Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! I'm the new Content Curator for the Marketplace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Jones View Post
    However, one part of the submission \ promotion process that's difficult to estimate is the time between community voting ends and the content pack goes live in the Marketplace. What happens then is that we contact the submitter to let them know their asset has made the cut, and then we sign all the legal and financial documents. Only at this point do we receive the actual source assets, and that's where the real detail work begins. This is where the Marketplace Content Team works closely with the submitter to polish the submission and make sure everything works exactly as intended before going into the Marketplace. Sometimes this takes a few days and a few rounds of feedback before we can make the assets perfect for mass consumption, so that's why it may sometimes seem like it takes a while to get posted.

To improve upon that, one of my first priorities here is carefully documenting the best possible process and troubleshooting steps for submitting assets and making sure they're as close to being ready as possible on the first try. It's essentially a list of best practices that'll help speed up getting your assets on the Marketplace, and I'm going to be broadcasting that to the community as they come together.
    Hi Jon,

1. Its clear that the marketplace is new and that's why there's limited supply. But is the 'Formal-Submittal' & 'Trello-Voting' process acting as barrier and slowing down the supply of ready-made assets?

2. Why not offer an informal try-before-you-buy option while you iron out Marketplace details? A lot of content was community based and free in UDK / UT3 before, from ledge climbing to background mountains etc. But now these are high-ticket items. It would be great to see a free or low cost section where anyone could showcase their work immediately and where it could be test-driven before purchasing the full asset-set. Voting on Trello is fine, but its not the same as test driving assets.

3. Please add usability features to the marketplace App, separate from whether the App becomes resizable or is made accessible as a web page etc :-
    .....A. Add a Marketplace 'filter' to sort by 'New Releases' or 'Cost Free', and add a 'Tick box' to eliminate assets already downloaded...
    .....B. Add control over the order of downloads, and have simultaneous downloading / verifying / creation of projects without 'queuing'...
    Last edited by UnrealEnterprise; 12-09-2014, 07:31 AM.

Comment

1. Its clear that the marketplace is new and that's why there's limited supply. But is the 'Formal-Submittal' & 'Trello-Voting' process acting as barrier and slowing down the supply of ready-made assets?
      To some extent, yes, but it's because of how hands-on we are with the content creators to help them along. We actually get quite a few submissions that don't make it to the public board for various reasons. Part of the time gap between submission and going to the public board for voting is working with the content creator to bring it up to quality and give advice on presentation so their submission has a chance for the community to see it, like it, and vote for it to move it forward. It is a fair amount of additional effort, but we think it's worth it, and we hope that the community does as well.

That being said, this can (and does) slow down the overall process, but it raises the quality bar of the Marketplace's content. I'm going to find every way to reliably and responsibly speed up the turnaround time from initial submission to voting to posting, but not at the expense of quality. It's a tradeoff, but I'd rather err on the side of higher-quality, consistent, easy-to-use content than to raise the risk level of the developer. I'm typically in the position of being a developer seeking content, and I assess the risk of buying an asset versus commissioning a unique asset or doing it myself. My two primary concerns determining whether I buy or not are a) construction quality and b) usability. It can be hard to know what you're getting, and there's a reasonable risk of spending more time fixing something you bought than it would be to make it yourself. Ultimately, I want the Marketplace to become the place developers can go to know that whatever they buy, it will absolutely work to fit their needs.

2. Why not offer an informal try-before-you-buy option while you iron out Marketplace details? A lot of content was community based and free in UDK / UT3 before, from ledge climbing to background mountains etc. But now these are high-ticket items. It would be great to see a free or low cost section where anyone could showcase their work immediately and where it could be test-driven before purchasing the full asset-set. Voting on Trello is fine, but its not the same as test driving assets.
      We've discussed this at length internally, and at this time we feel that would significantly lower the quality bar of what the Marketplace offers. We're not ruling it out in the future, but that requires a lot of moving parts. We'd need to reach a point where we can ensure a minimum level of quality, as well as having a more scalable means of presenting it for public review, voting, transferring and updating the files, and managing the community's feedback on it. For right now, I'd rather keep things the way they are and work on improving our process and speed than to cut corners on the developer's buying experience.

3. Please add usability features to the marketplace App, separate from whether the App becomes resizable or is made accessible as a web page etc :-
      .....A. Add a Marketplace 'filter' to sort by 'New Releases' or 'Cost Free', and add a 'Tick box' to eliminate assets already downloaded...
      .....B. Add control over the order of downloads, and have simultaneous downloading / verifying / creation of projects without 'queuing'...
      Thank you! Those are excellent suggestions. I know some of these things have been discussed before, and I'm still ramping up and learning what the community requests are and what our internal plans are. Consequently, I'm a little reluctant to comment on specifics until I learn more.
      Last edited by Jon Jones; 12-11-2014, 01:13 PM.
      -jon [ web: www.jonjones.com | twitter: @jonjones ]

Comment

Hey I just wanted to thank Jon for his reply. I thought we got notified of replies but i must've had it set wrong. Either way, thank you!

Thanks everybody! I'm really excited to be here and to get you know you all.

I'm still getting ramped up here and learning what the future plans of the Marketplace and the launcher are, so I can't speak to that just yet. However, that is exactly the kind of feedback that I'd like to hear so that I can do what I can.

Rasped above answered this correctly, but I'll reiterate. The dates on the Trello board for everything to the left of "Promoted to Marketplace" are for the voting period to determine what does or doesn't make it into the Marketplace. That being said, we have been discussing how to clean it up and clarify the overall process better for the community so that the status of submissions is clearer.

However, one part of the submission \ promotion process that's difficult to estimate is the time between community voting ends and the content pack goes live in the Marketplace. What happens then is that we contact the submitter to let them know their asset has made the cut, and then we sign all the legal and financial documents. Only at this point do we receive the actual source assets, and that's where the real detail work begins. This is where the Marketplace Content Team works closely with the submitter to polish the submission and make sure everything works exactly as intended before going into the Marketplace. Sometimes this takes a few days and a few rounds of feedback before we can make the assets perfect for mass consumption, so that's why it may sometimes seem like it takes a while to get posted.

To improve upon that, one of my first priorities here is carefully documenting the best possible process and troubleshooting steps for submitting assets and making sure they're as close to being ready as possible on the first try. It's essentially a list of best practices that'll help speed up getting your assets on the Marketplace, and I'm going to be broadcasting that to the community as they come together.

Comment

@Jon Jones

Thank you for the comments on my material pack on the Trello Board - I have been trying to improve the overall presentation of my packs each time i submit one to make them as aesthetically pleasing and as clearly demonstrative as possible.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Ancient Cistern | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 1 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 2 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 3 | Texture Pack Ed. 1 | Container Pack Ed. 1 | Road Sign Pack Ed. 1

Comment

That being said, this can (and does) slow down the overall process, but it raises the quality bar of the Marketplace's content. I'm going to find every way to reliably and responsibly speed up the turnaround time from initial submission to voting to posting, but not at the expense of quality. It's a tradeoff, but I'd rather err on the side of higher-quality, consistent, easy-to-use content than to raise the risk level of the developer. I'm typically in the position of being a developer seeking content, and I assess the risk of buying an asset versus commissioning a unique asset or doing it myself. My two primary concerns determining whether I buy or not are a) construction quality and b) usability. It can be hard to know what you're getting, and there's a reasonable risk of spending more time fixing something you bought than it would be to make it yourself. Ultimately, I want the Marketplace to become the place developers can go to know that whatever they buy, it will absolutely work to fit their needs.
            I'm happy to hear that, rather pleased actually, that someone knows that it's more than just pushing other peoples junk for the quick buck and so far I've yet to see anything that I would consider sub-par, including body bags(J/K).

I for one would rather wait a month for pro stuff and pay top dollar than buying on the cheap and have to spend time fixing stuff that should have been done right in the first place.
            Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
            Custom Map Maker Discord
            https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
            Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

Working...
            X