Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit [Submitted - Large Images]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    I just noticed that you're including height information in this. I'd like to check that out even though I'm not working on a project of this type. What is the price going to be? Any news on whether Epic has accepted you yet?

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by Alaan View Post
      I just noticed that you're including height information in this. I'd like to check that out even though I'm not working on a project of this type. What is the price going to be? Any news on whether Epic has accepted you yet?
      The price is going to be $39.99. The communication I've had with Epic seems to suggest that it will be up on the marketplace this very Wednesday
      The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
        The price is going to be $39.99. The communication I've had with Epic seems to suggest that it will be up on the marketplace this very Wednesday
        Wow dude ... Very reasonable price ... I thank you. Tips hat. 8-}

        I am so excited for this release ... My designers are chomping at the bit ... Darn it, I am going to have so much work to do now. Oh well ... such are things. 8-}
        Quinton Delpeche
        Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

        Comment


          #64
          Can't wait for this to be released
          What's going to be in the release version?

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by BardicKnowledge View Post
            Can't wait for this to be released
            What's going to be in the release version?
            Good to hear! Everything I've shown so far is going to be in the release version
            The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

            Comment


              #66
              I'm making tutorial videos in preparation for release, and thought I'd share the first couple I made in this thread. The first is a short four-minute video showing how to set up the grid. The second is a 20-minute video showing some of the ways you can modify the grid and pathfinding. This is the first time I've ever made any videos with voiceover, so I'd like to recieve input on anything I might do differently. I've tried to keep my explanations brief while still explaining all that is necessary, and I hope I have succeded. Recording these videos have also made me realize that my Norwegian accent is much more prominent than it sound in my head. Oh well :P

              UE4 - Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit Tutorial - 1 - Setup:



              UE4 - Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit Tutorial Two (Return of the Ts) - Customizing the grid:

              Last edited by Monokkel; 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM.
              The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

              Comment


                #67
                Good tutorial, everything is clear and you don't waste time in useless stuff or repeating the same things over and over again, just a small issue on the second part, it looks like it only got audio on the left channel.
                Just a couple of questions:
                1. I noticed that the pawn could attack every adjacent tile when he was on the top ledge (of your 3 step stair), was it because he was set as ranged or you can also do that with melee attacks?
                2. Is there a built in function to turn the pawn in place?

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by BardicKnowledge View Post
                  Good tutorial, everything is clear and you don't waste time in useless stuff or repeating the same things over and over again, just a small issue on the second part, it looks like it only got audio on the left channel.
                  Just a couple of questions:
                  1. I noticed that the pawn could attack every adjacent tile when he was on the top ledge (of your 3 step stair), was it because he was set as ranged or you can also do that with melee attacks?
                  2. Is there a built in function to turn the pawn in place?
                  Good to hear that it was easy to follow. It seems that the encoder software was reset to mono. That's too bad. I'll see if I can upload a new version with stereo sound.

                  1. Every unit is in a sense a ranged unit, so a melee unit is just a ranged unit with range one. Height maps was the last thing I added and having a separate distance checking system for melee units is unnecessary for flat grids. I'll fix this in the first update, as it's a bit silly if melee units can attack enemies standing on a cliff above them.

                  2. Not yet, but it would be easy to add. Facing doesn't matter in the base framework, so I haven't bothered adding it yet. It's on my to-do list.
                  The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                  Comment


                    #69
                    @Monokkel: The tutorials are good ... your videos actually stopped me from buying the other grid system and instead I am waiting for yours. I was going to buy both eventually ... but the other pack will now be put off until after pay day.

                    As mentioned ... the second video only has audio coming out the left channel ... 8-}

                    I am really looking forward to this pack ... I have three projects right now that will benefit from this kit. Can't wait anymore ... this week is like Christmas ... this pack coming out and my new 3D Printer arriving on Thursday. Woohooooo. 8-}
                    Quinton Delpeche
                    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                      The price is going to be $39.99. The communication I've had with Epic seems to suggest that it will be up on the marketplace this very Wednesday
                      Thats a very reasonable price. Looking forward to getting it this Wednesday.

                      Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
                      your videos actually stopped me from buying the other grid system and instead I am waiting for yours. I was going to buy both eventually ... but the other pack will now be put off until after pay day.
                      Ouch, well I'm glad you found something that fits your needs so well.
                      Journeyman's Minimap - Available on Marketplace - Forum topic - Video

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
                        @Monokkel: The tutorials are good ... your videos actually stopped me from buying the other grid system and instead I am waiting for yours. I was going to buy both eventually ... but the other pack will now be put off until after pay day.

                        As mentioned ... the second video only has audio coming out the left channel ... 8-}

                        I am really looking forward to this pack ... I have three projects right now that will benefit from this kit. Can't wait anymore ... this week is like Christmas ... this pack coming out and my new 3D Printer arriving on Thursday. Woohooooo. 8-}
                        I'm glad you're looking forward to it! I'm pretty excited myself Nisshoku's system is different from my own in many ways, and if you are serious about creating turn based games in UE4 seeing two different solutions to many of the same problems can be very educational. Maybe you'll even create your own hybrid

                        Originally posted by NisshokuZK View Post
                        Thats a very reasonable price. Looking forward to getting it this Wednesday.
                        Pricing was a difficult thing to decide on. I don't want to undersell how much work this has been and how much the user is getting. At the same time I don't want to create a price barrier for small indie developers. My final price decision mostly came from my memories of how much I felt was a reasonable price when I was looking at turn based strategy systems on the Unity marketplace long before I begun working on my toolkit. Happy to hear you'll be buying the toolkit, and I hope you'll have as much fun looking through my alternate solutions as I had with yours We have in many cases found very different solutions to similar problems.
                        The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by NisshokuZK View Post
                          Ouch, well I'm glad you found something that fits your needs so well.
                          Don't get me wrong ... I am still going to buy your pack to support you ... Purchase of the pack however is going to wait until after pay day.
                          Quinton Delpeche
                          Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Excellent video. What it does not display is how this system, if at all, can handle large structures. If a large structure similar to the X-Com space ships were constructed would you be able to place that upon the world and have it understood by the system? As the idea of taking something that might need to be broken up into say 40 different pieces then get them all put in the exact right place sounds less than ideal.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by Alaan View Post
                              Excellent video. What it does not display is how this system, if at all, can handle large structures. If a large structure similar to the X-Com space ships were constructed would you be able to place that upon the world and have it understood by the system? As the idea of taking something that might need to be broken up into say 40 different pieces then get them all put in the exact right place sounds less than ideal.
                              True, I'll be sure to make a video that demonstrates how to use larger structures. That's really as simple as placing the mesh of your large structure in the game world and placing invisible walls at the appropriate places around it. I might in the future make it so that invisible walls can be generated automatically, but it's already pretty easy to set up as is.
                              The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
                                True, I'll be sure to make a video that demonstrates how to use larger structures. That's really as simple as placing the mesh of your large structure in the game world and placing invisible walls at the appropriate places around it. I might in the future make it so that invisible walls can be generated automatically, but it's already pretty easy to set up as is.
                                Good to know. One more question, does the pawn AI have any troubles handling sight & movement when the pawn is larger than one tile? As in if you want 2x2 "Ogre" would it encounter problems?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X