Dungeon Crawler Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SUPPORT] Dungeon Crawler Toolkit

Welcome to the support thread for the Dungeon Crawler Toolkit! This toolkit, which is available for purchase in the Unreal Engine marketplace.​

This asset provides all the essential components you need to start making your own first-person grid-based dungeon crawler, in the style of classics like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master and Legend of Grimrock. Let players create a party of varied character classes and have them fight, solve puzzles and loot their way through intricate, multi-level dungeons. The project is built on well-organized and commented blueprints, using a heavily data driven design which makes modifying and extending the toolkit simple, even for non-programmers.

Feature Trailer

​​ ​​
    ​​​​

Feature list
    • Character creation
    • Inventory system
    • Stats and abilities
    • Powers and spells
    • Grid-based real-time movement
    • Multi-level dungeons
    • Monsters with AI
    • Saving, loading and level transitions
    Join the DCT Discord!

Tutorial Playlist:

Creative Commons Assets:

This toolkit contains many assets that were not made by me, but which are licences under liberal creative commons licenses. I am extremely grateful that these amazing content creators have made their assets freely available. Without having access to these assets it would have been a much bigger challenge to create good looking game examples. You do not need to buy the toolkit to use these assets as they are freely available elsewhere. The included assets are as follows:

Models by Quaternius (dungeon, items and monsters)

Sounds by HaelDB (footsteps), qubodup (impacts), JaggedStone (ambiance), Kenney (Various)

Portraits by Buch

Icons by Lorc
    Last edited by Monokkel; 07-09-2020, 12:35 PM.
    Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Dungeon Crawler Toolkit (Marketplace - Support)

Discord

Click for Trello with more detailed changelog, known issues and planned features

Changelog:

v1.01 (sent to Epic)
    • Splittable item stacks
    • Fixed issue with incorrect dungeon bounds displayed for non-standard tile sizes
    • Friendly names for items and powers
    • Warning message display
    • Varous fixes
    Last edited by Monokkel; 07-10-2020, 10:30 AM.

Discord

Comment

[Reserved for other updates]

Discord

Comment

First tutorial video is up! This one explains the basics of how to set up a level, including items, monsters and some interactables:

Discord

Comment

The Dungeon Crawler toolkit is currently part of Epic's marketplace showcase, and will be 20% off for the duration!

Discord

Comment

A new tutorial video has been added. This one goes through how to add new items and item effects:

Discord

Comment

A new tutorial for the Dungeon Crawler Toolkit is live. The tutorial explains how to add new stats to DCT and use these to add new game mechanics. As an example I show how to implement a hunger system in DCT.

Discord

Comment

After creating a brand new project from the Toolkit, I'm seeing the following error on Launch:

Spoiler

Is this a known issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Schoonology View Post
                  After creating a brand new project from the Toolkit, I'm seeing the following error on Launch:

Spoiler

Is this a known issue?
                  Hi Schoonology, this is not a known issue. Are you seeing this error in the log? Does it crash the engine or the game? Are you running this on Windows or something else?

Discord

Comment

have you ever planned more enemies than that one which is currently? bigger and more difficult maybe

Comment

Originally posted by tero83 View Post
                      have you ever planned more enemies than that one which is currently? bigger and more difficult maybe
                      There are five enemies included. Three different slimes (normal, fire and ice) and two skeletons (normal and lich). They have varying difficulty, size and abilities. But perhaps you meant something else?

Edit: But yes, more enemies are also planned.
                      Last edited by Monokkel; 09-10-2020, 09:53 AM.

Discord

Comment

Hi All, What Could be the best way to incorporate a third person view showing the actuals 4 characters? and how one could link the animation, items, and characters to the DCT RPG Logic...? Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by DredyKabal View Post
                          Hi All, What Could be the best way to incorporate a third person view showing the actuals 4 characters? and how one could link the animation, items, and characters to the DCT RPG Logic...? Thanks again
                          Hi DredyKabal, this is a pretty complex question, so I thought the best way to answer is would be to give you the steps for achieving this. The suggestion below is a relatively quick mock up, so there is plenty of room for improvement, and depending on how you're designing your game you might want to do things differently. But this should hopefully be enough to get you started.

I will be using the SK_Slime skeletal mesh as a placeholder for representing the player characters. I modify the skeleton of this skeletal mesh and add two sockets to its hands for holding items:

Next I'm creating a new blueprint for representing our visual player characters in the game. I'm calling it BP_CharacterActor. I add the slime skeletal mesh and a couple of empty static mesh components for holding items. I attach these components to the two sockets we just made:

Next in the event graph of this actor I add two events that respectively move or turn the actor. These will be driven externally by our DungeonPawn:

I also add some code for changing the appearance of our held item meshes when an item is equipped, as well as an event for animating the skeletal mesh when an item is used:

Ok, our new blueprint is done. Time to hook it up to our DungeonPawn. In BP_DungeonPawn I'm creating a new variable that will hold references to all our CharacterActors, as well as keep them paired with the appropriate BP_PlayerCharacter object. It is a TMap with a BP_PlayerCharacter reference as a key and BP_CharacterActor as a value. I'm calling it CharacterActors. At BeginPlay I loop through all the PlayerCharacters stored in the game state, create a CharacterActor for each, place it in a simple grid surrounding the center of our pawn and add them to our CharacterActors TMap, like so:

I increase the length of the SpringArm to 200 and hit play. We're getting somewhere:

As soon as we move the slimes stay put, though. Time to hook up the pawn movement code to the events we made in our CharacterActors earlier.

This is part of the MoveStep event:

And this is part of the MoveTurn section:

Great, now we've got our slimes moving along with our pawn, but we still cannot visualize them equipping items. This is going to take some work.

We go to WBP_Slot, the widget blueprint representing inventory slots. We want to add functionality that can affect other blueprints in our projects, like our CharacterActors without making our code too spaghettified. Event Dispatchers are a good fit for this. I add two new event dispatchers to WBP_Slot, to be called when items are equipped, unequipped or used. I have them take a WBP_Item blueprint as a parameter:

I call them in them in the following places:

Ok, so far so good. Now we need to tie these interface events to the appropriate slots and call our item equip and use events from there. We can use WBP_MiniCharacter for this, which is the tiny "character sheet" that shows our portrait, health and what items are equipped in our hands. Here is what I do:

And there we are! We are visualizing our characters, they are moving along with our pawn, can equip items and animate when the items are used. Clearly there is much room for improvement, but this should give you something to build upon:

Discord

Comment

Working...
                          X