No announcement yet.

Grid Creation Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP preview screenshot for the new Concentric Circles grid configuration coming in the v1.3 update:

Click image for larger version

Name:	conc13preview.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	1692451
    Unreal Possibilities
    Wave Spawning System | Tower Defense Starter Kit | Grid Creation Systems

Comment

The v1.3 update has been submitted to the Marketplace.

ChangeLog:

Added a new Grid Configuration: Concentric Circles with evenly spaced (arc length) grid points distribution across all circles.
      • Helper Functions: GetIndicesForAllGridCellsInCircle
      Last edited by Stormrage256; 12-02-2019, 05:18 AM.
      Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Hi, the v1.4 update has been submitted to the Marketplace. I've added a new example scenario demonstrating the Rectangular Grid Configuration being used for basic player interaction. Thanks to those of you who requested the feature, I've now learnt to draw Pac-man using grids.

Since this is an example scenario built on top of the core grid generation framework, I've added the new files to a new "Extras" folder under Blueprints. You can load up the new level from the Maps folder and try it out for yourself.
        Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Hello, Rohit, long time no "see"! ;-) I would like to ask (before dig thru all the threads etc) - if i place actors in grid, can those be "bunch of actors", and by choice also randomized? Think city squares of buildings, as example.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder_Owl View Post
            Hello, Rohit, long time no "see"! ;-) I would like to ask (before dig thru all the threads etc) - if i place actors in grid, can those be "bunch of actors", and by choice also randomized? Think city squares of buildings, as example.
            Hi Juris, yea it's been quite a while. But given the situation, I haven't seen much of anyone at all these past few months. I'm assuming that you're referring to the standard square grids. And by bunch of actors, is something like this (it's handcrafted, not generated through code) where you'd have a bunch of buildings randomly placed around certain grid cells, what you had in mind:

Click image for larger version

Name:	grid.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	1798134
            Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Hi, glad to see you again My question is, can your system be used as a randomizable "city" generator, if i have a collection of static meshes - buildings, or, possibly, actors - buildings. Not sure, maybe your asset is for other situations entirely.

Comment

Hi, glad to see you again My question is, can your system be used as a randomizable "city" generator, if i have a collection of static meshes - buildings, or, possibly, actors - buildings. Not sure, maybe your asset is for other situations entirely.
                All the grid cells locations are stored in an array. So if you want something that's completely random, yes it's simply a matter of getting random elements from said array and placing an actor or mesh component at that location. Here is an example scenario where we have 40 blocks randomly spawned on a 20x20 grid across a 400x400 sq units area:

Click image for larger version  Name:	randombuildtest.jpg Views:	0 Size:	359.8 KB ID:	1798225

And here's another with 100 blocks:

Click image for larger version  Name:	100test.jpg Views:	0 Size:	311.4 KB ID:	1798228

From there you can take it and even randomize the buildings as well from a pool of mesh components or actors.
                Last edited by Stormrage256; 08-07-2020, 11:40 AM.
                Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Thank you for answering! But.. To be clear, this part "getting random elements from said array and placing an actor or mesh component at that location" - that is not a part of your plugin, do i understand right?

Comment

Thank you for answering! But.. To be clear, this part "getting random elements from said array and placing an actor or mesh component at that location" - that is not a part of your plugin, do i understand right?
                    That's not, but let me know if you're interested. I'll just share the screenshots with you.
                    Unreal Possibilities

Comment

For everyone interested - this asset is on -50% sale right now. You're welcome.

Comment

For everyone interested - this asset is on -50% sale right now. You're welcome.
                        Thanks for the shoutout, Juris. Were you able to get the random cell configuration working for your project?
                        Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Originally posted by Stormrage256 View Post

Thanks for the shoutout, Juris. Were you able to get the random cell configuration working for your project?
                          Hello! Currently i have experimental map, based on another grid generator, but - I also bought your asset now, to try, compare, combine, etc. Since now I have it, I would love to see those nodes screens you were using on spawning at random cells, that you mentioned previously. Thanks!
                          P.S.: on my Yotube couple of latest videos are around grid-generated city.

Comment

Thunder_Owl Sure, you can follow these steps to get it up and running in your project:
                            1. Create a child blueprint based on BP_GridCreator_Rectangle.
                            2. Open the new blueprint and add the following function to it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	randgridfunc1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	371.0 KB ID:	1807436
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	randgridfunc2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	366.4 KB ID:	1807437

Just make sure to set the value of the Spawn Actor Class variable to the building class that you want to spawn.
                            3. Finally, in the Event Begin Play, we'll just remove the default grid visualization & instead call this new function.

Click image for larger version  Name:	randgridebp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	365.0 KB ID:	1807435
                            And that's all there is to it. Just drag the new blueprint into the level, maybe increase its Grid Count, press Play and you should have something similar to what I had shown in the earlier screenshots. You can change the final index of the For Loop to control how many randomized buildings are placed in the level.

I've not been active on social media lately, so I missed out on all the updates on Twitter & Youtube. Will check out the video after work.
                            Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Thank You for help!

Comment

Thank You for help!
                                Happy to help
                                Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Working...
                                X