Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stereo Panoramic Player

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Hi there! Before buying Id love to know a few things:

    - Does this support point and click interaction with a motioncontroller (if so, which ones) or only with gazing?
    - Does this support the Oculus Go and Quest?

    Thanks!

    Comment


      #32
      Hi! Thanks for asking. Answers below.

      Originally posted by RobbeVlaeminck View Post
      - Does this support point and click interaction with a motioncontroller (if so, which ones) or only with gazing?
      By default the Panoramic Director (the high-level API) doesn't use the motion controllers while in "panoramic" mode. But adding support to interact with the motion controllers is simple:If instead you are using the low level API, all interactions are managed manually. See https://www.unamedia.com/ue4-stereo-...ps_interaction .

      Due to how UE4 renders transparent objects and how motion controller meshes are managed, visualizing the motion controllers inside the panoramic sphere requires two more steps:
      • you must assign Translucent materials to your motion controllers (if you're using a custom mesh it's trivial, otherwise you can rely on the Display Mesh Material Overrides property of the Motion Controller Component);
        Click image for larger version

Name:	mat_override.PNG
Views:	25
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1708534
      • you must set the property Translucent Sort Priority, of the static mesh component rendering the motion controllers (by default it should be the DisplayComponent property - but could change depending on the VR system used), to a value greater than 100. E.g. with the VIVE:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	SetTranslucentSortPriority.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1708533

      Originally posted by RobbeVlaeminck View Post
      - Does this support the Oculus Go and Quest?
      The plugin doesn't have any dependency on the used VR system, so it works on any device supported by UE4.

      Comment


        #33
        Hi! Thanks for the fast response!

        So since its displaying the motion controllers with the translucent sort priority, Im assuming its rendering the stereoscopic images with a translucent material as well. Mobile GPUs dont like translucent materials all that much, so I was wondering what the actual performance impact of this is. How well does it run on an oculus quest? can it hit the targeted 72 hz while displaying videos?

        Thanks again!

        Kind regards,

        Robbe

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by RobbeVlaeminck View Post
          Hi! Thanks for the fast response!

          So since its displaying the motion controllers with the translucent sort priority, Im assuming its rendering the stereoscopic images with a translucent material as well. Mobile GPUs dont like translucent materials all that much, so I was wondering what the actual performance impact of this is. How well does it run on an oculus quest? can it hit the targeted 72 hz while displaying videos?

          Thanks again!

          Kind regards,

          Robbe
          You are right, the panoramic sphere uses a translucent material. But the rendering of the panoramic sphere is usually very cheap. We tested our Demo Application on both iOS and Android low-end devices (e.g. iPhone 6S) without noticing performance issues (with both images and videos). Usually - due their dimensions - the used assets are the more critical part for the final performances. Unfortunately I don't have numbers of the plugin running on the Oculus Quest. To keep an high frame rate, ensure to use texture that are POT and are using the best format for the hardware; for videos, ensure to encode them so that the decoding can be done in hardware.

          (Just a clarification: the plugin doesn't render the motion controllers, if you want to render them then you have to follow the above instructions.)

          Comment


            #35
            Alright, I bought the plugin, and its very easy to use, but Im having some slight issues. I added a stereopanoramic video to test things out, and while it works great in editor, the video is not playing on the Oculus Go. All I can see is a green texture(I added a screenshot), while the sound is working just fine. Both the ES2 and ES3.1 preview show the video just fine in the editor as well.
            The video is also in the correct 'Movies' folder, so it packages correctly.
            (The pink in the screenshot is just a rectangle to test the translucency sorting)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	com.YourCompany.NMBS_V1202001161433531.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1709410

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by RobbeVlaeminck View Post
              Alright, I bought the plugin, and its very easy to use, but Im having some slight issues. I added a stereopanoramic video to test things out, and while it works great in editor, the video is not playing on the Oculus Go. All I can see is a green texture(I added a screenshot), while the sound is working just fine. Both the ES2 and ES3.1 preview show the video just fine in the editor as well.
              The video is also in the correct 'Movies' folder, so it packages correctly.
              (The pink in the screenshot is just a rectangle to test the translucency sorting)
              Click image for larger version

Name:	com.YourCompany.NMBS_V1202001161433531.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1709410
              Hi! The plugin doesn't interact with the video, it simply uses the specified Media Texture (updated by the UE4 Media Player) when drawing the panoramic sphere. So I suspect the problem could be with the decoding of the video on the Oculus Go (or the format of the Media Texture when running in the Oculus Go). Here some useful links. You should be able to verify the setup simply applying your Media Texture to a plane in your scene (without using the Stereo Panoramic Player plugin), then you should see your video playing on the 3D plane.

              Comment

              Working...
              X