No announcement yet.

MSSR ★ Modular Snap System Runtime Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi scha Great plugin. The only issue I am running into is that I am using this for a Ylands type building system. And if I have many building (snapActor) actors near eachother when a Snap Preview actor is near, perf starts really tanking. Is there something I can disable or optimize to help this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	112119_MSSR_Slowdown.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	1689676

Another big question I had is, can the system be used with instanced static meshes?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Notion View Post
      Hi scha Great plugin. The only issue I am running into is that I am using this for a Ylands type building system. And if I have many building (snapActor) actors near eachother when a Snap Preview actor is near, perf starts really tanking. Is there something I can disable or optimize to help this?

Another big question I had is, can the system be used with instanced static meshes?

Thanks!
      Did you try to use the async option? There is an example of that in the example project. It will run the search for snap points on a separate thread, so the fps should not drop much. You can activate it on the preview actor and use SnapActorsAsync method. On your screenshot it's not used i think.

> Another big question I had is, can the system be used with instanced static meshes?

Good question. You can snap stuff to instanced static meshes if you add them in target actor components array in params struct. But I'm not sure if it's possible to snap an instance to something. The plugin expects an actor or a component as input of snap method. Do you move instances in your building system? Maybe you can snap a normal actor, like a placeholder, then move the instance accordingly?

That would be an interesting option to add to the plugin i think.
      Last edited by scha; 11-21-2019, 12:50 PM.
      Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
      Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
      TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

Comment

Hi everybody,
        I finally got an Oculus Rift, so I started to make a better VR example for the plugin. Check it out: https://inugames.itch.io/mssr-demos, it's the MSSRVRv3.zip

For the moment it's only the exe, I will put the project files later.

Some changes so far:

- Fixed a bug in the old example (it was attaching to the wrong component)
        - Control scheme remade, now it's Grip to grab/release, Grip+Trigger to detach. There is no separate modifier to snap, just move the cube close enough.
        And if you don't move the hand for a moment the snap preview will go away. This allows to hold the structure with one hand and to add cubes with another, without having 2 previews kicking in.
        - Cube are smaller, their default cubes were too big for VR
        - There was a bug in FindActorsNearHand, it sometimes couldn't find the cubes overlapping the hand, but only the left one. I don't know why. I replaced the overlap query method by another one and it works now.
        - Cubes have depenetration speed set to a reasonable value
        - Table was a BSP, which is not good for collision

My VR experience is only 2 days old, so please excuse the lack of dexterity and let me know if something can be improved or added!

Comment

New VR example is here, download project and playable demo https://inugames.itch.io/mssr-demos, it's the MSSRVRv3

I fixed some more bugs since previous post and added some stuff too. Let me know how it works for you.

There is also a tutorial:

Comment

Hi everybody,

For the Black Friday Sale the MSSR plugin is 30% off.

Check our marketplace page here:
            https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...file/Inu+Games

Comment

New tutorial: Preparing your own meshes for use with MSSR plugin.
              Explains lots of things about sockets.

Comment

Hi. Great plugin.
                I have a small problem. The preview works great but when I release the object it falls or snaps random to another object, although I use the same snap setting for the preview actor and for the SnapActor node

.Click image for larger version

Name:	Mesh.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1692506

Name:	BP.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1692507

Name:	Settings.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1692508
                I have an VR project with simple attaach detach (acually almost as in the vr example) as I said everything works great except that the snap actor snaps to an random actor in the scene and not to the one shown in the preview

Comment

Originally posted by LunaelleWolf View Post
                  Hi. Great plugin.
                  I have a small problem. The preview works great but when I release the object it falls or snaps random to another object, although I use the same snap setting for the preview actor and for the SnapActor node

I have an VR project with simple attaach detach (acually almost as in the vr example) as I said everything works great except that the snap actor snaps to an random actor in the scene and not to the one shown in the preview
                  It's difficult to say what's going on based just on the info you provided. One thing I notice is the "KeepRelative" in the detachFromActor. KeepRelative will move the GrabbedActor, so try to use keepworld maybe

Comment

Originally posted by scha View Post

It's difficult to say what's going on based just on the info you provided. One thing I notice is the "KeepRelative" in the detachFromActor. KeepRelative will move the GrabbedActor, so try to use keepworld maybe
                    Oh wow, that was really it. Changed to "keep world" and everyting works fine. Thats actually strange that the detach influences tha snap. But int the end untill it works I am happy. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by LunaelleWolf View Post

Oh wow, that was really it. Changed to "keep world" and everyting works fine. Thats actually strange that the detach influences tha snap. But int the end untill it works I am happy. Thanks a lot!
                      I'm glad it works.

Detach with "Keep Relative" will actually move the mesh, then the SnapActors which comes after that will search the snap points for this new position.

Keep Relative keeps the same relative transform of the mesh, it means its relative transform wrt the hand will become its new transform in the world. "Keep World" recalculates the mesh transform so it doesn't move after detach. I don't understand why the Keep Relative is a default option, seems pretty useless.

Comment

Working...
                      X