No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before answering the posts above, one thing to note: I recently discovered that the new update does not successfully package when blueprint nativization is enabled. I've now spent the last couple of days tracking down the issues and have thankfully been able to fix it (and in the processing filing two bug reports to Epic). However, I do not want to slow down Epic's uploading of the new update anymore, so I will delay sending them the bug-fix until it is live. Just be aware that if you attempt to do a native build it will fail, but a fix is coming very soon.

Originally posted by OperatorCrux View Post
    Monokkel, with the Networked Multiplayer can we expect to see some baked in features like a maximum time limit for turns, custom match settings for players, or perhaps a way to include matchmaking? Still rather new to this so I'm not really sure what all would already be included with your package but my goal is to be able to match players based on Elo or a similar ranking system. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the update, hopefully GDC doesn't hold up the approval process too much longer. Oh one last thing, how will we know that the update is available? Just keep an eye out here for the announcement?
    I'm unlikely to go heavy into such networking features. I have a basic server menu host/join setup, and anything beyond that you would want to add yourself. Those types of features are not specific to turn based strategy games, though, so you should be able to find guides and tutorials on this elsewhere. I'll put it in my future ideas list, but frankly I have a lot of other stuff I want to add before that, so don't expect anything any time soon.

Originally posted by SimBuz View Post
    Thanks for the tips and answers, Monokkel. And good luck with that PhD!
    Thanks, and no worries
    The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

One thing i was wondering is if you use the turn based subsystem at all for your MP setup? http://api.unrealengine.com/INT/Blue...sed/index.html

I have not seen much documentation on it so not sure how it works yet.

Comment

Originally posted by elec2ron View Post
        One thing i was wondering is if you use the turn based subsystem at all for your MP setup? http://api.unrealengine.com/INT/Blue...sed/index.html

I have not seen much documentation on it so not sure how it works yet.
        I looked into it inititally, but the recommendation from people who had tried it was to not bother, so I made my own.

Comment

ok cool, thanks for the info.

Comment

To all that have been waiting...It's out, Thank Monokkel (Remember 4.19 project only)
            Last edited by Skulldug; 03-28-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Yep, it is out!

Reminder to everyone that a lot has chenged in this updata. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the changes. Also, if you have an existing project made with the toolkit that is already far along, know that direct conversion to the update is impossible and you should consier whether taking the time to manually convert all your own changes is worth it or not. I will continue to provide support for the old version.

Know that since so much has changed, this update is likely to have a lot more issues than the previous one. If you encounter anything that seems like a bug, please report it to me here and I will try to fix it as soon as I can. In the update there is a known issue with blueprint nativization which I am in the process of fixing. To see a list of known issues as well as what features I am working on, check out my Trello. If you haven't seen the new tutorials for how to work with the new Action System, you can see them here.

I hope you all enjoy the new update and that it will help you make awesome games!

Comment

Great to know, I'll download and test it.

A small question. What exactly does hourglass icon above characters mean (in the Sci-fi example)? I've made a lot of changes in the project already, so it's a little hard to get the meaning of it now.

Comment

Hello Monokkel, Awsome job you have done, THANK YOU. One question ,I noticed there is no longer "can split up move" or is it hiding somewhere ?
                  Also the spline mesh is not changing when new meh is applied.
                  Last edited by Skulldug; 03-28-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaimedInfinity View Post
                    Great to know, I'll download and test it.

A small question. What exactly does hourglass icon above characters mean (in the Sci-fi example)? I've made a lot of changes in the project already, so it's a little hard to get the meaning of it now.
                    The hourglasses indicate that a unit has used up its turn. I haven't added it yet in the new version, though.

Originally posted by Skulldug View Post
                    Hello Monokkel, Awsome job you have done, THANK YOU. One question ,I noticed there is no longer "can split up move" or is it hiding somewhere ?
                    Also the spline mesh is not changing when new meh is applied.
                    You're very welcome Splitting up move is another thing I have not added back yet. Should not be terribly hard to add, though. With the updated ability system I would probably do this by modifying the BP_Ability_MoveAttack. One of the benefits of the ability system is that it makes everything more modular. Much of the stuff that was previously done in the player controller is now handled by the abilities, while the player controller mostly handles input to whatever is the active ability. This means that if you want to experiment by adding something like split move you can create a new ability without having to modify the base toolkit.

Like I said, I will get around to it, but if you want to add it yourself to get it quicker I would duplicate the MoveAttack skill and look at all places (outside of the AI events, probably) there are pathfinding events and have the move range depend on action points instead of the unit's move score. And in the Pay Move AP function you would pay AP based on the exact cost of the movement. Lastly you would increase the action points of the units so they can move more than a couple of times. A modification like this also allows for attacks that take varying amounts of action points that can be used several times in a turn, if you want to make something with an action point system similar to for example Fallout 1/2.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Monokkel, I can wait untill you add "can split up move", as for the spline mesh, my fault, I imported wrong mesh(brain fart), it works.

Comment

Hello Monokkel, I think I may have found a bug in the new version. When I uncheck the "show default tile" This happens(see attached pic)
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (2).png Views:	1 Size:	544.5 KB ID:	1452981
                        Also, I am using a floor for a higher level, is there a way to show the tiles on that floor?

Edit: After looking into it more it seems the grid manager doesn't like my custom mesh, your default map seems ok. I will look into this some more.

Edit 2 : Yup, doesn't like my custom mesh !.(maybe because it is scaled up too much?)
                        Last edited by Skulldug; 03-30-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skulldug View Post
                          Hello Monokkel, I think I may have found a bug in the new version. When I uncheck the "show default tile" This happens(see attached pic)
                          Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot (2).png Views:	1 Size:	544.5 KB ID:	1452981
                          Also, I am using a floor for a higher level, is there a way to show the tiles on that floor?

Edit: After looking into it more it seems the grid manager doesn't like my custom mesh, your default map seems ok. I will look into this some more.

Edit 2 : Yup, doesn't like my custom mesh !.(maybe because it is scaled up too much?)
                          Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on this, these days have been crazy busy. I will check for potential issues with custom tile meshes as soon as I have the time and will report back.

Comment

Not a problem with the late reply Monokkel, The mesh I was using was scaled real big, I imported one the same size as yours and used the scaling in UE editor and there is no problem now.
                            I wouldn't waste time on checking that, your time is better spent adding and re adding features. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Great job on the last update! Im getting familiar and had a few problems, cna I send that here?

BP_Unit_Anim_Adv
                              minimum range not seem to apply damage when range is bigger than 2.
                              Also when trying to set move range to 1, it get into walk turn loop, until attack.
                              Had trouble aiming a unit with grid size bigger than 1.

Got caught by surprise with this update! Some really interesting stuff, how is the multyplayer going to be? Are we going to need to host a server it or the players?

Comment

I was wondering if you could explain how to go about using a static mesh as a pawn, do I just have to create a new pawn class and add relevant functions from the bp_unit ?

Comment

Working...
                                X