Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by BardicKnowledge View Post
    Good tutorial, everything is clear and you don't waste time in useless stuff or repeating the same things over and over again, just a small issue on the second part, it looks like it only got audio on the left channel.
    Just a couple of questions:
    1. I noticed that the pawn could attack every adjacent tile when he was on the top ledge (of your 3 step stair), was it because he was set as ranged or you can also do that with melee attacks?
    2. Is there a built in function to turn the pawn in place?
    Good to hear that it was easy to follow. It seems that the encoder software was reset to mono. That's too bad. I'll see if I can upload a new version with stereo sound.

1. Every unit is in a sense a ranged unit, so a melee unit is just a ranged unit with range one. Height maps was the last thing I added and having a separate distance checking system for melee units is unnecessary for flat grids. I'll fix this in the first update, as it's a bit silly if melee units can attack enemies standing on a cliff above them.

2. Not yet, but it would be easy to add. Facing doesn't matter in the base framework, so I haven't bothered adding it yet. It's on my to-do list.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good tutorial, everything is clear and you don't waste time in useless stuff or repeating the same things over and over again, just a small issue on the second part, it looks like it only got audio on the left channel.
    Just a couple of questions:
    1. I noticed that the pawn could attack every adjacent tile when he was on the top ledge (of your 3 step stair), was it because he was set as ranged or you can also do that with melee attacks?
    2. Is there a built in function to turn the pawn in place?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm making tutorial videos in preparation for release, and thought I'd share the first couple I made in this thread. The first is a short four-minute video showing how to set up the grid. The second is a 20-minute video showing some of the ways you can modify the grid and pathfinding. This is the first time I've ever made any videos with voiceover, so I'd like to recieve input on anything I might do differently. I've tried to keep my explanations brief while still explaining all that is necessary, and I hope I have succeded. Recording these videos have also made me realize that my Norwegian accent is much more prominent than it sound in my head. Oh well :P

UE4 - Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit Tutorial - 1 - Setup:

UE4 - Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit Tutorial Two (Return of the Ts) - Customizing the grid:

Last edited by Monokkel; 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BardicKnowledge View Post
    Can't wait for this to be released
    What's going to be in the release version?
    Good to hear! Everything I've shown so far is going to be in the release version

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can't wait for this to be released
    What's going to be in the release version?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
    The price is going to be $39.99. The communication I've had with Epic seems to suggest that it will be up on the marketplace this very Wednesday
    Wow dude ... Very reasonable price ... I thank you. Tips hat. 8-}

I am so excited for this release ... My designers are chomping at the bit ... Darn it, I am going to have so much work to do now. Oh well ... such are things. 8-}

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Alaan View Post
    I just noticed that you're including height information in this. I'd like to check that out even though I'm not working on a project of this type. What is the price going to be? Any news on whether Epic has accepted you yet?
    The price is going to be $39.99. The communication I've had with Epic seems to suggest that it will be up on the marketplace this very Wednesday

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I just noticed that you're including height information in this. I'd like to check that out even though I'm not working on a project of this type. What is the price going to be? Any news on whether Epic has accepted you yet?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    WOW. Impressive work indeed. Look forward to seeing it in the marketplace.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by J. J. Franzen View Post
    Well, I'll be able to tell you within a day or two of the pack finally releasing how well it runs on an iPad 4 and iPhone 6 Plus.

J^2
    Heh, ok, but you're doing so at your own risk, and you'll at the very least have to modify the camera and touch controls. I'll start working on adding mobile and tablet support myself soon after release.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, I'll be able to tell you within a day or two of the pack finally releasing how well it runs on an iPad 4 and iPhone 6 Plus.

J^2

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by J. J. Franzen View Post
    Just a quick question. There's nothing in your stuff that would present this being used in a iOS project, correct? You aren't do any special rendering calls or such? Would just like to make sure. Cheers,

J^2
    No, rendering is very basic. The only thing I know of rendering-wise that could be problematic is that I'm using semi transparent materials for the instanced meshes that display tiles in range, which is slow on some phones. Changing these to solid materials is trivial for the user, however.

I must add, though, that I have only tested my framework on desktop computers so far. While I don't think there's anything actually preventing the system running on other hardware it's worth noting that while I've optimized the pathfinding thoroughly, calculating long paths is still a pretty demanding operation. I would therefore not currently recommend using the framework on devices with significantly less processing power than modern desktops and laptops, such as mobile phones; at least not if you want to calculate very long paths.

I'm currently working on a couple of options for the pathfinding that should make calculating long paths nearly instant even for much weaker hardware. I won't be able to finish this until after release next week, however, as I have to focus on making video tutorials.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just a quick question. There's nothing in your stuff that would present this being used in a iOS project, correct? You aren't do any special rendering calls or such? Would just like to make sure. Cheers,

J^2

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is looking fantastic. Good job!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Domrpg View Post
    Awesome Job, man. Posting in here so i can't miss the release of it. Also, i may have missed it, but can this calculate on random generate tiles in game, for exemple, in a reconstructive cave?
    Do you mean if there is a built-in system to create random dungeons and similar? Not at the moment, no. My intention is to make the plugin all purpose with all sorts of turn based games, and procedural generation is quite genre specific. Procedural generation is one of my favorite things to make, however, so I'll definately add an example at some point. Making your own procedural genration system shouldn't be that hard either. Everything is already set up to generate maps based on arrays of tiles, so if you feed the appropriate data into those arrays you could quickly have some procedural generation going
    Last edited by Monokkel; 02-17-2015, 06:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X