Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spell Casting System in the Marketplace

Hello Community,

UPDATE 1st October 2016 : Updated Version compatible with 4.10 up to 4.13 available at https://sellfy.com/p/xEiX/ at discounted price!

I have been informed by Epic Marketplace team that the Update is now live on the marketplace. Remember, there has been a LOT of changes, so don't just go overwriting all the old spell systems files.
    There are LOT of the same functions, but the core of the system has been rewritten from scratch.

The system is now a component, so minimal setup, just add the component to your selected character pawn bp, then use can use the 2 Global Macros to setup bindings to most of the core functions via 2 nodes. ofc you can access all the functions yourself as well, the macro is there just to help you get started

################################################################################################

I am the creator of the spell casting system, and I have received numerous emails, Asking what the system actually does, and if it works for mobile, and what kind of spells can be created etc. so I'd like to clarify these things and have an official topic where people could post anything related to the system (questions, bugs, requests for future updates, tutorial requests etc.)
    MARKETPLACE
    If you have bought the system it would be cool and helpful if you would rate/comment on the marketplace website : Here!

FREE COOLDOWN UMG WIDGET:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post227950

UPDATE:
    a small tutorial series is up:
    It shows how to create damage/ healing spells, handle mana, heals over time, and damage over time.
    Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEyA5xN0BBQ
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHB2kNLfrQA
    Part 2.5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-gCLssqBA
    Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFnwuyEcPHU

System usage gallery: http://imgur.com/gallery/Jz4sS

If anyone who has bought the system can confirm that it indeed works on mobile that would be great (I could only test it in the mobile preview as my phones GPU isn't supported)

Also if you do buy the system, I am more than happy to help with implementation and help you understand how the system works so that you can make a full use of it.

A stand alone system that can be added to any pawn, allows creation of basic spells/abilities,
    adding these spells/abilities to the pawn spell book, allowing the pawn to select an active spell/ability and to conjure/activate it. each pawn spawns its own instance of the system so that
    each can have access to different spells/abilities. Spells/Abilities are divided into a blueprint and
    data component where the blueprint component represents the look and the behaviour and the data component holds the name, description, cast time,
    power, type, school etc. there is a spell/Ability datatable that holds the data of all spells/abilities, and each spell/ability system has its own "spellbook"
    which are the spells/abilities available, spells/abilities
    are added from the spell/ability database to the pawns spellbook using a simple function.
    A target actor can be speficied when casting, if target isn't
    specified the spell/ability travels in a straight line from the Caster actor (or how ever programmed), The system was
    tested with the Top Down, FIrst Person, and the Third Person templates.

Because each spell/ability is a separate blueprint, you could program its logic to do anything you may need

The asset packs comes with 2 sample spells/ability (fireball),(HealingBall) you need to provide your own particle systems/meshes/animations/sounds for your spells.

There is an optional hud that can be disabled with just few clicks.
    this hud contains information about currently selected spells/abilities, action bar that can be binded with a single function, spell cast progress bar. and a spellbook which shows available spells/abilities and lets you drag and drop onto the action bar.

Any questions, bug reports or anything at all, feel free to write here, or send me PM, or contact me by email address (adam-wolf@hotmail.co.uk), skype (Sarr_50) or steam (sarr_50), and I will try to reply within 24h.

!!! Just a little update, there is a new version of the implementation tutorial which is more detailed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_dyQNO9Sr0 !!!

Q: How can I detect if the player has enough mana to make a cast before casting a spell?
    A: there is a function designed to help you with this

Q: How do I cast a specific spell instead of having to use select next and select previous.
    A: Set the current spell variable in the function call when casting a spell.

Update Log Spell System 1.1v:
    -Spells have caster variable so they can access who has casted them.
    -Spell have icons (for umg/hud handling)
    -The system will be multiplayer compatible
    -Functions to get all spells of certain school, type, or search by name (trough both the spell database, and the character spell book)
    -function to get last casted spell
    -each spell can have its own cast position offset
    -each spell can have special spell effect compatible with the upcoming Character Attribute System
    -Supports release when the cast button is released (you can hold casted spells until you release the button)
    -Ability to cancel spell casts.
    -some minor bug fixes

Update Log Spell System 1.6v (1st October 2016):
    -Simple component to be added to any pawn (yes system is now a component, no more manually spawning it as a child actor)
    -2 Macro functions to help you get started within minutes
    -Create your own spells/abilities.
    -Select and cast abilities/spells.
    -Spell book for each pawn.
    -Cooldown system.
    -Effects system (spells/abilities can apply "effects" such as damage over time in form of a burn, or a heal over time etc.)
    -Specify your own animations per spell and which mesh to animate.
    -Basic Targeting (target actor can be specified).
    -Each spell/ability can have its own unique logic/behaviour.
    -HUD showing Current Spell, action bar with 10 slots, cast progress bar as well as a spellbook showing spell informations and letting you drag spells onto the action bar.
    -System is multiplayer ready out of box, core functions are forced to execute on server and replicate results to the client.
    -Comes with a demo
    -sample spells that use the unreal damage system

Sarr
    Attached Files
    More Spell/Ability Templates (melee, abilities, self casting abilities etc.)
    40.00%
    Tutorials!
    40.00%
    Update all my other systems first.
    0.00%
    Change pricing (comment how, and why)
    0.00%
    Other: Please reply to the tread
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Sarr; 10-03-2016, 02:11 PM. Reason: update
    My Works:
    Inventory and Equipment System | S.M.C (Simple Multiplayer Chat) | Spell/Ability System | Character Attribute Progression System

Youtube | Website | Sellfy Page
    Fantasy 3rd-Person RPG , Skyland Of Arnythos

There is a spell casting system in the Marketplace? Neat ... 8-}

Will definitely check this one out.
    Quinton Delpeche
    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

would be great to a see a video displaying (without all the lag i seen in the current one) the different types of abilities it is capable of creating, DOT, Instant, Channeled, and the different possible animations, the damage and healing system, as well as collision.

Comment

There is a plan to create tutorial videos for various ability types, , in terms of animations possible you specify a animation montage for each spell, and you pass in a caster mesh, so pretty much any animation compatible with the mesh.
        the system is designed to be separate from the actual spells. so spell capability as well as collisions etc. is dependent on the individual spell blueprints, the ability type isn't limited the by system, its only limited by what you can program within blueprints. the system handles spell casting and everything related to that (cooldowns, etc.). the actual spell logic is independent.
        Last edited by Sarr; 02-16-2015, 12:29 AM.
        My Works:
        Inventory and Equipment System | S.M.C (Simple Multiplayer Chat) | Spell/Ability System | Character Attribute Progression System

Comment

Just wanted to chime in for a sec and say thanks for the awesome Asset Adam!!,

I switched (somewhat) from Unity to Unreal for my current project as ive been wanting to give it a try for a while now, Adam's spell system asset is exactly what i needed while still learning how the blueprint Flow works. The setup and built in tutorial was relatively easy and the support is spot on

its true that the system is limited to what you can currently can do in BP, my game isnt meant for spells in the tradition sense and even then it just worked.. thanks again!

Comment

Hey everyone! I just wanted to post a message for people who were thinking about getting this spell system by Adam but who are still unsure. I had previously been trying to make a spell system on my own and did manage to get something to work, however after a while I started to realize I needed something more extensive and thought-out if I wanted my game to be more than a basic prototype. Adam's spell system is just that. It really does allow you to make any spell you can think of since you are ultimately the person who is in charge and scripting the logic for your spells. Adam has been helping me A LOT since I got his spell system from the marketplace and I know he also spends a lot of time helping everyone else who purchased his other systems as well.

With more tutorials coming I think this is money well spent and would recommend it to everyone who wants a good spell system that makes sense and has room for a ton of customization. The blueprints are well documented and I managed to easily add functionality to them without any trouble.
            WZRD

Comment

Just a little update, there is a new version of the implementation tutorial which is more detailed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_dyQNO9Sr0
              My Works:

Comment

Hey, this looks like it could save me a huge amount of time with the project I'm currently working on. However, I wanted to check a couple of things first.
                1) Does the system work with multiplayer currently?
                2) Does the system supported chained spells? So if I use Spell A, the next time it's cast it will cast Spell B, then Spell C then back to Spell A?

Thanks

Comment

Multiplayer is not supported in the version available on the marketplace, but there will be an update within next few days that will make the system work properly in multiplayer (or you can contact me directly and I can give you files for that)

A chained cast is something can be easily setup , the spell system casts the currently selected spell, so you could create a chain by calling select next spell, after successful cast, and that would cause it to cycle between spells. you can also just select the id of the spell to be cast
                  My Works:

Comment

That's great, I thought a chaining system would be fairly straightforward.
                    As for the multiplayer support, it's good to know that it's coming. I'll grab a copy on the marketplace, I don't need the support right now but if it's coming then that's fine

Comment

I could not get the anim montage right sir. Can you teach me please? I created an animation montage and applied it to my spell however it seems like it does not play it.

Comment

Originally posted by aslankokb View Post
                        I could not get the anim montage right sir. Can you teach me please? I created an animation montage and applied it to my spell however it seems like it does not play it.
                        Make sure that the animation blueprint for your pawn is set to use the same animation slot as your montage uses (when you open the AnimGraph, there will be various states to handle what animation to play. when you open one of them, you can specify a slot to be used as a source for the final pose). Montages are played in animation groups/slots.

http://i.imgur.com/zkSi4TO.png <- notice the node Slot 'DefaultSlot', you need to add this to every state where you want to be able to play the cast animation.
                        My Works:

Comment

Originally posted by Sarr View Post
                          Make sure that the animation blueprint for your pawn is set to use the same animation slot as your montage uses (when you open the AnimGraph, there will be various states to handle what animation to play. when you open one of them, you can specify a slot to be used as a source for the final pose). Montages are played in animation groups/slots.

http://i.imgur.com/zkSi4TO.png <- notice the node Slot 'DefaultSlot', you need to add this to every state where you want to be able to play the cast animation.
                          Thank you sir.

Comment

BIG update coming up!

There has been a planned update to make the system work properly within multiplayer environment and to add functions that people have requested,
                            As a part of this update, there will be a new class called (Effect) which will have Name, description, school, type, lifespan and stack(can this effect affect the character more than once at the same time) attributes, your spells now will be able to have effects (EASILY implementable passive, buffs skills etc.) together with the release of the Character System (https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...stem-Submitted) The character system will also have array of effects which are currently affecting that particular character, and the character system will by default iterate trough effects and trigger their logic, there will be a preview of this integration coming within next 2-3 days

Update Log Spell System 1.1v:
                            -Spells have caster variable so they can access who has casted them.
                            -Spell have icons (for umg/hud handling)
                            -The system will be multiplayer compatible
                            -Functions to get all spells of certain school, type, or search by name (trough both the spell database, and the character spell book)
                            -function to get last casted spell
                            -each spell can have its own cast position offset
                            -each spell can have special spell effect compatible with the upcoming Character Attribute System
                            -some minor bug fixes
                            My Works:

Comment

@Sarr: Awesome job. This is going to be a very impressive update. Keep up the good work. 8-}
                              Quinton Delpeche
                              Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Working...
                              X