Utility AI Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by midix View Post
    Regarding that "situational awareness" - I just remembered some time ago I had a chat with Dave Mark (I guess, you can call him "the godfather of utility AI") on gamedev.net forums and when I asked about this issue of possible situational optimizations, he directed me to one more awesome video:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/102184...ter-Centaur-AI

It has a section about "Decision Maker Packages" and even mentions "situational packages" at 29 minutes of the video.

This might be a helpful idea to deal with situations when your AI considerations stack grows too large and gets difficult to tweak to avoid conflicts and inconsistencies and also for optimization to avoid running through the entire list of considerations. For example, when an NPC is at their home drinking a coffee, you don't want them to suddenly decide to find the closest bartender and pay for the coffee. Instead of tweaking the considerations to avoid such behavior, actually, you don't want to evaluate this option at all if the NPC's location is not inside a coffee shop. So, that's when those Decision Maker Packages might be very useful. We could categorize considerations and behaviors into distinct packages that should be evaluated in specific areas of the map and completely ignored in all the other areas and just use enter/leave volume events to trigger pushing/popping the situational packages.
    I've been using that as a basis for this actually.

I recently got the Hierarchal Task Network system asset and a quick look at it shows that it may handle a lot of what I need already personally. I haven't got into it too much though so maybe this is a simpler solution then that.
    Consider supporting me on patreon

Weapon Master and VRE Merge TUT

Life Art Studios | Discord | End of Days - VR Zombie Survival

Comment

Originally posted by Starkium View Post

I've been using that as a basis for this actually.

I recently got the Hierarchal Task Network system asset and a quick look at it shows that it may handle a lot of what I need already personally. I haven't got into it too much though so maybe this is a simpler solution then that.
      If this is the same HTN plugin I am thinking of, it does not have network replication, is that going to cause a problem for your project?

Edit: I spoke too soon, went back and looked at the Q&A for the plugin:

Replication IA

By Koleshy on October 7, 2020 2:06 PM - Edited on October 7, 2020 2:07 PM

Was this question helpful?

I was watching some of your videos but what about multiplayer support, I saw you use a "move to" integrated in your HTN, this is just for single player i think, how to convert this move to multiplayer, if you can give an example with it should be awesome and motivate me to buy this
      Latest Answer from Publisher

By projectable on October 7, 2020 2:14 PM

3 people found this answer helpful

AI only needs to run on the server, so replicating it is not necessary, just like with behavior trees. As long as you make your custom tasks’ behavior correctly replicate during plan execution, you’ll be able to use this in a networked game.

The HTN "MoveTo" task works exactly the same during plan execution as the Behavior Tree "MoveTo" task.
      That is, by making the character move, and character movement is replicated by default in Unreal Engine.

Last edited by McPhearson; 10-28-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sergeantgarbage View Post
        I think there's a pretty good market for this as utility AI seems like a kinda hot topic at the moment.

Might be worth scrimping together something to put on marketplace because imo something is better than nothing and there seems to be nothing at all on the marketplace for utility AI yet.
        Just gonna throw out that I have an AI plugin on the marketplace that uses Utility Scoring. Didn't wanna self promote but i saw another product named, and the statement wasn't true.. It uses Utility for the decision making, which is a huge portion of the work. Definitely different than a plain utility scoring system, but it still uses Utility as a core.

Docs and tuts are lacking because it's grown so much in the past year, but that's what i'm working on now as version 1.3 is ready for release.
        anyway feel free to delete this, ik this post is about another system :P
        Systems Design, Project Management, Level Design

Steam

Comment

Originally posted by TSpartanT View Post

Just gonna throw out that I have an AI plugin on the marketplace that uses Utility Scoring. Didn't wanna self promote but i saw another product named, and the statement wasn't true.. It uses Utility for the decision making, which is a huge portion of the work. Definitely different than a plain utility scoring system, but it still uses Utility as a core.

Docs and tuts are lacking because it's grown so much in the past year, but that's what i'm working on now as version 1.3 is ready for release.
          anyway feel free to delete this, ik this post is about another system :P
          That's cool, I'll check it out. Decision making and "thinking" for the ai was the easier part of the process here. What I'm doing with my package is a lot of systems, tools, helper nodes, and custom classes. I was going to rename the plugin to something more descriptive than utility AI as I want to include several example of AI set ups without going to crazy on the set up. AI is one of those things that is not a one size fits all so I'd rather do a "best practices" and working examples package.

There's some stuff though that I personally use from free third party packs so I may need to do a git hub for those kinds of set ups as I can't include those on the store.
          Consider supporting me on patreon

Weapon Master and VRE Merge TUT

Life Art Studios | Discord | End of Days - VR Zombie Survival

Comment

Originally posted by Starkium View Post

That's cool, I'll check it out. Decision making and "thinking" for the ai was the easier part of the process here. What I'm doing with my package is a lot of systems, tools, helper nodes, and custom classes. I was going to rename the plugin to something more descriptive than utility AI as I want to include several example of AI set ups without going to crazy on the set up. AI is one of those things that is not a one size fits all so I'd rather do a "best practices" and working examples package.

There's some stuff though that I personally use from free third party packs so I may need to do a git hub for those kinds of set ups as I can't include those on the store.
            I wouldn't say that the decision making bit was easy for me, though I was designing a whole new theory.

VisAI actually includes a whole set of tools, systems, and features that make development smoother and faster as well. Sounds like we had something similar in mind if you're interest in working together, reach out to me!
            Systems Design, Project Management, Level Design

Steam

Comment

Working...
            X