Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit [Submitted - Large Images]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by Alaan View Post
    Good to know. One more question, does the pawn AI have any troubles handling sight & movement when the pawn is larger than one tile? As in if you want 2x2 "Ogre" would it encounter problems?
    Sight won't be a problem, but the pathfinding will have to be modified. To make it work, for each step of the path search, all surrounding tiles must be checked for walkability before adding it to the walkability array. There are a few other ways to do this as well. It's on my to-do list
    The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

    Comment


      #77
      Just checking again your video, dreaming of when the blueprint will be finally in my hands, I have a doubt: by looking at the "stairs" example you made in the video (at about 10:35), I noticed the tiles beneath the "steps" are impassable, is that because the steps are too low to allow someone to pass beneath them? If the third step was set a bit higher than that would then we be able to pass beneath it?
      Last edited by BardicKnowledge; 02-24-2015, 09:47 AM.

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by BardicKnowledge View Post
        Just checking again your video, dreaming of when the blueprint will be finally in my hands, I have a doubt: by looking at the "stairs" example you made in the video (at about 10:35), I noticed the tiles beneath the "steps" are impassable, is that because the steps are too low to allow someone to pass beneath them? If the third step was set a bit higher than that would then we be able to pass beneath it?
        It will hopefully be in your hands by tomorrow

        Even though I have height information, the current framework does not allow for two nodes with the same X/Y location but different Z locations. Thus you will not be able to make bridges where you are also able to pass below the bridge etc. I guess I could have been clearer on this in the videos.

        Adding this will require a pretty big overhaul of the grid generation, and will among other things require ways to turn terrain that is above you transparent so you don't lose track of pawns. There are to my knowledge very few strategy games out there that allow for walkable nodes directly above or below each other. This holds true for XCOM, Final fantasy tactics and most other games I can think of.

        I do want to include it as an option, but it's pretty far down on my list of planned features; especially considering that it will take a lot of work and really only be useful to a small percentage of users.
        The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

        Comment


          #79
          So if I want to make something like a building with 3 floors (or something like one of the big ships in XCom) I'll need to put 3 grids in my level , one above the other?
          Last edited by BardicKnowledge; 02-24-2015, 10:11 AM.

          Comment


            #80
            Final Fantasy Tactics, which you referenced in the video and practically sold me due to my love of the title, does in fact have structures with above and below ground walkability.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1067050

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by BardicKnowledge View Post
              So if I want to make something like a building with 3 floors (or something like one of the big ships in XCom) I'll need to put 3 grids in my level , one above the other?
              Originally posted by Alaan View Post
              Final Fantasy Tactics, which you referenced in the video and practically sold me due to my love of the title, does in fact have structures with above and below ground walkability.

              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26852[/ATTACH]
              Seems I must retract my statement. XCOM at least does indeed have different tiles with walkability at different heights. It's been ages since I played Final Fantasy Tactics and you might be right about it as well. Creating Arches you can walk under is certainly possible in my system, but not if the top of the arches are walkable. In the XCOM mothership and UFOs tiles directly above or below one another are used very sparingly, and the height maps are usually just smartly designed. That's what came to mind when you asked.

              In other levels it's used a lot, though. The warehouse and city levels are obvious examples, with most roofs and interiors walkable. I was wrong about this, which is a bit embarrasing considering how much I've played XCOM :P I'll push it up on my todo-list for sure. Adding complex height maps it will take some time, and modifying camera settings/visibility etc. will take more time, but I'll get it done.
              The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

              Comment


                #82
                So currently I can't place multiple BP grids in the same level to simulate different floors?

                Comment


                  #83
                  No, that wouldn't work properly. I need to first implement a way for the separate grids to communicate. I've already thought up a few ways I can solve this in the time since your previous post, so I'm confident I can get it working. For now you'll have to make levels with non-walkable roofs, and I'll try to set it up so that walkability can be added easily to roofs in a not too distant update. Thanks for bringing this up, by the way. XCOM is my biggest inspiration for the system, and I want to implement all its most important features (including cover, destructible terrain etc.) in time.
                  The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Great, thanks for the update

                    Comment


                      #85
                      I'm using this time waiting to work on my stat/combat/calculations. I'm quite eager to get rolling with the toolkit! (The price point you've chosen seems fair for the amount of content I've seen thus far, btw)

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Hi Monokkel,

                        I'm very interested in your work and I'm following you since the beginning of old topic.
                        Can't really wait to hands on it

                        BTW, I want to put my two coins on how you could manage multi-level grids in a multi floor building/dungeon environment: just think at very old games where to reach an above or below floor you have to "warp" from a special tile to another special tile of above/below floor (for example, stairs entry point or elevator).

                        In this way maybe you can't shoot at enemy downstairs, but surely you can travel from/to above/below floors and manage them separately during gameplay.
                        Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical Game
                        STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Arcane_Legacy/
                        IG: https://www.instagram.com/arcanelegacyofficial/
                        FB: https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneLegacy/
                        WEB: http://www.arcanelegacy.com

                        Comment


                          #87
                          Originally posted by Wisdom-HELLy View Post
                          Hi Monokkel,

                          I'm very interested in your work and I'm following you since the beginning of old topic.
                          Can't really wait to hands on it

                          BTW, I want to put my two coins on how you could manage multi-level grids in a multi floor building/dungeon environment: just think at very old games where to reach an above or below floor you have to "warp" from a special tile to another special tile of above/below floor (for example, stairs entry point or elevator).

                          In this way maybe you can't shoot at enemy downstairs, but surely you can travel from/to above/below floors and manage them separately during gameplay.
                          Thanks for the input, Helly! That's certainly one way to do it, and could be done quite easily as well. However, I do want pawns to be able to attack and see pawns and tiles on other levels, which as you rightly point out would not work with such a solution. There are numerous ways to allow for variable height, and while some of them would be easy to implement I want to make sure I choose one that is both efficient and useful. A goal I've had throughout making the toolkit is having it flexible, modular, efficient and intuitive. I want this to hold true for having multiple levels as well, and so I'm currently testing multiple solutions and am trying to find the optimal one.
                          The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                          Comment


                            #88
                            If you reach the point to have a complex management of a multi-floor level situation it will be of course the best solution

                            Anyway, I want to ask you a question: is your system ready to put some custom logic on cell adjacency?
                            For example, in my project I want troops joining together (or have symbiosis) in a special 3x3 formation when they are close enough and act as one big troop with increased stats.

                            Is it possible with your system to calculate adjacency efficiently at any time?
                            Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical Game
                            STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Arcane_Legacy/
                            IG: https://www.instagram.com/arcanelegacyofficial/
                            FB: https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneLegacy/
                            WEB: http://www.arcanelegacy.com

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Originally posted by Wisdom-HELLy View Post
                              If you reach the point to have a complex management of a multi-floor level situation it will be of course the best solution

                              Anyway, I want to ask you a question: is your system ready to put some custom logic on cell adjacency?
                              For example, in my project I want troops joining together (or have symbiosis) in a special 3x3 formation when they are close enough and act as one big troop with increased stats.

                              Is it possible with your system to calculate adjacency efficiently at any time?
                              Yes, that's certainly possible. Just use Find Tiles In Range function with a range of one and set it to check for friendly pawns on the returned indexes. Increase stats if friendlies are found. Find Tiles in Range is very fast at so small ranges. Finding and checking for visibility to all nodes within 2 tiles (25 nodes) takes 0.05 milliseconds on my computer. Even checking all nodes within fifty tiles of a pawn (10201 nodes in total) only takes about 15 milliseconds.

                              Editing: This can even be made twice as fast if you only care about whether the pawns are within range and not whether the visibility to them is blocked.
                              Last edited by Monokkel; 02-25-2015, 07:39 AM.
                              The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Something to think about as you're building whatever will let pawns occupy the same space at separate heights. Having it so that a function of picking up a character could be useful for some games. One of my favorites, the Disgaea series, allows for all sorts of interesting interactions through picking up your party members.

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	6210548222_afbc8a7720_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1067105

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X