No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I'm testing the toolkit and I'm trying to do the things shown in the 4th tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqVTbk-FEBU&t=440s) but for some reason the rotated tiles and the basic geometry stairs cannot be stepped on by the paws, the heightmap is in Multilevel (I've also tried with One Level and false and I get the same result), I ticked the decals to see if UE was recognizing the tiles and the stairs, but they aren't working properly.
    I've tried this in UE 4.17.2 and 4.20.0
    What can I do?
    I've also tried with a mesh I modeled on 3DS Max and it isn't recognized by UE, the grid is floating above the mesh (Where the pawn is located is where the grid is set).
    How can I fix this?

Comment

Hello. I am making a game using ATBT.
      I have one question for you.
      For the path of move. Is there any way I can move around with the attached screenshot?
      Attached Files

Comment

I gotta say: I've been making my last game inside Unity but after seeing this asset I've been looking more and more into UE4. Nothing on Unity's asset store comes close to what this marketplace item appears to offer in terms of features. I'll find one asset that does pathing and multi level floors, but then nothing in terms of AI or gameplay, then another asset will do the opposite and have units, obstacles, etc, but can't offer complex maps. I'm really close to just buying this asset and learning UE4 around it, but I know I need to learn the basics of the engine first.

This comment isn't so much as an ask for support as much as it's a comment on how well developed this asset looks. So good it's almost converted me from one engine to another.

Comment

hi rondmc
          I can not recommend you whether to switch engine or not ... but I can certainly tell you that this product is exceptional by any standard. This developer is undoubtedly a unique person who invests so much into his product out of true love for what he does - which leads to a super-winning product in my opinion.

Comment

Hi Monokkel,

New feature "big units out of experimental" which has been released in the new version of the toolkit 1.9 does change only the grid manager?
            Do you think is it possibile for us to upgrade to new version that implements big units by just migrating the Grid Manager or should we need to migrate the Turn Manager and other core blueprints?
            We are very interested on that feature but we are still suffering from the big migration to version 1.8 and we still didn't completed the migration yet.

Can you point us to the right direction to obtain the working big units feature without re-transporting all our project again?
            Also, we are interested in the work-around for transporting arrays with the action system correctly: should we transfer only the new Action Manager which has been untouched within our project?

Thanks in advance,
            Helly
            Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical Game
            STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Arcane_Legacy/
            IG: https://www.instagram.com/arcanelegacyofficial/
            FB: https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneLegacy/
            WEB: http://www.arcanelegacy.com

Comment

Aplogies to all for my delay in replying. I had a deadline at work that needed to be met. I'll get to your questions now.

Originally posted by Curiosichi View Post
              I am curious now the toolkit has been through your major 1.8 update and the project structure has been through its major change, what is your suggest method of upgrading 1.8 -> 1.9 in a working project? I had tightly integrated 1.7 and started adding custom functionality for multiplayer that I never expected you to add. Now you added it in 1.8 we decided a major overhaul of our project was due.

I dropped your new 1.8 project as a folder in the root of my project directory and started recreating child blueprints, but it seems you've changed a few more files and their parent to child relationships in 1.9. I would love the ability to reference your library and continue updating it in my project as you make improvements and add functionality, but it would be a lot of effort to keep reintegrating the toolkit every update if my childblue prints are then referencing the wrong blueprint.

tldr: how do we set up our projects and update our projects to best maintain compatibility going forward?
              ​​​​​
              I think my suggested method of upgrading is to manually move the changes you have made to a fresh ATBTT project. I know this is a bit of a pain, but since you presumably have a better overview over your own additions than of my toolkit you are less likely to break something that way. This update is likely the last transformative update I'm going to make in a long time. Future updates will be more about adding features, which should be easier to add individually to a project. Since this update changed some fundamental stuff when it comes to the abilities and turn order, transferring these features would almost certainly be more difficult than the other way around. Sorry about that, but my priority is always to make the toolkit as good as I possibly can, and sometimes that is difficult to reconcile with keeping it easy to update.

Originally posted by Manamaster View Post
              Hi, I'm testing the toolkit and I'm trying to do the things shown in the 4th tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqVTbk-FEBU&t=440s) but for some reason the rotated tiles and the basic geometry stairs cannot be stepped on by the paws, the heightmap is in Multilevel (I've also tried with One Level and false and I get the same result), I ticked the decals to see if UE was recognizing the tiles and the stairs, but they aren't working properly.
              I've tried this in UE 4.17.2 and 4.20.0
              What can I do?
              I've also tried with a mesh I modeled on 3DS Max and it isn't recognized by UE, the grid is floating above the mesh (Where the pawn is located is where the grid is set).
              How can I fix this?
              Hmm, this is odd. My guess is that collision is not set up correctly for your mesh. To test this, does the heightmap functionality work properly when using the static meshes uncluded with UE4? If so, check out UE4's guide on importing static meshes. If it does not work with UE4's regular statc meshes either, get back to me and I will figure out how you've set it up wrong.

Originally posted by jh0620 View Post
              Hello. I am making a game using ATBT.
              I have one question for you.
              For the path of move. Is there any way I can move around with the attached screenshot?
              Are you talking about setting up checkpoints? This should be possible with some work. What you essentially want to do is that when you click to place the first checkpoint you move the unit in the grid array without actually moving the mesh. Then you run pathfinding from that new tile. When you place a new checkpoint you store the grid indexes of the old path and append them to the new one. You could do this by using the SimulateMove function in GridManager. Then finally, when you have placed all your checkpoints and want to actually move you take your newly appended array of grid indexes (that makes up your path), convert it to vectors (the same way as it is done after SimulateMovement is done in BP_Unit) and input this into a queued move action, also like in BP_Unit. This is a bit tricky to do, so I would only recommend trying this if you have had some practice working with my toolkit already.

Originally posted by RonDMC View Post
              I gotta say: I've been making my last game inside Unity but after seeing this asset I've been looking more and more into UE4. Nothing on Unity's asset store comes close to what this marketplace item appears to offer in terms of features. I'll find one asset that does pathing and multi level floors, but then nothing in terms of AI or gameplay, then another asset will do the opposite and have units, obstacles, etc, but can't offer complex maps. I'm really close to just buying this asset and learning UE4 around it, but I know I need to learn the basics of the engine first.

This comment isn't so much as an ask for support as much as it's a comment on how well developed this asset looks. So good it's almost converted me from one engine to another.
              Originally posted by leo bar View Post
              hi rondmc
              I can not recommend you whether to switch engine or not ... but I can certainly tell you that this product is exceptional by any standard. This developer is undoubtedly a unique person who invests so much into his product out of true love for what he does - which leads to a super-winning product in my opinion.
              Thanks Leo This is indeed a passion project for me and I'm glad that it shows. RonDMC: You'll of course have to figure out for yourself what engine you want to choose, but I'm honored that my toolkit has such a big impact on your decision. I would recommend going with the engine you most enjoy developing on. Even though you will get a lot out of the box with my toolkit it is a long road from a fresh ATBTT project and a finished game, so choose the engine that you think will be the most enjoyable to work with. I'm personally a huge fan of Unreal Engine and enjoy its workflow much more than Unity. I could argue for hours about why I feel Unreal is superior, but I'm sure you could get similar but opposing tiraded if you asked around on Unity foorums, so I grudgingly admit that a lot of it comes down to taste

Originally posted by Wisdom-HELLy View Post
              Hi Monokkel,

New feature "big units out of experimental" which has been released in the new version of the toolkit 1.9 does change only the grid manager?
              Do you think is it possibile for us to upgrade to new version that implements big units by just migrating the Grid Manager or should we need to migrate the Turn Manager and other core blueprints?
              We are very interested on that feature but we are still suffering from the big migration to version 1.8 and we still didn't completed the migration yet.

Can you point us to the right direction to obtain the working big units feature without re-transporting all our project again?
              Also, we are interested in the work-around for transporting arrays with the action system correctly: should we transfer only the new Action Manager which has been untouched within our project?

Thanks in advance,
              Helly
              Hmm, it is hard to keep all the changes in my head, but yes, I think the big unit stuff mostly comes down to the grid manager. There are also some smaller changes in BP_Unit and some of the abilities. The big unit system is actually mostly the same as the last version. The main changes was increasing the max unit size and adding hex grid support. In the abilities I added some changes to prevent AI unit from treating all tiles occuptied by a big unit as separate units, in order to improve performance, and some consistency improvements for clicking "between" tiles for units that occupy an even number of tiles. I think it should be possible to move this stuff over to an 1.8 project without too much fuss. I would search for "Big" while in the engine and look through all functions and variables that include this in their name, as well as where they are placed and what they are connected to.
              Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

Hi Monokkel,
                first of all thank you for this impressive toolkit. It´s very simple to use it and customize it to one´s needs.
                But now I´ve struggles on how to implement a repetitiv map (like where I scroll out west side and end up east - like in Civilization). Do you have any thoughs about how this could be realized?

BR

Comment

Hey there. Thanks for making this blueprint. However I'm having a weird issue here.

I've managed to copy all the assets into my project/game in their own folder separate from everything else. The idea was to copy blueprints I plan on using and modify them to suit my needs. However, when I copy the Unit Blueprint to anywhere outside of that specific folder, it seems to have many errors.
                  Examples include:

Can't connect pins Self and Unit : Self Object Reference is not compatible with Unit Object Reference.
                  Can't connect pins Unit and Self : Unit Object Reference is not compatible with Self Object Reference.
                  Can't connect pins Target and Victim : Self Object Reference is not compatible with Unit Object Reference.
                  and so on. Why is this happening when I try to copy or move the Unit Blueprint to any other directory?

Comment

The youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ztFJ6Pk4s states there is a "cross corner" flag on the grid manager however I'm not finding those at all on both GridManager and GridManager_Adv. Any clues? Was this feature removed? I couldn't search just this thread and other searches have turned up empty.

Comment

Originally posted by mflux View Post
                      The youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ztFJ6Pk4s states there is a "cross corner" flag on the grid manager however I'm not finding those at all on both GridManager and GridManager_Adv. Any clues? Was this feature removed? I couldn't search just this thread and other searches have turned up empty.
                      Yeah, the tutorials are unfortunately somewhat outdated. Especially the early ones. Making updated ones is high on my list, though time is in very short supply these days. Cross corners used to be something that globally affected the grid, but I changed it to be more flexible by making it possible to specify corner crossing for each corner. If you set a diagonal edge cost of a tile to -1 that corner will be blocked for movement between adjacent tiles.

Discord

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response and excellent tutorials and package.

Comment

How much modification would I have to make for simultaneous to turns play out?

For example: both players (or one player one AI) set all of their moves ahead of time, and when end turn is triggered both teams engage all of their actions.

I've spent a few hours with this template, I am understanding a bit better how it works. It is somewhat tightly coupled with turn -> animate -> turn loop. This leads me to believe making simultaneous turns will be quite a bit of work since I'd need to re-do how the simulation is executed.

I can also imagine a hacky system where all attacks work like overwatch, and the turns play out in sequence only after end turn is hit.

Any advice? Thanks again.

Comment

Well, I think the message is wrong.
                            What I want is diagonal movement.
                            Movable areas should be represented as if the Diagnostic Movement variable in GridManager is unchecked. However, I want to move the unit naturally including diagonal lines, such as when checking the Diagnostic Movement variable. I don't know if the meaning was conveyed properly using a translator.
                            What should I do?

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response and excellent tutorials and package.
                              No worries

How much modification would I have to make for simultaneous to turns play out?

For example: both players (or one player one AI) set all of their moves ahead of time, and when end turn is triggered both teams engage all of their actions.

I've spent a few hours with this template, I am understanding a bit better how it works. It is somewhat tightly coupled with turn -> animate -> turn loop. This leads me to believe making simultaneous turns will be quite a bit of work since I'd need to re-do how the simulation is executed.

I can also imagine a hacky system where all attacks work like overwatch, and the turns play out in sequence only after end turn is hit.

Any advice? Thanks again.
                              Short answer is that it is very difficult. Not impossible, certainly, but the toolkit is based on the assumption of sequential turns, so this is only something you should attempt when you feel you have a complete understanding of how the toolkit works. If you still want to try this, the general approach would be to delay running actions in the action manager until all moves have been selected and then running the actions while enabling the bWithPrevious boolean. That is just the first step, though, and it would certainly require heavily rewriting the ability system and turn manager. It might be complicated enough that it would be a better idea to build a project from scratch and port over the ATBTT functionality you need as you go along.

Originally posted by jh0620 View Post
                              Well, I think the message is wrong.
                              What I want is diagonal movement.
                              Movable areas should be represented as if the Diagnostic Movement variable in GridManager is unchecked. However, I want to move the unit naturally including diagonal lines, such as when checking the Diagnostic Movement variable. I don't know if the meaning was conveyed properly using a translator.
                              What should I do?
                              Ok, I see. I misunderstood. To get this effect go to the CreateBaseEdges function in BP_GridManager and change the default move cost values for diagonal directions from 1 to 2. Like so:

And you get this:

Discord

Comment

hi Monokkel

I am aware of the time limit available to you, I'll just be happy if you can give Estimated times (more or less) For the following questions:

1. When do you think there will be tutorial(support) videos (I make substantial changes to your system and would like to understand more thoroughly how everything is built and I find it very difficult with the old videos that are no longer relevant)

2. When to evaluate you will add "Make generic solution for animating actions happening during movement". For this is something I really need and misses?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                                X