JCInventory, Grid based jigsaw Inventory for your projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Diggs!

New digs! Quick make over with the help of Buck (UI) & nickolasnm (Man) from OpenGameArt.org

Of course this is just something i put together quickly.
    Note that the container window stretches with the size of the container (UMG MAGIC)!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JcInventoryNewDigs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	1068139

also @SaviorNT, See those two buttons? A to Z sorting and Sorting by item size! In and working! Thanks for the suggestion!

Another new feature, items will scale to the right ratio when put into equipment slots, so items with different sizes do not stretch strangely bur rather enlarge as big as they can while persevering there shape!
    I'm still open to more features! More videos coming soon guys. Next thing to do is to replace those item icons.
    JcInventory, a Jigsaw Grid based Inventory designed in UMG and blueprint

Comment

Originally posted by Staggerlee View Post
      New digs! Quick make over with the help of Buck (UI) & nickolasnm (Man) from OpenGameArt.org

Of course this is just something i put together quickly.
      Note that the container window stretches with the size of the container (UMG MAGIC)!
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]29282[/ATTACH]

also @SaviorNT, See those two buttons? A to Z sorting and Sorting by item size! In and working! Thanks for the suggestion!

Another new feature, items will scale to the right ratio when put into equipment slots, so items with different sizes do not stretch strangely bur rather enlarge as big as they can while persevering there shape!
      I'm still open to more features! More videos coming soon guys. Next thing to do is to replace those item icons.
      Awesome! Any idea when it will be available?

Comment

Doom Skull does not like hammers very much. LOL

Wow this is so awesome. This is the best kind of inventory system grid based and all! Seriously looks very clean in the editing window, kudos. One feature I'd ask for is setups for the item description, string combiners that can be added along with color coding & variables. So:

Doom Skull
        +1 HP
        - 1 Hammer Resistance
        Belongs to Player 1

Kudos to you!

Comment

First off I'd like to say your System looks the most promising so far. I like it! I don't really find it necessary to provide better graphics (others may think different), as long as it's easy and flexible to edit for the Customer (maybe you could share some insight how to change the background image or Inventory size?). It's hard to tell a fair price, especially since the features are not final and the marketplace is still in a very early stage. However for something like a Inventory System (potentially high demand) I'd rather go for a low price and sell more copies.

Originally posted by Staggerlee View Post
          I'm still open to more features!
          Well then...
          • optional weight system for inventory and containers (as it correlates with other features I suggest, and after all I don't think it bloats the system more than it adds)
          • possibility to limit the amount of items a container/inventory may hold
          • possibility to limit the item(class) a inventory(container) or slot? can hold (actually similar to how your equipment works)
          • possibility for specific slots to pass information to the item it currently holds (e.g. telling the item it's burning, it's being powered, refilled etc.)
          • possibility to add nAmount of independent quickslots (should be limitable which item(classes), scale and weights are allowed)
          • inventory independent character/equipmentscreen
          • possibility for multi inventories (e.g. multiple bags) and containers (e.g. shelves in a storage rack)

Of course, not everybody will need these features, just as with crafting or sorting. But if I'm to buy a asset, I rather buy a fully fledged system that has most of the features I want and strip of the ones I don't need instead of one where I had to add the wanted functionality on my own. However if you can't decide which features to include and which not you might also consider to just offer both, a simple and a advanced version of the System.
          Last edited by AlexW88; 03-14-2015, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexW88 View Post
            First off I'd like to say your System looks the most promising so far. I like it! I don't really find it necessary to provide better graphics (others may think different), as long as it's easy and flexible to edit for the Customer (maybe you could share some insight how to change the background image or Inventory size?). It's hard to tell a fair price, especially since the features are not final and the marketplace is still in a very early stage. However for something like a Inventory System (potentially high demand) I'd rather go for a low price and sell more copies.

Well then...
            • optional weight system for inventory and containers (as it correlates with other features I suggest, and after all I don't think it bloats the system more than it adds)
            • possibility to limit the amount of items a container/inventory may hold
            • possibility to limit the item(class) a inventory(container) or slot? can hold (actually similar to how your equipment works)
            • possibility for specific slots to pass information to the item it currently holds (e.g. telling the item it's burning, it's being powered, refilled etc.)
            • possibility to add nAmount of independent quickslots (should be limitable which item(classes), scale and weights are allowed)
            • inventory independent character/equipmentscreen
            • possibility for multi inventories (e.g. multiple bags) and containers (e.g. shelves in a storage rack)

Of course, not everybody will need these features, just as with crafting or sorting. But if I'm to buy a asset, I rather buy a fully fledged system that has most of the features I want and strip of the ones I don't need instead of one where I had to add the wanted functionality on my own. However if you can't decide which features to include and which not you might also consider to just offer both, a simple and a advanced version of the System.
            Totally agree with these, I would especially like to see:[*]possibility for multi inventories (e.g. multiple bags) and containers (e.g. shelves in a storage rack)

Comment

@Rotru I agree that would be really cool! On my next development day i will check out the scope of adding some kind of scripting to the text field similar to this forum or basic HTML. I'm not sure how changeable UMG is in this way, but i will find out and report back!

@Sitrec I indtend to spend one more full wenesday on feature development and then i will be sending it off to epic for QA! So soon i expect.

@AlexW88 Thank you for your kind words and some fantastic suggestions, the good news is some of that is already supported! However features are only as good as there documentation and my recording skills are not totally up to par. i intend to get my hands on a much better mic for recording. However some of those features are too project specific and i would rather show tutorial videos then add features to the system, that way the user has the power to extend the system rather then being stuck on what i determine is the one and only way an inventory should work. For example, it is very easy to set up a way to make a container burn and do something to all the items just by making a function that iterates over the array of items and i would be very interested in making that tutorial.

Bags within the inventory, or multi inventories (e.g. multiple bags) is currently supported! I have experimented with this and it is working! As for a quickbar specifically, I think this would be the next logical big feature. I'm not sure i have the time to develop this in this iteration of the system however.
              I will also be releasing a tutorial to show how to add a weight system as well as a value system to the inventory. As you pointed out it will bloat the system somewhat, so i think telling the user how to do it very easily helps more as it enables them to add other variables that perhaps i have not thought of!

That is something to think about. My feelings towards code snippets for projects is that i don't feel right designing more then the structure and teaching the user to build from there, rather then just building lots of systems and having checkboxes for turning them off and on. The reason for this is in my previous experience with using third party systems is that you will need to modify it to tailor your game, no matter what; There are just so many unique and subjective opinions when it comes to inventory systems!
              As said before, this could be used as a starting point and well laid out structure for development or even a learning resource. I'm quite happy to show tutorials on how to achive more advanced effects but its one of those situations where there are too many subjective factors to please everyone. If i come up with a way that makes sense to make an advanced system then perhaps i would develop it, but i just want the system to be as clear and unbloated as possible for now. Anyway these are my feelings for better or for worse and id like to know if you all agree or disagree and why.

I will be making videos in this priority order:
              - How to set up JcInventory into your project.
              - Setting up a Item Container in your project.
              - How to add weight or value to objects. Show basic encumbrance system.
              - Multibag set up and feature show off

Comment

Sweeet! Looking forward to it going live!

Comment

I have good news, the Multibag process has been moved from a clever hack into official support and easy to implement. Backpack containers and Items now have there own base class to work out of the box. This was nessesary as well to stop exploits like backpacks inside backpacks creating the tardis and summoning daleks. I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Additionally, the get the system work work dynamically i added the new feature 'Tags' into items, so now you can have two identical items be treated the same in the inventory but have different results because of there tags. In my own game i am using the tag system to make keys work on different doors and it is working very well! Tags move to the Actors Tag when there in 3D space, and into the ItemTag Array of the ItemData when there inside the inventory, so there always easy to access.

I have also added a Function Library of helper functions to deal with the structs, making the entire code base a lot cleaner to read! The codes ability to read has moved to my top priority now, equal to documentation.

@Rotru I also looked into the scope of your colored text for attributes suggestion, as much as i would like this feature is is outside of the possibilities of blueprint. The only way to implement something like this would be to add an array of strings with a color value to display on the description in a list, perhaps this would work but will not give the flexibility i had imagined in my mind and will be more frustrating for content creators. I will do some tests and see how we go!
                  Last edited by Staggerlee; 03-18-2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Ah ok, I guess I can build something on my own. But yeah I assumed it'd have to be managed in arrays anyways. I'd think most people using this would be at least that advanced. As long as some kind of item listing support w/ dynamic variables would be great, creating random loot seems kinda dumb if your loot can't show on popup what that random value o.O

thanks for the reply, looking forward to this!

Comment

@Rotru Yeah it would not be too hard to implement, but right now im focused on getting it onto the marketplace. I intend to do a video of adding attributes to item (value, weight, +str etc) and i will incorporate it into that! Sometimes it can be hard to modify large third party code without help so i want to provide as much support as i can. UMG makes most things like this pretty simple mind you!

Comment

Tutorial !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofrv...ature=youtu.be
                        New Tutorial for Multibag/Backpack system as well as tag system posted on YouTube!

Comment

Do you have a marketplace release date?

Comment

an action bar would be great with this inventory

Comment

Hey all, here is a updated features video.

Check it out!

Comment

Is there any specific reason this isn't on the marketplace yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X