Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runtime DataTable - Import text CSV or Google Sheet at runtime and fill an array of structs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZhymonNorman View Post
    Jared Therriault first off I LOVE this plugin and the video resources your created are amazing. Currently I am working on a tvOS project using it and right now on a device the game cant seem to load a script for the plugin. Any ideas? see log below.
    Hi ZhymonNorman, thank you for the kind words! I'm really happy you're finding the plugin helpful!

This looks like it's saying it can't load the plugin at all, which isn't terribly surprising - I didn't explicitly compile a version for it. I've added tvOS to the whitelist, but I can't test on that device so I can't guarantee it will work. I plan to release this loose support with the 4.25 version (since I've redone the source for RDT to accommodate engine changes to the way properties are accessed).

In the meantime, you can try to compile this yourself! for 4.24 on your Mac, go to the Plugins > DynamicDataTable folder and open the uplugin file in a text editor.and add "tvOS" to the whitelisted platforms and save the uplugin file. Then in engine, go to the Toolbar, Edit > Plugins then find Runtime DataTable and click 'Package.' That should put it on all of the available whitelisted platforms that are supported on Mac. You may need to remove Windows and Linux entries from the whitelist to compile, but I'm not sure. Definitely remove iOS and Android if your engine is not configured for them.

If you decide to give this a shot and it doesn't work, post the log in here and I'll try to figure it out!
    Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
    - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Runtime Datatable
    -All the fun of DataTables dynamically loaded from text or Google Sheets while your game is running!

Comment

Jared Therriault wow that was a simple fix works like a charm now. No build issues either. Thank you for the quick response

Comment

Amazing, I'm glad to hear that! Cheers and good luck on your project!
        - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Runtime Datatable
        -All the fun of DataTables dynamically loaded from text or Google Sheets while your game is running!

Comment

Hi Jared Therriault

Thanks for this plugin it will be much useful to my project.
          But I can not make it work right now and I am asking your help.

I created an Google Forms which generated an Google Sheets as response and I try to use this Sheet in RDT but with no sucess.

See this snapshots and acess the Sheet, by the URL, and try to find what I am doing wrong, please.

Click image for larger version

Name:	struct.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1744796

Name:	BP.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	1744797

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	1744798

URL
          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...B-wcVtO3dzaNCg

Thanks

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention than I am using the 4.23 version.

Comment

Hey, just bought the plugin, thank you, its really great!

But i have a problem. I can set everything to work, loading data etc. But when i close Unreal and start it again (im working on cpp project, starts from visual) i get a few exceptions while starting project, and then when it opens the node to Fill data is all red. I need then to remove it and put it again and then it works. Any idea why? Do i have to add some modules to project or smth?

Comment

Originally posted by NRA_Brazil View Post
                Hi Jared Therriault

Thanks for this plugin it will be much useful to my project.
                But I can not make it work right now and I am asking your help.

I created an Google Forms which generated an Google Sheets as response and I try to use this Sheet in RDT but with no sucess.

See this snapshots and acess the Sheet, by the URL, and try to find what I am doing wrong, please.

Name:	struct.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1744796

Name:	BP.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	1744797

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	1744798

URL
                https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...B-wcVtO3dzaNCg

Thanks
                Hello NRA_Brazil! I tried to recreate the issue on my side but I was not successful. Could you please try to open the project on 4.24 with the latest version of the plugin and see if it occurs there? I tested this on 4.23 and 4.24, but if it works on 4.24 on your system that narrows down the issue to something in your project not playing nice with the 4.23 plugin.

Runtime Datatable

Comment

Originally posted by Vyznawca View Post
                  Hey, just bought the plugin, thank you, its really great!

But i have a problem. I can set everything to work, loading data etc. But when i close Unreal and start it again (im working on cpp project, starts from visual) i get a few exceptions while starting project, and then when it opens the node to Fill data is all red. I need then to remove it and put it again and then it works. Any idea why? Do i have to add some modules to project or smth?
                  Hi Vyznawca!

I can't think of any reason that would be happening, the plug-in is designed to be plug-and-play. Can you show me what the exceptions are? I can try and troubleshoot that for you.

Runtime Datatable

Comment

Version 4.25 submitted to marketplace!

This version adds the following features:
                    -Support for characters in wchar_t (accented letters now appear as expected)
                    -Timeout support; now the download occurs with a 30-second timeout so in the case of unstable internet, the script will no longer try to download indefinitely. It will default to the backup local CSV or abort the operation after 30 seconds unless the download succeeds.
                    -Support for FProperty; internally the plugin makes extensive use of the property system to automatically fill structs with their correct data types. In previous versions of the engine, this base entity was called UProperty. In 4.25, this entity was converted to FProperty (as an optimization) along with all of its child entities. Every usage of a UProperty-derived entity had to be changed to an FProperty-derived entity to remain compatible.

This version fixes the following bugs:
                    -If a link to a Google Sheets spreadsheet did NOT include 'gid=', the download would fail on previous versions. Now the plugin will assume you want the first tab of the spreadsheet and just download it if 'gid=' is omitted from the link rather than failing. The gid is an identifier for the specific tab of a spreadsheet that you want to download. You can get a link that has 'gid=' included by getting the link from the address bar in your browser rather than from the share screen/modal. Note that users on 4.24 and below will still be required to enter a link with the gid included. If your link already includes 'gid=', you will not need to do anything. The documentation has been updated to reflect this.

Why aren't these features and fixes included in 4.24 or 4.23?

I know this can be a little frustrating for users who are not ready or not willing to upgrade to 4.25, but back-porting is not a practical action for me with this release. There are two reasons:

1. New features were designed after the conversion from UProperty to FProperty, so making new features work in 4.24 would require me to maintain two separate versions of the plugin; one for UProperty-supporting engine versions and one for FProperty-supporting engine versions. This is not a sustainable practice.
                    2. 4.25 requires version 21 of NDK for Android compilations while 4.24 does not support NDK 21. I upgraded other non-UE projects that use NDK to use version 21 now, so there is no going back at this point.

If you need the new features for your project in 4.24, contact me and I can get a Windows development version for you with said features. You will need to compile for any other platforms on your own however. Moving forward, bug fixes and new features, if any, will be exclusive to 4.25 or higher.

Thanks everyone and Cheers!

Runtime Datatable

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Therriault View Post

Hello NRA_Brazil! I tried to recreate the issue on my side but I was not successful. Could you please try to open the project on 4.24 with the latest version of the plugin and see if it occurs there? I tested this on 4.23 and 4.24, but if it works on 4.24 on your system that narrows down the issue to something in your project not playing nice with the 4.23 plugin.
                      After working on 4.25, I found the issue to be the absence of 'gid=' in your link. There are two fixes here:

1. Make sure your link has 'gid=' included. You can get the link from the address bar of your browser instead of from the sharing screen/modal.
                      OR
                      2. Update your project to engine version 4.25 and plugin version 4.25 (when available).

This should solve your problem, but feel free to write back if it doesn't!

Runtime Datatable

Comment

I make one test, found that this can only work for packed game for load csv data from disk ? how can it work on editor mode ?

Comment

Originally posted by franklzt View Post
                          I make one test, found that this can only work for packed game for load csv data from disk ? how can it work on editor mode ?
                          Fixed the problem

Comment

If I fill blank string for google url,it means I need load data from disk, load it from disk directly, instead of requesting from google and then load from disk. Hope next update can fix this problem. I modify it myself first.

Comment

Originally posted by franklzt View Post
                              If I fill blank string for google url,it means I need load data from disk, load it from disk directly, instead of requesting from google and then load from disk. Hope next update can fix this problem. I modify it myself first.
                              Hey franklzt! That is by design. Rather than having a series of bool parameters to choose what to do, the expected flow is to simply leave the Sheets URL blank to use a local path.

Runtime Datatable

Comment

Would it be possible to export a data structure to excell in runtime?

Comment

Working...
                                X