No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Monokkel, I have a problem when adding shields on units, (shields are set up exactly like the health bar etc. ) added shield damage in the advanced map laser ability added a pin on the floats array going to "queue action" added a print string all ok to there..in the BP_Unit at break FAction I get an error (Attempted to access index 1 from array Floats...of length 1) when "get reference" to float array 1 and remains at zero and if "get copy" there is no error and remains at zero. no rush on this not a big problem I think I will try an integer..

Disregard this..my fault, found more that needed modifying..got it to work
    Last edited by Skulldug; 10-15-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skulldug View Post
      Hello Monokkel, I have a problem when adding shields on units, (shields are set up exactly like the health bar etc. ) added shield damage in the advanced map laser ability added a pin on the floats array going to "queue action" added a print string all ok to there..in the BP_Unit at break FAction I get an error (Attempted to access index 1 from array Floats...of length 1) when "get reference" to float array 1 and remains at zero and if "get copy" there is no error and remains at zero. no rush on this not a big problem I think I will try an integer..

Disregard this..my fault, found more that needed modifying..got it to work
      Glad to hear you got it working, as it sounded like you did everything right from the description.
      Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

I had to set damage from array somewhere else, can't remember where (and found that just after I posted here..ba ha)..I have been watching your progress on Trello, looks like your cruising along fairly well. I am looking forward to the next update and maybe some news when approx. it might be out..
        Having sooo much fun with ATBTT things are coming along here good. I know your busy and thanks for working on this when you have the time.
        Last edited by Skulldug; 10-15-2018, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Hey Monokkel,

I'd like to remove the combat feature completely (the red tiles). How do I do that? In which blueprint is the combat located?
          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Skulldug View Post
            I had to set damage from array somewhere else, can't remember where (and found that just after I posted here..ba ha)..I have been watching your progress on Trello, looks like your cruising along fairly well. I am looking forward to the next update and maybe some news when approx. it might be out..
            Having sooo much fun with ATBTT things are coming along here good. I know your busy and thanks for working on this when you have the time.
            Good to hear you're having fun! I'm fiddling with the toolkit every now and then to take a break from the thesis work, so you'll see sporadic changes in the Trello every now and then.

Originally posted by siryazan View Post
            Hey Monokkel,

I'd like to remove the combat feature completely (the red tiles). How do I do that? In which blueprint is the combat located?
            Thank you
            It is defined in the abilities of the units. If you switch out the default abilities of your units from BP_Ability_MoveAttack to BP_Ability_Move you should get the result you want.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
              It is defined in the abilities of the units. If you switch out the default abilities of your units from BP_Ability_MoveAttack to BP_Ability_Move you should get the result you want.
              Thank you!

Comment

Hi Knut,

I bought your toolkit some days ago and it's working really well so far. I just have a few questions I hope you'll have an answer (whenever you find some time I know you're busy! )

I want to make a turn based game using a hex grid featuring two teams of about 4 units fighting (all good so far) What I need to add is:
                -Walking costing only "move points"(the move value of a unit) and not AP, and available at anytime of turn (for example: move -> attack -> move to cover)
                -Being able to use multiple abilities in the same turn (I think there is a way already but when I try using an ability costing 1AP with 3AP available, my AP is set to 0 and my turn automatically ends.)
                -Using a custom animation for the skeletal mesh for each ability (i guess I have to add a bool ref to an anim bool inside the abilityBP?)

An example of a turn I would like to be possible: [move out of cover(-2 MovePoint); attack1(-2AP); go near ally unit (-4MP); healing on both allies (-3AP); end of turn]

Do you know how I could achieve such features or at least where I should look? Thank you very much for your help and good luck on your work,

Grégoire

Comment

Originally posted by siryazan View Post

Thank you!
                  No worries

Discord

Comment

Hi Monokkel!

This Toolkit is becoming more amazing everyday, that's great

However, as you probably remember, we are working with the v1.82 version of the Toolkit and we are going so far with the new ability system, networked multiplayer and so on.
                    Thanks again for what you did also for a first version customer like us

Right now we want to add some features to Arcane Legacy:

1) Tutorial Mode vs AI
                    This is like every tutorial you ever seen in your gameplay life: action is suddenly stopped, an UMG overlay with instructions on what you should do next appears and you have to follow that instructions to go ahead, move you character, attack, summon a servant, cast a spell, etc.
                    As the creator of the Toolkit, how do you think how to achieve such a thing? Is it possible to create a New Game Mode with different rules without breaking everything?
                    Or is it better to achieve this through modifications on the Game State?

2) Scenario Mode
                    We are planning to add single player campaigns to our game based on single scenario templates like XCOM.
                    Protect a Priest, Resist 30 turns against an horde of enemies, find an artifact in a dungeon etc.
                    So... even in this case from a Toolkit side of view, what is the best option to have multiple scenario rules? The main rule of the game is to defeat the enemy archmage in a duel, but we like to add different winning conditions. In v1.82 version, the winning condition is triggered by BP_Unit. This of course cannot work in scenarios like above. I thought to check a variable (IsDuel) and eventually skip the winning condition on the BP_Unit, but then, where you think is the best point to inject the different winning conditions? Is a good idea to have a different GameMode?

Thanks for the patience and thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
                    Helly
                    Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical Game
                    STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Arcane_Legacy/
                    IG: https://www.instagram.com/arcanelegacyofficial/
                    FB: https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneLegacy/
                    WEB: http://www.arcanelegacy.com

Comment

Hey, Wisom-HELLy, glad to see you've got a demo up on steam I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Originally posted by Wisdom-HELLy View Post
                      1) Tutorial Mode vs AI
                      This is like every tutorial you ever seen in your gameplay life: action is suddenly stopped, an UMG overlay with instructions on what you should do next appears and you have to follow that instructions to go ahead, move you character, attack, summon a servant, cast a spell, etc.
                      As the creator of the Toolkit, how do you think how to achieve such a thing? Is it possible to create a New Game Mode with different rules without breaking everything?
                      Or is it better to achieve this through modifications on the Game State?
                      Well, the function of the game mode in ATBTT is currently to handle the order blueprints are set up, as well as players joining, while the game state is just used as a singleton for accessing other singletons. You are free to modify these, of course, but you should keep most of what is there, as the rest of the toolkit is dependent on it. So if you want to create a new mode or state, you should either duplicate the old ones or use child blueprints. I have not done anything like what you describe myself yet, but from a quick search I can see that there are several discussions on pausing the game when within a menu, such as an inventory system etc. So if that is what you're after you could do something like that. Pause the game, show your custom tutorial UMG and resume when the player gives the appropriate input.

2) Scenario Mode
                      We are planning to add single player campaigns to our game based on single scenario templates like XCOM.
                      Protect a Priest, Resist 30 turns against an horde of enemies, find an artifact in a dungeon etc.
                      So... even in this case from a Toolkit side of view, what is the best option to have multiple scenario rules? The main rule of the game is to defeat the enemy archmage in a duel, but we like to add different winning conditions. In v1.82 version, the winning condition is triggered by BP_Unit. This of course cannot work in scenarios like above. I thought to check a variable (IsDuel) and eventually skip the winning condition on the BP_Unit, but then, where you think is the best point to inject the different winning conditions? Is a good idea to have a different GameMode?
                      This basically just boils down to checking whether a condition has been met at any point where the relevant variables have been changed, and ending the game if it is true. By default I want to end the game when only one faction remains. Every time a unit dies there is a possibility that only one faction remains, which is why I check this condition within BP_Unit, where unit death is handled. For your other conditions you would do similar checks at whatever point is appropriate. For your 30 turn limit, for instance, you could check the value of current turn whenever it is incremented, and end the game when it reaches thirty. So the question is what is the best way to implement something like this which is easy to work with. One way would be to have multiple child blueprints of the game mode or game state that each implement different overridden versions of an IsGameOver function. Another would be to have all of these options contained within a single function, where the type of condition that is checked is defined by an enum. In both these cases you could then run the generic IsGameOver function in all parts of the toolkit where any of your victory conditions could be met (you should be able to avoid ever using an event tick for this in a turn based game).

Thanks for the patience and thanks in advance for the help.
                      Happy to help

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                        Lexx : There is likely still a place in the AI logic that checks for visibility the old way. Search through the nodes in the Assess Ability Value part of BP_Ability for line traces for visibility and modify them as with CheckIfTileIsVisible. If it still does not work, come back to me and I will look into it when I have the time.
                        HI Monokkel! I still can't fix AI behaviour. Can you help pls? My suggestion the problem somewhere in BP_gridManager > Find tiles in move range with sight to target. Thanks!

Comment

Question, how would one go about extending this to allow units to move in 3d space; I.E. Straight up or down ala flying such as the Jetpack Units in X-Com

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx View Post

HI Monokkel! I still can't fix AI behaviour. Can you help pls? My suggestion the problem somewhere in BP_gridManager > Find tiles in move range with sight to target. Thanks!
                            Hey Lexx, that seems like a likely candidate function. You should proabably be able to get the result you want by doing the same checks after the line traces in this function as I suggested for for the regular FindTilesInRange. Could you paste a screenshot of how you've modified it so far? Then I can see what you might have done wrong.

Originally posted by Alkahest View Post
                            Question, how would one go about extending this to allow units to move in 3d space; I.E. Straight up or down ala flying such as the Jetpack Units in X-Com
                            This depends a lot on what exactly you want to achieve. There are various flight mechanics implemented differently in the XCOM and X-Com games so I have to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Could you explain in more detail what you want so I don't answer the wrong question? Do you want the unit to be able to occupy distinct increments up in the air over a tile? Can there be another unit standing beneath it when it is flying? Can there be multiple flying units all occupying separate height increments above and below one another? Can the unit move around to new tiles while keeping the same height, or does it have to land first? All of these things are factors that will make the implementation more complex so consider what you really need.

Discord

Comment

Basically the answer to all of those questions is yes. The unit should be able to go above other units including other units in the air, and can go in an arbitrary direction while in air. I imagine it as instead of a grid, it's a cube that you can move to an arbitrary sub-cube inside it. If that makes sense.

Comment

Monokkel, what resources would you recommend me for learning more advanced-level Blueprints knowledge required to work with this toolkit? I've been looking during the past weeks, but what I found is nowhere near the complexity of your powerful powwwerful stuff. Oh and, I do have some basic-to-intermediate programming knowledge in C++ and other scripting languages, but when it comes to understanding complex graphs like these, I'm usually dumbfounded.
                                Last edited by Justo; 10-22-2018, 08:58 AM.
                                Artstation | 3D Artist | Krakow

Comment

Working...
                                X