No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a problem "Trying" to help others Monokkel, I copied and paisted the unit BPs and it was fun fixing up because I used unit_anim_advanced..had a bit of reparenting to do but it worked..I was thinking of doing a pdf tutorial on how I did it..unless you want to do another video..BAH hah I know how much you like to make those !

Comment

Originally posted by Skulldug View Post
      Not a problem "Trying" to help others Monokkel, I copied and paisted the unit BPs and it was fun fixing up because I used unit_anim_advanced..had a bit of reparenting to do but it worked..I was thinking of doing a pdf tutorial on how I did it..unless you want to do another video..BAH hah I know how much you like to make those !
      I actually don't have that much against making tutorial videos (except the four hour long blueprint one...). It is just that it is hard to justify spending the time on it these days with a lot of work-related deadlines approaching. Animation retargeting stuff is never something I look forward too though. It is a part of the engine that I use so seldom that I usually forget how to do it between the times when I need to. I also have more pressing tutorials to make before that, so if you made a PDF for this I would be in your debt (no pressure, though!)
      Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

I'd appreciate some advice, as I am a beginner (roughly). I am used to opening doors based on a trigger volume. Using the index system in this toolkit, I'm having a difficult time with the following:

As the pawn approaches a door, the door should open when the pawn is on the tile directly in front of the door. The door "slides" open, and the pawn walks through.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

So I opened up a fresh project, packaged it directly to Win64 and tried to host a game and my friend couldn't find my server. Any advice? I opened up the ports 27015,1500,7777-7778 and disabled my firewall just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Vonstaad View Post
            I'd appreciate some advice, as I am a beginner (roughly). I am used to opening doors based on a trigger volume. Using the index system in this toolkit, I'm having a difficult time with the following:

As the pawn approaches a door, the door should open when the pawn is on the tile directly in front of the door. The door "slides" open, and the pawn walks through.

Thank you in advance.
            Hey Vonstaad, there are a few different ways you can do this. I'll need you to specify a couple of things before I can give you a suggested solution. Is the door opening purely cosmetic or do you want it to affect patfinding until a unit has moved up to it? If it does not affect pathfinding and you target a tile behind the door, are you okay with the unit moving at a constant speed and the door opening/closing as it moves through it, or do you want the unit to stop, wait for the door to open (and perhaps have the unit play an "open door" animation?), and then move through? Make the description as specific as possible so I can can help you.

Originally posted by Danjio View Post
            So I opened up a fresh project, packaged it directly to Win64 and tried to host a game and my friend couldn't find my server. Any advice? I opened up the ports 27015,1500,7777-7778 and disabled my firewall just in case.
            Are you trying to play over Steam? If so, you have to add the Steam Online Subsystem (steps can be found here). Then, make sure the startup map is the multiplayer menu in Maps/MP. Lastly a quirk of the Steam test server is that all clients need to be on the same download region in steam settings to be able to find one another. Try these steps and come back to me. I'm in a bit of an awkward position when it comes to multiplayer for another month or so (only one laptop and a terrible Airbnb WiFi), but those steps did at least work last time I was able to check.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post

Hey Vonstaad, there are a few different ways you can do this. I'll need you to specify a couple of things before I can give you a suggested solution. Is the door opening purely cosmetic or do you want it to affect patfinding until a unit has moved up to it? If it does not affect pathfinding and you target a tile behind the door, are you okay with the unit moving at a constant speed and the door opening/closing as it moves through it, or do you want the unit to stop, wait for the door to open (and perhaps have the unit play an "open door" animation?), and then move through? Make the description as specific as possible so I can can help you.
              The goal is to have the door open (with anim) when the player unit lands on the tile in front of the door- the unit can stop or continue movement into the new room, if they choose. So far, the "front" of the door keeps referencing the world (i.e., GetNorthSquare references grid north instead of door north). It would be nice to plop the BP down and know which direction it can open from. I do not want it to open via the diagonal tiles. I don't mind referencing both front and rear tiles (in relation to the door), as I already have a function in place to differentiate the player and enemy units, and the player may come in from the other side of the door as well.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

The goal is to have the door open (with anim) when the player unit lands on the tile in front of the door- the unit can stop or continue movement into the new room, if they choose. So far, the "front" of the door keeps referencing the world (i.e., GetNorthSquare references grid north instead of door north). It would be nice to plop the BP down and know which direction it can open from. I do not want it to open via the diagonal tiles. I don't mind referencing both front and rear tiles (in relation to the door), as I already have a function in place to differentiate the player and enemy units, and the player may come in from the other side of the door as well.

Thank you in advance.
                So this question is giving me a bit of déjà vu to a similar one that I got pretty recently. But that was resolved with the old version, I believe, so this gives me an opportunity to solve it with the new one.

I've fist created a child of the north wall actor. I've recolored it, shrunk it a bit and added a pivot for rotation:

Then I added the action interface to this actor to allow it to animate actions on its own in the action queue.

Then I added the following to its event graph:

So at the start of the game I bind the AttemptOpen event to the event dispatcher that is called every time a unit ends its move on a tile. When the AttemptOpen event is called I check that the unit that has ended movement has ended movement on the same tile as the tile occupied by the door. If it does, then I unbind, add edges to the north (through the door) and add an open door animation to the action queue.

On the event animate action I'm a bit lazy and don't bother adding a switch to check if we are trying to launch the Open animation, since this actor only has one animation anyway. I've added a timeline with a float track that goes from 0 to 1 in one second and use this as input for the rotation of the door pivot. The result is the following:

Hope that gives you a good starting point.

Note that this solution works pretty well for most games. However, if you have a map with hundreds of interactable objects on different tiles, all of them being checked every time a unit ends on any tile it is not very efficient. I have added a new system for object interaction in my internal build and all the needed components for it are actually already in the live build, just not very streamlined. If you are going to have lots and lots of doors and interactable objects in you game, let me know, and I will tell you how to set it up.

Discord

Comment

So this question is giving me a bit of déjà vu to a similar one that I got pretty recently. But that was resolved with the old version, I believe, so this gives me an opportunity to solve it with the new one.

I've fist created a child of the north wall actor. I've recolored it, shrunk it a bit and added a pivot for rotation:

Then I added the action interface to this actor to allow it to animate actions on its own in the action queue.

Then I added the following to its event graph:

So at the start of the game I bind the AttemptOpen event to the event dispatcher that is called every time a unit ends its move on a tile. When the AttemptOpen event is called I check that the unit that has ended movement has ended movement on the same tile as the tile occupied by the door. If it does, then I unbind, add edges to the north (through the door) and add an open door animation to the action queue.

On the event animate action I'm a bit lazy and don't bother adding a switch to check if we are trying to launch the Open animation, since this actor only has one animation anyway. I've added a timeline with a float track that goes from 0 to 1 in one second and use this as input for the rotation of the door pivot. The result is the following:

Hope that gives you a good starting point.

Note that this solution works pretty well for most games. However, if you have a map with hundreds of interactable objects on different tiles, all of them being checked every time a unit ends on any tile it is not very efficient. I have added a new system for object interaction in my internal build and all the needed components for it are actually already in the live build, just not very streamlined. If you are going to have lots and lots of doors and interactable objects in you game, let me know, and I will tell you how to set it up.
                  1. Tremendous "Thanks" for all you do to support this forum- the toolkit is awesome.
                  2. How in Hades did you add a Pivot to the door mesh? I have literally spent hours searching how to add a pivot to the mesh, in order to reference in the anim but did not find how to do it.

I don't own a mesh editor FYI.

Again, thank you in advance.

Comment

1. Tremendous "Thanks" for all you do to support this forum- the toolkit is awesome.
                    2. How in Hades did you add a Pivot to the door mesh? I have literally spent hours searching how to add a pivot to the mesh, in order to reference in the anim but did not find how to do it.

I don't own a mesh editor FYI.

Again, thank you in advance.
                    Happy to help! The pivot is just a renamed scene component. Sorry for not being more clear and saving you a few hours... For meshes placed in the level the pivot can be moved by ALT+middle mouse, but that does not seem to work inside the blueprint editor, so I improvised. There might exists better solutions, but I was working quickly and this does the job.
                    Last edited by Monokkel; 04-10-2018, 11:23 PM.

Discord

Comment

Happy to help! The pivot is just a renamed scene component. Sorry for not being more clear and saving you a few hours... For meshes placed in the level the pivot can be moved by ALT+middle mouse, but that does not seem to work inside the blueprint editor, so I improvised. There might exists better solutions, but I was working quickly and this does the job.
                      Oh my word! So simple a solution. Thank you again. Keep up the great work, and I'm sure I won't be a stranger to this forum.

Comment

Oh my word! So simple a solution. Thank you again. Keep up the great work, and I'm sure I won't be a stranger to this forum.
                        Happy to hear that!

Discord

Comment

Are you trying to play over Steam? If so, you have to add the Steam Online Subsystem (steps can be found here). Then, make sure the startup map is the multiplayer menu in Maps/MP. Lastly a quirk of the Steam test server is that all clients need to be on the same download region in steam settings to be able to find one another. Try these steps and come back to me. I'm in a bit of an awkward position when it comes to multiplayer for another month or so (only one laptop and a terrible Airbnb WiFi), but those steps did at least work last time I was able to check.
                          No steam. Just packaged it as it came no changes made and tried to connect via IP and no server results.

Comment

Hello,
                            First time user of UR4 and this toolkit. I really like your tutorials and how the kit is set up, but I have an issue with how your damage system works. I been changing values to the damage on the units, but for some odd reason, it will always do a fixed amount. Was not sure until I dove into the BP_Unit and BP_Ability_MoveAttack. The damage variable in the BP_Ability_MoveAttack is set to default 35 and noticed that it never changes. I am a total beginner using these blueprint, but I tried to follow the "Attack Path" in the blueprints, but I do not understand why that damage variable is there. If you or anyone on this forum could explain that to me, that would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Danjio View Post

No steam. Just packaged it as it came no changes made and tried to connect via IP and no server results.
                              Hmm, that is odd. When you use the same steps on a blank project without ATBTT do you get the same issues?

Originally posted by ravem0n View Post
                              Hello,
                              First time user of UR4 and this toolkit. I really like your tutorials and how the kit is set up, but I have an issue with how your damage system works. I been changing values to the damage on the units, but for some odd reason, it will always do a fixed amount. Was not sure until I dove into the BP_Unit and BP_Ability_MoveAttack. The damage variable in the BP_Ability_MoveAttack is set to default 35 and noticed that it never changes. I am a total beginner using these blueprint, but I tried to follow the "Attack Path" in the blueprints, but I do not understand why that damage variable is there. If you or anyone on this forum could explain that to me, that would be great!
                              That is a mistake on my end. I have set up abilities so they can be specified as either using the variables defined in the ability or the unit using the ability by default. For BP_Ability_MoveAttack this should be set to use the units' attributes, but I have apparently set it wrong. To fix this, go to BP_Ability_MoveAttack and set the default value of bUseUnitAttributes (I think that is the name I used) to true. I'll fix this in the next hotfix.

Discord

Comment

Hey man!

Now I've checked the Player Controller, the Grid Camera, the Game Mode, the Turn Manager and the Action Manager. As far as I can tell the initializing of those are done via the following:

Player Controller - Event Begin Play
                                Grid Camera - Called from Player Controller Event Begin Play
                                Game Mode - Event Begin Play and OnPostLogin

Just wanted to know if there is any of these I have missed somewhere or if this looks right to you? I'm coming in on a solution on the whole LobbyGM->GamemodeGM switch via Server Travel but there are a few kinks left to sort out, specially when this is done through Steam. I will update this if I find the solution so you or someone else can solve it like I have, or maybe in a better way if possible

Cheers man!

Comment

Working...
                                X