No announcement yet.

JCInventory, Grid based jigsaw Inventory for your projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya i know, but im kinda still watching and waiting. Im waiting for the equipment system docs, could u maybe make a simple torch and a few different weapons just for showing?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexW88 View Post
      I can't speak for Axxi, but I made a quick and dirty image to show what I would like to achive:[ATTACH=CONFIG]39947[/ATTACH]. If you pickup a different backpack one might want to make a prompt asking if the items of the old backpack should be transfered into the new one.
      well the ideea that came in my mind was from Dayz, Arma so we are thinking at the same thing even Jack

Comment

Originally posted by alanconrad View Post
        I would like a tutorial to rearrange the slots to your liking because I rearranged and added some slots and whenever I add an item it just gets eaten up lol. Dont know what I changed
        same thing happened to me lol i moved the wepon slot resized bla bla and when i drag it the weapon doesn't spawn anymore guess i did something wrong i need to check it again

Comment

Hmm, I have completely altered the whole Character/Inventory screen and moved/replaced/resized every slot, it still works fine. Did you change the hierarchy of the slots or have some stuff overlaying them? I just had my items "consumed" when they were parented incorrectly, or the slot background was removed/hidden (as it's used to detect the mouse clicks)

On my own I managed to disconnect every instance of the item struct by adding a new variable to it. After working all day on it it's a true horror as I either loose all days work or have to reconnect everything which would take several hours as well and I still wouldn't be sure if I catched all :-/ I guess this is some of the many struct bugs with UE4.7 which hopefully gets fixed in 4.8...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexW88 View Post
            Hmm, I have completely altered the whole Character/Inventory screen and moved/replaced/resized every slot, it still works fine. Did you change the hierarchy of the slots or have some stuff overlaying them? I just had my items "consumed" when they were parented incorrectly, or the slot background was removed/hidden (as it's used to detect the mouse clicks)

On my own I managed to disconnect every instance of the item struct by adding a new variable to it. After working all day on it it's a true horror as I either loose all days work or have to reconnect everything which would take several hours as well and I still wouldn't be sure if I catched all :-/ I guess this is some of the many struct bugs with UE4.7 which hopefully gets fixed in 4.8...
            yea i parent them incorectly i got it working after

Comment

Glad to hear you got it working Axxi, i should have mentioned in the tutorial they need to be within the right window in the hierarchy.

The following is not so much related to the system but rather tips and tricks with unreal engine.
              Yeah, blueprint structs. Very painful, one of the biggest culprits holding back blueprints. Although from my experience it was getting better, that being said i have not done any major restructures in 4.7. In 4.6 it would only break a two locations, and i thought that was pretty good. I also don't use many break and make functions, that helps because it means that your function library might break but its easy to fix rather then all the breaks/makes all over your code base. As you say, hopefully 4.8, otherwise just make sure when you make changes- plan ahead so you don't need to do it often/again.

Edit: Circular dependency problems should be fixed by 4.8, the system still uses interfaces because it needs to be possible to change out the pawn very easily.
              Last edited by Staggerlee; 05-19-2015, 09:25 PM.
              JcInventory, a Jigsaw Grid based Inventory designed in UMG and blueprint

Comment

Hmm I've loaded a backup several times and tried to add a new variable to the struct. While it's not disconnecting each and every instance anymore its still disconnecting a unknown number of instances at unknown locations. I'd just wait for 4.8, but I rechecked the information about it, and after all it doesn't look like this will be fixed with 4.8. You mention that it only broke at 2 locations with 4.6 - how did you knew which locations that were/ is there any way to find disconnected variable references/pins?

Comment

Hi Staggerlee,

Great inventory! we've had great fun with it here.

We've just got bit of a problem when running the UProject out of editor the drag functionality stops and the item zeros out to white square.
                  I have no idea whats causing this and seems to happen in a vanilla JCInventory project.

Screenshot attached.
                  An error also appears in the log

[2015.05.21-18.51.45:125][ 0]LogLinker:Warning: CreateImport: Object 'InventoryChangeDispatch__DelegateSignature' isn't imported, because its outer is a placeholder. Archive: 'C:/Users/mitch/Documents/Unreal Projects/JCInventory/Content/JCInventory/WidGets/JCItemSHeet.uasset'
                  [2015.05.21-18.51.45:478][ 0]LogLinker:Warning: CreateImport: Object 'EquiptSlotChange__DelegateSignature' isn't imported, because its outer is a placeholder.
                  Archive: 'C:/Users/mitch/Documents/Unreal Projects/JCInventory/Content/JCInventory/WidGets/JCPlayerEquiptSlot.uasset'

Click image for larger version

Name:	jcinventory.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	1078696

Comment

i wrote this bug above it's probably on the fix list allready

Comment

How can I differentiate between weapons that are put into the primary weapon slot? I want to add specific functionality to the rifle to make it automatic, but it appears all the shooting and weapon specific stuff is handled in the player controller blueprint.
                      Stylized Low Poly Environment
                      Stylized Low Poly Pine Forest
                      Stylized Low Poly Buildings
                      First Person Horror Template

Comment

You will have to implement your own logic for that, personally I have the weapon/item functionality on the item itself. I store information about which object is attached at which slot at the player character and then pass the input to the corresponding item which then handles the logic. There are of course countless approaches for this. Imho the most important part is to store a reference to the equipped Item.

A very simple implementation for example would be to just store the pickup class of the equipped Item and then run branches after the Fire Weapon Input which compare the class e.g. class = machinegun > run machinegun logic etc.. If you have more types, you may want to use a enumeration instead so you can use the switch on enum node which is more clean than running 10 branches in a row.
                        Last edited by AlexW88; 05-21-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Hey SIG ! I replied to your email! I was able to replicate the bug. To fix it i must research how launching the project from right click launch project is different from PIE and BUILD. I hope this does not effect your workflow too much while i get it fixed. For now do your testing inside PIE and rest assured it will build 100% Ok! Also, i just wanted to confirm, when you play from a new editor window it works fine right? Its just playing the game without the Unreal editor loaded?

@Shirk, it is as AlexW88 says. The system was intended to work on many different types of games so there's no logic set up to get in the way.
                          For a really good example of setting up weapons check out https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Surviv...ame:_Section_2 it should be easy enough to read the C++ even if your not familiar with it and get some good ideas on how to set up the system in blueprint.

Also, check out my video here
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_ak-e8gWM to get an idea of where to put your equip logic.

Important news
                          There is going to be an update to JCInventory soon, it is not a major update. If you are planning to upgrade, don't upgrade the coming build, but rather be patient as i am working on something much better.

I am working on a big update based on all the feedback i have gotten. I want to make the system more stable (Well of course!) as well as making the current features much easier to implement. I hope to include a few more out of the box examples as well. This is possible only by the vasts amounts of feedback everyone has given me. I have been able to identify what parts of the system are confusing but also what needs to be easier to extend. I expect this will come in about a month.
                          I will photograph the major bug fixes so that people who don't want to upgrade can increase there stability, but the new/streamlined features will only be in the next update after this one. I wish there was a better way to update blueprints!
                          Last edited by Staggerlee; 05-21-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

hey guys, im not sure 100% this will help with the struct issue in UE4 4.7, but here are my experiences with it and how i solved them,

Would love feedback on this. As i said in the video, this seems pretty consistent. Why those nodes specifically is beyond me, but maybe this will help those having issue with pin disconnected after editing structs.

Comment

This is very helpfully to understand your system :3 thx! I keep learning how it works! more of this pls

Comment

Oh I didn't expect new input for this case anymore. Great video, straight forward, apparently no miracle way of finding disconnected pins. While I use different mechanics to pass in my variables (for now), this surely will be helpful for many people who want to use attributes.

Comment

Working...
                                X