Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modular SciFi Series - Polaris Colony Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does geometry have LODs ? I am thinking I could use it on mobile.

Btw, should I buy it on marketplace or somewhere else ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinotti View Post
      In the title of this thread is a free pack mentioned, but I don't find a link to it here. Where is it please?
      Hey Pinotti! You can find the pack in the first post, last page or here. =)

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
      Does geometry have LODs ? I am thinking I could use it on mobile.

Btw, should I buy it on marketplace or somewhere else ?
      Hey Motorsep!

The packs do not include LODs, for a couple reasons:

1. UE4 handles polygons much better than it's predecessors. Unless you're being extremely cavalier in your tri count (which my packs are not) you aren't going to get much if any performance hit, especially in an interior scene. Expensive materials and lighting tend to contribute the most to performance impact.

2. UE4 doesn't include in engine auto LOD tools like previous engine versions, and manual LOD creation is very time consuming. Especially for interior scenes which would have a very negligible difference in performance.

Additionally, the packs were designed and intended for next gen games and have only been tested on Desktop. Please keep in mind should you decide to purchase that they have not been optimized for mobile games.

As for where to buy them, the currently available packs are available solely on the UE4 marketplace. Future packs (including the above WIP) will be released on my www.sejonf.com and sold through Gumroad. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Simulacrum Game | Play The Alpha | Caldera Entertainment | Twitter | ArtStation

Comment

Hey, just bought the interiors and hallways pack, spoke briefly on youtube.

In the hallways pack, I've noticed that it's actually impossible to get the assets to line up without scaling them (the examples use them on nearly every border floor tile and upper wall), and the scales required aren't simple/regular (not even multiples of 0.125). Is there any chance of you releasing an update containing multiple versions of the assets which need to be scaled, except with the scale baked onto the mesh itself?

Otherwise this will just take my level designer too long to use.

As for interiors, that seems to be better, with the only scales being -1 or 1.

I really love the look of these assets, but it's just too hard to use hallways at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabsterpal View Post
          Hey, just bought the interiors and hallways pack, spoke briefly on youtube.

In the hallways pack, I've noticed that it's actually impossible to get the assets to line up without scaling them (the examples use them on nearly every border floor tile and upper wall), and the scales required aren't simple/regular (not even multiples of 0.125). Is there any chance of you releasing an update containing multiple versions of the assets which need to be scaled, except with the scale baked onto the mesh itself?

Otherwise this will just take my level designer too long to use.

As for interiors, that seems to be better, with the only scales being -1 or 1.

I really love the look of these assets, but it's just too hard to use hallways at the moment.
          Hey Fabsterpal,

As I said on the youtube video the assets all adhere to the 5 and 10cm grid. No scaling is required to create environments using the assets provided. I'm assuming you may be referring to the wall in the hallway intersection of this picture?

Click image for larger version

Name:	example2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	797.9 KB
ID:	1109240

If so, then yes the wall meshes in that room have slightly modified dimensions. And here's why:

The hallway intersection was designed to have 4 doorways, connecting 4 hallways. You can see this demonstrated in the hallway directly across the one depicted in the photo which has a doorway/door on that opposite wall. Here's a photo that might better explain it.

Name:	example3.jpg
Size:	816.8 KB
ID:	1109241

There was never any intention for there to be a wall on one of the 4 sides of that intersection. The only reason I modified the assets to provide one was to show what's possible if you wanted to tweak some of the dimensions to get more out of the assets.

This practice is also demonstrated in the collection environment. The windows of the Interior package are designed to fit the dimensions of the "main" hallway length. There are smaller hallways introduced in the pack which connect the rooms together and also use different dimensions. This was done for many reasons, but mostly to avoid homogenizing the assets too much in terms of size. The packages all have a blueprint of scale which I continue to build upon in subsequent packs, or updates. i.e. New wall meshes that can swap into place of another seamlessly. Same goes for floor meshes, or ceiling meshes. It can be seen with the recent expansion update to the Interiors pack which added new wall dividers, floors, floor dividers, ceilings and walls that can be swapped with other similar assets that take up the same space.

Because of this, assets designated for the main hallways cannot be substituted for assets used in the smaller hallways. This is inevitable in almost any modular pack, because unless you have a fully homogenized, 1:1 scaled square asset for every piece (which in and of itself limits your design) then you will always have pieces that are designed for certain purposes.

Here is an example of me repeating what I did with the intersection hall in the Hallways pack in the Collection environment. The dimensions of the windows were adjusted to allow them to fit the scale of the smaller hallways and be rotated along the sides. This was actually inspired by a customer who shared their work using the pack to create a similar design, although theirs spanned a 180 degree arc.

Name:	f17.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	935.8 KB
ID:	1109242

So basically the wall of that intersection is to help give ideas for how you can modify the assets to go beyond their intended purpose. The intersection (as seen in the rest of the example environment) was always intended to have 4 doorways (either closed, or opened) connected. For the hallways pack, the closed doorway was always the cap, so to speak, for the environments.

Hopefully this answers your question. Let me know if you have anything further to ask. =)

Comment

Hey everyone!

Here are some more WIP screenshots of the Command Center pack. I started blocking out more of the ceiling.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	1111791

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	1111792

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	1111793

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	1111794

Comment

Modular SciFi Bundle Poll

I want to know if anyone is interested in a bundle pack for the current Modular SciFi Series content.

What's included?

Modular SciFi: Hallways + expansions
              Modular SciFi: Interiors + expansion
              Modular SciFi: Props I
              Modular SciFi: Materials & Decals

Also included exclusively would be the environment created for the Collection Trailer.

Price: $99.99. You save $20 and get the exclusive environment from the video above.

Vote in the poll at the top of the thread and let me know if this interests you.

Comment

That shot with all the windows and snow looks freaking awesome dude.
                The snowy mountains was a great idea. Reminds me of the TV series: Helix.

I think you should give the option to be sold as a bundle, I personally wouldn't buy it, as I already own most of the content, but it would be a good option for people that did not. Its pretty obvious that your content is worth the asking price, so just give people the option I say.
                Outer Planet Studios
                http://outerplanet.webflow.io/

Comment

Originally posted by gozu View Post
                  That shot with all the windows and snow looks freaking awesome dude.
                  The snowy mountains was a great idea. Reminds me of the TV series: Helix.

I think you should give the option to be sold as a bundle, I personally wouldn't buy it, as I already own most of the content, but it would be a good option for people that did not. Its pretty obvious that your content is worth the asking price, so just give people the option I say.
                  Thanks Gozu!

I actually watched a few episodes of Helix. It was pretty interesting, though I did it mostly because I am a fan of Hiroyuki Sanada. =P

I appreciate your feedback on this. I'm leaning towards doing it, but wanted to make sure it would be something people would be interested in before I commit to it. It's definitely geared towards newcomers mostly. The collection environment is something I figured would be another cool thing to add as I have been wanting to release that but couldn't due to it requiring all packages.

Comment

Here are some more WIP shots for the Command Center pack. I'm really liking how this is coming along, can't wait to get this out to you all!

Starting to block out more of the ceiling.

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	1111851

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	1111852

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	1111853

Comment

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a bundle of all current packs + collection trailer environment for $99.99
                      Voted no, because of obvious reasons. From the perspective of a buyer who alrdy purchased some packs looks not that fair. And there is no way I will repurchase it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptaline View Post
                        Voted no, because of obvious reasons. From the perspective of a buyer who alrdy purchased some packs looks not that fair. And there is no way I will repurchase it again.
                        As is your prerogative. But please keep in mind this isn't geared towards existing customers, but newcomers to the series.

Comment

Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
                          As is your prerogative. But please keep in mind this isn't geared towards existing customers, but newcomers to the series.
                          Ofcorse. It's just I'm a newcomer too. Bought 2 packs few days ago. And now I ve found this thread.
                          Try to reproduce it from my perspecive or any1 else in the same situation. Mb you will find a solution, this would be great. Eg: Some of packs will contain these new uniq lvls which you will put in a collection pack.

P.S:
                          I'm not talking about the price. It's all about ur unic lvl which you put inside the collection pack.
                          Last edited by Medvega; 07-12-2016, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptaline View Post
                            Ofcourse. It's just I'm a newcomer too. Bought 2 packs few days ago. And now I ve found this thread.
                            Try to reproduce it from my perspecive or any1 else in the same situation. Mb you will find a solution, this would be great. Eg: Some of packs will contain these new uniq lvls which you will put in a collection pack.

P.S:
                            I'm not talking about the price. It's all about ur unic lvl which you put inside the collection pack.
                            When I say newcomers I mean people who haven't bought anything at all yet. Unfortunately due to the nature of bundles you aren't able to be inclusive with existing customers. Overall it's just a way to give people a discount for buying in bulk, the savings of $20. The collection environment is something I've wanted to give to my customers since I created it, but unfortunately couldn't since it required all of the packages and there was no way of delivering it to people who bought all of them. This bundle allows me to include it since everything is being delivered at once.

Just another thought on customers like you who buy one at a time, If I had my way I would make it where people who buy packs individually could get each subsequent purchase at a discounted price. I.E. Purchase Hallways, get Interiors $5 off. Purchase another pack get $5 off. That way repeat customers are rewarded for their continued support. Sadly this sort of capability isn't present in the UE4 Marketplace.

Thank you for your support of the packs though. =)

Comment

A small update. This is the shape I think I'll be going for with the sides/back.

Name:	18.jpg
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	1111929

Comment

Name:	gumroadcover.png
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	1111976

Modular SciFi Series Bundle Released!

Greetings everyone!

I am excited to announce the first ever bundle for the Modular SciFi Series! For newcomers who are looking to get the entire collection, you can now purchase it at a discounted price and obtain exclusive content!

What You Get
                                • Modular SciFi: Hallways + expansions
                                • Modular SciFi: Interios + expansion
                                • Modular SciFi: Props I
                                • Modular SciFi: Materials & Decals
                                • Exclusive example environment from Collection Trailer

Price: $99.99! Save $20 when you purchase the bundle!

Check here for more information and where to buy!

Also, be sure to subscribe for news updates, discounts and more!
                                Last edited by SE_JonF; 07-13-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X