Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RuntimeMeshImportExport - Import and Export runtime created static meshes using Assimp library

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Version 1.6
    -Changed progress update. Instead of a string, an enum and the progress numbers are returned. This allows for custom text that can also be translated as part of the application.
    -Async import now also returnes progress
    -Progress is expanded to contain progress of Assimp import and export process.
    NodePrefabs | PluginBuilder | NotificationBackbone | WidgetBox | RuntimeMeshImportExport | DebugWidget | SteamWorkshopAccessor

    Comment


      #32
      Version 1.7
      -Changed how Normals are treated regarding scaling. Previously these were not affected, now they seem to fit.
      -When using negative scale on the object on import, triangle winding order is flipped for 1 and 3 negative values (x,y,z). This will prevent inside out models.
      -TexAmbient (TextureParameter) and Ambient (VectorParameter) are not imported for materials anymore as they seem to be a duplicate of TexDiffuse/Diffuse.
      NodePrefabs | PluginBuilder | NotificationBackbone | WidgetBox | RuntimeMeshImportExport | DebugWidget | SteamWorkshopAccessor

      Comment


        #33
        Hi,
        I've imported an fbx generated in another application using RuntimeMeshimportExport. This file imports into Blender just fine but when importing into Unreal with this plugin the position and orientations are all off. Is there something funky going on with relative positioning of mesh data?

        Here's the fbx I'm importing:
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ET1...ew?usp=sharing

        Any help appreciated. Thanks

        Blender result:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	fbxissueblender.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1723267
        Blueprint:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	fbxissuebp.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1723268

        Import result
        Click image for larger version

Name:	fbxissueue4.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1723266
        Attached Files

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Ronan_3DCS View Post
          Hi,
          I've imported an fbx generated in another application using RuntimeMeshimportExport. This file imports into Blender just fine but when importing into Unreal with this plugin the position and orientations are all off. Is there something funky going on with relative positioning of mesh data?

          Here's the fbx I'm importing:
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ET1...ew?usp=sharing

          Any help appreciated. Thanks
          Will have a look at it later today. Thanks for the file.

          Comment


            #35
            Ronan_3DCS Thats more like it?

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1723491

            I messed up the composing of transforms with version 1.6
            NodePrefabs | PluginBuilder | NotificationBackbone | WidgetBox | RuntimeMeshImportExport | DebugWidget | SteamWorkshopAccessor

            Comment


              #36
              Rumbleball That looks great! And the orientation was my own fault, I didn't convert the axis to UE4s Z-up...but I guess there's a feature request for ya.
              When will you be pushing out an update?
              Thanks

              Edit:: Got your PM, thanks!

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Ronan_3DCS View Post
                Rumbleball That looks great! And the orientation was my own fault, I didn't convert the axis to UE4s Z-up...but I guess there's a feature request for ya.
                When will you be pushing out an update?
                Thanks

                Edit:: Got your PM, thanks!
                I can't auto correct the rotation as every programm writes the transforms different. You need to find the programm and export format you can work with, then set a fixed transform for correction.

                Unreal also does not do that when importing as StaticMesh into the editor.
                NodePrefabs | PluginBuilder | NotificationBackbone | WidgetBox | RuntimeMeshImportExport | DebugWidget | SteamWorkshopAccessor

                Comment


                  #38
                  Hi,

                  I'm trying to use your plugin to import .gltf and .glb files with their material into my scene at runtime. I have managed to import the assets into the scene at runtime but I am not sure how to extract the material info into a useable material and then apply it to the mesh.

                  How would you do this? and is it possible?

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Blueprint-responsible-for-importing-in-runtime-assets.PNG
Views:	25
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	1725607

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by jimlacube View Post
                    Hi,

                    I'm trying to use your plugin to import .gltf and .glb files with their material into my scene at runtime. I have managed to import the assets into the scene at runtime but I am not sure how to extract the material info into a useable material and then apply it to the mesh.

                    How would you do this? and is it possible?
                    Your code seems fine. Where exactly is your problem? The material must provide Parameters (Vector/Scalar/Texture) with the appropriate names printed with MaterialInfoToLogString.
                    I can only repeat myself regarding the Material import: strong dependency on exporting tool, what the file format supports and how assimp retrieves the data from the file.
                    NodePrefabs | PluginBuilder | NotificationBackbone | WidgetBox | RuntimeMeshImportExport | DebugWidget | SteamWorkshopAccessor

                    Comment


                      #40
                      @jimlacube As Rumbleball said you need to create a material that matches with the right parameter names and use that as source material in your "Material Info to Dynamic Material". Here is my material example:

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Material1.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1725806Click image for larger version

Name:	Material2.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1725807

                      All those parameters are filled by the importer (if available). Now it depends what you want to use and what your file brings with it. This example is based on an obj import that comes with an mtl file. In my case the mtl file contains all kind of material infos like Ni, Diffuse, TexDiffuse and so on.

                      As you can see I only use a few (also work in progress) but the material info contains so much more. Just start somewhere but stick to the naming convention that way you make sure the "Material Info to Dynamic Material" replaces/sets the correct values. Whoever created the .gltf and .glb files should be able to tell you what material parameter it provides.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Thank you for the reply, I managed to work out that I needed to create a dynamic material for the mesh.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X