No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you still want to try this, the general approach would be to delay running actions in the action manager until all moves have been selected and then running the actions while enabling the bWithPrevious boolean. That is just the first step, though, and it would certainly require heavily rewriting the ability system and turn manager. It might be complicated enough that it would be a better idea to build a project from scratch and port over the ATBTT functionality you need as you go along.
    Ahh really appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. I've gotten much further along now, even have a movement planning phase although it's not entirely working yet.

I'm trying to mod the template as non destructively as possible by subclassing everything and not messing with the original core files. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible with the turn manager since many blueprints refer to that directly.

Comment

It looks like in the Jungle Raid sample map that the game locks up if you kill the active unit with an overwatch attack.

Comment

Originally posted by leo bar View Post
        hi Monokkel

I am aware of the time limit available to you, I'll just be happy if you can give Estimated times (more or less) For the following questions:

1. When do you think there will be tutorial(support) videos (I make substantial changes to your system and would like to understand more thoroughly how everything is built and I find it very difficult with the old videos that are no longer relevant)

2. When to evaluate you will add "Make generic solution for animating actions happening during movement". For this is something I really need and misses?

Thanks in advance
        Hey Leo, time is indeed a very limited resource these days, and it will become more and more difficult to find time to work on the toolkit until December, when my thesis is due. After that things should return back to normal. Because of this I will certainly not be releasing another large feature update until well after Christmas. And when it comes to the "Make generic solution for animating actions happening during movement" card, that is something that is very hard to know when will be done. That point is more on the list of something I would like to do at some point, but I have not thought of a good way to implement yet. When such a feature would be added would depend on when and if I'm able to think of a good solution.

That being said there are several ways you can go about implementing actions within other actions already; just not a generic one. The most simple is to call actions within other actions using the QueueAction node with "immediate" set to true (which will bypass the queue and play the action immediately). This works for some things, but is not ideal in other cases, where you have other options available. If you look at the overwatch ability in JungleRaid it is set up to activate at a certain point during movement using a combination of action queues and event dispatchers. Also, if you look in HydrasLair you can see that I implemented revealing tiles in the fog-of-war by splitting up the movement action over multiple actions (one per tile) for the player unit. If you describe to me what particular thing you are trying to implement I might be able to help you find a way to implement it.

As for tutorials, this is something I'm trying hard to make time for. I'm hoping to make a tutorial on the ability system before the end of this month, but I cannot make any promises. That is the tutorial I feel there is the most pressing need for, so I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible. It might very well be that I do not make any other tutorials until after Christmas.

I apologize that my support is not as good as it used to be, as time is in very short supply, but I'm trying to do my best.

Originally posted by mflux View Post

Ahh really appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. I've gotten much further along now, even have a movement planning phase although it's not entirely working yet.

I'm trying to mod the template as non destructively as possible by subclassing everything and not messing with the original core files. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible with the turn manager since many blueprints refer to that directly.
        Great, seems like you got the right idea How difficult this is going to be depends a lot on your implementation and how exactly you want the simultaneous turns to work out. The best way to go about this is probably for you to attempt it on your own and ask here if you get stuck. Since I have not tested this out myself my feedback will probably be most useful for solving specific problems you run into, rather than outlining a complete (and probably flawed and different than what you're after) solution for simultaneous turns. Best of luck!
        Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

hi Monokkel

You have nothing to apologize for, I have written in the past and will write again your support for the system (even with the lack of time you have) is exceptionally good for my opinion.
          And thank you for your answer, I will wait like others as much as necessary, for me (and I believe for others) any extra you give is a tremendous bonus and I can only say a lot of thanks.

As for "If you describe to me what particular thing you are trying to implement I might be able to help you find a way to implement it" I will definitely use it soon

best of luck with the thesis

Comment

Pretty happy so far with my progress! Indeed I had to pretty much rewrite all of Ability, Turn Manager, and Action Manager. So far so good for a first pass.

It's actually not too big of a hack. I created a new QueueParallelAction. The action manager, in addition to queued actions, will now play through a parallel actions track.

Still scratching my head at figuring out how to know when actions have finished playing since they take variable amount of time I'm assuming.

Comment

You mention you are low on time. I would like to recommend a Discord channel specific to the Toolkit. Then, we could help each other out sometimes rather than requesting direct help. Unless you already have one; in which case, could I have a link?

Comment

Hi all, I managed to find the time to make some new tutorial videos. The first one was just uploaded to YouTube now. Another two should be added later today.

Originally posted by Lachnor View Post
                It looks like in the Jungle Raid sample map that the game locks up if you kill the active unit with an overwatch attack.
                Sorry, seems like I ignore your comment. This is a bug I thought I had fixed. I guess some of the changes I did made it reappear. Thanks for letting me know. I will look into it.
                Originally posted by leo bar View Post
                hi Monokkel

You have nothing to apologize for, I have written in the past and will write again your support for the system (even with the lack of time you have) is exceptionally good for my opinion.
                And thank you for your answer, I will wait like others as much as necessary, for me (and I believe for others) any extra you give is a tremendous bonus and I can only say a lot of thanks.

As for "If you describe to me what particular thing you are trying to implement I might be able to help you find a way to implement it" I will definitely use it soon

best of luck with the thesis
                Thanks, I'm trying my best.

Pretty happy so far with my progress! Indeed I had to pretty much rewrite all of Ability, Turn Manager, and Action Manager. So far so good for a first pass.

It's actually not too big of a hack. I created a new QueueParallelAction. The action manager, in addition to queued actions, will now play through a parallel actions track.

Still scratching my head at figuring out how to know when actions have finished playing since they take variable amount of time I'm assuming.
                Looks great One of my hopes when adding the actions system was that implementing simultaneous turns would become easier. Since I have not had the time to test it out myself it is great to see that at least some aspects of it are relatively easy to set up. Looking forward to seeing your progress

You mention you are low on time. I would like to recommend a Discord channel specific to the Toolkit. Then, we could help each other out sometimes rather than requesting direct help. Unless you already have one; in which case, could I have a link?
                I'm low on time at the moment, but I always make the time to answer all questions. I've considered making a Discord channel, but at the moment I prefer keeping all the support in one place; namely this support thread. The conversation flow of a support thread rather than a Discord is more suited for bunching up all questions and answering them together when I have the time. With Discord I worry that I'd end up spending a lot more time providing support, which is something I enjoy doing, but I have a hard time justifying spending lots of time on until after Christmas. By that point I might reconsider making a channel.

Discord

Comment

Hey! I made an unofficial discord server we can hang out and help other out:

https://discord.gg/KUQ426s

Monokkel Feel free to PM me and I shall make you moderator/admin if you'd like.

Comment

I'm trying to make one with more-generic turns, where Player X uses any number of units (who haven't already gone this turn), in any order. Then the next player goes.

I think it lets me do this by default by turning off the initiative bar, but it also lets me (for instance) move Unit_1 without attacking, click Unit_2 and move Unit_2 without attacking, click Unit_1 again and he has full move again on the same turn.

In addition, when I have Unit_1 active and I click Unit_2, sometimes it moves Unit_2 one tile away in the direction the camera went (with one fewer action). Perhaps the camera movement is moving the mouse cursor?

Comment

Two more tutorials are up! One on the Turn Manger and one on the Ability System. The three new videos have a total runtime of over 2 hours. And here my original idea was to create smaller, bite-size tutorials, but oh well. These tutorals, named ATBTT Blueprints - [blueprint name] are my attempt to make something similar to my old, huge blueprint video from 3 years ago, but split up into different videos for each subsystem. These videos are pretty dry and not very creative, but they give a detailed walk-through of the blueprints which will hopefully be useful. I intend to eventually complement these videos with other tutorials that have practical examples of how to use the systems to add your own stuff to the toolkit.

Turn Manager:

Ability System:

Hey! I made an unofficial discord server we can hang out and help other out:

https://discord.gg/KUQ426s

Monokkel Feel free to PM me and I shall make you moderator/admin if you'd like.
                      Ok, cool. I'll join the discord, but cannot promise to spend much time there in the coming months.

I'm trying to make one with more-generic turns, where Player X uses any number of units (who haven't already gone this turn), in any order. Then the next player goes.

I think it lets me do this by default by turning off the initiative bar, but it also lets me (for instance) move Unit_1 without attacking, click Unit_2 and move Unit_2 without attacking, click Unit_1 again and he has full move again on the same turn.

In addition, when I have Unit_1 active and I click Unit_2, sometimes it moves Unit_2 one tile away in the direction the camera went (with one fewer action). Perhaps the camera movement is moving the mouse cursor?
                      Hmm, what you are describing should work by default, so something is not right here. Could you give me the steps to reproduce this bug? What ability are you using? What are the factions of the unit placed, what are their initiative values etc.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                        Hmm, what you are describing should work by default, so something is not right here. Could you give me the steps to reproduce this bug? What ability are you using? What are the factions of the unit placed, what are their initiative values etc.
                        I'm in the default setup, map name: Example. I have Use Initiative set to off. The 6 default guys are set to: 3 CPU enemy faction, 3 Player Controlled. Players are set to 101 or 100 init. AIs are set to 0. I can take infinite moves by not attacking. I'm not sure if moving is set as an ability?

Comment

Hi, I'm using the latest version of UE and when I use the Jungle Raid map there are no cover system icons. Is there a way to enable them to inform the player the cover system is active?

Comment

Hey man, thanks ALOT for the new tutorials! Will certainly be spending some time with these, 2 hours of packed logic might take some time to sink in
                            Cheers man!

Comment

I'm in the default setup, map name: Example. I have Use Initiative set to off. The 6 default guys are set to: 3 CPU enemy faction, 3 Player Controlled. Players are set to 101 or 100 init. AIs are set to 0. I can take infinite moves by not attacking. I'm not sure if moving is set as an ability?
                              Hmm, I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The initiative bar should not affect initiative order at all. There is no "Use Initiative" variable, only one for using the initiative bar, which is just for displaying the order. You are using the latest version and have not made any other changes to the example map? This is what I'm seeing:

Originally posted by Manamaster View Post
                              Hi, I'm using the latest version of UE and when I use the Jungle Raid map there are no cover system icons. Is there a way to enable them to inform the player the cover system is active?
                              Hmm, again not what I'm seeing on my side. Everything seems to be working fine. You've created a fresh ATBTT project and chosen 4.20 after CreateProject?

Originally posted by Mivke1 View Post
                              Hey man, thanks ALOT for the new tutorials! Will certainly be spending some time with these, 2 hours of packed logic might take some time to sink in
                              Cheers man!
                              No worries Still need to make plenty more, but hopefully this will be enough for a while.

Discord

Comment

Yup, I redownloaded and the problem disappeared. Sorry for the trouble. I must have had an old version.

Speaking of which, since there are new updates on the way, how can I best integrate them as they come?
                                Last edited by Lachnor; 08-21-2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X