Time of Day editor/runtime plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time of Day editor/runtime plugin

I'm working on Time Of Day plugin. It will contain dedicated editor, so you don't have to deal with bazylion of individual curve assets, it will all sit in single place and you can edit it from here.

It works as simple asset. You create ToD asset, drop it into your level and puf! you have entire time of day system ready to work.
    You can also reference actor in your blueprint or code,to get events like OnSunset, OnSunrise etc.

Next iteration will probably contain Clouds, if I figure out how do I exactly want to do them.

Now important thing. Plugin will be available for free from GitHub as source on MIT license. Which means you can do whatever with it, but you use it as is on your own volition.

But I want to put it on Marketplace, here will get Binary version for engine version + source + my gratitude and support if something doesn't work.

Also please keep in mind that plugin will be compatible only with 4.6+ (unless you are feeling like integrating changes yourself).
    https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...4db7daa21408d5

As I made some changes to engine, to make editor work, and they will be integrated from that version onwards.

There are not screenshots yet of editor, I postponed working on it until there will be 4.6 branch on GitHub.
    I think that is fair enough. Now the question, how much you would be willing to pay for it ?

Edit:
    Functionality:
    1. ToD asset contain:
    1a. Directonal Light set to Moveable (sun)
    1b. Directional Light set to Movebale (Moon).
    1c. Sky Light.
    1d. Atmospheric Fog.
    1e. Post Process Volume set to unbound.
    1f. Exponential Height Fog.
    1g. Night Sky (still figuring out how do I want to do it exactly).

2. ToD is driven by Tick. So each frame ToD is uptaded.
    3. All exposed functionality is driven by curves (where it make sense). Which means you can setup any value over any time, and smoothly transition from it.
    4. Day can have any lenght. But as it stand now it require direct changes in source code. Nothing terribly complicated, but I want to improve it.
    5. You can scale transition time (full day in real world 1h, for example).
    30.77%
    17.95%
    15.38%
    7.69%
    12.82%
    0.00%
    15.38%
    Last edited by iniside; 10-28-2014, 06:42 AM.
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Hmmm, you can do that with BP in about 20 mins and there are quite a few tutorials about. I suppose it's fine if you don't want to deal with doing it yourself..

Maybe add a few options? New BSP skyspheres, climate and weather shifts?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
      Hmmm, you can do that with BP in about 20 mins and there are quite a few tutorials about. I suppose it's fine if you don't want to deal with doing it yourself..

Maybe add a few options? New BSP skyspheres, climate and weather shifts?
      It's more of convince.
      When you do it using Blueprint, for each property you need to create individual curve asset. Of if you want another variation you need to create even more curves with different values (for example for different level). Even with one level it can quickly become mess, when you want to controll over 40+ properties over time.
      In my case you only create one new asset.

There won't Sky spheres. Atmospheric Fog is best Sky you can get without going into code. I will add clouds. Once I figure out how I want to handle it.

Edit:
      Just to be clear. I have working prototype in Blueprint (;. But with about 40+ curves (As assets), to controll individual properties, it become nightmare to use, so I decided to make plugin with dedicated editor, just like the one in CryEngine.
      Last edited by iniside; 10-28-2014, 08:00 AM.
      https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

I make my own skybox and just a few days later I see this!

protip: make it multiplayer-ready

also I meant to ask: how do you refresh the sun disc position? I tried doing it for the default skybox but I only could do it via blueprint (not c++). or are you not using the default skybox BP at all?
        Follow me on Twitter!
        Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
        Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

I don't use skybox for sun. For day I use only Atmospheric Fog, and sun from it. This sun doesn't look good half of the time, but it's something can be fixed for everyone benefit .

Did you tried to manipulate material parameters directly from C++, for skybox ?

Multiplayer - of course. I need that as well (;.

Comment

thanks for the info

I didn't try to manipulate the materials from C++, I haven't even gone that far to know how to do it. the skybox BP has a function to update the material but after some digging I found that sadly you can't call a BP-only function from C++ because it doesn't exist at compile time. therefore what I did was to update the skybox via the blueprint Tick of my WorldTimeActor.
            I'm not sure yet if I'll use the skybox though. the sun disc is good but I don't like the clouds or the stars. so what do you use for the sun disc? it comes from the AtmosphericFog?

multiplayer was also not too hard to do and it proved a good resource for learning. it allowed me to learn how to replicate on NetInitial and let the clients keep running their simulated version, so essentially when a new player joins the game he gets the "current" time of the day from the server and simulates from that point onwards... unless the server decides to change the current time (so it gets sent to clients again)
            let me know if you need any info on this
            Follow me on Twitter!
            Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
            Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Can't really give you a good estimate of how much I'd pay without seeing it myself. It's one thing to build the functionality but quite another to make it look polished and sexy. Would you be including an actual sun and moon mesh, since you aren't using a skybox?

Comment

Originally posted by Zooch View Post
                Can't really give you a good estimate of how much I'd pay without seeing it myself. It's one thing to build the functionality but quite another to make it look polished and sexy. Would you be including an actual sun and moon mesh, since you aren't using a skybox?
                You dont need a mesh for the sun when you use Atmospheric Fog.
                FREE VR Drum Kit Project
                FREE Color LUT Collection
                FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
                FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
                Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
                Camera Crossfade

Comment

Small thing before I go sleep. Clouds prototype I have been working on:

Comment

Originally posted by Zooch View Post
                    Thanks. You gave me idea about how to solve the moon problem.. I haven't thought about using static mesh before.

Well currently I'm using simple sphere, without even texture mapped.

I also replaced sun from atmospheric fog, with static mesh. As the atmospheric sun looks kind of ****.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this, I have one question and I don't know if your system will help in this area. I think blueprints would be the way to go but I will ask anyways. How simple/complex would it be to have day time mesh/ night time mesh switch during gameplay. Example would be a lamp post, how hard would it be to link it to your time of day system so when the sun drops the new lamp post with nigh time emmissive map spawns in place of the day time mesh?

Comment

Originally posted by X.E.R.T. View Post
                        Looking forward to seeing more progress on this, I have one question and I don't know if your system will help in this area. I think blueprints would be the way to go but I will ask anyways. How simple/complex would it be to have day time mesh/ night time mesh switch during gameplay. Example would be a lamp post, how hard would it be to link it to your time of day system so when the sun drops the new lamp post with nigh time emmissive map spawns in place of the day time mesh?
                        In my case you will need to reference TOD Actor from level in your blueprint, and bind OnSunset.

Or you can check for current hour and then fire event.

Comment

Just curious - Will the clouds in the next version be volumetric?

Just curious here

Comment

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
                            Just curious - Will the clouds in the next version be volumetric?

Just curious here
                            They are just particle systems.
                            I try to keep them simple (;.

Comment

First Pass on editor:

Comment

Working...
                              X