No announcement yet.

The Curviest Curve - All The Curves You Want, Named However You Like

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RELEASED] The Curviest Curve - All The Curves You Want, Named However You Like

My first plugin, The Curviest Curve, just made it through the Unreal Marketplace approval process!

All the curves you want, all the colors you need, named however you like, all in one curve asset. I'm stupidly proud of this thing.

Here's an example of how it can be used:

I've grown very fond of using curve assets all over the place with UE. I think it's an essential part of a designer's toolkit. The advantage in using curves is that you get a visual authoring tool to create some very complex behaviors that would otherwise require a lot of math and be much harder to adjust.

In the example above, each box's height offset is controlled by an individual curve in a single curve asset. I do lookups into the curve asset with a time value, and use the Y axis to multiply with a height offset. This could have been accomplished with the builtin float, vector, and color curves, but the more complex your behavior, and the more parameters you're trying to drive, the harder it is to keep everything straight.

I reached a point where working with the builtin versions was becoming painful. I needed to have a way to keep all the curves in one file to drive as many parameters as I want, and ideally I wanted to be able to name them as well so I would be able to come back to it later and adjust them easily as needed... So I built this.

Enjoy!

I'd use the "Shut up and take my money!" image here, but we already bought it.

I too have been using curves a lot and I thank you for this plugin.
    Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris View Post
      I'd use the "Shut up and take my money!" image here, but we already bought it.

I too have been using curves a lot and I thank you for this plugin.
      Thank you, Kris! What types of things have you been using curves for? I'm thinking of putting together a tutorial video about using curve assets in Unreal. Even when not using my plugin, it can be such a useful tool.

Comment

Firearms and AI mostly.
        For firearms, curves are used for recoil when firing and positions based on player input.
        For AI, curves are used to sight distances, peripheral vision, how far they can hear foot steps, gunfire etc.

Very convenient when you need to tweak the things they control, since you can see the results instantly when running the game in the viewport.
        Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

Very convenient when you need to tweak the things they control, since you can see the results instantly when running the game in the viewport.
          That's great. I didn't realize you could edit curve assets at runtime! That will be very useful with what I'm working on right now.

Firearms and AI mostly.
          For firearms, curves are used for recoil when firing and positions based on player input.
          For AI, curves are used to sight distances, peripheral vision, how far they can hear foot steps, gunfire etc.
          I'd love to see what these look like. Recoil sounds like a fun application for curves, and probably simple enough for a tutorial.

If I was building it, I think I'd probably have the time value be incremented whenever a bullet fires, and then have a decay amount... the curve itself would just be used to control the direction and strength of the recoil kick. Is this how you were using them?

Comment

Working...
          X