style I have always tried to develop it with all sorts of grid and turn based games mind, so it should hopefully suit your needs. The ability system is created both as a system for abilities that can be activated, but also as a practical way to encapsulate and make modular AI and other game functionality. It should be a good fit for most abilities that are activated and have explicit effects. For a skill like say, persuasion, that simply confers a bonus to some game aspect that all characters can do you can get away with just using simple variables or data tables.

Turn Based Toolkit in Unity is made from a different developer so I can't be sure when it comes to what features it has.

Discord

Comment

No problem Knut, I edited the comment to change the name. Also I think it's a descriptive and fitting name :]

Christmas update on my own stuff: I managed to make my CharacterPawnBP spawn a unit (BP_Unit_Anim_Adv_Heavy for now) in its place before finally deleting itself when entering turn-based combat! Then all units can move, fire and reach win/lose condition normally. I'm so happy.

To do this, I delayed the ActivateATBTT event in Game mode to start only when this unit is spawned, by casting to the game mode from my CharacterPawnBP, before deleting itself. It seems to work just fine, though I wonder if you guys think this is not an efficient or organized-enough solution of solving this? The casting, I mean.

Merry Xmas too! Eat chocolate or fck or spend it with your loved ones guys. Or do all three!
              Artstation | 3D Artist | Krakow

Comment

Hello,
                I see that everybody is calling you by your name here. So please excuse me for doing so as well.
                I have bought your toolkit just few days ago. Iam absolutly new to the whole programing scene but i have strong vision and need to make my own game. Unfortunetly as i said my experience is almost zero. I know that you have a lot of work with your school in these months but i would realy want to ask you for some new tutorials. Since you are working with features that i know nothing about i am almost incapable to improvise and try my own stuff. That means that i need as much data as i can get straight from the source )

Well, i hope that you are doing great, thank you for this toolkit and please some more tutorials.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Justo View Post
                  No problem Knut, I edited the comment to change the name. Also I think it's a descriptive and fitting name :]

Christmas update on my own stuff: I managed to make my CharacterPawnBP spawn a unit (BP_Unit_Anim_Adv_Heavy for now) in its place before finally deleting itself when entering turn-based combat! Then all units can move, fire and reach win/lose condition normally. I'm so happy.

To do this, I delayed the ActivateATBTT event in Game mode to start only when this unit is spawned, by casting to the game mode from my CharacterPawnBP, before deleting itself. It seems to work just fine, though I wonder if you guys think this is not an efficient or organized-enough solution of solving this? The casting, I mean.

Merry Xmas too! Eat chocolate or fck or spend it with your loved ones guys. Or do all three!
                  Well, the name I gave it is at least descriptive :P Since I'm selling to developers and not the general public this might not be too bad.

Happy to hear you got the character/unit combo working! As for your solution with casting, I think that sounds okay. Casting is mostly an issue if you want to do it repeatedly, every tick or more often. Casting once is no problem. Might not be super "elegant", but I don't see any problems with it.

Happy Yuletide to you and all! I've had to work every day on my thesis, but I managed to squeeze in an evening on the 24th to eat fatty food, drink aquavit and sing carols around the Christmas tree

Discord

Comment

Hey! sorry i didnt reply just been exploring the toolkit and experimenting.
                    Started also looking at custom Abilities and Status, was trying to find a good way of having them to also be able to affect the caster.
                    E.g. The Heal ability can also be used to heal the caster, when I noticed there is a variable in Ability called "Can Target Self" but upon further investigation it doesnt work. Is this the same for your version yet to be implemented or have I missed something?

Thanks!

Comment

Not sure if someone asked it already but what is the best way to block unit's attack range if there's another unit between the current unit and current unit's target?
                      I need for units to be able to block attack range of each other but I've encountered 2 problems here.
                      The first problem is when AI picks as a valid target the unit it shouldn't be able to attack in a case another unit stands between the current AI unit and its target.
                      The second problem is that AI picks the tile it it shouldn't be able to attack the target from (in a case another unit stands between the current AI unit and its target) as a valid tile from which it can attack its target.
                      Tried to add range trace blocking to the pawns (deactivated on current unit activation to prevent self-blocking of traces) but that does not help much because:
                      1. If the trace is blocked by a friendly unit the current AI unit does not pick enemy unit as a target even if it is able to reach it by taking a detour.
                      2. I cannot see red attack tiles under enemy pawns if I want to use the skill of my own unit on them.

I was able to make a workaround for AI picking valid targets by pathfinding check. But I still do not know how to find correct tiles with actual sight to target (not blocked by another pawn).

upd: it is pretty **** hard to figure with current setup. Range trace check for the tile with sight to target starts from target pawn (which is not current pawn) so I have to block-deblock range trace for all potential targets during the check for all tiles with sight to target.
                      Last edited by ClaimedInfinity; 12-29-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LDodds View Post
                        Hey! sorry i didnt reply just been exploring the toolkit and experimenting.
                        Started also looking at custom Abilities and Status, was trying to find a good way of having them to also be able to affect the caster.
                        E.g. The Heal ability can also be used to heal the caster, when I noticed there is a variable in Ability called "Can Target Self" but upon further investigation it doesnt work. Is this the same for your version yet to be implemented or have I missed something?

Thanks!
                        Hmm, it should be possible by default, but I have not tested it in a while. I will not have the time to test it for a few days either, but here is how I would check it: Add a break point to the server click event of the heal ability, click the unit that possesses it and follow the execution chain to see what happens. If it does not fire. examine the steps of the player activate part of BP_Ability and see how it sorts through unit indexes. I will take a closer look when I have the time, but I'm afraid I cannot make any promises for the immediate future, as the next few weeks are promising to be the most exhausting in my life so far, as I'm rushing to finish my thesis. After it is done I should have more time than I've had for almost a year, though.

Originally posted by ClaimedInfinity View Post
                        Not sure if someone asked it already but what is the best way to block unit's attack range if there's another unit between the current unit and current unit's target?
                        I need for units to be able to block attack range of each other but I've encountered 2 problems here.
                        The first problem is when AI picks as a valid target the unit it shouldn't be able to attack in a case another unit stands between the current AI unit and its target.
                        The second problem is that AI picks the tile it it shouldn't be able to attack the target from (in a case another unit stands between the current AI unit and its target) as a valid tile from which it can attack its target.
                        Tried to add range trace blocking to the pawns (deactivated on current unit activation to prevent self-blocking of traces) but that does not help much because:
                        1. If the trace is blocked by a friendly unit the current AI unit does not pick enemy unit as a target even if it is able to reach it by taking a detour.
                        2. I cannot see red attack tiles under enemy pawns if I want to use the skill of my own unit on them.

I was able to make a workaround for AI picking valid targets by pathfinding check. But I still do not know how to find correct tiles with actual sight to target (not blocked by another pawn).

upd: it is pretty **** hard to figure with current setup. Range trace check for the tile with sight to target starts from target pawn (which is not current pawn) so I have to block-deblock range trace for all potential targets during the check for all tiles with sight to target.
                        Yeah, you're right that this is fairly tricky thanks to how the toolkit is set up. It is made a bit trickier thanks to one bit of the toolkit that is a bit janky. The main complicating factor is that when actions are simulated happens instantly, while when things are animated it happens over time (and after things have been simulated). This is normally not an issue since almost everything important is calculated within the arrays of the grid manager without reference to the game world.

The exception to this is visibility, which is done in the game world using line traces as this is more flexible, simpler and for blueprints more performant than calculating it using grid math. This is normally not an issue, but if you have parts of the map that might change visibility for the map within an action, such as moving units that can block visibility it might become an issue. I solved this is the grenade ability by spawning collision capsules in place of units for a single frame while finding targets for the ability.

However, I don't think this is what is the issue in your case, from your description. Just something to keep in mind when you expand upon this.

I did answer a similar question in this thread a few pages back. Try to follow the steps I provide there and see if you still run into problems. Make sure to follow the entire discussion I had with Lexx and not just the first few answers: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...17#post1536817

Discord

Comment

hi everyone

happy new year for you all

cheers

leo

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                            I did answer a similar question in this thread a few pages back. Try to follow the steps I provide there and see if you still run into problems. Make sure to follow the entire discussion I had with Lexx and not just the first few answers: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...17#post1536817
                            Great, I'll read it. It seems I found a somehow hacky solution just now. I've added a box blocking range trace to all pawns and modified all the needed functions containing Line Trace by Channel by adding "Actors to Ignore" there (whichin my case are the pawns that "radiate" line traces). That is for finding valid tiles. For picking AI targets I'm using pathfinding. Seems to be working but needs testing.
                            Last edited by ClaimedInfinity; 12-29-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, I've run into an issue that I can't seem to find an answer for, so maybe someone here can help. I've got the toolkit running with a random dungeon generator I made. I have predefined rooms (as Blueprint Actors), and each contains a BP_Subgrid with the exception of my Entry room, which hold the BP_Grid_Manager. When I run the game, I'm able to cross over rooms (and thus into the subgrids) just fine, up to a point. It seems that 30 tiles away from the start point, I can not move further, usually stopping me halfway thru a subgrid. In my testing its always 30 tiles end-end (or roughly 6000 units). Any thoughts?

Comment

Love the toolkit, but i have a problem with spawning units at runtime. They get created and everything, even have the right grid index and they are represented on the initiative bar, but nothing is happening during their turn. They do not move.
                                Is it enough to spawn actor on the tile or is there some additional configuration that is required to make this work?

EDIT:
                                after some digging
                                it sseems that the problem is with the ability system's begin play, in second pin of sequence there is some wierd loop after that, why is this whole setup neccesary? You create just one instance of each ability in the character controller instead of having every instance of ability actor per component?
                                Last edited by Illusive_S; 01-02-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X