No announcement yet.

[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should hopefully be able to fix the problem with the next update. You would have to run the auto grid generation function after spawning the tiles.

Edit: Another way to do it that would take some more work is to create a child actor of tile_parent with an additional integer array and edge cost array. The integer array would hold the array indexes on the grid of the surrounding tiles to be modified while the edge cost array would hold the edge costs of the same tiles. The indexes in the array would have to be set automatically depending on the index of the main tile. Then in the event graph of the Grid Manager you would get all actors of your new tile type and set the indexes in their integer arrays to the costs of the corresponding structs in their edge arrays. Significantly more complicated, I know. But that's one way to do it before the new update hits the marketplace.
    Last edited by Monokkel; 04-07-2015, 11:55 AM.
    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Comment

Hi,

I had a quick question about making a multi-layered grid. Figured out how to make multiple layers that a player can move up and down on, the problem I'm trying to make it so a player can travel under a space, for example, having a building with multiple floors. One way I was going to try is having multiple layers, and the pawn would "teleport" between them, but I wondered if there was an already built in way of handling something like this.

Comment

@Saffron: If you look at the planned features list in the original post you can see that overlapping grids is a planned feature, but it has not been implemented yet. It is not something that is trivial to add, and will mean having to modify features, such as pathfinding and visibility tracing quite heavily. Depending on how proficient you are with blueprints I must warn you that adding it yourself might be a pretty big challenge. If you need this feature now and cannot wait a month or two for me to implement it while you work on other parts of the game I wish you luck, and will be very interested in following your progress.

If you're interested, this is the way I am currently planning to implement multilayered grids, though this is just a rough sketch that I haven't tested the viability of yet: I would create a new sort of actor called a subgrid that would share some, but not all features of the Grid Manager. It would have its own arrays for things like walkability and the position of pawns as well as its own array that would store what indexes in the subgrid correspond to what indexes in the Grid Manager in their XY location (this would be calculated in a similar way to how tiles and units placed on the grid are assigned their indexes). Pathfinding, visibility etc. would be driven from functions in the Grid Manager. Connection tiles would have to be designated for where the Grid Manager is connected to a subgrid, either in its own array or as a separate up/down direction in the Edge Costs array that would be checked during pathfinding. For visibility the same indexes would be checked on both the Grid Manager and the subgrid, using a macro to translate indexes on the Grid Manager to the corresponding indexes on the subgrid.

That's roughly what I've got planned at the moment, but I've got a few more features to add before I start working on it myself (check the planned features list). I might end up doing something else entirely, but I can't be sure until I start experimenting.

Discord

Comment

Hi, so I've recently started tinkering with the Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit, and in doing so a question has come up that I haven't been able to find an answer to in reading through the thread thus far. I should note that I've an extremely limited understanding of UE4 and its machinations as I've only recently begun learning the how-to:s of the engine and working with blueprints, so bear with me. In any case;

I've created a project using the ATBTT package, after which I went on to try creating a new level in which I've placed the grid manager, grid camera as well as a single player-faction melee character for testing purposes. When I hit play the camera ended up fixed at what appeared to be the grid manager's origin point (0, 0, 0), regardless of how I moved the character. After some tinkering I ended up manually reseting the "BP Grid Camera Ref" to the current area's "BP_Tile_Camera" object (even though it was already set to that). When I did this, the camera instead only displays what the editor's camera position happens to be when I hit play, which makes even targeting tiles to move to difficult. In either case, I'm wondering if you know of a reason or something I've missed (the likely scenario here) which would cause this issue to occur, and how I can go about setting up the camera properly in a newly created level.

It's worth noting that right now the sample map and new map both have grid managers and tile cameras. Is this a problem? Do they need to be named differently to avoid conflicts? Am I just being silly? It's also worth noting that I've imported another content package into the current project, but none of that content should influence any of the ATBTT functionality (and I've removed all the other content and tested again to make sure of this).

I'm at a bit of a loss, and I'm sure I'm just missing something glaringly obvious here as an UE4 beginner. Any help/pointers is much appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Robin,

welcome to the forums and to Unreal Engine! I hope my toolkit will be helpful as you're learning to use blueprints. There might be various reasons why the camera is not working properly, so what I want you to do is to follow these instructions exactly and see if you get it working:

1) Create a brand new project with the toolkit. Click "add to project" on the toolkit in the vault, but do not add it to an existing project (I know this is confusing. I've tried to ask Epic to change it to Create Project). Select a new folder and a new name and create.
            2) Create a new level using the default setup. Delete the included floor mesh and player start.
            3) Drag the grid manager into anywhere in the viewport. Set Grid Size X and Grid Size Y to something a bit larger than default. Say 9*9.
            4) Drag BP_Grid_Camera into the viewport and place it anywhere.
            5) Modify any public variable on the Grid Manager. For instance click "Snap to Custom Grid" off and on. This is to get the construction script of the Grid Manager to update and discover the Grid Camera. I have changed this in the next coming update so you don't have to place a grid camera at all and it will spawn automatically. But for now do it like I described. This is a bit counterintuitive and I suspect it might be the reason for the issue you're having.
            6) Place any of the player units onto the grid and click play. The camera should follow the unit and can be panned with WASD, rotated with Q and E and zoomed with the scroll wheel.

Please tell me whether this works or not. Whatever happens this will help inform me as to why the camera wasn't working properly for you.

Discord

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
              @Saffron: If you look at the planned features list in the original post you can see that overlapping grids is a planned feature, but it has not been implemented yet. It is not something that is trivial to add, and will mean having to modify features, such as pathfinding and visibility tracing quite heavily. Depending on how proficient you are with blueprints I must warn you that adding it yourself might be a pretty big challenge. If you need this feature now and cannot wait a month or two for me to implement it while you work on other parts of the game I wish you luck, and will be very interested in following your progress.

If you're interested, this is the way I am currently planning to implement multilayered grids, though this is just a rough sketch that I haven't tested the viability of yet: I would create a new sort of actor called a subgrid that would share some, but not all features of the Grid Manager. It would have its own arrays for things like walkability and the position of pawns as well as its own array that would store what indexes in the subgrid correspond to what indexes in the Grid Manager in their XY location (this would be calculated in a similar way to how tiles and units placed on the grid are assigned their indexes). Pathfinding, visibility etc. would be driven from functions in the Grid Manager. Connection tiles would have to be designated for where the Grid Manager is connected to a subgrid, either in its own array or as a separate up/down direction in the Edge Costs array that would be checked during pathfinding. For visibility the same indexes would be checked on both the Grid Manager and the subgrid, using a macro to translate indexes on the Grid Manager to the corresponding indexes on the subgrid.

That's roughly what I've got planned at the moment, but I've got a few more features to add before I start working on it myself (check the planned features list). I might end up doing something else entirely, but I can't be sure until I start experimenting.
              I was thinking of that same sub grid idea, I was actually spending some time with it yesterday. I basically started writing a new class that holds the same kind of information and has a parent connection to the main grid that does the xy correspondence. Hah I'm not sure why at first I thought it would be as simple has having two grid managers that the pawn can switch between but the idea I was working on last night seems to be working a bit better. I'm still tying to wrap my head moving between them, right now I have a manager and subgrid that exist without clashing, but working on moving between them is messing with me a bit.

Thanks for the quick reply! Hah sorry if I made it sound simple, Its one of the problems I suffer at work.

Comment

Ok, so we're thinking along similar lines. There are of course other ways to do this as well. The most obvious one is to make the grid three dimensional, but that will increase the size of the arrays much more than is probably necessary, and if you check each 26 possible directions each search step of the pathfinding it will slow down to a third. When you say you have a subgrid that exists without clashing do you mean that it works perfectly and independend of the main Grid Manager? You've got pawns moving on it and all that jazz?

Discord

Comment

Hi Robin,

welcome to the forums and to Unreal Engine! I hope my toolkit will be helpful as you're learning to use blueprints. There might be various reasons why the camera is not working properly, so what I want you to do is to follow these instructions exactly and see if you get it working:

1) Create a brand new project with the toolkit. Click "add to project" on the toolkit in the vault, but do not add it to an existing project (I know this is confusing. I've tried to ask Epic to change it to Create Project). Select a new folder and a new name and create.
                  2) Create a new level using the default setup. Delete the included floor mesh and player start.
                  3) Drag the grid manager into anywhere in the viewport. Set Grid Size X and Grid Size Y to something a bit larger than default. Say 9*9.
                  4) Drag BP_Grid_Camera into the viewport and place it anywhere.
                  5) Modify any public variable on the Grid Manager. For instance click "Snap to Custom Grid" off and on. This is to get the construction script of the Grid Manager to update and discover the Grid Camera. I have changed this in the next coming update so you don't have to place a grid camera at all and it will spawn automatically. But for now do it like I described. This is a bit counterintuitive and I suspect it might be the reason for the issue you're having.
                  6) Place any of the player units onto the grid and click play. The camera should follow the unit and can be panned with WASD, rotated with Q and E and zoomed with the scroll wheel.

Please tell me whether this works or not. Whatever happens this will help inform me as to why the camera wasn't working properly for you.
                  Thanks for the in-depth step-by-step instructions, that really helped me out. I got it working by following the above steps; it seems like step 5 is what did it for me.

Looking forward to the upcoming updates! Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Jacobsen View Post
                    Thanks for the in-depth step-by-step instructions, that really helped me out. I got it working by following the above steps; it seems like step 5 is what did it for me.

Looking forward to the upcoming updates! Thanks for the help!
                    Great to hear it worked! The update is pretty much done now. Just need a couple of more days for playtesting and polish. Feel free to post again if you're stuck or need help with something.

Discord

Comment

Hey Monokkel,

i just wanted to share my project here, since its based on yours ... ^^

i was working on a medieval fantasy fps kind of game, but as i played around with your Toolkit i switched gears.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-Lesser-Evils

btw, i think its awesome that you still work on improvements and updates.
                      although i kind of shiver thinking about moving all my changes and add-ons to the updated version ... ^_^

Comment

Very helpful toolkit, Monokkel, and you are doing a stellar job responding to user questions here. Thank you!

I poked around your Youtube profile in the course of watching the tutorial videos, and it appears you're excited by the recent developments in consumer virtual reality? It might interest you to know that I and some co-developers are hoping to use your toolkit in a long-form VR game jam! We'll definitely share some progress when/if we manage to make it through the milestones, and hopefully we'll do your toolkit justice.

I do have a few questions. Please note that I am still a bit of a UE4 noob, but other members of my team should be able to understand highly technical answers if I can't. I apologize for any misconceptions I may bring into these questions, but please don't bother spending too much time trying to tutor me on UE4 basics. The scope of a couple of these might also be daunting, so feel free to be very brief in your replies.

1) Scaling. I can drag the GridManager into a separate project like the Realistic Rendering demo, but the collision plane and several other elements refuse to scale along with the grid. (Images: 1 2) Faking this by scaling up the room isn't an option for us, either. Is there something I'm missing, or perhaps some simple way to get the entire functionality of the toolkit arbitrarily scaling in a new project?

2) Distance Moved. As in Battletech, our plan is to include to-hit modifiers based partially around movement, i.e., if your target ran around a bunch last turn, and you're running around a bunch this turn, it's going to be VERY hard for you to shoot him. In the course of implementing a rudimentary stat system and randomized hit/miss system (which was remarkably simple) I tried to use CurrentSplineDistance for this, but it was returning unhelpful (i.e., occasionally negative) results. Is there some pre-existing way to get the distance (in tiles or meters) a pawn moved recently? If not, do you have any suggestions for where to start when implementing this?

3) Multiple Floors. What would be the best way to implement multi-floor maps (with the caveat that we can't really use separate levels for this due to the requirements of our game)? A separate GridManager for each floor, and figuring out some way to pass pawn data between them, or is there an easier way?

4) Per-Team Turns. I've never loved the individual initiative feature common to tactics games, and I would like to explore something more like a Space Hulk approach where you issue commands to your entire team as your "turn". I can start to envision the kind of buffer this would seem to require - some kind of array of decisions that fills up and can be modified until you push a big "GO" button, at which point each pawn's action is sequentially fed into the existing systems - but I don't see a great way to construct this without doing an unpleasant amount of work. Is that what this feature would require?

5) Synchronous Resolution. I've also never loved the "stand there while I shoot at you because it's my turn and not yours" approach inherent to turn-based games, and I would greatly prefer something like Frozen Synapse where everyone gets orders for a turn and then everyone attempts to follow those orders simultaneously. My co-developer Mitch said this would be a "ridiculous" amount of work, but he was mostly worried about the AI necessary to make it happen. I'm no expert, but in my mind, the AI tree of "try to shoot that guy, but if he ducks behind a wall or something, you effectively lose the rest of your turn" seems fairly straightforward. What's your assessment?

6) Multiplayer. Are you able to give a ballpark guess as to when you might have multiplayer working? We've struggled mightily with network replication over the past few months, so I understand your hesitation to dive into that quagmire. I highly doubt we will have the time before the jam deadline in May to do this ourselves (if we even could), but we'd love to have a head-to-head mode for our submission. If that's not realistic, knowing it's coming some time this year would open up a nice DLC option for us. Any idea when multiplayer might happen?

Many thanks, Monokkel!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaara View Post
                          i just wanted to share my project here, since its based on yours ... ^^
                          i was working on a medieval fantasy fps kind of game, but as i played around with your Toolkit i switched gears.
                          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-Lesser-Evils
                          btw, i think its awesome that you still work on improvements and updates.
                          although i kind of shiver thinking about moving all my changes and add-ons to the updated version ... ^_^
                          That looks incredibly good, Gaara! It’s fantastic to see the toolkit used with proper visuals, and I love the modifications you’ve done. Some of these I was planning to add at a later point, such as displaying enemy visibility on hover, attacking from flanking etc., and it’s comforting to see that you’ve got it working so well. Did you find the toolkit easy to work with? Are there any recommendations you have for improving usability and commenting?

As for my next update, it will be a pretty big overhaul, but the core system is mostly the same. Converting your additions should hopefully not be too hard, and if you’re running into any particular issues you can always ask me in this thread, and I’ll try to respond quickly.
                          Originally posted by nateight View Post
                          Very helpful toolkit, Monokkel, and you are doing a stellar job responding to user questions here. Thank you!
                          Thanks! I’m just happy to see people using something I’ve made, and solving people’s problems is both enjoyable and will help me improve the toolkit in the future.
                          I poked around your Youtube profile in the course of watching the tutorial videos, and it appears you're excited by the recent developments in consumer virtual reality? It might interest you to know that I and some co-developers are hoping to use your toolkit in a long-form VR game jam! We'll definitely share some progress when/if we manage to make it through the milestones, and hopefully we'll do your toolkit justice.
                          Indeed I am. What tipped you off? I own both Oculus developer kits and I’m using virtual reality in my day-job as a cognitive neuroscientist. My own game development plan is also to develop a turn based strategy game for virtual reality, so I’m excited to see what you accomplish. One word of warning, though: The pathfinding and visibility generation in my system is fast, and are done in less than a frame for paths of moderate length. For very long paths or when running on weaker hardware the pathfinding might however take more than one frame. This almost isn’t noticeable for most games, but for VR keeping a constant framerate is essential and it might potentially pose a problem. I haven’t tested it out myself, but it’s a suspicion. To combat this I will in two updates be including an optional macro for calculating paths over multiple ticks. It might not be an issue at all depending on the move values of your troops, but I thought you should have a heads up.

I do have a few questions. Please note that I am still a bit of a UE4 noob, but other members of my team should be able to understand highly technical answers if I can't. I apologize for any misconceptions I may bring into these questions, but please don't bother spending too much time trying to tutor me on UE4 basics. The scope of a couple of these might also be daunting, so feel free to be very brief in your replies.
                          To be fair I consider myself a noob in many areas of UE4 as well. It’s less than a year since I was only able to print “hello world”, but I am of course pretty knowledgeable about the specifics of my toolkit.

1) Scaling. I can drag the GridManager into a separate project like the Realistic Rendering demo, but the collision plane and several other elements refuse to scale along with the grid. (Images: 1 2) Faking this by scaling up the room isn't an option for us, either. Is there something I'm missing, or perhaps some simple way to get the entire functionality of the toolkit arbitrarily scaling in a new project?
                          How are you scaling the grid? You should not scale it by using the regular scale widget. Instead scale it by using larger meshes as the default tile mesh and increasing Grid Size X and Grid Size Y. Is this what you’re doing?

2) Distance Moved. As in Battletech, our plan is to include to-hit modifiers based partially around movement, i.e., if your target ran around a bunch last turn, and you're running around a bunch this turn, it's going to be VERY hard for you to shoot him. In the course of implementing a rudimentary stat system and randomized hit/miss system (which was remarkably simple) I tried to use CurrentSplineDistance for this, but it was returning unhelpful (i.e., occasionally negative) results. Is there some pre-existing way to get the distance (in tiles or meters) a pawn moved recently? If not, do you have any suggestions for where to start when implementing this?
                          Current SplineDistance tells where the current pawn is located on its movement spine during movement. I have not intended for it to be called outside of movement, so I’m not surprised it yields confusing results. I would instead use the length of the Path Index Array. The Path Index Array (I might have changed the name since, but it’s something like that) stores all the indexes on the grid that a pawn will move during its movement. I think the best way to do what you’re describing is to create a new integer variable on Unit_Parent called LastMove or something and at the beginning of a unit’s movement set LastMove of Current Pawn to PathIndexArray.length (set it to 0 if the unit does not move this turn). Then when attacking calculate to hit chance modified by the LastMove values of the attacker and the defender.

3) Multiple Floors. What would be the best way to implement multi-floor maps (with the caveat that we can't really use separate levels for this due to the requirements of our game)? A separate GridManager for each floor, and figuring out some way to pass pawn data between them, or is there an easier way?
                          This one is tricky. If you read some of the previous posts on this page you can see some of the problems associated with implementing multiple floors. This is actually pretty tricky to do, and I have not found the ideal solution yet, though I do plan to add this in a later update. Expect that to take a while, though. You can of course use height maps, rooftops etc., but there can be no overlapping, walkable tiles directly above/below each other at the moment.
                          4) Per-Team Turns. I've never loved the individual initiative feature common to tactics games, and I would like to explore something more like a Space Hulk approach where you issue commands to your entire team as your "turn". I can start to envision the kind of buffer this would seem to require - some kind of array of decisions that fills up and can be modified until you push a big "GO" button, at which point each pawn's action is sequentially fed into the existing systems - but I don't see a great way to construct this without doing an unpleasant amount of work. Is that what this feature would require?
                          This requires a bit of tinkering, but there are certainly ways you can do this. You would use the toolkit as usual, but would have to create individual path splines for each unit. When you click to move somewhere you would not animate the unit or move it along the spline, but would update arrays in the same ways as in the begin- and end movement parts of the blueprint. Then when you press go you would move all pawns at once, modifying the move pawn section of the Grid Manager to accommodate multiple units. This will probably be easier come my next update, where movement is handled within each unit’s individual blueprint.

5) Synchronous Resolution. I've also never loved the "stand there while I shoot at you because it's my turn and not yours" approach inherent to turn-based games, and I would greatly prefer something like Frozen Synapse where everyone gets orders for a turn and then everyone attempts to follow those orders simultaneously. My co-developer Mitch said this would be a "ridiculous" amount of work, but he was mostly worried about the AI necessary to make it happen. I'm no expert, but in my mind, the AI tree of "try to shoot that guy, but if he ducks behind a wall or something, you effectively lose the rest of your turn" seems fairly straightforward. What's your assessment?
                          This is a bit tricky, but not impossible. The difficulty would depend on how you do it. If the AI should be able to decide what to do every step of its movement it’s harder than if it moves to a point and then decides what it can shoot, similar to how it is now. The most important thing to be aware of is to design things so that all visibility traces are done before it is needed, and not simultaneously, as multiple units checking visibility at once would surely drop the framerate.

6) Multiplayer. Are you able to give a ballpark guess as to when you might have multiplayer working? We've struggled mightily with network replication over the past few months, so I understand your hesitation to dive into that quagmire. I highly doubt we will have the time before the jam deadline in May to do this ourselves (if we even could), but we'd love to have a head-to-head mode for our submission. If that's not realistic, knowing it's coming some time this year would open up a nice DLC option for us. Any idea when multiplayer might happen?
                          This one is a bit hard for me to estimate. Like I’ve mentioned I’m still a complete beginner when it comes to many aspects of UE4. Multiplayer is one of these aspects, so any guess to how much time it will take will be rather poorly founded. I can say that I intend to look at multiplayer after I’ve implemented touch controls, multi-level grids and a couple of game examples. What this means is that I almost certainly won’t be done with multiplayer before your deadline. Hot-seat is a lot easier, but I guess you don’t want people switching their headgear every minute :P
                          Many thanks, Monokkel!
                          You’re welcome!

Discord

Comment

Networking would imho be very difficult to do in a "one size fits most" approach.

The slower your game the more lenient it is on latency and the more options open up to you. ex: for a truly turn based game simple http/json communication can be a very robust way to manage multiplayer.

But for a battle system thats quicker or maybe incorporates some ATB style elements you need some kind of UDP object system.

Comment

Ok, so we're thinking along similar lines. There are of course other ways to do this as well. The most obvious one is to make the grid three dimensional, but that will increase the size of the arrays much more than is probably necessary, and if you check each 26 possible directions each search step of the pathfinding it will slow down to a third. When you say you have a subgrid that exists without clashing do you mean that it works perfectly and independend of the main Grid Manager? You've got pawns moving on it and all that jazz?
                              Si, though its a bit wonky I can switch a pawn from one grid to the other, still only having 1 grid manager and my sub grid. The path finding works in the sense that whatever grid its on currently it can path to, so you cant switch between them by moving, I had to add a button which basically teleported the pawn between the 3 i had set up. But this of-course doesn't really work when you take other things into consideration, like AI pathing and attacking, so my current implementation literally only has pawn movement on the sub grid. I imagine getting the rest working maaay be a bit rough. Anyway I'll link you to the sub grid blueprint and the functionality I made to allow the user to switch between using the main grid and sub grid when I get home from work! Hopefully it will help the brainstorm a bit more.

Comment

Hi Monokell really great toolkit! Thanks a lot for all of your work!
                                Unfortunately I'm running into a problem with box triggers on pawn overlap. The blueprint doesn't seem to recognize the pawn (Unit_player_melee) overlapping the trigger box. Overlapping doesn't even display a string! Maybe you could help with this?
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	ComponentOverlap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1072304

Edit: I'm having another problem with the same setup. There is a door which rotates as soon as a pawn overlaps the triggerbox (--> enable input) and a button is pressed. For now I forced Input by setting 'AutoReceiveInput' to player0 (to skip the problem explained on top). As soon as I press the button the door rotates, but disabeling collision (what worked in projects without the toolkit) didn't let the pawn pass through the door. I tried changing the edge costs (set edge costs to all 0 for closed and all 1 for opened) via blueprint but this doesn't work (doesn't seem to update the edge costs at all). Changing the edge costs of the door manually to all 1 enables my pawn to pass. Any help would be appreciated!

Name:	doorrotation.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1072323

Also changing the mouse cursor when hovering over the object doesn't work either...

Name:	CursorOver.png
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1072305

Edit2: All of these are in the blueprint of the door. The blueprint is a duplicate of a square thin wall blueprint (from the toolkit) where the wall asset is changed for a door (from startercontent) and a collision box (as box trigger) was added. Also the map is on a hex grid but I don't think that should matter since the pawn can walk through the door as soon as edge costs are manually set to 1.
                                Last edited by Hinato; 04-11-2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X