Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runtime DataTable - Import text CSV or Google Sheet at runtime and fill an array of structs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RELEASED] Runtime DataTable - Import text CSV or Google Sheet at runtime and fill an array of structs!

This plugin will load a text csv or download a public Google Sheet and add parsed values to a matching USTRUCT at Runtime. All data types supported by the built-in UE4 DataTable are supported by this plugin.

Price: $9.99

Link:
    https://unrealengine.com/marketplace...time-datatable

Runtime Data Table or “RDT” is a plugin for Unreal Engine 4 that loads a Comma-Separated Values or CSV document at runtime with a USTRUCT’s variables in text form and fills an array of that USTRUCT with the appropriate values, converting text into the appropriate type.

RDT can be likened to the Data Table system built into UE4, but while that system works only at design time, this plugin is made to work while the game is running.

The system works by downloading a public Google Sheet or loading a CSV from disk and attempts to fill an array of USTRUCTS with values loaded and converted from the CSV. After the attempt is made, the plugin will call a function defined by the user to signal that the plugin has finished its duties.

Features:
    • Runtime parsing of Data Tables
    • Automatic filling of USTRUCTs
    • Connectivity with Google Sheets - edit values on the fly, no need to reimport CSVs manually

Code Modules:
    • Runtime Data Table: A runtime module that handles the download/ and parsing,

Number of Blueprints: 0

Number of C++ Classes: 2

Network Replicated: No

Supported Development Platforms: Windows

Supported Target Build Platforms: Win32, Win64, HTML5, Android, Mac (Mac pending file update)

Documentation: Documentation is found here and in the Resources folder.

Demo: A Win32 packaged demo can be found here. Includes a TestStruct.csv (WindowsNoEditor\CSV_Test\Saved) that can be edited with the results showing in-game on-demand when 'Execute It' is clicked.

What Is Runtime Data Table and Please Video-Teach Me How to Use This Thing So I Don't Have To Read
    Last edited by Jared Therriault; 10-30-2019, 12:34 AM.
    Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
    - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Runtime Datatable
    -All the fun of DataTables dynamically loaded from text or Google Sheets while your game is running!

Was thinking about this exact thing. I know you've listed this as not being network replicated, but do you see any issue having this work with a networked scenario, assuming i update all clients datatables via google drive, or other cloud save?

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBots View Post
      Was thinking about this exact thing. I know you've listed this as not being network replicated, but do you see any issue having this work with a networked scenario, assuming i update all clients datatables via google drive, or other cloud save?
      Hi MagicBots! Thank you for stopping by. I don't think there is any issue to be encountered in a networked scenario if you design for it. I think there are a few options you have:
      • Have each client download the sheet (or load a local CSV)
      • Have the server download the sheet (or provide a master CSV) and replicate the array of structs manually
      • Have the server download the sheet (or provide a master CSV) and have each client request a copy of its associated struct by providing a key name
      - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Runtime Datatable
      -All the fun of DataTables dynamically loaded from text or Google Sheets while your game is running!

Comment

Android support is now live! Mac and iOS support may be added as soon as this week!

Runtime Datatable

Comment

Mac OS and iOS support are now live!

Keep in mind I am unable to test iOS support right now.

All other supported platforms are fully tested! If you have issues on any platform, please contact me first so I can deploy a fix, please do not leave a bad review first!

Runtime Datatable

Comment

Hello, Jared!
            How complicated is it to edit data of the Google sheet during play? I saw that you mentioned it is possible, would you perhaps have time to show how to set that up?
            Plugin looks great either way - will probably jump on it when I get the time to try out my next project!

Comment

Originally posted by Connecta View Post
              Hello, Jared!
              How complicated is it to edit data of the Google sheet during play? I saw that you mentioned it is possible, would you perhaps have time to show how to set that up?
              Plugin looks great either way - will probably jump on it when I get the time to try out my next project!
              Hola Connecta!

To be clear, you can manually edit a Google Sheet during gameplay by editing the spreadsheet through web. There is no way through the Google API (as of now) to edit from third party code - but I'll keep looking into that.

If you want to edit a CSV at runtime through code this can be user-managed with the save and load text functions included with the plugin, but the plugin doesn't manage that as of now. If this is a feature you'd like, could you explain the use case? I'll need to understand your needs before I can analyze the cost-benefit relationship.

Runtime Datatable

Comment

Working...
              X