Blockout Tools Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arkdzo View Post
    Hi! Can you make a new plugin, which will provide an easy way to create new categories in the left Modes window? For example, I creating 3-10 boxes with your Blockout Tools, setup it (tags, color, size) and want to reuse it. I need a new category in the left Modes corner, for example, "Test Blocks 1" where I will add my ready assets\actors. And then, I will create a new level with these assets.
    Hello! So here's the easy way to create a reusable custom blockout:
    1. Inside your project create a Blueprint Class
    2. Pick a parent class which you'd like to inherit, perhaps a Blockout_Box
    3. Overwrite some default settings inside, tags, etc.
    4. And it's ready to use
    Now speaking to adding custom actors to the your own category, I'd personally recommend to use TopShelf plugin. It's cheap and works just as expected and it will work in that case. I think I saw an alternative to TopShelf on marketplace too, so there's a choice.
    Let me know if you have further questions!
    Marketplace - Blockout Tools Plugin
    @skx_doom | Solo developer at somberhead.com

Comment

So there's some performance issues in plugin noticed by one of the users. When you duplicating blockouts if freezes for a moment and it gets pretty bad in 4.24. I'm currently investigating that and it seems like the freeze is happening when a blockout creates Material Instance Dynamic for itself in runtime.
      Though creating MID is pretty important here, I'll try to fix this.
      I'm currently running into this problem with 4.24.3, it's even going as far as crashing my editor at times. It seems to relieve the problem temporarily when building the scene but comes back after 3 or 4 duplications.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugoo View Post

I'm currently running into this problem with 4.24.3, it's even going as far as crashing my editor at times. It seems to relieve the problem temporarily when building the scene but comes back after 3 or 4 duplications.
        Yep, that was quite a problem apparently... Sorry about that.
        But I managed to fix it just recently, which is good news. Hope to release the update in the coming days!

Comment

Happy to inform that "freeze on duplication" problem is now pretty much solved in 1.22 update. It still could be improved even more by moving almost all blockout generation code in C++, but that could take some time and I was kinda in a hurry to fix this right now to ensure that the workflow experience will become stable again.
          Also added option to turn off shadows on blockouts individually by a request.
          Thanks for reporting back, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitry Karpukhin View Post
            Happy to inform that "freeze on duplication" problem is now pretty much solved in 1.22 update. It still could be improved even more by moving almost all blockout generation code in C++, but that could take some time and I was kinda in a hurry to fix this right now to ensure that the workflow experience will become stable again.
            Also added option to turn off shadows on blockouts individually by a request.
            Thanks for reporting back, guys!
            Excellent job! This update has completely eliminated the crashing on my side.

Thanks!

Comment

Nice tool! When I try to duplicate a blockout object using the "alt-drag in viewport"-method it freezes the Unreal editor for a couple of seconds. I'm using UE 4.24.3 and the latest plugin version 1.22.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreasG View Post
                Nice tool! When I try to duplicate a blockout object using the "alt-drag in viewport"-method it freezes the Unreal editor for a couple of seconds. I'm using UE 4.24.3 and the latest plugin version 1.22.
                Hmm, that's strange. I know this sounds stupid, but can you please reinstall whole plugin on your engine version? I had some bug with marketplace update with UE 4.22 just when I was updating plugin to 1.22. So after the update plugin showed correct version, BUT for some reason whole code base of plugin remained from 1.21 version. Wasn't sure what was going on, but reinstall helped!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitry Karpukhin View Post

Hmm, that's strange. I know this sounds stupid, but can you please reinstall whole plugin on your engine version? I had some bug with marketplace update with UE 4.22 just when I was updating plugin to 1.22. So after the update plugin showed correct version, BUT for some reason whole code base of plugin remained from 1.21 version. Wasn't sure what was going on, but reinstall helped!
                  I tested it again (without reinstalling) today and it seems to just work fine. Strange thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreasG View Post

I tested it again (without reinstalling) today and it seems to just work fine. Strange thing.
                    Yeah, kinda happened to me too. Seems like it's more related to Epic Games Launcher and how it works. A bit strange
                    But I guess it updated the plugin correctly to you now.

Comment

Working...
                    X