No announcement yet.

Advanced Cel Shader Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some rough captures. You really want to go to Youtube and view them at full res, full screen to see what it's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJJm5g6lQ2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1laygzOobeI

Comment

One more shot before this goes off to the update factory:

Comment

I've made some progress on mobile cel shading that doesn't require a custom post-process effect. Here's a couple of shots of the new standalone materials from the editor, and then a couple of shots of the same scene from an iPhone Six Plus for comparison.

The materials support ink-edging along the profile of an object, hatching, texture-based brush stroke distortion and separate posterization of colour and luminosity.

UE4 IDE

iPhone Six Plus

Last edited by Antidamage; 06-06-2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

out on curiosity

the pirate scene you use for an example, what does the texture maps look like before you use you cel-shade asset?

Comment

Originally posted by Vata Raven View Post
            out on curiosity

the pirate scene you use for an example, what does the texture maps look like before you use you cel-shade asset?
            They're very simple textures. One of the cel shading functions will trace differences in colour and lightness, so you can use this to your advantage. There's a power control that lets you adjust how much difference it requires to shade and how strongly it traces. In the landscape on the last screenshot, you can see where I've set the falloff for this particular preset.

Before importing most of my textures I run a smart blur filter over them to smooth out detail I don't care as much about, such as on the palm leaves and the big ropes. This raises their threshold for being detail traced. Conversely, on the skull texture I didn't have to do anything. It all depends on the source.

And remember, you can always mix and match:

Last edited by Antidamage; 06-06-2015, 08:17 PM.

Comment

On a side note, anyone else slightly irritated by the default shader branch node, with how it's only <, == or >=? This is how you solve that:

Because real if/else commands are direly slow in GPU pipelines due to the fragment needing to be potentially loaded/unloaded for each pixel, it's actually faster to leave your entire fragment there, render both branches and lerp between them. This function does that for you.

Comment

was just asking because I'm trying to figure out an art style, and a texture that would fit into it, and you example wasn't using this ultra-realistic look
                Last edited by Vata Raven; 06-06-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vata Raven View Post
                  was just asking because I'm trying to figure out an art style, and a texture that would fit into it
                  Gotcha. If you already have the assets, check out the different cel shader presets. I'd also recommend loading up the Epic sample content such as Matinee Fight Scene and the Landscape demos and inject the cel shader into those projects then play with it. You'll quickly get a feel for what results different textures give you. The landscape demo looks great with the defaults while the matinee fight scene requires lots of work to get looking good.

In general hand-painted textures with brush-stroke looking detail on top of flat or graduated shading in them come out looking great. If you're sourcing from photographic material, definitely try running a smart blur over it in Photoshop.

There's a bit more detailed overview of how to texture for the cel shader here: http://skull.co.nz/how-to-texture-for-cel-shading/

Comment

Cel Shader Update

An update to the cel shader will be up on the marketplace soon. This update includes:

Pixelation filter
                    Various speed and quality improvements
                    Mobile cel shader preview

Look for it in the next few days!
                    Last edited by Antidamage; 06-07-2015, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Antidamage View Post
                      If you're sourcing from photographic material, definitely try running a smart blur over it in Photoshop.
                      I'm going to avoid using photos in my texture work, I'm aiming to make sure the textures stay dynamic with Allegorithmic's software. I want this sort of anime-realism look, visualizing the skin for character isn't hard (just look at the FF10-13 hi-res renders), but matching an environment style to it is stumping me a bit

Comment

I've played with Allegorithmic a bit, but not enough to know how to do the things I'd recommend, but this is the kind of look I'd try to achieve: https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...3Gg&gws_rd=ssl

Comment

guess it'll come down to searching for another game that has that look that sparks it in my head, and getting an environment look that will stand the test the time (which is what I aim for, and my reasoning of not wanting to use photo references), and I assume, the texture would be easier to craft without aiming for the ultra-realism look

Comment

I would really recommend playing around and trying out different combinations with the cel shader. There's lots of styles I haven't provided presets for and you might be surprised at what you can do. One of the main things about the cel shader is that there are literally no existing games using this technique to shade, so you're on totally new ground. There's nobody to copy from, only ideas to borrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Antidamage View Post
                              One of the main things about the cel shader is that there are literally no existing games using this technique to shade
                              when my internet allows it, I"ll buy it to play with it, but it still boils down to getting a texture look that fits into the world

Comment

Where is the testing scene at with the asset? I see the models, but not a box to load the full scene

Edit: Never mind
                                Last edited by Vata Raven; 06-08-2015, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X